Passing variables question

kimonostereo
Hi all,
I've been reading and searching the list all day but haven't quite
figured out how to solve this problem. I'll bet its a simple one for
all of you to solve too...

I'm working with a database of alumni for a school. They want to be
able to search the database for different classes / people and view
stats on each. That part I got working! The second thing they'd like
to do is to be able to send email to that person in the database if
they have an email address listed BUT they don't want to show that
email address. Instead, the user could click "email this person" and
be taken to a form which would allow them to email the person but not
see the address.

So in other words:
User comes to the site, searches for a classmate, finds classmate
that has an email address, clicks on email address which brings them
to a form to send them an email.

My question is how do I pass the email variable to the next page
without it being seen by the user? I thought of putting the variable
in the URL to pass it but then it would show the email address in the
URL.

Coming from Tango there was a way to do this with parameters but I
can't seem to figure out how to make this work with lasso. Looking
forward to any help I can get!

thanks!
\\scott\\

------------
KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
http://nemu-nemu.com /

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Passing variables question

Bil Corry
Session variable is the easiest way.  Otherwise, if you really want to pass it, you can use these to pack/unpack the value using encryption:

        http://tagswap.net/lp_var_pack
        http://tagswap.net/lp_var_unpack

- Bil

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Passing variables question

JP-14
you could "blowfish" it to encrypt it and then deencrypt it at the
email form but make sure it's in lasso code that they don't see.

jp

On Aug 17, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Scott Yoshinaga wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been reading and searching the list all day but haven't quite
> figured out how to solve this problem. I'll bet its a simple one
> for all of you to solve too...
>
> I'm working with a database of alumni for a school. They want to be
> able to search the database for different classes / people and view
> stats on each. That part I got working! The second thing they'd
> like to do is to be able to send email to that person in the
> database if they have an email address listed BUT they don't want
> to show that email address. Instead, the user could click "email
> this person" and be taken to a form which would allow them to email
> the person but not see the address.
>
> So in other words:
> User comes to the site, searches for a classmate, finds classmate
> that has an email address, clicks on email address which brings
> them to a form to send them an email.
>
> My question is how do I pass the email variable to the next page
> without it being seen by the user? I thought of putting the
> variable in the URL to pass it but then it would show the email
> address in the URL.
>
> Coming from Tango there was a way to do this with parameters but I
> can't seem to figure out how to make this work with lasso. Looking
> forward to any help I can get!
>
> thanks!
> \\scott\\
>
> ------------
> KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
> Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
> http://nemu-nemu.com /
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Passing variables question

kimonostereo
Okay I know how to do the blowfish encrypt but I'm not sure how to
pass the variable to the next page.

How would I do that? Please explain :-)

thanks
\\scott\\

------------

On Aug 17, 2006, at 2:27 PM, JP wrote:

> you could "blowfish" it to encrypt it and then deencrypt it at the
> email form but make sure it's in lasso code that they don't see.
>
> jp
>

> On Aug 17, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Scott Yoshinaga wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I've been reading and searching the list all day but haven't quite
>> figured out how to solve this problem. I'll bet its a simple one
>> for all of you to solve too...
>>
>> I'm working with a database of alumni for a school. They want to
>> be able to search the database for different classes / people and
>> view stats on each. That part I got working! The second thing
>> they'd like to do is to be able to send email to that person in
>> the database if they have an email address listed BUT they don't
>> want to show that email address. Instead, the user could click
>> "email this person" and be taken to a form which would allow them
>> to email the person but not see the address.
>>
>> So in other words:
>> User comes to the site, searches for a classmate, finds classmate
>> that has an email address, clicks on email address which brings
>> them to a form to send them an email.
>>
>> My question is how do I pass the email variable to the next page
>> without it being seen by the user? I thought of putting the
>> variable in the URL to pass it but then it would show the email
>> address in the URL.
>>
>> Coming from Tango there was a way to do this with parameters but I
>> can't seem to figure out how to make this work with lasso. Looking
>> forward to any help I can get!
>>
>> thanks!
>> \\scott\\
>>
>> ------------
>> KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
>> Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
>> http://nemu-nemu.com /
>>

>> ------------------------------
>> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
>> data on the web.
>> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>
> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Passing variables question

JP-14
pass it just like a variable on the url ....but don't make the
variable name too obvious like   emailpage.lasso?
emailadd=blowfished_string

Do something like

emailpage.lasso?ee=encrpted_string_blowfished

(ee would be _e_ncrypted _e_mail address and only you would know
that...not the hackers)

HOWEVER, another guy posted and said session variables are the way to
go ...that's actually the better and more secure way to hide stuff..

to make that work ..

in the page where you pull the email address from the database,

start a session
add the email var as a session var

then call the next page with something like this

emailpage.lasso?-session=(id_goes here)

in the emailpage.lasso, grab the email address out of the session (or
use the session var just like another variable)

I think there has been several posts and possibly an Tip of the Week
from OP  posted on this list.

Miles had some LTfN (Lasso Tips for Newbies) on session vars  (if I
remmy right)

jp

JP wrote:
> Do something like
>
> emailpage.lasso?ee=encrpted_string_blowfished

Blowfish returns binary data, which you can't pass in an URL.  You can encode_stricturl the binary data, but I'm uncertain how reliable the client browser will pass it back if the charsets get mixed up.  I'd recommend encode_base64, then encode_stricturl.

I still suggest these tags if you're going the route of passing it via the URL or as a hidden form param:

    http://tagswap.net/lp_var_pack
    http://tagswap.net/lp_var_unpack

Here's a simple example consisting of two files:

  [ // email1.lasso
  var:'email' = '[hidden email]';
  var:'email_forURL' = encode_stricturl: (lp_var_pack: $email);
  ]

-----------------

  [ // email2.lasso
  var:'email' = lp_var_unpack: (action_param:'ee');
  ]
  [if: $email == null]
  Back off crackerboy!
  [else]
  The email passed was [$email]
  [/if]

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Passing variables question

N Lamb
Scott,

Another option is to pass a unique id for that record to the email
form. (something unrelated to the persons info, like a unique number
that is meaningless)  The end user then completes the email form and
clicks a send form button.  You then pass all the email form
information along with that unique value to the last page that actually
does the email_send function and at the top of that page perform a
lasso search based on that unique value.  This will give you your email
address and never expose it to the end users at all (it also gives you
the option of incrementing a field to keep track of how many emails
were sent to each users email address, and also grab other data from
the record like first and last name etc...).  This is how I do all my
email send forms...

HTH,

Nathan Lamb

On Aug 17, 2006, at 8:13 PM, Scott Yoshinaga wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been reading and searching the list all day but haven't quite
> figured out how to solve this problem. I'll bet its a simple one for
> all of you to solve too...
>
> I'm working with a database of alumni for a school. They want to be
> able to search the database for different classes / people and view
> stats on each. That part I got working! The second thing they'd like
> to do is to be able to send email to that person in the database if
> they have an email address listed BUT they don't want to show that
> email address. Instead, the user could click "email this person" and
> be taken to a form which would allow them to email the person but not
> see the address.
>
> So in other words:
> User comes to the site, searches for a classmate, finds classmate that
> has an email address, clicks on email address which brings them to a
> form to send them an email.
>
> My question is how do I pass the email variable to the next page
> without it being seen by the user? I thought of putting the variable
> in the URL to pass it but then it would show the email address in the
> URL.
>
> Coming from Tango there was a way to do this with parameters but I
> can't seem to figure out how to make this work with lasso. Looking
> forward to any help I can get!
>
> thanks!
> \\scott\\
>
> ------------
> KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
> Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
> http://nemu-nemu.com /
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data
> on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Passing variables question

Greg Hemphill
I do this sort of thing a lot, works quite well.  Plus makes it easy
to look any piece of information you may need (person's name or
etc.), not that a client would ever change their mind on what info
they want in an email :P

Greg

On Aug 18, 2006, at 8:50 AM, N Lamb wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> ------------
>> KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
>> Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
>> http://nemu-nemu.com /
>>

>> ------------------------------
>> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
>> data on the web.
>> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.

Thanks all for your help on passing variables for my email project. I
got it to work thanks to everyone here!

I have yet another newbie question which I searched for the answer
but couldn't find it.

I created a page in that had "[ ]" in it but it wasn't attached to a
lasso tag. Is there a way to escape this so that Lasso can function
without trying to read it as a lasso tag? In the meantime I just
removed the "[ ]" from my page and the page works but I'm thinking
theres got to be a way to do this.

thanks again!
\\scott\\
------------
KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
http://nemu-nemu.com /

Re: Passing variables question

stevepiercy
['['] and [']'] will display in the page as [ and ] respectively.

--steve

On Monday, August 21, 2006, [hidden email] (Scott Yoshinaga) pronounced:

>Thanks all for your help on passing variables for my email project. I
>got it to work thanks to everyone here!
>
>I have yet another newbie question which I searched for the answer
>but couldn't find it.
>
>I created a page in that had "[ ]" in it but it wasn't attached to a
>lasso tag. Is there a way to escape this so that Lasso can function
>without trying to read it as a lasso tag? In the meantime I just
>removed the "[ ]" from my page and the page works but I'm thinking
>theres got to be a way to do this.
>
>thanks again!
>\\scott\\
>------------
>KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
>Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
>http://nemu-nemu.com /

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: Passing variables question

Paul Melia

On Aug 21, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Scott Yoshinaga wrote:

> I created a page in that had "[ ]" in it but it wasn't attached to
> a lasso tag. Is there a way to escape this so that Lasso can
> function without trying to read it as a lasso tag? In the meantime
> I just removed the "[ ]" from my page and the page works but I'm
> thinking theres got to be a way to do this.

Scott,

You can wrap the text with the [NoProcess] tag...

[NoProcess]

        Text with [ ] in it

[/NoProcess]

Note that any Lasso code inside those tags will not be processed.

HTH,
Paul

Re: Passing variables question

Geoffrey C Kinnel
Scott Yoshinaga wrote:

> Thanks all for your help on passing variables for my email project. I
> got it to work thanks to everyone here!
>
> I have yet another newbie question which I searched for the answer
> but couldn't find it.
>
> I created a page in that had "[ ]" in it but it wasn't attached to a
> lasso tag. Is there a way to escape this so that Lasso can function
> without trying to read it as a lasso tag? In the meantime I just
> removed the "[ ]" from my page and the page works but I'm thinking
> theres got to be a way to do this.

As an alternative to ['['] or [No Process] which were suggested by
others, you can also use HTML entities: &#091; and &#093;. &lsqb; and
&rsqb; *might* also work, though I don't think they are standard.

Geoff

Re: Passing variables question

Greg Hemphill
Also note there are No Process tags you can put all kinds of text
Lasso would normally get confused by... like so:

[NoProcess] Any text you want here [/NoProcess]

You could, for example, actually put lasso code between those that
you want to display on a webpage... so people can read a code sniplet
without the code actually exicuting.

For some uses I have lasso create text files on my server... if I
want these text files to be web pages that will be served on the
website and I want some lasso code in the pages that executes when
lasso call that web page I wrap these tags around that code.

Good Luck!

Greg Hemphill

On Aug 21, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> ['['] and [']'] will display in the page as [ and ] respectively.
>
> --steve
>

> On Monday, August 21, 2006, [hidden email] (Scott Yoshinaga)
> pronounced:
>
>> Thanks all for your help on passing variables for my email project. I
>> got it to work thanks to everyone here!
>>
>> I have yet another newbie question which I searched for the answer
>> but couldn't find it.
>>
>> I created a page in that had "[ ]" in it but it wasn't attached to a
>> lasso tag. Is there a way to escape this so that Lasso can function
>> without trying to read it as a lasso tag? In the meantime I just
>> removed the "[ ]" from my page and the page works but I'm thinking
>> theres got to be a way to do this.
>>
>> thanks again!
>> \\scott\\
>> ------------
>> KimonoKitsy Studios LLC
>> Read our webcomic ~ nemu*nemu at:
>> http://nemu-nemu.com /

> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: Passing variables question

kimonostereo
Thanks to everyone that helped out in this question!
I really appreciate it!

aloha!
\\scott\\