PostgreSQL vs. MySQL and Lasso

Erlend Garåsen

Hi,

The IT division at my university supports FileMaker, Oracle, and
PostgreSQL. Maybe they will support MySQL next year. We have a few MySQL
tables on our Lasso 7 server. If we upgrade to Lasso 8, we will have to
install our own MySQL version (we don't want to do that). Most of our
databases will be converted to FileMaker 7 if we upgrade.

But we actually have one, big application running on Lasso. I don't
think it is advisable to use FileMaker, so can anyone using PostgreSQL
with Lasso tell me about their experiences? I have tested Lasso with our
Oracle server, and so far, this is not something I will recommend. I
have noticed that some of you have had problems with PostgreSQL and Lasso 8.

The reason that we don't want to install MySQL is because we are working
with web applications, not databases, so we think that the database
group within the IT division should deal with such things. Maybe we will
have to convert the Lasso application to a Java Servlet, which is our
primary web application tool (but it would take unnecessary development
time to do this).

Erlend

--
Erlend Gar?sen
University of Oslo

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL and Lasso

Olivier Miossec

 [ISO-8859-1] Erlend_Gar?sen ?crit:

> Hi,
>
> The IT division at my university supports FileMaker, Oracle, and
> PostgreSQL. Maybe they will support MySQL next year. We have a few MySQL
> tables on our Lasso 7 server. If we upgrade to Lasso 8, we will have to
> install our own MySQL version (we don't want to do that). Most of our
> databases will be converted to FileMaker 7 if we upgrade.
>
> But we actually have one, big application running on Lasso. I don't
> think it is advisable to use FileMaker, so can anyone using PostgreSQL
> with Lasso tell me about their experiences? I have tested Lasso with our
> Oracle server, and so far, this is not something I will recommend. I
> have noticed that some of you have had problems with PostgreSQL and Lasso 8.
>
> The reason that we don't want to install MySQL is because we are working
> with web applications, not databases, so we think that the database
> group within the IT division should deal with such things. Maybe we will
> have to convert the Lasso application to a Java Servlet, which is our
> primary web application tool (but it would take unnecessary development
> time to do this).
>
> Erlend

You can access to PostgreSQL with JDBC It work except that you may not list
table and field.

Here an article on JDBC PostgreSQL
http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/2;D4C6AE74055f52856BqJw3CFC4D1;1.lasso

For PostgreSQL 7.1.x, 7.2, or 7.3

For PostgreSQL 8 I will send an article on it

---
Olivier Miossec
AIM/ichat omiossec
--