[OT] SMTP Service in europe

dguardiola
Hello

My CMS now includes a newsletter creation tool, but I'm facing a
limitation from my DNS/Email hosting company on the number of messages
their free smtp relay service can handle at a time (they're all sent
from Lasso queue to the official smtp, in order to prevent being
filtered by some "sender domain ≠ smtp domain" rules enforced by some
french ISP)

I've set up my own mail server some years ago, but I clearly won't do
it again, this is too much work and monitoring involved to maintain a
simple POP/SMTP service

I saw the posts about emailing companies like mailchimp, but i just
look for a simple smtp/pop service, do you know any reliable and cheap
company doing this in europe?
I also fear about choosing such a service but then going into trouble
as their servers could be blacklisted because of another user of the
service...

thanks for any good pointers you'll have on this

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: [OT] SMTP Service in europe

Marc Vos
What you can do, is buy a domain name with e-mail. That costs about 60
euro per year. You can then from Lasso login to that account and send
mails via that account - the server will see a normal email client
sending mail. That's what I do for some friends of mine who's sites
are hosted on my server but their domains are hosted elsewhere. My
server got blacklisted because I was sending mail on their behalf to
their provider's servers. Since the provider started to scan incoming
mail with the junkfilter, the mails coming from my server were blocked
because they did not originate from a server known to the domain
hosting provider.

I think you'll have a maximum of 5gb traffic a month for that price.

- -
Marc

On 07-feb-2009, at 17:14, Dominique Guardiola wrote:

> Hello
>
> My CMS now includes a newsletter creation tool, but I'm facing a
> limitation from my DNS/Email hosting company on the number of
> messages their free smtp relay service can handle at a time (they're
> all sent from Lasso queue to the official smtp, in order to prevent
> being filtered by some "sender domain ≠ smtp domain" rules enforced
> by some french ISP)
>
> I've set up my own mail server some years ago, but I clearly won't
> do it again, this is too much work and monitoring involved to
> maintain a simple POP/SMTP service
>
> I saw the posts about emailing companies like mailchimp, but i just
> look for a simple smtp/pop service, do you know any reliable and
> cheap company doing this in europe?
> I also fear about choosing such a service but then going into
> trouble as their servers could be blacklisted because of another
> user of the service...
>
> thanks for any good pointers you'll have on this
>

> --
> Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
> http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: [OT] SMTP Service in europe

CoMedia
dguardiola wrote
[...]

I think your hosting provider, http://www.macminihosting.nl, can offer you such a service. As a matter of fact, I am very sure about this (as I'm the dude behind this service) ;-)

-- Alfred

Re: [OT] SMTP Service in europe

dguardiola

Le 7 févr. 09 à 23:23, Marc Vos a écrit :

> What you can do, is buy a domain name with e-mail.

The DNS hosting I have do this, the traffic limit is the problem I
have with them. 60 euro a year would be a fair price, have you got any
url please ?

Le 8 févr. 09 à 17:35, CoMedia a écrit :

> I think your hosting provider, http://www.macminihosting.nl, can
> offer you
> such a service. As a matter of fact, I am very sure about this (as
> I'm the
> dude behind this service) ;-)

glad to here that Alfred, please see my email offlist

Email delay

dguardiola
Finally, I found out that my hosting provider smtp bottleneck is about
the number of emails/second

Will my email settings  restrain Lasso from sending more than 2
emails /second ?

email retry : 30 seconds

email sweep delay : 30 seconds (--> does the email sender goes to
sleep when there's others emails in the queue ?)

maximum # queues : 1

send # messages per connection : 1

Dominique

Re: Email delay

decorior
At least they still sent them. Many just block them if you exceed
their limits.

This was the main reason we went to the MailChimp service. It was just
easier, but it does depend on your needs.

Most providers have a set of rules including the "Total Number" that
can be sent in a certain time period. So even if you get past this you
may run into problems. Some seem more lenient than others on this, but
there is usually a max which is easily exceeded by having a few
customers on your solution.

The problem we have is that our customers initiate the emails, so we
could end up with spikes which got throttled back.