[OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Marc Pinnell-3
The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned mail.
None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it originate
from my server). I have also checked my settings and tested for open
relays on my servers using online tools. Someone out there is using
my return address on their spam. What's the best way to track and /
or deal with this stuff? Am I in danger of being blacklisted because
of this?

Thanx

Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Johan Solve
2005/8/31, Marc Pinnell <[hidden email]>:
> The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned mail.
> None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it originate
> from my server).

There's really not much you can do about this. Forging a sender
address is easy to do and it's very difficult for you to track who the
offender is since you don't see the message that caused the bounce.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Adam Randall
Happening to my domain as well. I generally get around 5k - 8k per day.

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned
> mail. None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it
> originate from my server). I have also checked my settings and
> tested for open relays on my servers using online tools. Someone
> out there is using my return address on their spam. What's the best
> way to track and / or deal with this stuff? Am I in danger of being
> blacklisted because of this?
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Consulting
> web << DESIGN >> print
> PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
> www.1027Consulting.com

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Marc Pinnell-3
Don't take this the wrong way, but good. I'd hate to be the only
lucky one!! Do you know if this puts us at any danger of being
blacklisted?

Marc

On Aug 31, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Adam Randall wrote:

> Happening to my domain as well. I generally get around 5k - 8k per
> day.
>
> Adam.
>
> --
> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
> Quality Assurance / Support
> OmniPilot Software, Inc.
> http://www.omnipilot.com/
> (954) 874-3100
> AIM/iChat: adamomni
>

> On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>

>> The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned
>> mail. None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it
>> originate from my server). I have also checked my settings and
>> tested for open relays on my servers using online tools. Someone
>> out there is using my return address on their spam. What's the
>> best way to track and / or deal with this stuff? Am I in danger of
>> being blacklisted because of this?
>>
>> Thanx
>> Marc
>>
>> --
>> Marc Pinnell
>> 1027 Consulting
>> web << DESIGN >> print
>> PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
>> www.1027Consulting.com

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Adam Randall
Probably :/

What really irks me is that the mailer that who ever is doing it to
me is using Apple's Mail application >:(

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Aug 31, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Don't take this the wrong way, but good. I'd hate to be the only
> lucky one!! Do you know if this puts us at any danger of being
> blacklisted?
>
> Marc
>
> On Aug 31, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Adam Randall wrote:
>

>> Happening to my domain as well. I generally get around 5k - 8k per
>> day.
>>
>> Adam.
>>
>> --
>> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
>> Quality Assurance / Support
>> OmniPilot Software, Inc.
>> http://www.omnipilot.com/
>> (954) 874-3100
>> AIM/iChat: adamomni
>>

>> On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>>

>>> The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned
>>> mail. None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it
>>> originate from my server). I have also checked my settings and
>>> tested for open relays on my servers using online tools. Someone
>>> out there is using my return address on their spam. What's the
>>> best way to track and / or deal with this stuff? Am I in danger
>>> of being blacklisted because of this?
>>>
>>> Thanx
>>> Marc
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marc Pinnell
>>> 1027 Consulting
>>> web << DESIGN >> print
>>> PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
>>> www.1027Consulting.com
>>>

>>> --
>>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>>

> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Consulting
> web << DESIGN >> print
> PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
> www.1027Consulting.com

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Lee Glickenhaus
on 8/31/05 4:33 PM, Johan Solve wrote:

>> The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned mail.
>> None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it originate
>> from my server).

Me too.

All of a sudden, I'm  drowning it it.

aaarrghhhhh

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

Marc Vos-3

I get these too, although not as many anymore. And I still believe that
these are not 'returned' mails, but look-a-likes. I once went to such a site
linked in the 'returned' mail and it was not a normal business site.

I tested with my brother how you can send mail without revealing yourself.
And he sent me mail, with his own mailserver, supposedly coming from me to
me. When I viewed the source, the mail came from me. But it didn't and you
really can't tell where it came from.

This also the way I send notification mails with Lasso from our 'To-Do'-list
Lasso-application. Of course it is clear that I am the originator when you
look in the source. But from the outside it looks as if B has sent it to C,
but no, it was me.

-Marc Vos

On 01-09-2005 04:58, "Lee Glickenhaus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on 8/31/05 4:33 PM, Johan Solve wrote:
>
>>> The last week or so I am being slammed with a "ton" of returned mail.
>>> None of which originally came from me of course (nor did it originate
>>> from my server).
>
> Me too.
>
> All of a sudden, I'm  drowning it it.
>
> aaarrghhhhh

Re: [OT] Mailbox full of "Returned Mail"

More information about reading mail headers than you could ever possibly want to know:
<http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html>

--steve

On Thursday, September 1, 2005, [hidden email] (Marc Vos) pronounced:

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>