[OT] Image zoom on hover

Marc Pinnell-3
Wondering if anyone has successfully implemented something like this?

http://www.sohtanaka.com/web-design/examples/image-zoom/

I am trying to get it working on a new site and struggling to get the effect I want - probably because this was more a proof of concept than a finished product. Anyone know of any GOOD jQuery out there that works along these lines? I found one other called "fancy hover" but it didn't work right either.

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

decorior
Hi, Marc:

This probably does not help you, but you could look at the source.

One of the great things about RapidWeaver is that this has already
been figured out.

http://www.jonasthemes.com/preview/zoom/

Deco
On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has successfully implemented something like this?
>
> http://www.sohtanaka.com/web-design/examples/image-zoom/
>
> I am trying to get it working on a new site and struggling to get
> the effect I want - probably because this was more a proof of
> concept than a finished product. Anyone know of any GOOD jQuery out
> there that works along these lines? I found one other called "fancy
> hover" but it didn't work right either.
>
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

JP-14
This is in the source of that bug image site Marc linked

<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function(){

//Larger thumbnail preview

$("ul.thumb li").hover(function() {
        $(this).css({'z-index' : '10'});
        $(this).find('img').addClass("hover").stop()
                .animate({
                        marginTop: '-110px',
                        marginLeft: '-110px',
                        top: '50%',
                        left: '50%',
                        width: '174px',
                        height: '174px',
                        padding: '20px'
                }, 200);

        } , function() {
        $(this).css({'z-index' : '0'});
        $(this).find('img').removeClass("hover").stop()
                .animate({
                        marginTop: '0',
                        marginLeft: '0',
                        top: '0',
                        left: '0',
                        width: '100px',
                        height: '100px',
                        padding: '5px'
                }, 400);
});

//Swap Image on Click
        $("ul.thumb li a").click(function() {

                var mainImage = $(this).attr("href"); //Find Image Name
                $("#main_view img").attr({ src: mainImage });
                return false;
        });

});
</script>

There's also some CSS involved ...I would suggest you look at the page
source of that web page and then steal the code from there.  (part of
it is here ...sans CSS)

jp

On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Deco Rior (Tennissource) wrote:

> Hi, Marc:
>
> This probably does not help you, but you could look at the source.
>
> One of the great things about RapidWeaver is that this has already
> been figured out.
>
> http://www.jonasthemes.com/preview/zoom/
>
> Deco
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Wondering if anyone has successfully implemented something like this?
>>
>> http://www.sohtanaka.com/web-design/examples/image-zoom/
>>
>> I am trying to get it working on a new site and struggling to get
>> the effect I want - probably because this was more a proof of
>> concept than a finished product. Anyone know of any GOOD jQuery out
>> there that works along these lines? I found one other called "fancy
>> hover" but it didn't work right either.
>>
>> Marc
>>
>> --
>> Marc Pinnell
>> 1027 Design
>> PO Box 990872
>> Redding, CA 96099-0872
>> 530.941.4706
>> fax: 866.232.5300
>> www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Marc Pinnell-3
Yeah, have all that. Actually have it working pretty well now, but was hoping for something a little more polished that was lurking out there, but missed by a google search.

marc

On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:50 PM, JP wrote:

> This is in the source of that bug image site Marc linked
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> $(document).ready(function(){
>
> //Larger thumbnail preview
>
> $("ul.thumb li").hover(function() {
> $(this).css({'z-index' : '10'});
> $(this).find('img').addClass("hover").stop()
> .animate({
> marginTop: '-110px',
> marginLeft: '-110px',
> top: '50%',
> left: '50%',
> width: '174px',
> height: '174px',
> padding: '20px'
> }, 200);
>
> } , function() {
> $(this).css({'z-index' : '0'});
> $(this).find('img').removeClass("hover").stop()
> .animate({
> marginTop: '0',
> marginLeft: '0',
> top: '0',
> left: '0',
> width: '100px',
> height: '100px',
> padding: '5px'
> }, 400);
> });
>
> //Swap Image on Click
> $("ul.thumb li a").click(function() {
>
> var mainImage = $(this).attr("href"); //Find Image Name
> $("#main_view img").attr({ src: mainImage });
> return false;
> });
>
> });
> </script>
>

> There's also some CSS involved ...I would suggest you look at the page source of that web page and then steal the code from there.  (part of it is here ...sans CSS)
>
> jp
>

> On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Deco Rior (Tennissource) wrote:
>
>> Hi, Marc:
>>
>> This probably does not help you, but you could look at the source.
>>
>> One of the great things about RapidWeaver is that this has already been figured out.
>>
>> http://www.jonasthemes.com/preview/zoom/
>>
>> Deco
>> On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering if anyone has successfully implemented something like this?
>>>
>>> http://www.sohtanaka.com/web-design/examples/image-zoom/
>>>
>>> I am trying to get it working on a new site and struggling to get the effect I want - probably because this was more a proof of concept than a finished product. Anyone know of any GOOD jQuery out there that works along these lines? I found one other called "fancy hover" but it didn't work right either.
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marc Pinnell
>>> 1027 Design
>>> PO Box 990872
>>> Redding, CA 96099-0872
>>> 530.941.4706
>>> fax: 866.232.5300
>>> www.1027Design.com

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

JP-14
Googled and found this ....

http://nixboxdesigns.com/demos/jquery-image-flyout.php

Dunno if you got that one ...but ....it's nice ....guess it boils down
to what the end-user really wants.

jp

On Mar 4, 2010, at 10:09 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Yeah, have all that. Actually have it working pretty well now, but
> was hoping for something a little more polished that was lurking out
> there, but missed by a google search.
>
> marc
>
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:50 PM, JP wrote:
>
>> This is in the source of that bug image site Marc linked
>>
>> <script type="text/javascript">
>> $(document).ready(function(){
>>
>> //Larger thumbnail preview
>>
>> $("ul.thumb li").hover(function() {
>> $(this).css({'z-index' : '10'});
>> $(this).find('img').addClass("hover").stop()
>> .animate({
>> marginTop: '-110px',
>> marginLeft: '-110px',
>> top: '50%',
>> left: '50%',
>> width: '174px',
>> height: '174px',
>> padding: '20px'
>> }, 200);
>>
>> } , function() {
>> $(this).css({'z-index' : '0'});
>> $(this).find('img').removeClass("hover").stop()
>> .animate({
>> marginTop: '0',
>> marginLeft: '0',
>> top: '0',
>> left: '0',
>> width: '100px',
>> height: '100px',
>> padding: '5px'
>> }, 400);
>> });
>>
>> //Swap Image on Click
>> $("ul.thumb li a").click(function() {
>>
>> var mainImage = $(this).attr("href"); //Find Image Name
>> $("#main_view img").attr({ src: mainImage });
>> return false;
>> });
>>
>> });
>> </script>
>>

>> There's also some CSS involved ...I would suggest you look at the
>> page source of that web page and then steal the code from there.
>> (part of it is here ...sans CSS)
>>
>> jp
>>

>> On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Deco Rior (Tennissource) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Marc:
>>>
>>> This probably does not help you, but you could look at the source.
>>>
>>> One of the great things about RapidWeaver is that this has already
>>> been figured out.
>>>
>>> http://www.jonasthemes.com/preview/zoom/
>>>
>>> Deco

> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Marc Pinnell-3
Basically trying to replicate the effect found here:

http://www.visitcalifornia.com

but in jQuery instead of icky Flash.

marc

On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:19 PM, JP wrote:

> Googled and found this ....
>
> http://nixboxdesigns.com/demos/jquery-image-flyout.php
>
> Dunno if you got that one ...but ....it's nice ....guess it boils down to what the end-user really wants.
>
> jp
>
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 10:09 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Yeah, have all that. Actually have it working pretty well now, but was hoping for something a little more polished that was lurking out there, but missed by a google search.
>>
>> marc
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:50 PM, JP wrote:
>>
>>> This is in the source of that bug image site Marc linked
>>>
>>> <script type="text/javascript">
>>> $(document).ready(function(){
>>>
>>> //Larger thumbnail preview
>>>
>>> $("ul.thumb li").hover(function() {
>>> $(this).css({'z-index' : '10'});
>>> $(this).find('img').addClass("hover").stop()
>>> .animate({
>>> marginTop: '-110px',
>>> marginLeft: '-110px',
>>> top: '50%',
>>> left: '50%',
>>> width: '174px',
>>> height: '174px',
>>> padding: '20px'
>>> }, 200);
>>>
>>> } , function() {
>>> $(this).css({'z-index' : '0'});
>>> $(this).find('img').removeClass("hover").stop()
>>> .animate({
>>> marginTop: '0',
>>> marginLeft: '0',
>>> top: '0',
>>> left: '0',
>>> width: '100px',
>>> height: '100px',
>>> padding: '5px'
>>> }, 400);
>>> });
>>>
>>> //Swap Image on Click
>>> $("ul.thumb li a").click(function() {
>>>
>>> var mainImage = $(this).attr("href"); //Find Image Name
>>> $("#main_view img").attr({ src: mainImage });
>>> return false;
>>> });
>>>
>>> });
>>> </script>
>>>

>>> There's also some CSS involved ...I would suggest you look at the page source of that web page and then steal the code from there.  (part of it is here ...sans CSS)
>>>
>>> jp

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>> Marc Pinnell
>> 1027 Design
>> PO Box 990872
>> Redding, CA 96099-0872
>> 530.941.4706
>> fax: 866.232.5300
>> www.1027Design.com

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Wade Maxfield
On 5/03/10 5:21 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
> Basically trying to replicate the effect found here:
>
> http://www.visitcalifornia.com
>
> but in jQuery instead of icky Flash.
>
> marc

What browsers do you need this to work with?  And are you after the zoom
and the carousel together?

Current WebKit and Firefox 3.7+ all handle CSS transform and transition
which do the zoom part quite nicely.  And you can fall back to just
using older css to resize/add borders/etc for older browsers.

  - Wade

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Marc Pinnell-3
Public site so IE 7+, FF and Safari (guess I should start working with Chrome at some point too!).

On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Wade Maxfield wrote:

> On 5/03/10 5:21 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>> Basically trying to replicate the effect found here:
>>
>> http://www.visitcalifornia.com
>>
>> but in jQuery instead of icky Flash.
>>
>> marc
>>

> What browsers do you need this to work with?  And are you after the zoom and the carousel together?
>
> Current WebKit and Firefox 3.7+ all handle CSS transform and transition which do the zoom part quite nicely.  And you can fall back to just using older css to resize/add borders/etc for older browsers.
>
> - Wade

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

stevepiercy
Chrome is rapidly gaining browser share, at least according to
this source, and is in third place behind FF and IE.

On 3/5/10 at 7:25 AM, [hidden email] (Marc
Pinnell) pronounced:

>Public site so IE 7+, FF and Safari (guess I should start
>working with Chrome at some point too!).
>

>On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>
>>On 5/03/10 5:21 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>>> Basically trying to replicate the effect found here:
>>>   http://www.visitcalifornia.com
>>>   but in jQuery instead of icky Flash.
>>>   marc
>>>

>>What browsers do you need this to work with?  And are you after the zoom and the
>carousel together?
>>
>>Current WebKit and Firefox 3.7+ all handle CSS transform and transition which do
>the zoom part quite nicely.  And you can fall back to just
>using older css to resize/add borders/etc for older browsers.
>>
>>- Wade
>>
>>--
>>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Marc Pinnell-3
What I find interesting is the IE stats. Nothing over 15% individually and less than FF combined. Never thought I would see the day!

Guess I better download Chrome.... Anyone using Chrome on both Mac and PC? How is it cross platform? Consistent?

marc

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Chrome is rapidly gaining browser share, at least according to this source, and is in third place behind FF and IE.
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
> --steve
>

> On 3/5/10 at 7:25 AM, [hidden email] (Marc Pinnell) pronounced:
>
>> Public site so IE 7+, FF and Safari (guess I should start working with Chrome at some point too!).

>>> What browsers do you need this to work with?  And are you after the zoom and the
>> carousel together?
>>>
>>> Current WebKit and Firefox 3.7+ all handle CSS transform and transition which do
>> the zoom part quite nicely.  And you can fall back to just using older css to resize/add borders/etc for older browsers.
>>>
>>> - Wade
>>>
>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
>>>

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Marc Pinnell
1027 Design
PO Box 990872
Redding, CA 96099-0872
530.941.4706
fax: 866.232.5300
www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

jasonhuck
The official Mac releases tend to lag behind the Windows releases
quite a bit, so for the best parity, go with the Chromium nightly
builds. They are quite stable and very fast. I'm using Chrome as my
default browser now on all my Intel machines (and Opera on the old PPC
machines) for best performance.

If you hunt around on the web you can find little apps that will
automatically install the latest nightlies for you.

- jason

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Marc Pinnell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I find interesting is the IE stats. Nothing over 15% individually and less than FF combined. Never thought I would see the day!
>
> Guess I better download Chrome.... Anyone using Chrome on both Mac and PC? How is it cross platform? Consistent?
>
> marc
>

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> Chrome is rapidly gaining browser share, at least according to this source, and is in third place behind FF and IE.
>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On 3/5/10 at 7:25 AM, [hidden email] (Marc Pinnell) pronounced:
>>
>>> Public site so IE 7+, FF and Safari (guess I should start working with Chrome at some point too!).

>>> carousel together?

>>> the zoom part quite nicely.  And you can fall back to just using older css to resize/add borders/etc for older browsers.

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Rick Draper

> Anyone using Chrome on both Mac and PC? How is it cross platform?
Consistent?

I don't think Chrome is available for Mac...  But I have only just
finished doing a Firefox Chrome comparison on PC and things look very
good.

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

jasonhuck
official releases are available here:
http://www.google.com/chrome

it says "beta" but Google calls everything beta these days -- how many
years was GMail in "beta"?

nightlies (for mac) are here:
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/

scroll to the bottom for the latest release, which as of right now is:
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/40744/

- jason

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Anyone using Chrome on both Mac and PC? How is it cross platform?
> Consistent?
>
> I don't think Chrome is available for Mac...  But I have only just
> finished doing a Firefox Chrome comparison on PC and things look very
> good.
>
> Very best regards,
>

> Rick

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Robert Carpenter
I like Chrome quite a bit, and lately I've tended to have both it and
FF open at the same time, with FF being my main "browsing browser" and
Chrome being my webapp browser, mainly Google Apps and related stuff.

The Mac version does lag behind, but the features do seem to catch up
quickly enough. Extension support was recently added, although the
ecosystem for Chrome extensions is quite a bit smaller than FF.

Both Chrome and Safari are built on webkit, so the basic rendering
should be similar, but they are different - they have different
javscript engines, for example.

-robert-

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> What I find interesting is the IE stats. Nothing over 15%
> individually and less than FF combined. Never thought I would see
> the day!
>
> Guess I better download Chrome.... Anyone using Chrome on both Mac
> and PC? How is it cross platform? Consistent?
>
> marc
>

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> Chrome is rapidly gaining browser share, at least according to this
>> source, and is in third place behind FF and IE.
>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On 3/5/10 at 7:25 AM, [hidden email] (Marc Pinnell)
>> pronounced:
>>
>>> Public site so IE 7+, FF and Safari (guess I should start working
>>> with Chrome at some point too!).

>>> carousel together?

>>> the zoom part quite nicely.  And you can fall back to just using
>>> older css to resize/add borders/etc for older browsers.

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Design
> PO Box 990872
> Redding, CA 96099-0872
> 530.941.4706
> fax: 866.232.5300
> www.1027Design.com

Re: [OT] Image zoom on hover

Göran Törnquist-2
Hehe, there's four new revisions since you wrote this message :-)

Latest is now 40781.

/Göran

On 3/5/10 7:31 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> official releases are available here:
> http://www.google.com/chrome
>
> it says "beta" but Google calls everything beta these days -- how many
> years was GMail in "beta"?
>
> nightlies (for mac) are here:
> http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/
>
> scroll to the bottom for the latest release, which as of right now is:
> http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/40744/
>
> - jason
>

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Rick Draper<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>>> Anyone using Chrome on both Mac and PC? How is it cross platform?
>>>
>> Consistent?
>>
>> I don't think Chrome is available for Mac...  But I have only just
>> finished doing a Firefox Chrome comparison on PC and things look very
>> good.
>>
>> Very best regards,
>>

>> Rick

believed to be clean.