[OT] Identifying click throughs

Mark Palmer
Hi list,

A client want me to log click throughs from Google, MSN and Yahoo.

Although they have the respective search engines tracking Javascript
in their pages they also want to capture the click through into their
quote form/database.

With Google I can see a gclid=<some_string> name value pair, but I'm
having trouble identifying similar pits for MSN and Yahoo.

Or should l I rely on referrer, or some other methiod?

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: [OT] Identifying click throughs

Steve Upton
At 2:56 PM +0100 8/6/09, Mark Palmer wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>A client want me to log click throughs from Google, MSN and Yahoo.
>
>Although they have the respective search engines tracking Javascript in their pages they also want to capture the click through into their quote form/database.
>
>With Google I can see a gclid=<some_string> name value pair, but I'm having trouble identifying similar pits for MSN and Yahoo.
>
>Or should l I rely on referrer, or some other methiod?

Do you mean people linking into your customer's site from those sites?

If so, and it's ad clicks they want to track, you might want to add a parameter to the URL in the ad. That's how we track paid clicks into our site (among other things).

If it's clicks on search results you are looking for then yes, referrer_URL is what you are looking for. If you parse them you can also typically gather the search terms the people used to find the link. The aforementioned URL parameters are handy for telling paid clicks from search result clicks as well.

If you are looking for clicks OUT of your customer's site in ads placed by those services then I have no idea how it would be done...

regards,

Steve

Re: [OT] Identifying click throughs

Justin Dennis-3
If you are using Google Analytics, you can use this Lasso code to
parse the Google Analytics cookie into something usable:

<?LassoScript

var('analytics' =
map('source'='','campaign'='','medium'='','term'='','content'='','gclid'=''));
var('analytics_cookie' = cookie('__utmz'));

protect;
        $analytics->find('source') = string_findregexp($analytics_cookie,
-find='utmcsr=(.[^\\|]*)')->get(2);
/protect;
protect;
        $analytics->find('medium') = string_findregexp($analytics_cookie,
-find='utmcmd=(.[^\\|]*)')->get(2);
/protect;
protect;
        $analytics->find('term') = string_findregexp($analytics_cookie,
-find='utmctr=(.[^\\|]*)')->get(2);
/protect;
protect;
        $analytics->find('content') = string_findregexp($analytics_cookie,
-find='utmcct=(.[^\\|]*)')->get(2);
/protect;
protect;
        $analytics->find('campaign')= string_findregexp($analytics_cookie,
-find='utmccn=(.[^\\|]*)')->get(2);
/protect;
protect;
        $analytics->find('gclid') = string_findregexp($analytics_cookie,
-find='utmgclid=(.[^\\|]*)')->get(2);
/protect;

if($analytics->find('gclid') != '');
        $analytics->find('source') = 'google';
        $analytics->find('medium') = 'cpc';
/if;

?>

I actually store all this for each lead, allowing us to trace leads
back to specific keywords and sources, which is what it sounds like
you want to do. Hope that helps.

- Justin