[OT] Pure HTML "includes"

Marc Pinnell-3
Having "grown up" with Lasso and HTML hand-in-hand, I have never
really given any thought to pages that can't use lasso includes and
such. I am staring a project that will be pure html and hosted
elsewhere (no lasso :-( ). Most of the stuff isn't bad and is pretty
straight forward, except the menu. The menu's they need/want are drop
down menus. No problem their, but I started thinking about having to
put all that code on EVERY page and just cringe. So, does anyone have
any advice for doing some type of include for menus so that I can put
them in their own file and pull as needed? I considered doing some
type of js with a bunch of document.write statements, but that doesn't
seem very user friendly going forward. XML? JSON?

Thanx

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [OT] Pure HTML "includes"

CoMedia
Marc Pinnell-3 wrote
Having "grown up" with Lasso and HTML hand-in-hand, I have never
really given any thought to pages that can't use lasso includes and
such. I am staring a project that will be pure html and hosted
elsewhere (no lasso :-( ). Most of the stuff isn't bad and is pretty
straight forward, except the menu. The menu's they need/want are drop
down menus. No problem their, but I started thinking about having to
put all that code on EVERY page and just cringe. So, does anyone have
any advice for doing some type of include for menus so that I can put
them in their own file and pull as needed? I considered doing some
type of js with a bunch of document.write statements, but that doesn't
seem very user friendly going forward. XML? JSON?
Hi Marc,

I think what you are looking for is something called 'server side includes' (ssi), supported by most web servers, including Apache.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/ssi.html

-- Alfred

Re: [OT] Pure HTML "includes"

Kevin Bice
You can always use server side includes. Old school, but it does work
for this sort of thing.
Kevin Bice
512-879-1653
http://fmpweb.com
Web Development and Design

On Feb 10, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Having "grown up" with Lasso and HTML hand-in-hand, I have never
> really given any thought to pages that can't use lasso includes and
> such. I am staring a project that will be pure html and hosted
> elsewhere (no lasso :-( ). Most of the stuff isn't bad and is
> pretty straight forward, except the menu. The menu's they need/want
> are drop down menus. No problem their, but I started thinking about
> having to put all that code on EVERY page and just cringe. So, does
> anyone have any advice for doing some type of include for menus so
> that I can put them in their own file and pull as needed? I
> considered doing some type of js with a bunch of document.write
> statements, but that doesn't seem very user friendly going forward.
> XML? JSON?
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>

> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <lasso-
> [hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <lasso-
> [hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [OT] Pure HTML "includes"

Gary Clark-2
Also, watch out for the indexing of JS/XML built navigation. It may
not be the best approach for search engines.

Gary

On 10 Feb 2009, at 15:32, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Having "grown up" with Lasso and HTML hand-in-hand, I have never
> really given any thought to pages that can't use lasso includes and
> such. I am staring a project that will be pure html and hosted
> elsewhere (no lasso :-( ). Most of the stuff isn't bad and is pretty
> straight forward, except the menu. The menu's they need/want are
> drop down menus. No problem their, but I started thinking about
> having to put all that code on EVERY page and just cringe. So, does
> anyone have any advice for doing some type of include for menus so
> that I can put them in their own file and pull as needed? I
> considered doing some type of js with a bunch of document.write
> statements, but that doesn't seem very user friendly going forward.
> XML? JSON?
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>

> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]
> >
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [OT] Pure HTML "includes"

berbercarpet-2
you ought to be able to do an SSI, as has been mentioned.

ill add to that that you can do many of the tricks for styling with
javascript that you probably already use lasso for, such as applying
classs names, highlighting "current" and so forth.

the would allow to keep 1 file, and still style it well.