[OT] MySQL and "host"

Roddie Grant
In light of recent discussion on this list about security and privileges,
I've been looking at making better use of MySQL privileges.

I think I know what is going on, but I want to check!

The database is on our co-lo (c4.anu.net), and I have a fixed IP (like
123.123.123.123) with our broadband internet access.

I can set up a very restricted access in the GRANT statement by replacing
"Username@Hostname" with (for example) "roddie@123.123.123.123". In this
case "Hostname" is not the server hosting MySQL (c4.anu.net), but where I'm
accessing it from. This _feels_ more like "Client" than "Host".

OTOH, when I use CocoaMySQL to access the database it asks for Host; this
time it is "c4.anu.net" because it needs to know on which server to look for
the database.

However, the titlebar of CocoaMySQL displays "[hidden email]" which I
reckon is incorrect - it should display "roddie@123.123.123.123". There is
no user "roddie" at "c4.anu.net".

Am I right, or confused :-/

Roddie Grant

Re: [OT] MySQL and "host"

Greg Willits
On Jun 6, 2005, at 8:06 AM, Roddie Grant wrote:

> In light of recent discussion on this list about security and
> privileges,
> I've been looking at making better use of MySQL privileges.
>
> I think I know what is going on, but I want to check!
>
> The database is on our co-lo (c4.anu.net), and I have a fixed IP (like
> 123.123.123.123) with our broadband internet access.
>
> I can set up a very restricted access in the GRANT statement by
> replacing
> "Username@Hostname" with (for example) "roddie@123.123.123.123". In
> this
> case "Hostname" is not the server hosting MySQL (c4.anu.net), but
> where I'm
> accessing it from. This _feels_ more like "Client" than "Host".
>
> OTOH, when I use CocoaMySQL to access the database it asks for Host;
> this
> time it is "c4.anu.net" because it needs to know on which server to
> look for
> the database.
>
> However, the titlebar of CocoaMySQL displays "[hidden email]" which
> reckon is incorrect - it should display "roddie@123.123.123.123".
> There is
> no user "roddie" at "c4.anu.net".
>
> Am I right, or confused :-/

CocoaMySQL is right, or at least, it behaves the way I want it to. If
you have access to three db servers, you'd want them to show up as
[hidden email], [hidden email], and [hidden email] in the
CocoMySQL windows so you can tell them apart.

I would say the use of the words "Client" and "Server" are fixed
references, but "host" seems to depend on perspective. When
establishing connections, it seems the "other" system is the "host,"
which can get confusing at times. Reading some material is like reading
a teenage girl's gossip story with too many he said / she said
references. After too many hosts, it's easy to lose track :-)

-- gw

Re: [OT] MySQL and "host"

Roddie Grant
on 6/6/05 17:07, Greg Willits at [hidden email] wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 8:06 AM, Roddie Grant wrote:
>
>> In light of recent discussion on this list about security and
>> privileges,
>> I've been looking at making better use of MySQL privileges.
>>
>> I think I know what is going on, but I want to check!
>>
>> The database is on our co-lo (c4.anu.net), and I have a fixed IP (like
>> 123.123.123.123) with our broadband internet access.
>>
>> I can set up a very restricted access in the GRANT statement by
>> replacing
>> "Username@Hostname" with (for example) "roddie@123.123.123.123". In
>> this
>> case "Hostname" is not the server hosting MySQL (c4.anu.net), but
>> where I'm
>> accessing it from. This _feels_ more like "Client" than "Host".
>>
>> OTOH, when I use CocoaMySQL to access the database it asks for Host;
>> this
>> time it is "c4.anu.net" because it needs to know on which server to
>> look for
>> the database.
>>
>> However, the titlebar of CocoaMySQL displays "[hidden email]" which
>> reckon is incorrect - it should display "roddie@123.123.123.123".
>> There is
>> no user "roddie" at "c4.anu.net".
>>
>> Am I right, or confused :-/
>
> CocoaMySQL is right, or at least, it behaves the way I want it to. If
> you have access to three db servers, you'd want them to show up as
> [hidden email], [hidden email], and [hidden email] in the
> CocoMySQL windows so you can tell them apart.
>
> I would say the use of the words "Client" and "Server" are fixed
> references, but "host" seems to depend on perspective. When
> establishing connections, it seems the "other" system is the "host,"
> which can get confusing at times. Reading some material is like reading
> a teenage girl's gossip story with too many he said / she said
> references. After too many hosts, it's easy to lose track :-)
>
> -- gw

Ahh, right. It's the @ that's the problem for me. "roddie -> c4.anu.net" or
similar would look less like the user@host syntax.

At least we now know what you like reading apart from code ;-)

Thanks for the explanation.

Roddie

Re: [OT] MySQL and "host"

Greg Willits
>> CocoaMySQL is right, or at least, it behaves the way I want it to. If
>> you have access to three db servers, you'd want them to show up as
>> [hidden email], [hidden email], and [hidden email] in the
>> CocoMySQL windows so you can tell them apart.
>>
>> I would say the use of the words "Client" and "Server" are fixed
>> references, but "host" seems to depend on perspective. When
>> establishing connections, it seems the "other" system is the "host,"
>> which can get confusing at times. Reading some material is like
>> reading
>> a teenage girl's gossip story with too many he said / she said
>> references. After too many hosts, it's easy to lose track :-)
>>
>> -- gw
>
> Ahh, right. It's the @ that's the problem for me. "roddie ->
> c4.anu.net" or
> similar would look less like the user@host syntax.
>
> At least we now know what you like reading apart from code ;-)

hahahahaha -- well, I haven't actually _read_ any since I was a
teenager myself. Maybe I should have said watching a teenager on a
sitcom, but dang haven't done that for a while either. I shoulda found
another analogy :-)

-- gw