[OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Steffan A. Cline
Has anyone here seen an instance where the ftp daemon goes haywire on OS X
Server 10.3.9 and eats up all the CPU ticks making the machine unmanageable?
I can't figure it out. I am at ends wit and am contemplating installing
ProFTP with the mysql backend. Any advice on how to fix the built in install
of FTP so I can continue to use the built in admin?

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
The Executive's Choice in Lasso driven Internet Applications
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

John May-2
>Has anyone here seen an instance where the ftp daemon goes haywire on OS X
>Server 10.3.9 and eats up all the CPU ticks making the machine unmanageable?
>I can't figure it out. I am at ends wit and am contemplating installing
>ProFTP with the mysql backend. Any advice on how to fix the built in install
>of FTP so I can continue to use the built in admin?
>

>Thanks
>
>Steffan

Just install ProFTPd - you'll be much happier for it.

        - John

John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

m i l e s-4
Steffan.

Don't listen to John.  John I luv yah baby, you know that...but that
ProFtp noise is just
that *NOISE*!! ! ! ! !! !

Steffan my boy...come this way....

Listen to your old Pal M i l e s.

I had that ProFTP noise and it drove me BATTY for weeks on end, never
got the damned
thing to run right.  And that built-in FTP server that apple calls an
FTP server either from
OS X Server or OSX Client...what a piece of .... well you get the
picture.  It's just as FOUL.
I mean who's writing this stuff anyway...really.  Well actually I do
know who's writing it and I
do know the project manager for OS X Server.  And all I can do is
shake my head at him every
time I see him at macworld.

Years earlier I heard of this piece of software for the mac called:
RUMPUS.  I dumped it
about 5 minutes after I downloaded it.  Because WebStar FTP did
everything in a simple easy
way....webserver, ftp server, email server....gosh how could you
possibly go wrong, right ?

Well we all know how *THAT* turned out.  So there I was starin back
at Rumpus, and it had matured.

And today I couldn't do what I do WITHOUT rumpus.

Rumpus my friend....say it with me. RUMPUS.  And v4 is KICKIN.

So dump that FTP noize you got goin on...download rumpus and your FTP
issues will be GONE.

v5 is on the way, and its pretty smokin from what I can see.

M i l e s.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

John May-2
FYI - ProFTPd runs great on all of our servers here.  And it's a
heckovalot cheaper than Rumpus.

        - John

>Steffan.
>
>Don't listen to John.  John I luv yah baby, you know that...but that
>ProFtp noise is just
>that *NOISE*!! ! ! ! !! !
>
>Steffan my boy...come this way....
>
>Listen to your old Pal M i l e s.
>
>I had that ProFTP noise and it drove me BATTY for weeks on end,
>never got the damned
>thing to run right.  And that built-in FTP server that apple calls
>an FTP server either from
>OS X Server or OSX Client...what a piece of .... well you get the
>picture.  It's just as FOUL.
>I mean who's writing this stuff anyway...really.  Well actually I do
>know who's writing it and I
>do know the project manager for OS X Server.  And all I can do is
>shake my head at him every
>time I see him at macworld.
>
>Years earlier I heard of this piece of software for the mac called:
>RUMPUS.  I dumped it
>about 5 minutes after I downloaded it.  Because WebStar FTP did
>everything in a simple easy
>way....webserver, ftp server, email server....gosh how could you
>possibly go wrong, right ?
>
>Well we all know how *THAT* turned out.  So there I was starin back
>at Rumpus, and it had matured.
>
>And today I couldn't do what I do WITHOUT rumpus.
>
>Rumpus my friend....say it with me. RUMPUS.  And v4 is KICKIN.
>
>So dump that FTP noize you got goin on...download rumpus and your
>FTP issues will be GONE.
>
>v5 is on the way, and its pretty smokin from what I can see.
>
>M i l e s.

John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

m i l e s-4
John,

Not going to argue with you, that yes in-deed....ProFTP is a lot
cheaper than Rumpus.  Yup.

Sure is.  Then again...TANSTAAFL my friend.  TANSTAAFL!

That said...

Sometimes FREE isn't always 'free'.  And you end up spending all your
time pulling your collective hair out
and for WHAT?  Nothin, that's what.  So you go on use that ProFTP
thing my brotha.

Yahl go on witcha badse'f.

Howevah, this brotha is usin Rumpus.

Shonuff!

M.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Greg Willits-2
I use Rumpus as well.

If you're going maintain the gajillions of machines and accounts that
John runs, it could be well worth the time to learn to maintain one
of the FTPs that's better that the built-in one on the Xserve (which
without arbitrary path chroot containment seems utterly usely to me).
Learn once, deploy many many times.

However, I run a few dedicated servers with a handful or two of FTP
accounts to upload apps, test apps, and demo apps, etc.

Rumpus has a lot of decent features that serves (ar-ar) a guy like me
very well. Might not be manly, but it's cost effective and a real
time saver when providing FTP is not your main business.

-- gw

On Mar 4, 2006, at 1:21 PM, John May wrote:

> FYI - ProFTPd runs great on all of our servers here.  And it's a
> heckovalot cheaper than Rumpus.
>
> - John
>

>> Steffan.
>>
>> Don't listen to John.  John I luv yah baby, you know that...but
>> that ProFtp noise is just
>> that *NOISE*!! ! ! ! !! !
>>
>> Steffan my boy...come this way....
>>
>> Listen to your old Pal M i l e s.
>>
>> I had that ProFTP noise and it drove me BATTY for weeks on end,
>> never got the damned
>> thing to run right.  And that built-in FTP server that apple calls
>> an FTP server either from
>> OS X Server or OSX Client...what a piece of .... well you get the
>> picture.  It's just as FOUL.
>> I mean who's writing this stuff anyway...really.  Well actually I
>> do know who's writing it and I
>> do know the project manager for OS X Server.  And all I can do is
>> shake my head at him every
>> time I see him at macworld.
>>
>> Years earlier I heard of this piece of software for the mac
>> called: RUMPUS.  I dumped it
>> about 5 minutes after I downloaded it.  Because WebStar FTP did
>> everything in a simple easy
>> way....webserver, ftp server, email server....gosh how could you
>> possibly go wrong, right ?
>>
>> Well we all know how *THAT* turned out.  So there I was starin
>> back at Rumpus, and it had matured.
>>
>> And today I couldn't do what I do WITHOUT rumpus.
>>
>> Rumpus my friend....say it with me. RUMPUS.  And v4 is KICKIN.
>>
>> So dump that FTP noize you got goin on...download rumpus and your
>> FTP issues will be GONE.
>>
>> v5 is on the way, and its pretty smokin from what I can see.
>>
>> M i l e s.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Alex Pilson
At 4:21 PM -0500 3/4/06, John May wrote:
>FYI - ProFTPd runs great on all of our servers here.  And it's a
>heckovalot cheaper than Rumpus.

I have been using both ProFTPd and PureFTPd for quite some time now.
And I have to say I have been leaning towards PureFTPd over the past
year or so. Both are very capable FTP servers and there is a plethora
of info on setting these up fast on OS X. Someone has actually
created a GUI to interface with PureFTPd on the desktop level. Worth
checking out.

--
<?------------------------------------------------------------------------------/>
     Alex Pilson          FlagShip Hosting, LLC

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Steffan A. Cline
While all these options have been WELL observed, I wanted to figure out what
is wrong with my server and hoped someone would have suggestions on how to
fix the BUILT IN one.

If there are any suggestions with the BUILT IN one I would really appreciate
it.

Thanks!

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
The Executive's Choice in Lasso driven Internet Applications
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

> From: Alex Pilson <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 16:47:16 -0500
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?
>
> At 4:21 PM -0500 3/4/06, John May wrote:
>> FYI - ProFTPd runs great on all of our servers here.  And it's a
>> heckovalot cheaper than Rumpus.
>
> I have been using both ProFTPd and PureFTPd for quite some time now.
> And I have to say I have been leaning towards PureFTPd over the past
> year or so. Both are very capable FTP servers and there is a plethora
> of info on setting these up fast on OS X. Someone has actually
> created a GUI to interface with PureFTPd on the desktop level. Worth
> checking out.
>
> --
> <?----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --/>
>      Alex Pilson          FlagShip Hosting, LLC
>      800.592.6781     <http://www.flagshiphosting.com>
> <?----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --/>

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

m i l e s-4
Alex,

Nice gui.  Yup.  No doubt about that.

There's just one problem with it....PureFTPd doesn't work either
(well it didn't for me).

No matter...I tried'm all.

Both ProFTPd and PureFTPd....both have the same problem.  They both
tie the user database
to the NetInfo Db.  And if you loose your netinfo db, you're screwed!

Rumpus.  $249.00.  Plug it in, turn it on, you're done.  NEEEEEXT!

M i l e s.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

m i l e s-4
Steffan,

Ok, so you want some help...

Define "Haywire" ?

M i l e s.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

John May-2
>Alex,
>
>Nice gui.  Yup.  No doubt about that.
>
>There's just one problem with it....PureFTPd doesn't work either
>(well it didn't for me).
>
>No matter...I tried'm all.
>
>Both ProFTPd and PureFTPd....both have the same problem.  They both
>tie the user database
>to the NetInfo Db.  And if you loose your netinfo db, you're screwed!
>
>Rumpus.  $249.00.  Plug it in, turn it on, you're done.  NEEEEEXT!
>
>M i l e s.

Well, if you lose your netinfo db, you've got a lot more to worry
about than your FTP server.

We here like the integration with netinfo, as then all FTP users are
system users as they should be for maxiumum file security in a
multi-user environment.

        - John

John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Wade Maxfield
>Alex,
>
>Nice gui.  Yup.  No doubt about that.
>
>There's just one problem with it....PureFTPd doesn't work either
>(well it didn't for me).
>
>No matter...I tried'm all.
>
>Both ProFTPd and PureFTPd....both have the same problem.  They both
>tie the user database
>to the NetInfo Db.  And if you loose your netinfo db, you're screwed!
>
>Rumpus.  $249.00.  Plug it in, turn it on, you're done.  NEEEEEXT!
>
>M i l e s.

Miles,

Not to beat a dead horse, but:

ProFTPd has the option (and this is why I looked at it, and started
using it when I switched to OS X oh so many years ago) to use MySQL
for it's user database. Sure, it means you have to compile it
yourself, but that's really straightforward with this software.

Sorry Steffan, I can't offer any help with your haywire FTP.

  - Wade

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Alex Pilson
At 5:11 PM -0500 3/4/06, m i l e s wrote:

>Alex,
>
>Nice gui.  Yup.  No doubt about that.
>
>There's just one problem with it....PureFTPd doesn't work either
>(well it didn't for me).
>
>No matter...I tried'm all.
>
>Both ProFTPd and PureFTPd....both have the same problem.  They both
>tie the user database
>to the NetInfo Db.  And if you loose your netinfo db, you're screwed!

Either one can be configured to use MySQL and you can CHROOT users
and use virtual FTP users as well. Lot of a features to suit
different people's needs.

--
<?------------------------------------------------------------------------------/>
     Alex Pilson          FlagShip Hosting, LLC
     800.592.6781     <http://www.flagshiphosting.com>
<?------------------------------------------------------------------------------/>

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Mason Miller
I love PureFTPd.

Mason

On Mar 4, 2006, at 6:16 PM, Alex Pilson wrote:

> Either one can be configured to use MySQL and you can CHROOT users
> and use virtual FTP users as well. Lot of a features to suit
> different people's needs.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Trevor Borgmeier
m i l e s wrote:

> There's just one problem with it....PureFTPd doesn't work either
> (well it didn't for me).

This is what you need for a super easy install and configuration of PureFTPD

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

m i l e s-4
Trevor,

Yeah I did go down that road.

Would you like to see the shear VOLUME Of email over that lil install ?

Nice package, too bad it didn't work the way I wanted it to work.

Again, not tying it the netinfo db.  That's not what I wanted.

And every FTP server on the market EXCEPT Rumpus does that.  Again
this is off steffan's point.

Let's focus on what he wants...and he still hasn't defined what
"haywire" means....

As to how to get it back.  Since you have to stop and start the FTP
server to begin with,
and yes its a daemon...you'd have to look at its controller files to
find out exactly what
its doing Steffan.  Ive got loads of experience with this built-in
server, but given my
predilection towards rumpus, I'll try to give it a whirl.

M i l e s.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Marc Pope
ftp-config is way cheaper than all that and it works great.

Marc

On Mar 4, 2006, at 4:30 PM, m i l e s wrote:

> John,
>
> Not going to argue with you, that yes in-deed....ProFTP is a lot
> cheaper than Rumpus.  Yup.
>
> Sure is.  Then again...TANSTAAFL my friend.  TANSTAAFL!
>
> That said...
>
> Sometimes FREE isn't always 'free'.  And you end up spending all
> your time pulling your collective hair out
> and for WHAT?  Nothin, that's what.  So you go on use that ProFTP
> thing my brotha.
>
> Yahl go on witcha badse'f.
>
> Howevah, this brotha is usin Rumpus.
>
> Shonuff!
>
> M.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Bret Williams
I concur. We've been running PureFTP for quite some time, with no
problems. And there's a free install package that makes it very easy:
http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/index.html

The developer is very responsive, too.

On Mar 4, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Alex Pilson wrote:

> At 4:21 PM -0500 3/4/06, John May wrote:
>> FYI - ProFTPd runs great on all of our servers here.  And it's a
>> heckovalot cheaper than Rumpus.
>
> I have been using both ProFTPd and PureFTPd for quite some time
> now. And I have to say I have been leaning towards PureFTPd over
> the past year or so. Both are very capable FTP servers and there is
> a plethora of info on setting these up fast on OS X. Someone has
> actually created a GUI to interface with PureFTPd on the desktop
> level. Worth checking out.

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Re: [OT] FTP on Mac OS X Server?

Brian Loomis
Rumpus is sold with the Xerox document workcenters for Mac invironments.