PHP: a fractal of bad design

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

Jonathan Guthrie-3
On 2013-04-18, at 8:42 PM, Brad Lindsay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of course the t-shirt's version, though, is a play off the famous "Friend's don't let friends drive drunk" commercial, so semantics might matter in this case.

Mine was based on the "friends don't let friends do drugs" version :)
All interpretations of the parallels are entirely intended.

Jono

#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

Brad Lindsay
On 4/18/13 8:48 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
> On 2013-04-18, at 8:42 PM, Brad Lindsay<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Of course the t-shirt's version, though, is a play off the famous "Friend's don't let friends drive drunk" commercial, so semantics might matter in this case.
>
> Mine was based on the "friends don't let friends do drugs" version :)
> All interpretations of the parallels are entirely intended.

Oops, I messed up, it actually ends "drink and drive", not "drive drunk".

Hadn't seen / heard the "do drugs" variant. Was this a NZ or CA campaign?


Brad

#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

Jonathan Guthrie-3
On 2013-04-18, at 8:51 PM, Brad Lindsay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/18/13 8:48 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>> On 2013-04-18, at 8:42 PM, Brad Lindsay<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Of course the t-shirt's version, though, is a play off the famous "Friend's don't let friends drive drunk" commercial, so semantics might matter in this case.
>>
>> Mine was based on the "friends don't let friends do drugs" version :)
>> All interpretations of the parallels are entirely intended.
>
> Oops, I messed up, it actually ends "drink and drive", not "drive drunk".
>
> Hadn't seen / heard the "do drugs" variant. Was this a NZ or CA campaign?

Certainly was a NZ / Australian campaign, not sure about elsewhere.

Jono

----------------------------
Jonathan Guthrie
[hidden email]
@iamjono
LassoSoft Inc.
AIM Chatroom: lassochat
IRC/freenode #lasso


#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

Pier Kuipers
In reply to this post by Jonathan Guthrie-3
On Friday, April 19, 2013, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> Actually my t-shirt says "friends don't let friends do php"

Ah, yes, I knew it was something like that — but iChat doesn't save
people's status message along with the chat transcript, or I would have
found it :-)

Cheers,

Pier


>
>
> Jono
>
> ----------------------------
> Jonathan Guthrie
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> @iamjono
> LassoSoft Inc.
> AIM Chatroom: lassochat
> IRC/freenode #lasso
>
>
> #############################################################
>
> Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
> Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
> http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013
>
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>   the mailing list Lasso
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]<javascript:;>
> >
> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]<javascript:;>
> >
>


--
Pier Kuipers
Mobile: +353 87 294 3063
Blog: http://www.pierkuipers.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pier.kuipers
Twitter: @pkvisualid
AIM: pkvisualid

#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

Ke Carlton-3
In reply to this post by Jolle Carlestam-3
"If you choose XXX for the only reason that everybody else does then I
suggest you go eat shit. After all, 400 billion flies and maggots do. It
must be good."

Please never apologise for such brilliance — this has made my generic
insult list (and morning).

Ke

#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

decorior
In reply to this post by Randy Phillips-2
People mostly chose PHP initially because it is free.

It is amazing how many people are amazed we PAY for lasso.  But then I point out that quality costs money, and I always have a very warm fuzzy feeling using lasso.

We are not big fans either of open source for big applications. Case in point is Scala. A friend of mine  has started using is, and it fraught with problems with version changes.

Deco
On Apr 18, 2013, at 7:18 AM, Randy Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But you can't just ignore WP to skew the numbers towards other platforms.
> The fact is blogs are in widespread use today and PHP captured that CMS
> niche. No other platform did. It begs the question, if PHP is so broken and
> poorly designed why do very smart people keep building sophisticated stuff with
> it year over year?
>
>
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>
>> On 2013-04-17, at 6:21 PM, Randy Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You just know it's going to be an object review when it starts out by
>>> making the claim that "Virtually every feature in PHP is broken somehow."
>>> Lol. Ok.
>>
>> It was an interesting dissection though, regardless of prejudice :)
>>
>>> Meanwhile:
>> http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language/all
>>
>> A very transparent point, and yes undoubtably popular. But I also saw an
>> interesting stat recently about actual meaningful usage that showed that if
>> you subtract WP sites and "contact us" scripts, the picture is very
>> different.
>>
>> MacDonalds is "everywhere" but how many choose to eat there (let alone
>> will admit to eating MacD's)
>>
>>
>> Jono
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> Jonathan Guthrie
>> [hidden email]
>> @iamjono
>> LassoSoft Inc.
>> AIM Chatroom: lassochat
>> IRC/freenode #lasso
>>
>>
>> #############################################################
>>
>> Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
>> Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
>> http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013
>>
>> #############################################################
>> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>>  the mailing list Lasso
>> [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
>>
>
> #############################################################
>
> Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
> Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
> http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013
>
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>  the mailing list Lasso
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>


#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

Steffan A. Cline
In reply to this post by Ke Carlton-3
LMMFAO!!

Way to go Ke and Jolle!




On 4/19/13 1:54 AM, "Ke Carlton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>"If you choose XXX for the only reason that everybody else does then I
>suggest you go eat shit. After all, 400 billion flies and maggots do. It
>must be good."
>
>Please never apologise for such brilliance ‹ this has made my generic
>insult list (and morning).
>
>Ke
>
>#############################################################
>
>Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
>Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
>http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013
>
>#############################################################
>This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>  the mailing list Lasso
>[hidden email]
>To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
>



#############################################################

Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2013!
Sept 12-14, 2013 in Niagara Falls, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-niagara-falls-2013

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
12