[OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Hello List,

I'm sorry for this OT, but I was curious to hear some experiences from
people using VMWare on Mac to test stuff on Linux. Not that testing
stuff on Windows isn't as relevant, but I'm having serious problems to
get a functional Linux installation running on my newly installed
VMWare Fusion.

I'm not after starting a long OT-thread here, but if somebody can
point me to where they found solutions to problems then I can
hopefully do the rest myself. I find Fusion's desktop help not
relevant for my problems, and I find the online resources so
overwhelming and confusing that I almost gave up. I did, however, find
a few half-way relevant articles but nothing that brought a solution.

I'm having a whole series of problems, starting with the serial number
being rejected as invalid when I try to register my product at
VMWare's website (!).

But basically, what I have tried is to install CentOS 4.6 three times
without success in the sense that:
  - Fusion claims that VM Tools isn't installed eventhough I each time
have run the installer (it reported successful install at least)
  - When I do a simple test for network connection (tried both LAN and
Bridge mode) by launching Firefox and trying to connect to the
internet then no go
  - In the Settings panel I can't try adding a new Network adapter as
everything except Add Shared Folder is greyed out

So I'm stuck, I get absolutely nowhere beyond this point.

I have used the setup guide found here http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.4_p2
, which Marc Pope kindly turned my attention to. For the new VM I have
tried with the options "Red Hat Linux", "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5"
or "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel". Doesn't really seem to influence the
process which one I choose.

/nikolaj

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Trevor Borgmeier
This doesn't answer your question, but I've been happy with virtualbox a
free Fusion/Parallels alternative.  That being said, I haven't tried
installing CentOS with it...

http://www.virtualbox.org/

-Trevor

Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I'm sorry for this OT, but I was curious to hear some experiences from
> people using VMWare on Mac to test stuff on Linux. Not that testing
> stuff on Windows isn't as relevant, but I'm having serious problems to
> get a functional Linux installation running on my newly installed
> VMWare Fusion.
>
> I'm not after starting a long OT-thread here, but if somebody can
> point me to where they found solutions to problems then I can
> hopefully do the rest myself. I find Fusion's desktop help not
> relevant for my problems, and I find the online resources so
> overwhelming and confusing that I almost gave up. I did, however, find
> a few half-way relevant articles but nothing that brought a solution.
>
> I'm having a whole series of problems, starting with the serial number
> being rejected as invalid when I try to register my product at
> VMWare's website (!).
>
> But basically, what I have tried is to install CentOS 4.6 three times
> without success in the sense that:
>  - Fusion claims that VM Tools isn't installed eventhough I each time
> have run the installer (it reported successful install at least)
>  - When I do a simple test for network connection (tried both LAN and
> Bridge mode) by launching Firefox and trying to connect to the
> internet then no go
>  - In the Settings panel I can't try adding a new Network adapter as
> everything except Add Shared Folder is greyed out
>
> So I'm stuck, I get absolutely nowhere beyond this point.
>
> I have used the setup guide found here
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.4_p2, which Marc Pope
> kindly turned my attention to. For the new VM I have tried with the
> options "Red Hat Linux", "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" or "Other Linux
> 2.6.x kernel". Doesn't really seem to influence the process which one
> I choose.
>
> /nikolaj

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Tim Taplin
As long as you have solved the licensing issues with your VMWare, I'd
look to centos install issues being your problems. I've installed
quite a number of linux variations, virtual appliances and other os'
without truly finding an issue that I could trace back to VMware.
You'll most likely want to be using the bridge mode as it allows for
the VM to appear on your network as if it was its own machine.

I haven't looked recently but it might be worth downloading a
preconfigured VMware appliance to do some testing if the correct
version is still available for you.

oh, the vmware tools can't install unless you already have the os
installed and I've seen them to be flaky at best on linux systems.

Unfortunately, VirtualBox still doesn't have networking support on a
Mac. It only functions in Nat mode which renders it basicly useless
for anything other than desktop client testing.

Just my thoughts.

Tim Taplin

On Aug 13, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> This doesn't answer your question, but I've been happy with
> virtualbox a free Fusion/Parallels alternative.  That being said, I
> haven't tried installing CentOS with it...
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> -Trevor
>

> Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I'm sorry for this OT, but I was curious to hear some experiences
>> from people using VMWare on Mac to test stuff on Linux. Not that
>> testing stuff on Windows isn't as relevant, but I'm having serious
>> problems to get a functional Linux installation running on my
>> newly installed VMWare Fusion.
>>
>> I'm not after starting a long OT-thread here, but if somebody can
>> point me to where they found solutions to problems then I can
>> hopefully do the rest myself. I find Fusion's desktop help not
>> relevant for my problems, and I find the online resources so
>> overwhelming and confusing that I almost gave up. I did, however,
>> find a few half-way relevant articles but nothing that brought a
>> solution.
>>
>> I'm having a whole series of problems, starting with the serial
>> number being rejected as invalid when I try to register my product
>> at VMWare's website (!).
>>
>> But basically, what I have tried is to install CentOS 4.6 three
>> times without success in the sense that:
>>  - Fusion claims that VM Tools isn't installed eventhough I each
>> time have run the installer (it reported successful install at least)
>>  - When I do a simple test for network connection (tried both LAN
>> and Bridge mode) by launching Firefox and trying to connect to the
>> internet then no go
>>  - In the Settings panel I can't try adding a new Network adapter
>> as everything except Add Shared Folder is greyed out
>>
>> So I'm stuck, I get absolutely nowhere beyond this point.
>>
>> I have used the setup guide found here http://www.howtoforge.com/
>> perfect_setup_centos_4.4_p2, which Marc Pope kindly turned my
>> attention to. For the new VM I have tried with the options "Red
>> Hat Linux", "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" or "Other Linux 2.6.x
>> kernel". Doesn't really seem to influence the process which one I
>> choose.
>>
>> /nikolaj

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Marc Pope
Are you actually getting all the way through the installer? I think
you ought to look for pre-made "virtual containers" or whatever they
are called that already have the OS in an image, then you'll just have
to worry about configuring stuff.

Marc

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I'm sorry for this OT, but I was curious to hear some experiences
> from people using VMWare on Mac to test stuff on Linux. Not that
> testing stuff on Windows isn't as relevant, but I'm having serious
> problems to get a functional Linux installation running on my newly
> installed VMWare Fusion.
>
> I'm not after starting a long OT-thread here, but if somebody can
> point me to where they found solutions to problems then I can
> hopefully do the rest myself. I find Fusion's desktop help not
> relevant for my problems, and I find the online resources so
> overwhelming and confusing that I almost gave up. I did, however,
> find a few half-way relevant articles but nothing that brought a
> solution.
>
> I'm having a whole series of problems, starting with the serial
> number being rejected as invalid when I try to register my product
> at VMWare's website (!).
>
> But basically, what I have tried is to install CentOS 4.6 three
> times without success in the sense that:
> - Fusion claims that VM Tools isn't installed eventhough I each time
> have run the installer (it reported successful install at least)
> - When I do a simple test for network connection (tried both LAN and
> Bridge mode) by launching Firefox and trying to connect to the
> internet then no go
> - In the Settings panel I can't try adding a new Network adapter as
> everything except Add Shared Folder is greyed out
>
> So I'm stuck, I get absolutely nowhere beyond this point.
>
> I have used the setup guide found here http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.4_p2
> , which Marc Pope kindly turned my attention to. For the new VM I
> have tried with the options "Red Hat Linux", "Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 5" or "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel". Doesn't really seem to
> influence the process which one I choose.
>
> /nikolaj

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

I have done this as follows:

(1)  Have a working copy of VMWare Fusion with a valid license.  (This could be the root of the problem.)

(2)  Download and install the CentOS Virtual Appliance version you want.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1137

a wee 471MB file.

(3)  Launch VMWare.

(4)  Create a New... virtual machine.

(5)  When the wizard asks for an OS, select Linux, then Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.

(6)  Continue walking through the wizard, making sure you select the proper Virtual Appliance you downloaded originally.

(7)  Launch the CentOS virtual machine and rejoice.

--steve

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008, [hidden email] (Nikolaj de Fine Licht) pronounced:

>Hello List,
>
>I'm sorry for this OT, but I was curious to hear some experiences from
>people using VMWare on Mac to test stuff on Linux. Not that testing
>stuff on Windows isn't as relevant, but I'm having serious problems to
>get a functional Linux installation running on my newly installed
>VMWare Fusion.
>
>I'm not after starting a long OT-thread here, but if somebody can
>point me to where they found solutions to problems then I can
>hopefully do the rest myself. I find Fusion's desktop help not
>relevant for my problems, and I find the online resources so
>overwhelming and confusing that I almost gave up. I did, however, find
>a few half-way relevant articles but nothing that brought a solution.
>
>I'm having a whole series of problems, starting with the serial number
>being rejected as invalid when I try to register my product at
>VMWare's website (!).
>
>But basically, what I have tried is to install CentOS 4.6 three times
>without success in the sense that:
>  - Fusion claims that VM Tools isn't installed eventhough I each time
>have run the installer (it reported successful install at least)
>  - When I do a simple test for network connection (tried both LAN and
>Bridge mode) by launching Firefox and trying to connect to the
>internet then no go
>  - In the Settings panel I can't try adding a new Network adapter as
>everything except Add Shared Folder is greyed out
>
>So I'm stuck, I get absolutely nowhere beyond this point.
>
>I have used the setup guide found here
>http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.4_p2
>, which Marc Pope kindly turned my attention to. For the new VM I have
>tried with the options "Red Hat Linux", "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5"
>or "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel". Doesn't really seem to influence the
>process which one I choose.
>
>/nikolaj

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Marc, thanks for chiming in, I'm trying to download such an
"Appliance" as Steve also suggests.

But yes, I do get CentOS installed, I actually got one step further
today in that I really got the VM Tools correctly installed. Now I
just have to figure why I don't have network...

/nikolaj

On 14. aug 2008, at 1:17, Marc Pope wrote:

> Are you actually getting all the way through the installer? I think
> you ought to look for pre-made "virtual containers" or whatever they
> are called that already have the OS in an image, then you'll just
> have to worry about configuring stuff.

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your idea, I hadn't found that appliance eventhough I did
some searching around there :)

I'm downloading it now, then I'll have to see if I have better luck
with that :)

/nikolaj

On 14. aug 2008, at 1:35, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> I have done this as follows:
>
> (1)  Have a working copy of VMWare Fusion with a valid license.
> (This could be the root of the problem.)
>
> (2)  Download and install the CentOS Virtual Appliance version you
> want.
>
> http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1137
>
> a wee 471MB file.
>
> (3)  Launch VMWare.
>
> (4)  Create a New... virtual machine.
>
> (5)  When the wizard asks for an OS, select Linux, then Other Linux
> 2.6.x kernel.
>
> (6)  Continue walking through the wizard, making sure you select the
> proper Virtual Appliance you downloaded originally.
>
> (7)  Launch the CentOS virtual machine and rejoice.

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Richard Taubo
Hi!

On 14/08/2008, at 3:47, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> But yes, I do get CentOS installed, I actually got one step further
> today in that I really got the VM Tools correctly installed. Now I
> just have to figure why I don't have network...

Might it be that you have network but do not what IP it is running on?

If so, from the CLI in CentOS run:
ifconfig

Then you can pick up the first inet addr, e.g. for eth0, and use this
address when communicating with CentOS.

When you know that IP you can communicate with the box through ssh for
instance (if set up inside of CentOS of course).

Best regards,
Richard Taubo

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

dguardiola

Le 13 août 08 à 23:02, Trevor Borgmeier a écrit :

> This doesn't answer your question, but I've been happy with
> virtualbox a free Fusion/Parallels alternative.  That being said, I
> haven't tried installing CentOS with it...
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/

I did it on leopard/intel, it works well with CentOS 4, except that I
have to choose each time at the CentOS boot screen the second way of
booting (don't know exactly what it refers to) or the boot process
freeze quickly

then i get to gnome desktop easily
found the IP, had sucessful pings from the mac, but could not use SSH
to get into the virtual centos from the mac
my tests stoppped here, did not tried lasso yet

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Cory Robin-3
Looks like alot of time is being invested in trying to get things
working in VMWare...    While I do use it to run some windows apps on
my Mac Pro  (sexy new machine).  I've found that the savings in
actually purchasing a cheapo box to run linux on far outweighs the
cost in my time trying to get things to work via VMWare...

FWIW, I buy cheapo 1U linux, and windows 'test' servers from Dave at
Priority Computing in california...  I can get a 1U server with 2GB
ram for ~$300, and even cheaper if I have the space for a desktop
case...   Anyway.  probably not a huge contribution to getting CentOS
running on VMWare, but might save a pain in your butt!  (Dave's AIM is
davepriority)

Re: [OT] VMWare Fusion for testing on Linux

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
To bring a happy end to this thread I wanted to post the solution to
my problem:

Seems that if you want to use static IP in your Guest OS you *must*
assign an IP which is in the same Subnet as the VMware Fusion NAT
Network Adapter on your Host. The IP address being assigned to vmnet8
is 172.16.168.1 and therefore the available IP address range to use
for a static IP address in the Guest will be between 172.16.168.3 and
172.16.168.127. 172.16.168.2 is the VMware NAT DHCP Server and the
Scope of its IP Address Pool is 172.16.168.127 to 172.16.168.254 and
the Brodacast IP Address is 172.16.168.255.

I had been following a CentOS setup walkthrough which assumed setup on
a normal host machine, not as VM Guest. Also, the Fusion docs seem to
lack a note about this rather important detail.

As soon as I assigned the static IP 172.16.168.3 I had network and I
can now proceed to what was actually the purpose of this exercise: to
install Lasso and test some solutions on Lasso/Linux.

If of any interest, the thread which helped me through is here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1025967

/nikolaj