OneFile, error.lasso and page hits stats

OneFile, error.lasso and page hits stats

Anibal Escobar
Hello everyone, I'm using Lasso 8.1, Web* 5.4 on some sites that I
converted from 3.6.  The sites are built with a oneFile structure
using error.lasso as the one file.  I'd like to try to change my
oneFile structure to use another file, instead of error.lasso as the
one file, mainly to avoid getting into endless loops on error.lasso.
My problem is that when I direct all requests to oneFile.lasso, lets
say, that's the only page that gets logged, rendering page hits stats
useless.  Any suggestions on how to get around this issue?

TIA, Anibal Escobar

Re: OneFile, error.lasso and page hits stats

Doug Gentry
I've been working on variations of oneFile and Corral recently on a
couple of projects.

The endless loop thing has been a problem for me, too, but usually if I
can trap for various errors correctly, the error.lasso file can act as
both a traffic cop for good files and a way to display errors in other
situations.

For the site-logging, etc., I prefer linking to and displaying a
real-looking file name, e.g.   films/Coming_of_Age.html  instead of
something like onefile.lasso?page=1234. The file doesn't really exist,
but the Coming_of_Age name is searchable in a database.  Then my
error.lasso file rewrites headers to remove the 404 File Not Found and
replace them with 202 (if I recall correctly).  This approach then logs
the individual pages correctly.

....Doug Gentry

On Oct 5, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Anibal Escobar wrote:

> Hello everyone, I'm using Lasso 8.1, Web* 5.4 on some sites that I
> converted from 3.6.  The sites are built with a oneFile structure
> using error.lasso as the one file.  I'd like to try to change my
> oneFile structure to use another file, instead of error.lasso as the
> one file, mainly to avoid getting into endless loops on error.lasso.
> My problem is that when I direct all requests to oneFile.lasso, lets
> say, that's the only page that gets logged, rendering page hits stats
> useless.  Any suggestions on how to get around this issue?
>
> TIA, Anibal Escobar

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Re: OneFile, error.lasso and page hits stats

Anibal Escobar
That's exactly what I was doing with Lasso 3.6 and would like to
continue doing with Lasso 8.1.

Maybe I should rephrase the question and try to solve the issue with
the endless loops on error.lasso.  How have you dealt with this?

Thanks, Anibal

>I've been working on variations of oneFile and Corral recently on a
>couple of projects.
>
>The endless loop thing has been a problem for me, too, but usually
>if I can trap for various errors correctly, the error.lasso file can
>act as both a traffic cop for good files and a way to display errors
>in other situations.
>
>For the site-logging, etc., I prefer linking to and displaying a
>real-looking file name, e.g.   films/Coming_of_Age.html  instead of
>something like onefile.lasso?page=1234. The file doesn't really
>exist, but the Coming_of_Age name is searchable in a database.  Then
>my error.lasso file rewrites headers to remove the 404 File Not
>Found and replace them with 202 (if I recall correctly).  This
>approach then logs the individual pages correctly.
>
>....Doug Gentry
>
>On Oct 5, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Anibal Escobar wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone, I'm using Lasso 8.1, Web* 5.4 on some sites that I
>>converted from 3.6.  The sites are built with a oneFile structure
>>using error.lasso as the one file.  I'd like to try to change my
>>oneFile structure to use another file, instead of error.lasso as
>>the one file, mainly to avoid getting into endless loops on
>>error.lasso. My problem is that when I direct all requests to
>>oneFile.lasso, lets say, that's the only page that gets logged,
>>rendering page hits stats useless.  Any suggestions on how to get
>>around this issue?
>>
>>TIA, Anibal Escobar
>>
>>--
>>

>---
>Doug Gentry
>Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
>p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644
>[hidden email]

Re: OneFile, error.lasso and page hits stats

Bil Corry
If you're using LP8.1, then use [define_atbegin] instead of error.lasso:

http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=153657

- Bil

------

Bil Corry
[hidden email]

Enterprise internet application development and security consulting
  http://www.fivegeeks.com/

Tools for Rapid Lasso Development
  http://www.lassoware.com/

That's exactly what I was doing with Lasso 3.6 and would like to
continue doing with Lasso 8.1.

Maybe I should rephrase the question and try to solve the issue with
the endless loops on error.lasso.  How have you dealt with this?

Thanks, Anibal

>I've been working on variations of oneFile and Corral recently on a
>couple of projects.
>
>The endless loop thing has been a problem for me, too, but usually
>if I can trap for various errors correctly, the error.lasso file can
>act as both a traffic cop for good files and a way to display errors
>in other situations.
>
>For the site-logging, etc., I prefer linking to and displaying a
>real-looking file name, e.g.   films/Coming_of_Age.html  instead of
>something like onefile.lasso?page=1234. The file doesn't really
>exist, but the Coming_of_Age name is searchable in a database.  Then
>my error.lasso file rewrites headers to remove the 404 File Not
>Found and replace them with 202 (if I recall correctly).  This
>approach then logs the individual pages correctly.
>
>....Doug Gentry
>
>On Oct 5, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Anibal Escobar wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone, I'm using Lasso 8.1, Web* 5.4 on some sites that I
>>converted from 3.6.  The sites are built with a oneFile structure
>>using error.lasso as the one file.  I'd like to try to change my
>>oneFile structure to use another file, instead of error.lasso as
>>the one file, mainly to avoid getting into endless loops on
>>error.lasso. My problem is that when I direct all requests to
>>oneFile.lasso, lets say, that's the only page that gets logged,
>>rendering page hits stats useless.  Any suggestions on how to get
>>around this issue?

Re: OneFile, error.lasso and page hits stats

Greg Willits-2
See this thread:
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=151518

Bottom line is that in LP8, if you're going to use error.lasso for
phantom file name trapping, you need to implement a second
error.lasso in
     /LassoSites/{site-x}/lassoAdmin/error.lasso

-- greg willits