[OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Marc Pinnell-3
Hey all,

Been thinking about my current setup and wondering if it is time to
reevaluate it. Currently working with a MacPro desktop with 2x22"
LCDs. When I go on the road it is a pain to try and move stuff to my
old G4 PowerBook (not to mention the software issues of intel vs
powerPC). So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going to
a new MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and ditching the
MacPro. My work mix is almost entirely web now with maybe 10% still
print work. I'd miss the 9gb of RAM, but would the trade off of
portability be worth it?

Anyone willing to share their experiences? Are you using laptop or
desktop at this point? Is the speed tradeoff worth the portability?

Thanx

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Steven Evans
Good morning, Marc!

When the MBP came out, I finally made the jump to a laptop as my sole
means of work.....especially since I travel often.  All in all, it is
has been a great experience.  I do a fair amount of CAD work with
Vectorworks and a the rest is web design and it all works fine.  There
is a bit of a performance lag as compared to my MacPro, but the
convenience is well worth it.

The only issue I have is a minor issue with connecting my MBP to my
30" external display....it REALLY makes the MBP work hard.  It works
fine with my 23" display in the office, but that 30" monitor keeps the
MBP cranking hard every second it is plugged in.

Just my two cents....

sqe

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Been thinking about my current setup and wondering if it is time to
> reevaluate it. Currently working with a MacPro desktop with 2x22"
> LCDs. When I go on the road it is a pain to try and move stuff to my
> old G4 PowerBook (not to mention the software issues of intel vs
> powerPC). So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going
> to a new MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and
> ditching the MacPro. My work mix is almost entirely web now with
> maybe 10% still print work. I'd miss the 9gb of RAM, but would the
> trade off of portability be worth it?
>
> Anyone willing to share their experiences? Are you using laptop or
> desktop at this point? Is the speed tradeoff worth the portability?
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

Steven Q. Evans
Director of Technological Resources
MSI Production Services
http://www.msiprod.com
(858)348-0629 • Mobile (858)344-3351 • (707)215-1032 Fax • [hidden email]

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

dguardiola

Le 19 août 08 à 17:27, Marc Pinnell a écrit :

> So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going to a new
> MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and ditching the
> MacPro.

that's just what i've done, bought a refurbished 2,2Ghz macbook pro :
i can work at home and get back to my 22 screen at the office when i'm
tired of his 15' screen
just plug a decent keyboard and the VGA/DIV adapter, and i'm set in 10
seconds, still using the macbook screen for mail or another window
I think you can upgrade until 4 Go of RAM, this should be sufficient
for a dev machine

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

N Lamb
Marc,

I have been working on a Mac Laptop solely for over 3 years with a 20"
LCD and just recently upgraded to a MBP 2.6 core 2 duo with 4GB of ram
from my old machine (a PB G4).  I have the 17" version and run Adium,
Mail and itunes on the laptop screen and use the Larger LCD for most
everything else...  I have no complaints with this setup at all, it is
very fast and it is nice to pickup and go if need be and have
everything with me...

I have never worked on a desktop mac much at all so I cannot speak
about any performance loss...

Just my 2 cents...

Nathan Lamb
EPC ~ Web Developer

On Aug 19, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Been thinking about my current setup and wondering if it is time to
> reevaluate it. Currently working with a MacPro desktop with 2x22"
> LCDs. When I go on the road it is a pain to try and move stuff to my
> old G4 PowerBook (not to mention the software issues of intel vs
> powerPC). So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going
> to a new MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and
> ditching the MacPro. My work mix is almost entirely web now with
> maybe 10% still print work. I'd miss the 9gb of RAM, but would the
> trade off of portability be worth it?
>
> Anyone willing to share their experiences? Are you using laptop or
> desktop at this point? Is the speed tradeoff worth the portability?
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

maxwellk2
Have to echo the comments from Steve, Dominique, and Nathan. I've been
running 17" PowerBooks and now Mac Book Pros as my primary machine for
as long as I can remember, with a refresh every 2-3 years. Been doing
web, database, and print work without any issues. The only associate I
know who still uses a Mac desktop does hardcore audio and video
processing.

Make sure you cram in the fastest RPM drive available, I generally
find that to be the worst bottleneck in laptop performance.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Been thinking about my current setup and wondering if it is time to
> reevaluate it. Currently working with a MacPro desktop with 2x22"
> LCDs. When I go on the road it is a pain to try and move stuff to my
> old G4 PowerBook (not to mention the software issues of intel vs
> powerPC). So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going
> to a new MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and
> ditching the MacPro. My work mix is almost entirely web now with
> maybe 10% still print work. I'd miss the 9gb of RAM, but would the
> trade off of portability be worth it?
>
> Anyone willing to share their experiences? Are you using laptop or
> desktop at this point? Is the speed tradeoff worth the portability?
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

berbercarpet

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> I generally find that to be the worst bottleneck in laptop
> performance.

for sure

let me throw my 2¢ in on the macbook as well -- i have been using a
portable as my main dev computer since, starting with a G3 iBook, for
a long time now, and i'd never even consider going back to a desktop.

the ability to get up out of the house (or office) and go work in
public is essential to keeping my sanity, and productivity levels up

i have a measly 17" monitor and the little white macbook, and i do
just fine with web dev stuff.
  - chris

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Simon Forster

On 19 Aug 2008, at 16:27, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Been thinking about my current setup and wondering if it is time to
> reevaluate it. Currently working with a MacPro desktop with 2x22"
> LCDs. When I go on the road it is a pain to try and move stuff to my
> old G4 PowerBook (not to mention the software issues of intel vs
> powerPC). So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going
> to a new MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and
> ditching the MacPro

My primary machine has been a laptop for years now as I've tended to
be semi-nomadic in my work life. Basically, I have an office but
frequently I'll work in the living room at night being semi-sociable.
Also, client meetings, trips abroad, the odd co-lo visit, yadda,
yadda. All too boring with a static machine.

Current setup is a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core Duo, 4GB RAM with 2
external 19" LCD displays (as well as the built in 15.4") - obviously
at my desk in the office. Having finished with Photoshop and
Dreamweaver for the night, I've only got Stickies, Skype, Omniweb,
Mail, AddressBook, iCal, BBEdit, iTunes, Word, System Prefs (why??)
and VMware Fusion running Ubuntu. I have 1.3GB of RAM _free_ (with a
further 245MB Inactive). CPU load is less than 20%.

Also, I'm using a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard and wireless mouse. Got
a Plantronics USB headset for Skype. There are speakers too (iTunes).

Biggest bugbear - machine slows down if I move between locations too
frequently without restarting. MacOS has struggled for some time with
frequent additions / subtractions of external displays and 10.5 is no
exception.

And I'm running 2 x 19" displays off a laptop using a Matrox
DualHead2Go. Fools the laptop into thinking its got one 1440 x 900
display attached. Very neat piece of kit for circa GBP100. At them
moment I'm tending to run Ubuntu in full screen mode on the laptop
screen with the 19" monitors doing the Mac stuff - but that'll change.

Static desktop machines are boring. Get a life, get a laptop. (Or
should that be, lose a life, get a laptop?)

}:-\

Simon Forster

   LDML Ltd
   t: +44 20 7993 8813
   m: +44 79 0528 8198

   "My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows
enough about what's really going on to be scared."
   P. J. Plauger, Computer Language, March 1983

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Doug Gentry
I'm a "me, too" - but with a word of caution ...

As fond as I am of my MacBook, its portability means I'm risking
physical harm to it when I lug it around to school or up here in the
Adirondacks on holiday. And I'm pretty good about using Time Machine
when I have it on my desk, and even a little portable Firewire drive
with SuperDuper when on the road.  However, the odds of something
going wrong with the hardware seem higher with my laptop. To me, that
means making sure I have a backup hardware solution (not just a backup
of my disk) that I can switch to easily if the laptop needs to go into
the hospital.  And in fact this happened about 2 months ago - hard
drive failed. No problem with the backed up files and I was under both
the standard 1 year warranty and the Apple Care plan, but I still had
to give up my baby for 4 days. I limped along with an older generation
Mini and the backed up FW drive, but it was painful.

...Doug

On Aug 19, 2008, at 3:15 PM, chris corwin wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>
>> I generally find that to be the worst bottleneck in laptop
>> performance.
>
> for sure
>

> let me throw my 2¢ in on the macbook as well -- i have been using a
> portable as my main dev computer since, starting with a G3 iBook,
> for a long time now, and i'd never even consider going back to a
> desktop.
>
> the ability to get up out of the house (or office) and go work in
> public is essential to keeping my sanity, and productivity levels up
>
> i have a measly 17" monitor and the little white macbook, and i do
> just fine with web dev stuff.
> - chris

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

I ditched the desktop about 4 years ago and have never looked back.  Portability was key.

I will say that the new Mac Pros are screaming fast with max RAM and fast RPM hard drives.  I have slight envy when I visit my client with their dual 24" monitors.  They run a large 8' wide printer in their garage from their den, sending print jobs from the second Ethernet port, while the RIP software runs in Windows XP Pro in VMWare on the Mac Pro.  It cuts through it like buttah.

If you don't have that kind of need for massive power, then go with a MBP.  I prefer 15" for size and weight.  My 17" PB is too big and heavy.  All MBPs supports monitors up to 30".  I have a refurb Dell monitor without all the bells and whistles using DVI.  You might want the fancy-pants model for color precision.  Back to the MBP, max the RAM, and use a high-speed RPM HD.  You can install these items yourself in about an hour.  I buy these items through trusted vendors, scanning the deals through dealram.com and dealmac.com.  I recommed refurbished MBPs from Apple, which have the exact same warranty as new MBPs, but cost 15-30% less.

A couple of other minor points.  Laptops have their own built in power supply and will continue to work during a power failure without the use of a UPS.  They also consume a *lot* less power than a MacPro, which you might notice in slightly lower electricity bills.

For backup, I have two MBPs, each with their own external HD.  One MBP is for work, and the other is for a testing web server/home entertainment center.  If work MBP fails, I take the external FW HD and boot the backup MBP off of that.  Make sure you get FW HD, as Macs cannot (at my last check) boot from USB external drives.

--steve

On Tuesday, August 19, 2008, [hidden email] (Marc Pinnell) pronounced:

>Hey all,
>
>Been thinking about my current setup and wondering if it is time to
>reevaluate it. Currently working with a MacPro desktop with 2x22"
>LCDs. When I go on the road it is a pain to try and move stuff to my
>old G4 PowerBook (not to mention the software issues of intel vs
>powerPC). So, I have been wondering if I might be better off going to
>a new MacBook (utilizing one of the 22's and a dock?) and ditching the
>MacPro. My work mix is almost entirely web now with maybe 10% still
>print work. I'd miss the 9gb of RAM, but would the trade off of
>portability be worth it?
>
>Anyone willing to share their experiences? Are you using laptop or
>desktop at this point? Is the speed tradeoff worth the portability?
>
>Thanx
>Marc
>
>--
>Marc Pinnell
>1027 Design
>PO Box 990872
>Redding, CA 96099-0872
>530.941.4706
>fax: 866.232.5300
>www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Cory Robin-3
Unexpectedly, this thread has come in quite handy since I'm evaluating
the needs to upgrade two of my employees setup.

One employee travels about 4 days a week and a mac pro is really the
only option.

The other however, currently develops on his mac book pro.   Perhaps a
nice new monitor and a memory/hdd upgrade for him might be the way to
go.

Cory.

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Jolle Carlestam-2

20 aug 2008 kl. 07.24 skrev Cory:

> One employee travels about 4 days a week and a mac pro is really the
> only option.

Since he travels four days a week he need a Mac Pro? Isn't that hard
to carry around? Or does he have a huge cart he can put it on?

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

stevepiercy
On Wednesday, August 20, 2008, [hidden email] (Jolle Carlestam) pronounced:

>20 aug 2008 kl. 07.24 skrev Cory:
>
>> One employee travels about 4 days a week and a mac pro is really the
>> only option.
>
>Since he travels four days a week he need a Mac Pro? Isn't that hard
>to carry around? Or does he have a huge cart he can put it on?

Apple just released the Mac Pro Hover.  It floats on a cushion of air as a result of the exhaust fans to cool off the internal components.  It gets lousy mileage, though, and only seats one.

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Jolle Carlestam-2
20 aug 2008 kl. 08.47 skrev Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder:

> On Wednesday, August 20, 2008, [hidden email] (Jolle Carlestam)
> pronounced:
>

>> 20 aug 2008 kl. 07.24 skrev Cory:
>>
>>> One employee travels about 4 days a week and a mac pro is really the
>>> only option.
>>
>> Since he travels four days a week he need a Mac Pro? Isn't that hard
>> to carry around? Or does he have a huge cart he can put it on?
>
> Apple just released the Mac Pro Hover.  It floats on a cushion of
> air as a result of the exhaust fans to cool off the internal
> components.  It gets lousy mileage, though, and only seats one.

I want me one of those. Speaking of fans, my fourteen year old son
came into the editing room one day, a rather small room. There where
three people in it together with a Mac Pro and a lot of external RAID
cabinets. It was really hot so he mimicked a commercial saying. "We
never have to turn on the heating anymore now that we got our new Mac
Pro." Everybody laughed!

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Brian Loomis-3
Also on this note, if you run parallels or VMWare I have found it
works a lot better for me to have that on an external drive.  I use
one with FireWire.

For video, I created a leopard install that was on an external drive
that I can boot off of this fixed the problem with iMovie and
"needing" a local drive's free space to import.

Brian

On Aug 19, 2008, at 1:15 PM, chris corwin wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>
>> I generally find that to be the worst bottleneck in laptop
>> performance.
>
> for sure
>

> let me throw my 2¢ in on the macbook as well -- i have been using a
> portable as my main dev computer since, starting with a G3 iBook,
> for a long time now, and i'd never even consider going back to a
> desktop.
>
> the ability to get up out of the house (or office) and go work in
> public is essential to keeping my sanity, and productivity levels up
>
> i have a measly 17" monitor and the little white macbook, and i do
> just fine with web dev stuff.
> - chris

Brian Loomis
http://www.virtualrelations.us
(208) 639-2569 - 208 NEW BLOX

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Brian Loomis-3
This is very true.  When traveling  I sport two Powerbooks, the old
and the new, when I go so I always have a backup.  I usually upgrade
every two years, and buy the refurbs when a model hits 30% off of it's
retail value.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> As fond as I am of my MacBook, its portability means I'm risking
> physical harm to it when I lug it around to school or up here in the
> Adirondacks on holiday. And I'm pretty good about using Time Machine
> when I have it on my desk, and even a little portable Firewire drive
> with SuperDuper when on the road. However, the odds of something
> going wrong with the hardware seem higher with my laptop. To me,
> that means making sure I have a backup hardware solution (not just a
> backup of my disk) that I can switch to easily if the laptop needs
> to go into the hospital.  And in fact this happened about 2 months
> ago - hard drive failed. No problem with the backed up files and I
> was under both the standard 1 year warranty and the Apple Care plan,
> but I still had to give up my baby for 4 days. I limped along with
> an older generation Mini and the backed up FW drive, but it was
> painful.

Brian Loomis
http://www.virtualrelations.us
(208) 639-2569 - 208 NEW BLOX

Re: [OT] Laptop or Desktop?

Cory Robin-3
LOL!  Typo!   He will be getting a Mac BOOK Pro  hehehe..  LMAO  - Hover