Our Increasingly Complex Apps Need Testing

Our Increasingly Complex Apps Need Testing

Justin Dennis-3
All -

We are approaching the edge of a cliff in productivity because our apps are
increasing in complexity and small feature tweaks require such a
disproportionately large amount of time to test that we... seem to be
testing in production because live failures are "cheaper" than the amount
of time it would take to thoroughly test.

I know this is appalling.

Does anyone have any recommendations for unit or integration testing with
Lasso? Based on my limited knowledge of the subject, our issues require
integration tests more than unit tests.

I would love to know that some quick, easily implemented new feature didn't
bust something somewhere else. I am not trying to accomplish some
ridiculous holy grail of test-driven-development. I'd just like to have a
suite of tests that cover the basics.

I am finding this to be less of an issue as we gradually transition to a
more ds / object-oriented / type approach, but it's still an issue.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

- Justin

Re: Our Increasingly Complex Apps Need Testing

Ke Carlton-3
I use a modified version of l-spec for integration testing. Fairly small
change — just allows it to run and output in a staging environment vs via
the CLI.

I think the syntax is spot on: https://github.com/bfad/lspec and believe it
has more value than just TDD.

Ke