[OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Israel Thompson
Hey guys,

This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
recommendation, if possible.

When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?

Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
the dough for a paid mail list service.

They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?

Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?

Thanks all,

Izz

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Doug Gentry-2
Well, part of the solution - composing text for emails that has some HTML formatting can be solved by downloading and installing ckeditor. Just do a search for it. It is free. Then if there is a textarea input field with class="ckeditor" your user will see a bunch of formatting options in a WYSIWYG setting. You save that either in a variable or a field in a table and all of the HTML codes are saved with it. When you send out the mail that message content needs -encodesmart. By the way this is all Lasso 8x stuff. I don't know the Lasso 9 equivalent.

To me the big issue is the mail out, handling bounces and all of that.

...Doug

Sent from my iPad
541-261-8501
plain-sense.com

On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Israel Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
> recommendation, if possible.
>
> When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
> list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
> third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
> little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
> the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?
>
> Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
> believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
> expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
> things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
> sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
> HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
> the dough for a paid mail list service.
>
> They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
> service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>
> Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
> list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
> if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
> cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Izz

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Steve Upton

On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Israel Thompson wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
> recommendation, if possible.
>
> When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
> list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
> third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
> little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
> the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?
>
> Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
> believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
> expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
> things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
> sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
> HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
> the dough for a paid mail list service.
>
> They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
> service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>
> Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
> list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
> if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
> cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?

MailChimp has some good templates that they can use without having to sign up for the service. I used one as the basis for some work in the past.

If Word messes it up from there then then need to choose a different editor….

Regards,

Steve Upton

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Mason Miller
Once you have the email created, I highly recommend DirectMail for sending the email out. Costs a penny per email, but they have excellent bounce tracking and great stats.

Mason

On Jul 26, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Steve Upton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Israel Thompson wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
>> recommendation, if possible.
>>
>> When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
>> list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
>> third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
>> little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
>> the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?
>>
>> Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
>> believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
>> expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
>> things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
>> sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
>> HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
>> the dough for a paid mail list service.
>>
>> They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
>> service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>>
>> Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
>> list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
>> if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
>> cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?
>
> MailChimp has some good templates that they can use without having to sign up for the service. I used one as the basis for some work in the past.
>
> If Word messes it up from there then then need to choose a different editor….
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Upton

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Mason Miller
DirectMail is a Mac App, I don't think there is a Windows version.

Mason

On Jul 26, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Mason Miller wrote:

> Once you have the email created, I highly recommend DirectMail for sending the email out. Costs a penny per email, but they have excellent bounce tracking and great stats.
>
> Mason
>
> On Jul 26, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Steve Upton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Israel Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
>>> recommendation, if possible.
>>>
>>> When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
>>> list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
>>> third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
>>> little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
>>> the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?
>>>
>>> Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
>>> believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
>>> expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
>>> things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
>>> sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
>>> HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
>>> the dough for a paid mail list service.
>>>
>>> They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
>>> service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>>>
>>> Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
>>> list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
>>> if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
>>> cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?
>>
>> MailChimp has some good templates that they can use without having to sign up for the service. I used one as the basis for some work in the past.
>>
>> If Word messes it up from there then then need to choose a different editor….
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve Upton

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

I would absolutely not allow my client to use my server for mass
mailings.  Here's just a few reasons.

* Using your server to send out mass mailings exposes your
server to getting black-listed by others, which in turn may
negatively impact your other clients from having their critical
email notifications reaching their intended recipients.  Yes, it
happens.  A lot.  Don't allow this.

* It is much more cost-effective to have the client pay for MC
and get all its features today than to pay for my time to
implement a fraction of the features that MC offers.

* MC has agreements with large ISPs to avoid blacklisting.

* MC conforms with anti-spam laws, so you don't have to figure
it out on your own.

* MC provides one of the least sucky HTML WYSIWYG editors
available (they all suck, but MC's sucks not so much).

* MC handles list complaints, unsubs, subs for you.

* MC provides tracking: counts of sent, bounced, opened, click-throughs.

--steve

On 7/26/12 at 11:25 AM, [hidden email] (Israel
Thompson) pronounced:

>Hey guys,
>
>This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
>recommendation, if possible.
>
>When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
>list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
>third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
>little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
>the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?
>
>Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
>believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
>expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
>things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
>sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
>HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
>the dough for a paid mail list service.
>
>They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
>service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>
>Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
>list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
>if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
>cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?
>
>Thanks all,
>
>Izz
>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Jim Sheffer-3
Israel-

I hate to say it but I agree with Steve (Nothing against Steve - He's helped a lot of people here, including me!).

I can still remember the days of bending over to keep a client who is costing much more than is worth it but you need their business so you keep doing it - We've all been there :-)

But as experience dictates (I hated when I heard the exact response as the one Steve gave here) What Steve and others have said - use a service - If they don't want to pay then you may have to cut your losses...

I tried going the other way (I just have to be different once in awhile!) and even got to the point of building a large "mailing list" with Lasso for the client..  It's possible to build an incredible "Email List Server" via Lasso but that's not what Lasso is for and it isn't worth the effort!

That's when the troubles began - I was spending so much time keeping us off of blacklists (and failing)...

He wanted a way to import lists - "clean" lists as he put it (wrong!)...

More fighting with Spam filter systems (Spam Cop, etc...)...

Eventually, I "forced" him to move to Mail Chimp and haven't hear a word from him (Still a client, just with nothing to complain about anymore :-)

BUT if you "HAVE" to go that way, I'd suggest using CKEditor and the "HTML" part for the client's needs.  It's one of the best out there, and it's Free!  (If you need help getting CKEditor up and running, contact me off list and I can walk you through the setup :-).

If sending through the "Lasso Mail System", be sure to "pause" your email send tag every so many records (I set mine between 50 - 200 emails/minute).

James Sheffer,

The HigherPowered Team!

[hidden email]          [hidden email]
Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
phone:  469-256-0268
 "We help businesses succeed on the web!"

On Jul 26, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Steve Upton wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Israel Thompson wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> This is completely off-topic, but I'd like some advice or
>> recommendation, if possible.
>>
>> When you've got a hosting client who's too cheap to pay for a mail
>> list service, wants to send mail-outs all themselves using a free
>> third-party software option on your host — in HTML, no doubt — but has
>> little-to-no knowledge of HTML what would you recommend they generate
>> the HTML with? Or perhaps, which mail list software?
>>
>> Up until now, they've been utilizing MS Word and saving as HTML, but I
>> believe MS Word is generating gnarly code and not doing what they
>> expect. I'm fielding questions from them left and right regarding odd
>> things like justifying text and images not showing up, and I'm not
>> sure what to tell them other than to actually spend the time to learn
>> HTML, pay me more money to write their templates for them, or cough up
>> the dough for a paid mail list service.
>>
>> They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
>> service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>>
>> Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
>> list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
>> if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
>> cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?
>
> MailChimp has some good templates that they can use without having to sign up for the service. I used one as the basis for some work in the past.
>
> If Word messes it up from there then then need to choose a different editor….
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Upton

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

Israel Thompson
Thanks everyone for your insight!

I couldn't agree more with you, Steve [P] and Jim. In this particular
case, these are actually routed through a mail-tunnel-on-steroids
(courtesy of our good friend Marc Pope) with a different IP Address
unrelated to the server, but yeah, I know exactly what you mean!

And yeah, totally feeling the "more than worth" Jim! It doesn't help
when they are acquaintances outside of the business relationship
either!

Steve [U], I didn't realize you could utilize templates without
signing up for MC. I'll look into that! Although this client is
probably one who will still want something more customized, if you
know what I mean!?

From everything advised here, looks like my first choice will be to
loosely recommend they try CKEditor (thanks Doug for also pointing out
CKEditor), but try to push them into something I'm less involved with
like Mail Chimp or Direct Mail. Since this client will almost always
go with the cheaper route and I believe they are running all Windows
personal machines, I'd guess Mail Chimp will be the best option.
However, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Mail Chimp vs. Direct Mail,
Mason... Have you tried both?

Izz

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Jim Sheffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> the dough for a paid mail list service.
>>>
>>> They have over 4,000 subscribers, so benefiting from Mail Chimp's free
>>> service isn't an option — and did I mention they are cheap?
>>>
>>> Anyway, whether it be a WYSIWYG HTML editor or an alternative mail
>>> list software besides the one they are using now (Pommo), I'm curious
>>> if there is something out there that is cheap or next to nothing in
>>> cost that I can recommend my client use. Any advice?
>>
>> MailChimp has some good templates that they can use without having to sign up for the service. I used one as the basis for some work in the past.
>>
>> If Word messes it up from there then then need to choose a different editor….
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve Upton

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: [OT] HTML E-Mails and News List Woes

stevepiercy
Does the WYSIWYG editor need to have file uploads, too?  If so,
then CKEditor would be an easier option to implement because the
code exists.  Of course, with any file uploads, protect the file uploader.
https://github.com/simogeo/Filemanager

You can nab templates from MC by getting a free account or look here.
http://mailchimp.com/resources/html-email-templates/

MC has an easy to use API, and there is a Lasso tag for that.
You might need to update the parameters in the tag to align with
the latest API and to use SSL.
http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/
http://www.lassosoft.com/tagswap/detail/mailchimp

Dunno about Direct Mail.  MC does what I need, so I never looked
into others.

<soapbox>
As far as the client/acquaintance thing, make it absolutely
clear that your time has value.  I define "work" as doing stuff
that takes away my time from enjoyable activities with friends,
family, and my own personal time.  Uncompensated work also takes
away time from paying clients, a double-whammy.  Everyone
concerned will be much happier knowing the distinction.  Unless
they don't respect your position, then you have a problem.
</soapbox>

--steve

On 7/26/12 at 6:39 PM, [hidden email] (Israel
Thompson) pronounced: