[OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Paul Melia
For those interested...

http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/index.html

No info on whether 64-bit computing will be part of the deal.

Paul

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Clive Bruton

On 6 Jun 2005, at 19:17, Paul Melia wrote:

> For those interested...

I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay down...

-- Clive

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Greg Willits
On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2005, at 19:17, Paul Melia wrote:
>
>> For those interested...
>
> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay down...

The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge. For
lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented many of
the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.

What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of Altivec
anyway.

If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd still
look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs faster is
all.

This is a good thing whose time has come.

-- gw

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Cristian Cerda
Good for OS X ... not Apple machines ...

there will be no reason now for low end consumers, apart from looks,
to buy an Apple machine ... i wouldn't ... i'll still use OSX
though ....

i'm a bit sad :(

Cristian

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
>
>> On 6 Jun 2005, at 19:17, Paul Melia wrote:
>>

>>> For those interested...
>>>

>> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay
>> down...
>>

> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented
> many of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>
> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of
> Altivec anyway.
>
> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd
> still look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs
> faster is all.
>
> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>
> -- gw

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Cory Robin
 None of us really know the *real* details behind this decision.
Personally, I don't think they would have made the move unless there was a
*REALLY* good reason for it.  I'm optimistic about the days ahead.

Perhaps Apple will be more compatible now..   Now the Endian's can all line
up - possibly...

Good for OS X ... not Apple machines ...

there will be no reason now for low end consumers, apart from looks, to buy
an Apple machine ... i wouldn't ... i'll still use OSX though ....

i'm a bit sad :(

Cristian

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
>
>> On 6 Jun 2005, at 19:17, Paul Melia wrote:
>>

>>> For those interested...
>>>

>> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay
>> down...
>>

> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented many
> of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>
> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of Altivec
> anyway.
>
> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd still
> look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs faster is
> all.
>
> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>
> -- gw

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Eric Browning
I beg to differ, when you have 430+ macs to manage and you have to
replace them all (including servers) with an average price of $1300
you're looking at $600,000 (in 2 years) to make a switch which is
cost prohibitive and a pain in the neck you'd be hating this news
too.  This means we can't be spending money on new servers that we
need because they are basically obselete before we buy them because
of the now known transition to Inhell, scuse me, Intel chips.

Hell as frozen over

Here's what I'm predicting.  It'll be a matter of months before
hackers make OS X run on other x86 hardware, this will detract from
hardware sales for Apple and cause financial ruin for our favorite
forbidden fruit of a company.

I hope Omnipilot downloads Xcode 2.1 and starts making lasso
compatible with this mess of an idea.
--
Eric Browning

On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
>
>> On 6 Jun 2005, at 19:17, Paul Melia wrote:
>>

>>> For those interested...
>>>

>> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay
>> down...
>>

> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented
> many of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>
> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of
> Altivec anyway.
>
> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd
> still look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs
> faster is all.
>
> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>
> -- gw

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!

Aside from that, now I will have a use for all of my "Evil Inside" stickers.
<http://www.fastdecals.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&product=evil_inside&category=all&keywords=inside&hits_seen=&page=search.html&and=&affiliate_id=>

--steve

On Monday, June 6, 2005, [hidden email] (Cristian Cerda) pronounced:

>Good for OS X ... not Apple machines ...
>
>there will be no reason now for low end consumers, apart from looks,
>to buy an Apple machine ... i wouldn't ... i'll still use OSX
>though ....
>
>i'm a bit sad :(
>
>Cristian
>

>On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

>>> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay
>>> down...
>>>

>> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
>> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented
>> many of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>>
>> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of
>> Altivec anyway.
>>
>> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd
>> still look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs
>> faster is all.
>>
>> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>>
>> -- gw

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Mark Palmer
This all sounds good to me, a Mac user since 1985, in 12-24 months time I
can buy a Mac that runs OS X just as it does today but somewhat faster - the
Rosetta speed offset by the faster processor. Plus an existing PC user can
join the party by buying a Mac that runs OSX *AND* Windows - if I read this
correctly. There will be little if any penalty in switching.

on 6/6/05 20:59, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder at [hidden email]
wrote:

> The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!
>
> Aside from that, now I will have a use for all of my "Evil Inside" stickers.
> <http://www.fastdecals.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&
> product=evil_inside&category=all&keywords=inside&hits_seen=&page=search.html&a
> nd=&affiliate_id=>
>
> --steve
>

> On Monday, June 6, 2005, [hidden email] (Cristian Cerda) pronounced:
>
>> Good for OS X ... not Apple machines ...
>>
>> there will be no reason now for low end consumers, apart from looks,
>> to buy an Apple machine ... i wouldn't ... i'll still use OSX
>> though ....
>>
>> i'm a bit sad :(
>>
>> Cristian

>>> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
>>> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented
>>> many of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>>>
>>> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of
>>> Altivec anyway.
>>>
>>> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd
>>> still look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs
>>> faster is all.
>>>
>>> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>>>
>>> -- gw
>>>

>>> --
>>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>>>

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Thomas Waters
Uh.. you won't be able to run OS X on anything but an Apple box.

I have been laughing all afternoon at the drama.  A Mac will still be
a Mac and the OS still OS X.  It will just have a different chip in
there.  It doesn't become a Winbox just because it has a different
chip.  LOL

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Cristian Cerda wrote:

> Good for OS X ... not Apple machines ...
>
> there will be no reason now for low end consumers, apart from
> looks, to buy an Apple machine ... i wouldn't ... i'll still use
> OSX though ....
>
> i'm a bit sad :(
>
> Cristian
>

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

>>> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay
>>> down...
>>>

>> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
>> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented
>> many of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>>
>> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of
>> Altivec anyway.
>>
>> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd
>> still look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs
>> faster is all.
>>
>> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>>
>> -- gw

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Thomas Waters
Get a grip.  You 1) have to replace older machines at some point
anyway.  2) You won't have to replace all your machines.  Boxes with
PPC and with Intel will both run just fine side by side.  They will
still all be Macs.  They will still all be OS X.

EVERY big change Apple has made including introducing the iMac, the
iPod and the mini have prompted people to spread gloom and doom for
Apple.  LOL.

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:55 PM, Eric Browning wrote:

> I beg to differ, when you have 430+ macs to manage and you have to
> replace them all (including servers) with an average price of $1300
> you're looking at $600,000 (in 2 years) to make a switch which is
> cost prohibitive and a pain in the neck you'd be hating this news
> too.  This means we can't be spending money on new servers that we
> need because they are basically obselete before we buy them because
> of the now known transition to Inhell, scuse me, Intel chips.
>
> Hell as frozen over
>
> Here's what I'm predicting.  It'll be a matter of months before
> hackers make OS X run on other x86 hardware, this will detract from
> hardware sales for Apple and cause financial ruin for our favorite
> forbidden fruit of a company.
>
> I hope Omnipilot downloads Xcode 2.1 and starts making lasso
> compatible with this mess of an idea.
> --
> Eric Browning
>

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

>>> I feel all kind of queasy inside, I think I need to go and lay
>>> down...
>>>

>> The processor is not very relevant. At one time PPC had an edge.
>> For lots of reasons, it's gone. Too bad, considering IBM invented
>> many of the critical technologies that enabled sub-250nm processes.
>>
>> What makes OS X good is OS X, not PPC. IBM was never a fan of
>> Altivec anyway.
>>
>> If I had a heart transplant would love me less :-(  I swear, I'd
>> still look the same and behave the same. I could just climb stairs
>> faster is all.
>>
>> This is a good thing whose time has come.
>>
>> -- gw

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

R. Stephen Gracey
Oh, that it might make a difference to the OS...! Then I'd be able to find
and fix things on my Mac server...

Stephen
(Windows XP Prof)

R. Stephen Gracey
Bishop's Assistant for Information Strategy
Episcopal Diocese of Ohio

[hidden email]

http://www.dohio.org

Trinity Commons
2230 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115

Direct:   (216) 774-0454

Diocesan: (216) 771-4815
In Ohio:  (800) 551-4815

On 6 Jun 2005, at 21:08, Mark Palmer wrote:

> Plus an existing PC user can
> join the party by buying a Mac that runs OSX *AND* Windows - if I
> read this
> correctly.

Don't count on it - who said that!? I've just read some "stuff", and
these "Macs" are going to be custom built - I really doubt that X
will run on general PCs, and these Apple's may not run Windows either.

-- Clive

On 6 Jun 2005, at 21:14, Thomas Waters wrote:

> I have been laughing all afternoon at the drama.  A Mac will still
> be a Mac and the OS still OS X.  It will just have a different chip
> in there.

Er, remember 1994? This will be 10 times worse.

-- Clive

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Cristian Cerda
True, but will you buy a Mac, that is more expensive, to run the same
software?

quote me on this... Apple will end up being a software only company.

Cristian

On 6 Jun 2005, at 21:18, Thomas Waters wrote:

> Get a grip.  You 1) have to replace older machines at some point
> anyway.  2) You won't have to replace all your machines.  Boxes
> with PPC and with Intel will both run just fine side by side.  They
> will still all be Macs.  They will still all be OS X.

Ok, so, how long do you think developers are going to go to the
trouble of creating "Universal Binaries"?

-- Clive

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Chris Tracewell
Exactly, the only difference will be the CPU - you'll still have to
buy an Apple box. I have been a Mac user since the 128k in 1984 and I
am happy. The PPC promise never materialized as promised in 1994 -
that it would outpace Intel in years to come. In addition IBM has
divided interests and no matter how hard you bark the PPC has been
stagnant as of late and just isn't keeping up. This is another good
evolution for Mac users.

As for transitioning servers, clients etc. in a large workgroup
environment - yeah it will take some planning, but honestly I think
the transition will be less painful than from OS 9 to OS X. G5
technology will continue forward and will continue to support OS X
for some time. I am sure you won't have a gun to your head forcing
you to switch all of your boxes at once. In the same way we will
definitely see a very long transition period for apps where both PPC
and Intel app compiles will be available.

I am thankful that Apple is making the jump, it puts an end to the
endless megahertz bickering and ensures Apple will have a company
committed to producing and supplying processors for their Mac line-
up, as it was, Apple's consumer PPC chips were just a drop in the
bucket for IBM in comparison to their total revenue. Intel HAS to
make faster and faster CPU's cause thats the only way they see sales.
IBM is primarily a service company and even in their chip
manufacturing business they had a lot of other interests that made
consumer desktop CPU production a side business. Most of IBM's chips
go into other devices that don't necessarily benefit the development
of OS X boxes.

This is a good day.

The new slogan for Mac users will be Intel != Windows.

Chris Tracewell
[hidden email]
Sports Merchandise College, MLB, NASCAR, NBA, NFL, NHL
http://www.teammascot.com

On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Thomas Waters wrote:

> Uh.. you won't be able to run OS X on anything but an Apple box.
>
> I have been laughing all afternoon at the drama.  A Mac will still
> be a Mac and the OS still OS X.  It will just have a different chip
> in there.  It doesn't become a Winbox just because it has a
> different chip.  LOL

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Mark Palmer
Apparently Phil Schiller said that they won't support Windows on Apple
hardware, but they won't prevent it. He also said

on 6/6/05 21:21, Clive Bruton at [hidden email] wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2005, at 21:08, Mark Palmer wrote:
>
>> Plus an existing PC user can
>> join the party by buying a Mac that runs OSX *AND* Windows - if I
>> read this
>> correctly.
>
> Don't count on it - who said that!? I've just read some "stuff", and
> these "Macs" are going to be custom built - I really doubt that X
> will run on general PCs, and these Apple's may not run Windows either.
>

> -- Clive

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Mark Palmer
What do you guys at OP make of today's announcements?

on 6/6/05 21:24, Clive Bruton at [hidden email] wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2005, at 21:18, Thomas Waters wrote:
>
>> Get a grip.  You 1) have to replace older machines at some point
>> anyway.  2) You won't have to replace all your machines.  Boxes
>> with PPC and with Intel will both run just fine side by side.  They
>> will still all be Macs.  They will still all be OS X.
>
> Ok, so, how long do you think developers are going to go to the
> trouble of creating "Universal Binaries"?
>

> -- Clive

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Paul Melia
My take is that it is a transition that will pay off big down the
road but will come at a cost for all.

Advantage
- faster portable computers with better power management
- potential but not guaranteed cost reduction
- access to future Intel technology such as Pentium D (DRM on a
chip), etc
- potentially less confusion in comparison between Windows and Mac OS
machines on hardware

Even
- swifter processor cycles (things have been quiet lately but history
says that Intel updates more often) but this makes purchase decisions
more fluid.
- existing users will need to transition cpus to new platform - by
the time the machines are out (in 2 years) most current cpus will be
ready for replacement

Disadvantage
- transitioned users will eventually need to upgrade software as
legacy platform/OS support is dropped
- burden on developers to support legacy/transition/new OS versions
of programs, especially those that rely on resource-specific assets
(altivec, 64-bit, etc)

Overall

- positive for Apple.
Removes consumer confusion about clock speed. DRM on chip sets path
for iTunes Video system. Intel has an established production ability
and a processor structure (Pentiums = Pro user, Centrino = General
user) that will simplify Apple's CPU vendor issues.

I am sure there is more but as far I as am concerned it is the same
as the transition from 68K Macs to PowerPC. I will hold off on
elective upgrades and the value of my legacy equipment is certain to
drop as the new machines appear.

My two cents, FWIW,
Paul

On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:14 PM, Thomas Waters wrote:

> Uh.. you won't be able to run OS X on anything but an Apple box.
>
> I have been laughing all afternoon at the drama.  A Mac will still
> be a Mac and the OS still OS X.  It will just have a different chip
> in there.  It doesn't become a Winbox just because it has a
> different chip.  LOL

Re: [OT] Rumors of Mac Switch to Intel Real

Thomas Waters
There is a chance that they will, but I kinda doubt it.  Steve loves
toys and gadgets and stuff WAAAYYY to much.  There is nothing in this
announcement to suggest a departure from Hardware sales.  What seems
more possible- but not by much, would be a step back into OS
licensing, like in the old Power Computing days!!!  Remember when the
very best and fastest Mac you could buy was a clone?

You are operating under the assumption that by definition a Mac is
more expensive than a Wintel box, and that really isn't so clearly
true as all that.  Secondly, it was reported that at least part of
the reason for this change is that Steve wanted bigger price
discounts on the PPC and couldn't get them.  There is some reason to
think that we will see Mac prices go down.

Apple has been a odd company to try and really figure out.  In a way,
it is all the same- it is about the user experience- as represented
in the look and the feel of both what is on the inside of the box and
on the outside of it.  The whole of it- the zen of the Mac.  LOL.

According to Apple, they will only allow their OS to run on their
boxes.  Much of the OS is based on open source now.  That isn't going
to change.

I think it is interesting to consider what it would mean if Apple was
out of the hardware business.  Would I really be such a snob about
only working on a Mac, and seeing Wintel boxes as ugly if the OS- my
desktop user experience was the same on both?  I dunno.  Oh, actually
I do.  I love the Apple look.  Yea, I'll still by a Mac even if there
were a cheaper uglier box available.  Just as I buy more expensive
designer clothes than be seen in overalls purchased at Walmart.

But let's look at a much brighter scenario- M$ will be using the PPC
in the Xbox, and Apple using Intel chips.  Maybe M$ will get out of
the OS business and take over the game industry, and allow a really
great OS to finally come to broader use.....