[OT] Simon

Jim Van Heule
Have any of you used or evaluated Simon for monitoring your servers
and websites?

http://www.dejal.com/simon/

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

Re: [OT] Simon

decorior
Yes,

We use it. It had a couple of rough updates, but works great. The
nice thing is that it provides a variety of tests. That is, we can
test if the server is up or lasso is just hosed!

Deco

On Mar 17, 2006, at 6:38 PM, Jim Van Heule wrote:

> Have any of you used or evaluated Simon for monitoring your servers
> and websites?
>
> http://www.dejal.com/simon/
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066

Re: [OT] Simon

Fletcher Sandbeck
On 3/17/06 at 8:38 PM by [hidden email] (Jim Van Heule):

>Have any of you used or evaluated Simon for monitoring your servers
>and websites?
>
>http://www.dejal.com/simon/

I used it for a while, but really can't recommend it.  It just didn't seem like it was reliable enough to count on.  There were enough occasional crashes and false positives that I was unable to have it perform automatic restarts and sthat sort of thing.  But, it does have a lot of nice tests and notification options so if they get the issues corrected it could be very useful.

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: [OT] Simon

We have been using 2.0.5, but I just went and updated to the latest
version.

There were some versions that were very unstable, and the developer
took a while to release point versions. I would try it out, and see
if it works for you.

We do not have it perform automatic restarts on the servers. Both
lasso and the server do their own rebooting/starting. I don't think I
would want my restarts to be dependent on a network connection.

Deco

On Mar 17, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> On 3/17/06 at 8:38 PM by [hidden email] (Jim Van Heule):
>
>> Have any of you used or evaluated Simon for monitoring your servers
>> and websites?
>>
>> http://www.dejal.com/simon/
>
> I used it for a while, but really can't recommend it.  It just
> didn't seem like it was reliable enough to count on.  There were
> enough occasional crashes and false positives that I was unable to
> have it perform automatic restarts and sthat sort of thing.  But,
> it does have a lot of nice tests and notification options so if
> they get the issues corrected it could be very useful.
>
> [fletcher]
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
> OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: [OT] Simon

Jim Van Heule
On the other hand, I would find a remote reboot of Lasso, Apache,
MySQL and the server a valuable asset and have been looking for that
holy grail for several years now. You have to setup your testing to
ensure that the service itself isn't hosed such as pinging the
incoming router, firewall or switch. But, if that passed and service
wasn't responding, I'd probably first send an email and eventually
send a restart command to try and fix the problem.

Even better would be a monitor that had an ssl web page option that
allowed you to log in and click a button to restart various services
and servers. Something that I could run on my Treo when Internet
service is nowhere to be found and I know my server is down.

My holy grail would email me a text message what server/service was
down. I could then log into the monitor web app easily see what was
up and down with the option to restart any service/server right from
my Treo.

In fact, I was wondering if something like that could be built in
LP8.5 with the new shell commands being made available.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Mar 18, 2006, at 12:27 AM, Deco Rior wrote:

> We have been using 2.0.5, but I just went and updated to the latest
> version.
>
> There were some versions that were very unstable, and the developer
> took a while to release point versions. I would try it out, and see
> if it works for you.
>
> We do not have it perform automatic restarts on the servers. Both
> lasso and the server do their own rebooting/starting. I don't think
> I would want my restarts to be dependent on a network connection.
>
> Deco
>

> On Mar 17, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/06 at 8:38 PM by [hidden email] (Jim Van Heule):
>>
>>> Have any of you used or evaluated Simon for monitoring your servers
>>> and websites?
>>>
>>> http://www.dejal.com/simon/
>>
>> I used it for a while, but really can't recommend it.  It just
>> didn't seem like it was reliable enough to count on.  There were
>> enough occasional crashes and false positives that I was unable to
>> have it perform automatic restarts and sthat sort of thing.  But,
>> it does have a lot of nice tests and notification options so if
>> they get the issues corrected it could be very useful.
>>
>> [fletcher]
>> --
>> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
>> Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
>> OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: [OT] Simon

John May-2
I assume you've looked at PageSentry?  We run it here in conjunction
with BayTech power strips and it works phenomenally.

I SSH in from my Treo to reboot any boxes I need to via command-line.

        - John

>On the other hand, I would find a remote reboot of Lasso, Apache,
>MySQL and the server a valuable asset and have been looking for that
>holy grail for several years now. You have to setup your testing to
>ensure that the service itself isn't hosed such as pinging the
>incoming router, firewall or switch. But, if that passed and service
>wasn't responding, I'd probably first send an email and eventually
>send a restart command to try and fix the problem.
>
>Even better would be a monitor that had an ssl web page option that
>allowed you to log in and click a button to restart various services
>and servers. Something that I could run on my Treo when Internet
>service is nowhere to be found and I know my server is down.
>
>My holy grail would email me a text message what server/service was
>down. I could then log into the monitor web app easily see what was
>up and down with the option to restart any service/server right from
>my Treo.
>
>In fact, I was wondering if something like that could be built in
>LP8.5 with the new shell commands being made available.
>
>--
>Jim Van Heule
>Heunox Corporation
>(616) 844-0066
>

>On Mar 18, 2006, at 12:27 AM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>>We have been using 2.0.5, but I just went and updated to the latest version.
>>
>>There were some versions that were very unstable, and the developer
>>took a while to release point versions. I would try it out, and see
>>if it works for you.
>>
>>We do not have it perform automatic restarts on the servers. Both
>>lasso and the server do their own rebooting/starting. I don't think
>>I would want my restarts to be dependent on a network connection.
>>
>>Deco
>>

>>On Mar 17, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:
>>
>>>On 3/17/06 at 8:38 PM by [hidden email] (Jim Van Heule):

>>>I used it for a while, but really can't recommend it.  It just
>>>didn't seem like it was reliable enough to count on.  There were
>>>enough occasional crashes and false positives that I was unable to
>>>have it perform automatic restarts and sthat sort of thing.  But,
>>>it does have a lot of nice tests and notification options so if
>>>they get the issues corrected it could be very useful.
>>>
>>>[fletcher]

John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: [OT] Simon

Ditto

ssh from my blackberry is very cool! We looked at Page Sentry. I am
not sure why we chose Simon, but I know the feature list was
different (maybe it was because Simon can run applescripts?). Anyway
try them both. We run Simon remotely and it checks multiple physical
locations.

Simon can text message, email,  when the service fails. What I like
is the various different notifications. For example if the ping times
get long, I can get a notification but it does not try to do anything
drastic!

If there is a failure, we login and see if it is the monitoring
network or the server. If it is the server we take action.

99% of the time I get notification because of a network issue and my
servers are fine! So I don't want an automatic reboot in those cases.
On the other  hand Simon could be installed on the same local network
as the servers and it could do an automatic reboot.

Anyway, sounds like your holy grail might be reachable....lucky you :-)

deco

On Mar 18, 2006, at 7:21 AM, John May wrote:

> I assume you've looked at PageSentry?  We run it here in
> conjunction with BayTech power strips and it works phenomenally.
>
> I SSH in from my Treo to reboot any boxes I need to via command-line.
>
> - John
>

>> On the other hand, I would find a remote reboot of Lasso, Apache,
>> MySQL and the server a valuable asset and have been looking for
>> that holy grail for several years now. You have to setup your
>> testing to ensure that the service itself isn't hosed such as
>> pinging the incoming router, firewall or switch. But, if that
>> passed and service wasn't responding, I'd probably first send an
>> email and eventually send a restart command to try and fix the
>> problem.
>>
>> Even better would be a monitor that had an ssl web page option
>> that allowed you to log in and click a button to restart various
>> services and servers. Something that I could run on my Treo when
>> Internet service is nowhere to be found and I know my server is down.
>>
>> My holy grail would email me a text message what server/service
>> was down. I could then log into the monitor web app easily see
>> what was up and down with the option to restart any service/server
>> right from my Treo.
>>
>> In fact, I was wondering if something like that could be built in
>> LP8.5 with the new shell commands being made available.
>>
>> --
>> Jim Van Heule
>> Heunox Corporation
>> (616) 844-0066
>>

>> On Mar 18, 2006, at 12:27 AM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>>> We have been using 2.0.5, but I just went and updated to the
>>> latest version.
>>>
>>> There were some versions that were very unstable, and the
>>> developer took a while to release point versions. I would try it
>>> out, and see if it works for you.
>>>
>>> We do not have it perform automatic restarts on the servers. Both
>>> lasso and the server do their own rebooting/starting. I don't
>>> think I would want my restarts to be dependent on a network
>>> connection.
>>>
>>> Deco

> John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: [OT] Simon

Doug Gentry-2
And Whistleblower (at least used to) had integration connections with
SophisticatedCircuits' power strips, and even a telephone connection
for power recycling if the higher tech solutions didn't work.

....Doug Gentry

On Mar 18, 2006, at 6:21 AM, John May wrote:

> I assume you've looked at PageSentry?  We run it here in
> conjunction with BayTech power strips and it works phenomenally.
>
> I SSH in from my Treo to reboot any boxes I need to via command-line.
>
> - John

---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Re: [OT] Simon

Trevor Jacques
>I assume you've looked at PageSentry?  We run it here in conjunction
>with BayTech power strips and it works phenomenally.

Maxum seem to have deprecated it. It's still showing at
http://Maxum.com/PageSentry/, but the link is no longer available
from their home page....

>I SSH in from my Treo to reboot any boxes I need to via command-line.

I use a PowerKey in case PageSentry, the Keep It Up web interface,
and other means fail. It uses a telephone to do it's work of cycling
the power on the machine.

Most of the above applies to OS 9 machines, since I've not configured
this on OS X, but having a $25 OS 9 machine (like my 7200 and 7300)
on hand can repay itself very quickly in a sticky situation.  :-)

T.

Re: [OT] Simon

Trevor Jacques
>And Whistleblower (at least used to) had integration connections
>with SophisticatedCircuits' power strips, and even a telephone
>connection for power recycling if the higher tech solutions didn't
>work.

A technique I've recently added to the PowerBar set up above to keep
my 7300 up, has been to create a ram disk, put the OS and FMP, etc.,
on the RAM disk, and reboot from the RAM disk. I then tell it to put
drives to sleep when not in use (which is always, since FMP is
connecting to an FMP server). The only remaining moving part in the
box now is the fan. If the fan, memory, or motherboard goes, I have
more problems than I can fix remotely. Historically, power failures
here are extremely rare, for many reasons (like the east coast black
out).  :-)

For a small shop without 100% up time requirements, the above does
help me sleep at night.

T.

Re: [OT] Simon

m i l e s-4

On Mar 18, 2006, at 9:51 AM, Trevor Jacques wrote:

 >A technique I've recently added to the PowerBar set up above to
keep my 7300 up,
 >has been to create a ram disk, put the OS and FMP, etc., on the RAM
disk,
 >and reboot from the RAM disk.

Ahhhhh the days when you could create a ram disk to hold that 'much'
data...

Those were the days...

M i l e s.

Re: [OT] Simon

Bret Williams
We started using it recently, and it works great for us. We test a
small lasso page:

<?LassoScript Output: 'Lassotest'; ?>

If "LassoTest" appears in the output, all is fine. We also have
created a page to pull a field from a MySQL table and test for that
result.

The only problem, of course, is if the machine with Simon has a
problem accessing the net. To combat that, we have two machines in
different areas of the country testing. If I get alerts from both,
I'll know the server is indeed down. So far, no downtime (yeah!).

I really like this app. It has a built-in Web server so I can quickly
see what the status is and when the last failure and recovery was.
Since Whistleblower doesn't seem to be in production any longer,
Simon is about all that's available as a stand-along MacOX app.

On Mar 17, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Jim Van Heule wrote:

> Have any of you used or evaluated Simon for monitoring your servers
> and websites?
>
> http://www.dejal.com/simon/
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.