[OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

[OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Gary Clark-2
Hi List,

Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records where
a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously not.

Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?

Many thanks in advance

Gary Clark

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Marc Vos
I think it is :  =""

- -
Marc

On 11-feb-2009, at 15:14, Gary Clark wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
> prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records
> where a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously
> not.
>
> Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Gary Clark

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Jolle Carlestam-2
=
11 feb 2009 kl. 15.14 skrev Gary Clark:

> Hi List,
>
> Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
> prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records where
> a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously not.
>
> Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Gary Clark

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Steve Upton
At 2:14 PM +0000 2/11/09, Gary Clark wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records where a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously not.
>
>Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?

Off the top of my head I think it's just the equals sign.

There is a popup on the left side of the window that pastes a few of the lesser known operators into the currently selected field. I tend to use it for such things so I don't have to remember them

Steve

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Jolle Carlestam-2
No, skip the quotes.

11 feb 2009 kl. 15.18 skrev Marc Vos:

> I think it is :  =""
>
> - -
> Marc
>

> On 11-feb-2009, at 15:14, Gary Clark wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
>> prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records
>> where a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously
>> not.
>>
>> Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance
>>
>> Gary Clark

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Gary Clark-2
Hi list,

Thanks for all your help, sorry but it was * and use the 'omit' check
box! Of course!

Many thanks

Gary Clark

On 11 Feb 2009, at 14:18, Marc Vos wrote:

> I think it is :  =""
>
> - -
> Marc
>

> On 11-feb-2009, at 15:14, Gary Clark wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
>> prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records
>> where a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously
>> not.
>>
>> Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance
>>
>> Gary Clark

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Marc Vos
In FM6 I always use ="". I didn't even know I could just type the =

- -
Marc

On 11-feb-2009, at 15:24, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> No, skip the quotes.
>
> HDB
> Jolle
>
> 11 feb 2009 kl. 15.18 skrev Marc Vos:
>

>> I think it is :  =""
>>
>> - -
>> Marc
>>

>> On 11-feb-2009, at 15:14, Gary Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
>>> prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records
>>> where a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously
>>> not.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Gary Clark
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Jolle Carlestam-2
I'm not sorry. The method you tried works, too. But please humor us
Gary and try to type an equal sign in the search field just to see
what happens.

11 feb 2009 kl. 15.37 skrev Gary Clark:

> Hi list,
>
> Thanks for all your help, sorry but it was * and use the 'omit' check
> box! Of course!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Gary Clark
>

> On 11 Feb 2009, at 14:18, Marc Vos wrote:
>
>> I think it is :  =""
>>
>> - -
>> Marc
>>

>> On 11-feb-2009, at 15:14, Gary Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> Oh wow, I am just using Filemaker to do some data conversion for me
>>> prior to entering it into SQL, I need to do a search for records
>>> where a field is empty. I thought this would work "", but obviously
>>> not.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know that the syntax for an empty field search is?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Gary Clark
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

Gary Clark-2
OK, that worked just as good, but I do think may way was slightly
better ;-) I have no idea why, I just wanted to get something right
for once!

Gary

On 11 Feb 2009, at 15:50, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> I'm not sorry. The method you tried works, too. But please humor us
> Gary and try to type an equal sign in the search field just to see
> what happens.
>
> HDB
> Jolle
>
> 11 feb 2009 kl. 15.37 skrev Gary Clark:
>

>> Hi list,
>>
>> Thanks for all your help, sorry but it was * and use the 'omit' check
>> box! Of course!
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Gary Clark
>>

>> On 11 Feb 2009, at 14:18, Marc Vos wrote:
>>
>>> I think it is :  =""
>>>
>>> - -
>>> Marc

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: [OT] Filmaker search for empty fields...

It's not only wrong, but inefficient.  * is 0 or more characters, so it essentially finds all records, then omits them.

When dinking around with inlines for FM ≥9 where I use FM special characters or complex operators, I ALWAYS use action_statement to make sure that the XML request getting sent to Lasso is what I expect.

To do a search for a single empty field in FM ≥9, do this:

    -rx,
    'empty_field'   = '=',

--steve

On Wednesday, February 11, 2009, [hidden email] (Jolle Carlestam) pronounced: