[OT] VH names - need ideas

shelane
We have just installed a new server that will be the server for our internal
applications.  I'm just terrible (not creative) when it comes to naming.

Types of applications server will host:
1)Event "bulletin" board (a calendar of events without the calendar) -
registrations, peer created events, organization sponsored events.

2)Trip reporting (when our people go places and meeting with other people)

3)Student, fellows poster symposium (registration for students and fellows
presenting their project work)

... There will be others going on this machine, they just haven't been
identified yet.

Our "organization" is splitting into two groups come Oct 1 and "University
Relations Program" will no longer exist as is.  We have used VH names such
as education, universitygateway, internships.  All of those are still in use
and will remain so.

So you creative types have some ideas?

Re: [OT] VH names - need ideas

Clive Bruton

On 29 Aug 2007, at 18:26, Shelane Enos wrote:

> I'm just terrible (not creative) when it comes to naming.

I name mine after London "villages": Merton, Sreatham, Soho,
Southwark, Battersea...

-- Clive

Re: [OT] VH names - need ideas

Greg Hemphill
I've always liked how Digital Forest names their servers after trees
and such.. like Oak, Willow, Treehouse and etc.

On Aug 29, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2007, at 18:26, Shelane Enos wrote:
>
>> I'm just terrible (not creative) when it comes to naming.
>
> I name mine after London "villages": Merton, Sreatham, Soho,
> Southwark, Battersea...
>

> -- Clive

Re: [OT] VH names - need ideas

Mr. Bret Williams
Ours are named after Roman mythological gods: Atlas, Hercules,
Athena, etc.

On Aug 29, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Greg Hemphill wrote:

> I've always liked how Digital Forest names their servers after
> trees and such.. like Oak, Willow, Treehouse and etc.

> On Aug 29, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
>

>> On 29 Aug 2007, at 18:26, Shelane Enos wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just terrible (not creative) when it comes to naming.
>>
>> I name mine after London "villages": Merton, Sreatham, Soho,
>> Southwark, Battersea...
>>

>> -- Clive

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Re: [OT] VH names - need ideas

Jim VH-2
I found naming servers like digital forest confusing as to what
server was what. That likely isn't an issue for some, but for me it
was a problem. Thus, I decided to name mine after the base thing it
does along with a prefix. For my real estate servers, our product is
named DataShow. Thus we name our DataShow servers dsWeb, dsSQL,
dsBackup, etc.

Since you are splitting into 2 groups, maybe the prefix would be the
abbreviated group name followed by the server's main purpose.

Just a thought.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Aug 29, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Shelane Enos wrote:

> We have just installed a new server that will be the server for our
> internal
> applications.  I'm just terrible (not creative) when it comes to
> naming.
>
> Types of applications server will host:
> 1)Event "bulletin" board (a calendar of events without the calendar) -
> registrations, peer created events, organization sponsored events.
>
> 2)Trip reporting (when our people go places and meeting with other
> people)
>
> 3)Student, fellows poster symposium (registration for students and
> fellows
> presenting their project work)
>
> ... There will be others going on this machine, they just haven't been
> identified yet.
>
> Our "organization" is splitting into two groups come Oct 1 and
> "University
> Relations Program" will no longer exist as is.  We have used VH
> names such
> as education, universitygateway, internships.  All of those are
> still in use
> and will remain so.
>
> So you creative types have some ideas?

Re: [OT] VH names - need ideas

Brian K. Middendorf
> I found naming servers like digital forest confusing as to what
> server was what.

I've always liked it because when a tree falls in that forest they
hear about it...  ...getting the crew to clean up the mess is a
different story though.

-brian.

Re: [OT] VH names - need ideas

shelane
As I mentioned the 3 main apps that will run initially.  These applications
are used by people across the laboratory.  The content of the bulletin
boards will be anything from High-energy density physics seminars to the
Macintosh technical series meetings.  Students and fellows who participate
in the symposium are from all science disciplines.  The trip report is for a
single group - not even part of our group.  The group our servers will
belong to is under HR in the new "recruiting" department.  The transition
will occur Oct 1, but we're not exactly sure what our new name will be.

Even so, recruitment doesn't seem to fit for the server name because the
action of recruitment is something different (we actually have a server the
candidate and admin process of recruiting).  I wouldn't want to say HRapps
(I don't even think we'd be able to get that) because there are *lots* of HR
applications that live on a different server and I don't want the mother
ship of the organization we're going into to get upset and make it look like
we're trying to take over all of their stuff.