OT: VNC Client for iPhone

m i l e s-5
Hi,

For those of us who are iPhone (3G) enabled and/or have iPhone 2.0
update, and want a VNC client for your iPhone *WITHOUT* having to
jailbreak it.

I present to you:

http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm

I've tried it out on my servers and think its very nice.

What makes it really cool as you'll see, are the zoom and scroll
features of the iPhone are enabled.....very very very nice.

Who knew VNC could be *THIS* cool!

Now all I need is a command line tool and we'll be good to go....

Miles.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Mark Palmer
Thanks Miles, I was feeling naked without VNC.

On 18 Jul 2008, at 18:46, m i l e s wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those of us who are iPhone (3G) enabled and/or have iPhone 2.0
> update, and want a VNC client for your iPhone *WITHOUT* having to
> jailbreak it.
>
> I present to you:
>
> http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm
>
> I've tried it out on my servers and think its very nice.
>
> What makes it really cool as you'll see, are the zoom and scroll
> features of the iPhone are enabled.....very very very nice.
>
> Who knew VNC could be *THIS* cool!
>
> Now all I need is a command line tool and we'll be good to go....
>
> Miles.

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Fabrizio Carioni
Thanks so much for this info Miles!!!!

All the best

Fabrizio

>Hi,
>
>For those of us who are iPhone (3G) enabled and/or have iPhone 2.0
>update, and want a VNC client for your iPhone *WITHOUT* having to
>jailbreak it.
>
>I present to you:
>
>http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm
>
>I've tried it out on my servers and think its very nice.
>
>What makes it really cool as you'll see, are the zoom and scroll
>features of the iPhone are enabled.....very very very nice.
>
>Who knew VNC could be *THIS* cool!
>
>Now all I need is a command line tool and we'll be good to go....
>
>Miles.
>
>--
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Fabrizio Carioni - Golem100
S.r.l.
Gran Sasso (via), 50 - 20090 - Segrate (Mi) - Italy
Voice +39-02-2133402  -  Fax +39-02-93650749  - Mobile 3356463448
Email [hidden email] - URL http://www.golem100.com/

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Mr. Bret Williams
Gotta tell you, this little tool makes the iPhone an almost must-have
for me. Works absolutely great. I'm just using the Lite version, and I
can see all our servers just like with ARD.

With this, Safari, e-mail, SMS, etc., I can certainly see times where
I won't have to lug a laptop on a trip, but still be able to handle
most emergencies. I can re-start our servers via the Web already, and
with Mocha VNC, I can get onto the servers and re-start Lasso, our FTP
client, etc.

iPhones out here are still in high demand. I got to the store at 6:30a
on Saturday and was number 10 in line. While I was buying two iPhones,
the store ran out of stock, leaving about 30-40 in line to go home
empty-handed.

But it is SO cool.

On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:46 AM, m i l e s wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those of us who are iPhone (3G) enabled and/or have iPhone 2.0
> update, and want a VNC client for your iPhone *WITHOUT* having to
> jailbreak it.
>
> I present to you:
>
> http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm
>
> I've tried it out on my servers and think its very nice.
>
> What makes it really cool as you'll see, are the zoom and scroll
> features of the iPhone are enabled.....very very very nice.
>
> Who knew VNC could be *THIS* cool!
>
> Now all I need is a command line tool and we'll be good to go....
>
> Miles.

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all attachments.
Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Marc Pope
This isn't too bad:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/

Still a native ssh client would be nice.

Marc

On Jul 21, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Mr. Bret Williams wrote:

>> Now all I need is a command line tool and we'll be good to go....
>>
>> Miles.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

m i l e s-5
Marc,

 >http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/
 >
 >Still a native ssh client would be nice.

Still its better than nothing.  Thanks for the reference link.

Miles.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

jasonhuck
http://www.iphonealley.com/news/touchterm-first-ssh-client-in-the-app-store?

- jason

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM, m i l e s <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marc,
>
>>http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/
>>
>>Still a native ssh client would be nice.
>
> Still its better than nothing.  Thanks for the reference link.
>
> Miles.

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Mark Palmer
Can't see this yet on the app store in the UK.

On 7 Aug 2008, at 11:09, Jason Huck wrote:

> http://www.iphonealley.com/news/touchterm-first-ssh-client-in-the-app-store?
>
> - jason
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM, m i l e s
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Marc,
>>
>>> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/
>>>
>>> Still a native ssh client would be nice.
>>
>> Still its better than nothing.  Thanks for the reference link.
>>
>> Miles.

> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 8/7/08 at 5:13 PM, [hidden email] (Mark Palmer) wrote:

>Can't see this yet on the app store in the UK.
>
>>http://www.iphonealley.com/news/touchterm-first-ssh-client-in-the-app-store?

I bought this yesterday and it appears to work great.  It's a
bit of a pain to type out commands on the keyboard, but I have
been able to issue a Lasso or Apache restart from afar.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Mark Palmer
Hmm! I guess it will show up in it's own time.

Unless there is something about the deal with O2 in the UK that
prevents it's use.

On 8/7/08 at 9:27 AM, [hidden email] (Fletcher Sandbeck) wrote:

>I bought this yesterday and it appears to work great.  It's a
>bit of a pain to type out commands on the keyboard, but I have
>been able to issue a Lasso or Apache restart from afar.

A little more info.  Here's their Web site
<http://jbrink.net/touchterm/>.  They say the app is not
available outside of the U.S. yet, but they're working on it.
They are also working on a "Pro" app which will have more options.

The command history works a little like a macro function so you
can redo any commands you've typed already without doing them
again.  One drawback is that the password entered for "sudo"
looks like a command so it is in the command history.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Mark Palmer
 From the link you provided here is the reason why it's not available
outside the USA yet.

"Due to its use of cryptographic API's, TouchTerm requires review by
the U.S. government before being exported outside of the United
States. We're currently working through this review process to make
TouchTerm available worldwide as soon as possible."

I hope you government works faster, much faster than ours...

On 7 Aug 2008, at 17:44, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> On 8/7/08 at 9:27 AM, [hidden email] (Fletcher Sandbeck)
> wrote:
>
>> I bought this yesterday and it appears to work great.  It's a bit
>> of a pain to type out commands on the keyboard, but I have been
>> able to issue a Lasso or Apache restart from afar.
>
> A little more info.  Here's their Web site <http://jbrink.net/touchterm/
> >.  They say the app is not available outside of the U.S. yet, but
> they're working on it.  They are also working on a "Pro" app which
> will have more options.
>
> The command history works a little like a macro function so you can
> redo any commands you've typed already without doing them again.
> One drawback is that the password entered for "sudo" looks like a
> command so it is in the command history.
>
> [fletcher]
>
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Adam de Zoete-2
Hopefully not, as NetShare has already been removed.

http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/216360

Adam

Mark Palmer wrote:

> Hmm! I guess it will show up in it's own time.
>
> Unless there is something about the deal with O2 in the UK that prevents
> it's use.
>

> On 7 Aug 2008, at 17:27, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:
>
>> On 8/7/08 at 5:13 PM, [hidden email] (Mark Palmer) wrote:
>>
>>> Can't see this yet on the app store in the UK.

>> I bought this yesterday and it appears to work great.  It's a bit of a
>> pain to type out commands on the keyboard, but I have been able to
>> issue a Lasso or Apache restart from afar.
>>
>> [fletcher]
>>
>> --
>> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
>> LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

> Regards
>
> Mark Palmer
> E: [hidden email]
> T: 01902 620500
> W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Bil Corry-3
Adam de Zoete wrote on 8/7/2008 11:55 AM:
> Hopefully not, as NetShare has already been removed.
>
> http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/216360

It's back:

        <http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/209901700>

But it does highlight the insane power Apple has over your device.  I'm looking forward to owning an Android phone early next year...

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Mark Palmer
And again, not showing on the UK store.

On a side note, I wonder if Apple can technically and/or legally
remove an application you have already purchased and they have taken a
dislike to.

On 7 Aug 2008, at 19:46, Bil Corry wrote:

> Adam de Zoete wrote on 8/7/2008 11:55 AM:
>> Hopefully not, as NetShare has already been removed.
>> http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/216360
>
> It's back:
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/209901700>
>

> But it does highlight the insane power Apple has over your device.
> I'm looking forward to owning an Android phone early next year...
>

> - Bil

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Bil Corry-3
Mark Palmer wrote on 8/7/2008 2:11 PM:
> And again, not showing on the UK store.
>
> On a side note, I wonder if Apple can technically and/or legally remove
> an application you have already purchased and they have taken a dislike to.

Ah I stand corrected, apparently NetShare was removed, returned, then removed again.  And Apple has removed other apps too, for reasons they don't have to disclose:

        <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2099>

I wonder if Apple issues a refund for any app pulled, since they claim on their website:

-----
Buy an application from the App Store and you always have access to the latest version.

<http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/appstore.html>
-----

I smell a lawsuit brewing.  You can't make a marketing claim that you always provide access to the latest version, then turn around and not do it.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 8/7/08 at 1:46 PM, [hidden email] (Bil Corry) wrote:

>But it does highlight the insane power Apple has over your
>device. I'm looking forward to owning an Android phone early
>next year...

I take the point, but I am still in awe that I have a working
SSH client on my phone.  Android on the RAZR may indeed be cool,
but I'm happy with the iPhone right now.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Marc Pope

On Aug 7, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> I am still in awe that I have a working SSH client on my phone

I've had this for 5 years now on my Palm Treo 600, then 650 and now
700p. It's a little app called pSSH and it's free.

It may not be as pretty, but it works! And tethering works great too
for internet, 100% wireless over Bluetooth.

Re: OT: VNC Client for iPhone

Wade Maxfield
Mark Palmer wrote:
> And again, not showing on the UK store.
>
> On a side note, I wonder if Apple can technically and/or legally remove
> an application you have already purchased and they have taken a dislike to.

Technically it seems they can, with this phantom blacklist that has
apparently been found.

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/08/06/iphone-can-phone-home-and-kill-apps/

  - Wade