Out of memory Error Code: 7

maxwellk2
Lasso 8.5.6
Max OS X Server 10.5.8

Hi All,

Has anyone seen this error when accessing a Lasso web page:

        Error Message:  out of memory Error Code:  7

It happens about once a month, only certain pages are affected, the rest of the site works fine, and a site restart fixes the problem. Nabble and Google aren't offering any matches, I'm going to start digging and see what's going on in the specific pages, but was hoping for a head-start.

Lasso doesn't have an error code 7, Lasso MySQL does and it's 'Argument list too long' which might be related. The backend of the site is FileMaker, but it doesn't have a 7 error code. The best clue I've found is this in the Console log:

        3/3/10 10:19:58 AM Lasso8Service[72504] Lasso8Service(72504,0xb0081000) malloc: *** mmap(size=57688064) failed (error code=12)
        *** error: can't allocate region

I'm not sure if it's related, but Lasso's MySQL error code '12' is 'Cannot allocate memory', so could it be a problem with Lasso's internal MySQL tables? Maybe the sessions tables?

Thanks,
Max

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

Trevor Borgmeier
Lasso doesn't use MySQL internally. It uses SQLite, but I don't think
that is what the problem is.

Is there anything particular about the pages that are producing this
error?  Are you using caching?  Are all lasso pages effected -- you said
not all pages on the site are effected, but I'm not sure ow your site is
built....

-Trevor

on 3/3/10 2:22 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:

> Lasso 8.5.6
> Max OS X Server 10.5.8
>
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone seen this error when accessing a Lasso web page:
>
> Error Message:  out of memory Error Code:  7
>
> It happens about once a month, only certain pages are affected, the rest of the site works fine, and a site restart fixes the problem. Nabble and Google aren't offering any matches, I'm going to start digging and see what's going on in the specific pages, but was hoping for a head-start.
>
> Lasso doesn't have an error code 7, Lasso MySQL does and it's 'Argument list too long' which might be related. The backend of the site is FileMaker, but it doesn't have a 7 error code. The best clue I've found is this in the Console log:
>
> 3/3/10 10:19:58 AM Lasso8Service[72504] Lasso8Service(72504,0xb0081000) malloc: *** mmap(size=57688064) failed (error code=12)
> *** error: can't allocate region
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>
> I'm not sure if it's related, but Lasso's MySQL error code '12' is 'Cannot allocate memory', so could it be a problem with Lasso's internal MySQL tables? Maybe the sessions tables?
>
> Thanks,
> Max

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

maxwellk2
Hi Trevor,

The pages affected are pretty involved but nothing out of the ordinary. It's mainly a login page that grant access to the meat of the site, starts up a user session and loads up about 60 session variables. That's where I'm focusing my efforts at the moment.

The rest of the public, and non-sessioned, areas of the site have plenty of Lasso code spread around, but continue to function just fine; database calls to FileMaker, secure signup pages, automated email scripts, etc.

What I'm most confused about is who's giving this error code 7, and since this only happens every month it's hard to replicate. I'm loath to simply start rebooting the site every night, but that might be the answer until it can be moved to L9.

Thanks,
Max

On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> Lasso doesn't use MySQL internally. It uses SQLite, but I don't think that is what the problem is.
>
> Is there anything particular about the pages that are producing this error?  Are you using caching?  Are all lasso pages effected -- you said not all pages on the site are effected, but I'm not sure ow your site is built....
>
> -Trevor
>

> on 3/3/10 2:22 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>> Lasso 8.5.6
>> Max OS X Server 10.5.8
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone seen this error when accessing a Lasso web page:
>>
>> Error Message:  out of memory Error Code:  7
>>
>> It happens about once a month, only certain pages are affected, the rest of the site works fine, and a site restart fixes the problem. Nabble and Google aren't offering any matches, I'm going to start digging and see what's going on in the specific pages, but was hoping for a head-start.
>>
>> Lasso doesn't have an error code 7, Lasso MySQL does and it's 'Argument list too long' which might be related. The backend of the site is FileMaker, but it doesn't have a 7 error code. The best clue I've found is this in the Console log:
>>
>> 3/3/10 10:19:58 AM Lasso8Service[72504] Lasso8Service(72504,0xb0081000) malloc: *** mmap(size=57688064) failed (error code=12)
>> *** error: can't allocate region
>> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>> I'm not sure if it's related, but Lasso's MySQL error code '12' is 'Cannot allocate memory', so could it be a problem with Lasso's internal MySQL tables? Maybe the sessions tables?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Max

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

maxwellk2
Ah, SQLite has an error code of 7, 'A malloc() failed', which is what I'm seeing in the Console log. Thanks for reminding me Trevor that SQLite is also in the mix.

On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> Lasso doesn't use MySQL internally. It uses SQLite, but I don't think that is what the problem is.
>
> Is there anything particular about the pages that are producing this error?  Are you using caching?  Are all lasso pages effected -- you said not all pages on the site are effected, but I'm not sure ow your site is built....
>
> -Trevor
>

> on 3/3/10 2:22 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>> Lasso 8.5.6
>> Max OS X Server 10.5.8
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone seen this error when accessing a Lasso web page:
>>
>> Error Message:  out of memory Error Code:  7
>>
>> It happens about once a month, only certain pages are affected, the rest of the site works fine, and a site restart fixes the problem. Nabble and Google aren't offering any matches, I'm going to start digging and see what's going on in the specific pages, but was hoping for a head-start.
>>
>> Lasso doesn't have an error code 7, Lasso MySQL does and it's 'Argument list too long' which might be related. The backend of the site is FileMaker, but it doesn't have a 7 error code. The best clue I've found is this in the Console log:
>>
>> 3/3/10 10:19:58 AM Lasso8Service[72504] Lasso8Service(72504,0xb0081000) malloc: *** mmap(size=57688064) failed (error code=12)
>> *** error: can't allocate region
>> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>> I'm not sure if it's related, but Lasso's MySQL error code '12' is 'Cannot allocate memory', so could it be a problem with Lasso's internal MySQL tables? Maybe the sessions tables?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Max

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

Trevor Borgmeier
Is the issue specific to pages requiring the session?  I wonder if
you're getting corrupted session tables that get repaired upon
restarting lasso?  how long are you storing sessions for?

-Trevor

on 3/3/10 3:04 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> The pages affected are pretty involved but nothing out of the ordinary. It's mainly a login page that grant access to the meat of the site, starts up a user session and loads up about 60 session variables. That's where I'm focusing my efforts at the moment.
>
> The rest of the public, and non-sessioned, areas of the site have plenty of Lasso code spread around, but continue to function just fine; database calls to FileMaker, secure signup pages, automated email scripts, etc.
>
> What I'm most confused about is who's giving this error code 7, and since this only happens every month it's hard to replicate. I'm loath to simply start rebooting the site every night, but that might be the answer until it can be moved to L9.
>
> Thanks,
> Max
>

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:
>

>> Lasso doesn't use MySQL internally. It uses SQLite, but I don't think that is what the problem is.
>>
>> Is there anything particular about the pages that are producing this error?  Are you using caching?  Are all lasso pages effected -- you said not all pages on the site are effected, but I'm not sure ow your site is built....
>>
>> -Trevor
>>

>> on 3/3/10 2:22 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Lasso 8.5.6
>>> Max OS X Server 10.5.8
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen this error when accessing a Lasso web page:
>>>
>>> Error Message:  out of memory Error Code:  7
>>>
>>> It happens about once a month, only certain pages are affected, the rest of the site works fine, and a site restart fixes the problem. Nabble and Google aren't offering any matches, I'm going to start digging and see what's going on in the specific pages, but was hoping for a head-start.
>>>
>>> Lasso doesn't have an error code 7, Lasso MySQL does and it's 'Argument list too long' which might be related. The backend of the site is FileMaker, but it doesn't have a 7 error code. The best clue I've found is this in the Console log:
>>>
>>> 3/3/10 10:19:58 AM Lasso8Service[72504] Lasso8Service(72504,0xb0081000) malloc: *** mmap(size=57688064) failed (error code=12)
>>> *** error: can't allocate region
>>> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>>> I'm not sure if it's related, but Lasso's MySQL error code '12' is 'Cannot allocate memory', so could it be a problem with Lasso's internal MySQL tables? Maybe the sessions tables?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Max
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

maxwellk2
I do think the problem is limited to this specific page, there's only one other login/session creation page. Sessions are limited to 90 minutes, I'm just now reviewing the Session configuration. Have changed the Compatibility to 'Lasso 8.1/8.5 (Faster)', odd that I previously left it at 'Lasso 7/8 (Default)', probably because the site was imported from a Lasso 8 server.

Any recommendation on switching 'Serve Session' from 'Local Default' (SQLite I assume) to 'Memory'? The server has about 12 other sites running, but about 3 GB of free memory available. I'm sure there's a thread covering the pros and cons I'll need to track down.

On closer inspection it looks like the site crashes and restarts a couple times a day at least a few times a week for the past 3 months. Another issue to resolve, but possibly related. I'll have to track down what I changed since then.

Thanks,
Max

On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> Is the issue specific to pages requiring the session?  I wonder if you're getting corrupted session tables that get repaired upon restarting lasso?  how long are you storing sessions for?
>
> -Trevor
>

> on 3/3/10 3:04 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>> Hi Trevor,
>>
>> The pages affected are pretty involved but nothing out of the ordinary. It's mainly a login page that grant access to the meat of the site, starts up a user session and loads up about 60 session variables. That's where I'm focusing my efforts at the moment.
>>
>> The rest of the public, and non-sessioned, areas of the site have plenty of Lasso code spread around, but continue to function just fine; database calls to FileMaker, secure signup pages, automated email scripts, etc.
>>
>> What I'm most confused about is who's giving this error code 7, and since this only happens every month it's hard to replicate. I'm loath to simply start rebooting the site every night, but that might be the answer until it can be moved to L9.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Max
>>

>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:
>>

>>> Lasso doesn't use MySQL internally. It uses SQLite, but I don't think that is what the problem is.
>>>
>>> Is there anything particular about the pages that are producing this error?  Are you using caching?  Are all lasso pages effected -- you said not all pages on the site are effected, but I'm not sure ow your site is built....
>>>
>>> -Trevor

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

Trevor Borgmeier
I've only really played with the internal SQLite sessions table and
external MySQL database for sessions.  I prefer an external MySQL
database for session management.  My guess is that your SQLite sessions
table gets wonky and adding new records (starting new sessions)
fails...  I'm not familiar enough with SQLite to tell you how to best
troubleshoot that...

If you use memory to manage sessions I think you'll lose all session
data if lasso is ever stopped/restarted where a db wouldn't... (unless
the session actually expired in the meantime)  You'll want to make sure
you have enough memory to handle your session needs without effecting
other resources if you go memory based.  I've never played with in
memory sessions.

-Trevor

on 3/3/10 3:35 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:

> I do think the problem is limited to this specific page, there's only one other login/session creation page. Sessions are limited to 90 minutes, I'm just now reviewing the Session configuration. Have changed the Compatibility to 'Lasso 8.1/8.5 (Faster)', odd that I previously left it at 'Lasso 7/8 (Default)', probably because the site was imported from a Lasso 8 server.
>
> Any recommendation on switching 'Serve Session' from 'Local Default' (SQLite I assume) to 'Memory'? The server has about 12 other sites running, but about 3 GB of free memory available. I'm sure there's a thread covering the pros and cons I'll need to track down.
>
> On closer inspection it looks like the site crashes and restarts a couple times a day at least a few times a week for the past 3 months. Another issue to resolve, but possibly related. I'll have to track down what I changed since then.
>
> Thanks,
> Max
>

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:
>

>> Is the issue specific to pages requiring the session?  I wonder if you're getting corrupted session tables that get repaired upon restarting lasso?  how long are you storing sessions for?
>>
>> -Trevor
>>

>> on 3/3/10 3:04 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Trevor,
>>>
>>> The pages affected are pretty involved but nothing out of the ordinary. It's mainly a login page that grant access to the meat of the site, starts up a user session and loads up about 60 session variables. That's where I'm focusing my efforts at the moment.
>>>
>>> The rest of the public, and non-sessioned, areas of the site have plenty of Lasso code spread around, but continue to function just fine; database calls to FileMaker, secure signup pages, automated email scripts, etc.
>>>
>>> What I'm most confused about is who's giving this error code 7, and since this only happens every month it's hard to replicate. I'm loath to simply start rebooting the site every night, but that might be the answer until it can be moved to L9.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Max

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7

maxwellk2
Thanks for the help Tevor. This issue has been elusive for some time now, but finally catching the clue that it's Lasso's internal SQLite that generating the error is a big help. We'll see what switching to Lasso 8.1/8.5 compatibility and serving sessions form Memory will do - I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Max

On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> I've only really played with the internal SQLite sessions table and external MySQL database for sessions.  I prefer an external MySQL database for session management.  My guess is that your SQLite sessions table gets wonky and adding new records (starting new sessions) fails...  I'm not familiar enough with SQLite to tell you how to best troubleshoot that...
>
> If you use memory to manage sessions I think you'll lose all session data if lasso is ever stopped/restarted where a db wouldn't... (unless the session actually expired in the meantime)  You'll want to make sure you have enough memory to handle your session needs without effecting other resources if you go memory based.  I've never played with in memory sessions.
>
> -Trevor
>

> on 3/3/10 3:35 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>> I do think the problem is limited to this specific page, there's only one other login/session creation page. Sessions are limited to 90 minutes, I'm just now reviewing the Session configuration. Have changed the Compatibility to 'Lasso 8.1/8.5 (Faster)', odd that I previously left it at 'Lasso 7/8 (Default)', probably because the site was imported from a Lasso 8 server.
>>
>> Any recommendation on switching 'Serve Session' from 'Local Default' (SQLite I assume) to 'Memory'? The server has about 12 other sites running, but about 3 GB of free memory available. I'm sure there's a thread covering the pros and cons I'll need to track down.
>>
>> On closer inspection it looks like the site crashes and restarts a couple times a day at least a few times a week for the past 3 months. Another issue to resolve, but possibly related. I'll have to track down what I changed since then.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Max
>>

>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:
>>

>>> Is the issue specific to pages requiring the session?  I wonder if you're getting corrupted session tables that get repaired upon restarting lasso?  how long are you storing sessions for?
>>>
>>> -Trevor

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7 [SOLVED]

maxwellk2
For now my memory issue seems to be solved and wanted to share the fix, though I don't fully understand how all the pieces fit together. Long story short, it was FileMaker Server's WPE logs growing to 300+ MB, specifically these files:

        /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/wpc_access_log.txt
        /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/web_server_module_log.txt

Annoying it doesn't roll these of own accord. Manually rolling these logs solved a CPU/memory overload problem with fmserver's java process, which in turn solved the specific Lasso8Service process that was having memory problems.

Also turns out the Lasso site had actually be crashing and quietly recovering itself automatically over the past few months, which had been further masking the problem, still - bad Admin, no doughnut!

Thanks,
Max

On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> Thanks for the help Tevor. This issue has been elusive for some time now, but finally catching the clue that it's Lasso's internal SQLite that generating the error is a big help. We'll see what switching to Lasso 8.1/8.5 compatibility and serving sessions form Memory will do - I'll let you know.
>
> Thanks,
> Max
>

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:
>
>> I've only really played with the internal SQLite sessions table and external MySQL database for sessions.  I prefer an external MySQL database for session management.  My guess is that your SQLite sessions table gets wonky and adding new records (starting new sessions) fails...  I'm not familiar enough with SQLite to tell you how to best troubleshoot that...
>>
>> If you use memory to manage sessions I think you'll lose all session data if lasso is ever stopped/restarted where a db wouldn't... (unless the session actually expired in the meantime)  You'll want to make sure you have enough memory to handle your session needs without effecting other resources if you go memory based.  I've never played with in memory sessions.
>>
>> -Trevor
>>

>> on 3/3/10 3:35 PM Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>> I do think the problem is limited to this specific page, there's only one other login/session creation page. Sessions are limited to 90 minutes, I'm just now reviewing the Session configuration. Have changed the Compatibility to 'Lasso 8.1/8.5 (Faster)', odd that I previously left it at 'Lasso 7/8 (Default)', probably because the site was imported from a Lasso 8 server.
>>>
>>> Any recommendation on switching 'Serve Session' from 'Local Default' (SQLite I assume) to 'Memory'? The server has about 12 other sites running, but about 3 GB of free memory available. I'm sure there's a thread covering the pros and cons I'll need to track down.
>>>
>>> On closer inspection it looks like the site crashes and restarts a couple times a day at least a few times a week for the past 3 months. Another issue to resolve, but possibly related. I'll have to track down what I changed since then.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Max

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7 [SOLVED]

Wade Maxfield
On 29/03/10 9:15 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> For now my memory issue seems to be solved and wanted to share the fix, though I don't fully understand how all the pieces fit together. Long story short, it was FileMaker Server's WPE logs growing to 300+ MB, specifically these files:
>
> /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/wpc_access_log.txt
> /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/web_server_module_log.txt
>
> Annoying it doesn't roll these of own accord. Manually rolling these logs solved a CPU/memory overload problem with fmserver's java process, which in turn solved the specific Lasso8Service process that was having memory problems.
>
> Also turns out the Lasso site had actually be crashing and quietly recovering itself automatically over the past few months, which had been further masking the problem, still - bad Admin, no doughnut!
>
> Thanks,
> Max

You'll also want to do something like that with the Apache error log.
Rolling that more frequently made a huge difference to the amount of
free RAM on my machines. I ended up using Monit to watch these log files
and run a script to roll them when they reached a particular size (and
then restart apache to start the new log - FileMaker probably needs
something similar).

  - Wade

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7 [SOLVED]

maxwellk2
Hi Wade, yes, was thinking I should install Monit as I started to see bad things happening in the Activity Monitor. Thanks for the reminder and LassoTech post.

Max

On Mar 28, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Wade Maxfield wrote:

> On 29/03/10 9:15 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>> For now my memory issue seems to be solved and wanted to share the fix, though I don't fully understand how all the pieces fit together. Long story short, it was FileMaker Server's WPE logs growing to 300+ MB, specifically these files:
>>
>> /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/wpc_access_log.txt
>> /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/web_server_module_log.txt
>>
>> Annoying it doesn't roll these of own accord. Manually rolling these logs solved a CPU/memory overload problem with fmserver's java process, which in turn solved the specific Lasso8Service process that was having memory problems.
>>
>> Also turns out the Lasso site had actually be crashing and quietly recovering itself automatically over the past few months, which had been further masking the problem, still - bad Admin, no doughnut!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Max
>>

> You'll also want to do something like that with the Apache error log. Rolling that more frequently made a huge difference to the amount of free RAM on my machines. I ended up using Monit to watch these log files and run a script to roll them when they reached a particular size (and then restart apache to start the new log - FileMaker probably needs something similar).
>
> - Wade

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7 [SOLVED]

Johan Solve
Another option is to use
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/rotatelogs.html

No apache restarts needed thanks to piped logging.

Wonder if FIleMaker Server supports piped log.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Maxwell Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Wade, yes, was thinking I should install Monit as I started to see bad things happening in the Activity Monitor. Thanks for the reminder and LassoTech post.
>
> Max
>

> On Mar 28, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/10 9:15 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>> For now my memory issue seems to be solved and wanted to share the fix, though I don't fully understand how all the pieces fit together. Long story short, it was FileMaker Server's WPE logs growing to 300+ MB, specifically these files:
>>>
>>>      /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/wpc_access_log.txt
>>>      /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/web_server_module_log.txt
>>>
>>> Annoying it doesn't roll these of own accord. Manually rolling these logs solved a CPU/memory overload problem with fmserver's java process, which in turn solved the specific Lasso8Service process that was having memory problems.
>>>
>>> Also turns out the Lasso site had actually be crashing and quietly recovering itself automatically over the past few months, which had been further masking the problem, still - bad Admin, no doughnut!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Max
>>>

>> You'll also want to do something like that with the Apache error log. Rolling that more frequently made a huge difference to the amount of free RAM on my machines. I ended up using Monit to watch these log files and run a script to roll them when they reached a particular size (and then restart apache to start the new log - FileMaker probably needs something similar).
>>
>> - Wade

Mvh
Johan Sölve
____________________________________
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Re: Out of memory Error Code: 7 [SOLVED]

maxwellk2
I'm pretty sure my OS X Server 10.5 install is already doing this, there's a GUI to select the number of days with a default of 7 and all my virtual host log files do seem 7 days apart. A scan of the server doesn't show any log files larger than 50 MB, so I think I'm good for now.

It would be nice to have the FileMaker logs roll automatically, so I'll look into it when I can. For now I've simply stop FileMaker from logging WPE requests. In the past 6+ years since I've known about those log files I've only ever needed them for debugging and can easily turn them back on when needed. I'll poke FMI and let them know about this issue, like it'll do any good, but I gotta at least try.

Thanks,
Max