-Op produces too many results from words

-Op produces too many results from words

Pat Gilmour
Hi,

I'm searching a text field FMPSA7 db

My search looks like this:

[Inline: -Search, -Database='Proatrix', -Table='DX_Proatrix', -
Operator='bw', 'Product Name'=$productSearchLetter]

Thing is, if the productSearchLetter variable is 'T' then it returns
everything that has 't' at the beginning of a word
so I don't just get "This Product" but also "Product This". Is there
a way of limiting this so it only searches on the very first letter
of the text field and not each word?

Thx.
Pat

Re: -Op produces too many results from words

Pierre Yelle

On 15-Sep-05, at 10:03 AM, Pat Gilmour wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm searching a text field FMPSA7 db
>
> My search looks like this:
>
> [Inline: -Search, -Database='Proatrix', -Table='DX_Proatrix',
> -Operator='bw', 'Product Name'=$productSearchLetter]
>
> Thing is, if the productSearchLetter variable is 'T' then it returns
> everything that has 't' at the beginning of a word
> so I don't just get "This Product" but also "Product This". Is there a
> way of limiting this so it only searches on the very first letter of
> the text field and not each word?

You could add a productSearchLetter calc field to your FM databse and
search on that.

Re: -Op produces too many results from words

Greg Willits-2
On Sep 15, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Pat Gilmour wrote:

> I'm searching a text field FMPSA7 db. My search looks like this:
>
> [Inline: -Search, -Database='Proatrix', -Table='DX_Proatrix', -
> Operator='bw', 'Product Name'=$productSearchLetter]
>
> Thing is, if the productSearchLetter variable is 'T' then it
> returns everything that has 't' at the beginning of a word so I
> don't just get "This Product" but also "Product This". Is there a
> way of limiting this so it only searches on the very first letter
> of the text field and not each word?

IIRC that is the very nature of FileMaker -- to test the beginning of
every word. I think there is a way to work around that, but I can't
remember what it is !? But maybe someone will see this and post...

-- greg willits

Re: -Op produces too many results from words

Wade Maxfield
>On Sep 15, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Pat Gilmour wrote:
>
>>I'm searching a text field FMPSA7 db. My search looks like this:
>>
>>[Inline: -Search, -Database='Proatrix', -Table='DX_Proatrix',
>>-Operator='bw', 'Product Name'=$productSearchLetter]
>>
>>Thing is, if the productSearchLetter variable is 'T' then it
>>returns everything that has 't' at the beginning of a word so I
>>don't just get "This Product" but also "Product This". Is there a
>>way of limiting this so it only searches on the very first letter
>>of the text field and not each word?
>

>IIRC that is the very nature of FileMaker -- to test the beginning
>of every word. I think there is a way to work around that, but I
>can't remember what it is !? But maybe someone will see this and
>post...
>
>-- greg willits
>
>--

I'm with Pierre.  The only way I know is a calc field in Filemaker.

searchLetter=Left(Product Name,1)

[Inline: -Search, -Database='Proatrix', -Table='DX_Proatrix',
-Operator='eq', 'searchLetter'=$productSearchLetter]

  - Wade

Re: -Op produces too many results from words

Douglas Burchard
On Sep 15, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

> IIRC that is the very nature of FileMaker -- to test the beginning
> of every word. I think there is a way to work around that, but I
> can't remember what it is !? But maybe someone will see this and
> post...

It use to be you could do something like:

     [Inline:
             -Search,
             -Database='Proatrix',
             -Table='DX_Proatrix',
             -Operator='eq',
             'Product Name'=('=' + $productSearchLetter + '*')]

That would be equivalent to placing ==t* into the search field in
FMP. But I haven't tried this with anything past FM6.

--
Douglas Burchard, President
DouglasBurchard.com, Web Applications

direct: (206) 227-8161