OT: FMP and ESS

Diane Houdek
Just to let folks know - there is a limit to the number of fields that an ESS can have for FileMaker to be able to connect to that data source.  I know, I discovered the hard way!!  We set up an ODBC connection to a MySQL file that worked beautifully in testing, but as the client starting modifying the data collection instrument and we started adding fields, the connection would fail with following error displaying in all the MySQL fields in the FMP layout:

ODBC Error: [Actual][MySQL] You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

After much consternation (including dropping and deleting the database, recreating the DSN, updating the drivers, etc) and wonderful help from the folks at Actual Technologies we discovered that the field limit is 705 fields and we had 707 fields!

Long story short - don't try to connect to an external ODBC/JDBC data source in FileMaker with more than 705 fields in it.

Diane Houdek

Re: OT: FMP and ESS

jasonhuck
705 fields, holy crap! That sounds like a database schema in dire need
of some normalization.

- jason

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Diane Houdek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to let folks know - there is a limit to the number of fields that an ESS can have for FileMaker to be able to connect to that data source.  I know, I discovered the hard way!!  We set up an ODBC connection to a MySQL file that worked beautifully in testing, but as the client starting modifying the data collection instrument and we started adding fields, the connection would fail with following error displaying in all the MySQL fields in the FMP layout:
>
> ODBC Error: [Actual][MySQL] You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
>
> After much consternation (including dropping and deleting the database, recreating the DSN, updating the drivers, etc) and wonderful help from the folks at Actual Technologies we discovered that the field limit is 705 fields and we had 707 fields!
>
> Long story short - don't try to connect to an external ODBC/JDBC data source in FileMaker with more than 705 fields in it.
>
> Diane Houdek

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: OT: FMP and ESS

Diane Houdek
Well, let's put it this way, the easiest way for academic researchers to analyze "survey" data is in one flat file. It's a 158 page "survey".

"Jason Huck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 705 fields, holy crap! That sounds like a database schema in dire need
> of some normalization.
>
> - jason
>

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Diane Houdek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just to let folks know - there is a limit to the number of fields that an ESS
> can have for FileMaker to be able to connect to that data source.  I know, I
> discovered the hard way!!  We set up an ODBC connection to a MySQL file that
> worked beautifully in testing, but as the client starting modifying the data
> collection instrument and we started adding fields, the connection would fail
> with following error displaying in all the MySQL fields in the FMP layout:
>>
>> ODBC Error: [Actual][MySQL] You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
> manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
> use near '' at line 1
>>
>> After much consternation (including dropping and deleting the database,
> recreating the DSN, updating the drivers, etc) and wonderful help from the
> folks at Actual Technologies we discovered that the field limit is 705 fields
> and we had 707 fields!
>>
>> Long story short - don't try to connect to an external ODBC/JDBC data source
> in FileMaker with more than 705 fields in it.
>>
>> Diane Houdek

Re: OT: FMP and ESS

Seth Ganahl
Let me chime in on this topic.  At FileMaker Dev Con 2008 I sat in on
several panels with the FileMaker developers where they stated explicitly
(and repeatedly) ESS is NOT, we repeat NOT intended as a way for you to use
FileMaker as a front end to your SQL databases.

It does work great; however, when you need to integrate a little bit of SQL
into your FileMaker solution.

On 10/24/08 1:41 PM, "Diane Houdek" <[hidden email]> did quoth:

> Just to let folks know - there is a limit to the number of fields that an ESS
> can have for FileMaker to be able to connect to that data source.  I know, I
> discovered the hard way!!  We set up an ODBC connection to a MySQL file that
> worked beautifully in testing, but as the client starting modifying the data
> collection instrument and we started adding fields, the connection would fail
> with following error displaying in all the MySQL fields in the FMP layout:
>
> ODBC Error: [Actual][MySQL] You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
> manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
> use near '' at line 1
>
> After much consternation (including dropping and deleting the database,
> recreating the DSN, updating the drivers, etc) and wonderful help from the
> folks at Actual Technologies we discovered that the field limit is 705 fields
> and we had 707 fields!
>
> Long story short - don't try to connect to an external ODBC/JDBC data source
> in FileMaker with more than 705 fields in it.
>
> Diane Houdek

Seth C. Ganahl  <[hidden email]>
<http://www.ganahlconsulting.com>

Re: OT: FMP and ESS

Diane Houdek
Absolutely NO knock on academics - most of them are incredibly good statisticians, but they're a lot better at parsing a file into the pieces they need rather than having me hack it up for them.  Particularly when there aren't really too many one-to-many/many-to-many relationships in the data to begin with.

Diane