[OT]? - Content Aggregation (or is it aggravation?)

[OT]? - Content Aggregation (or is it aggravation?)

Paul Melia
Hi Lassoers,

A few signs came together this week that made me think more deeply
about this topic.
As web developers and content creators, I think it impacts us all in
one way or another.

The signs were:

- The founder of Digg appearing on the cover of a magazine this week
as the new poster boy of a resurgent IT investment/IPO cycle
- Apple demonstrating the "web clip" Dashboard widget which will
allow Mac users to make their own widgets out of public websites
- Ajaxian's profile of Magg (http://www.dappit.com/dapplications/
Magg/) a site that aggregates video from YouTube, Google and others

Basically, to me, the trend appears to be going towards "repackaging"
someone else's content or, in a more academic way, content and the
way people think about the ownership/rights regarding content is
becoming more fluid. All three examples above are doing it as user
experience enhancements but at what cost to the content creator's? Or
is it a benefit to the content generators?

I like Lasso because it is both tight and flexible - I could code my
site so that my content is freely available to anyone as an XML feed,
public website or a web service, etc but I could also use Lasso to
secure my content and keep people from accessing my content without
my permission.

So, I am interested in what others here might be thinking on this topic.

Peering intently at the crystal ball,
Paul

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: [OT]? - Content Aggregation (or is it aggravation?)

Bil Corry
It's known as "mashup" -- Wikipedia discusses it a bit:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(web_application_hybrid)>

- Bil

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: [OT]? - Content Aggregation (or is it aggravation?)

Douglas Burchard
On Aug 8, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Paul Melia wrote:

> Basically, to me, the trend appears to be going towards
> "repackaging" someone else's content or, in a more academic way,
> content and the way people think about the ownership/rights
> regarding content is becoming more fluid. All three examples above
> are doing it as user experience enhancements but at what cost to
> the content creator's? Or is it a benefit to the content generators?

That was really my initial thought watching the keynote address as
well. If that website with the cartoon survives by per-view
advertisement revenue, how long until the advertisers start paying
less (or go elsewhere) because there's no way to know if someone is
seeing the advertisements...

Okay, yes per-view advertisement isn't really a great business model
to begin with, and per-click is even worse. But these are just
examples. The content owner clearly intends the page to be available
as a whole, not in discrete bits. There's no legal issue here because
it's the end user deciding what to view, but there does seem to be
pressure on some business models with this trend. Another example of
the same trend is TIVO-like services making it easy to cut
commercials during playback.

One business model that gets around this is inserting advertisement
inside the content (like product placement), or making the
advertisement the desirable bit of content (like Super Bowl
commercials). Though those models don't seem to lend themselves well
to scaling up like distinct advertisements. Of course the oldest
business model of simply requiring payment for content still works
(as you suggest), but who wants to do that anymore...

--
Douglas Burchard, President
DouglasBurchard.com, Web Applications

direct: (206) 227-8161
[hidden email]
http://www.douglasburchard.com/

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: [OT]? - Content Aggregation (or is it aggravation?)

Clive Bruton

On 8 Aug 2006, at 17:49, Paul Melia wrote:

> Basically, to me, the trend appears to be going towards
> "repackaging" someone else's content or, in a more academic way,
> content and the way people think about the ownership/rights
> regarding content is becoming more fluid. All three examples above
> are doing it as user experience enhancements but at what cost to
> the content creator's? Or is it a benefit to the content generators?

I think this is not far removed from the sites that framed other
sites' news content in the early days of the web (so that they could
get the ad revenue in their own frames) - which eventually got sued
out of existence. The logic is also not far removed from Napster,
which hurtled headlong into the waiting arms of the record companies.

There seems to be a general consensus amongst entrepreneurs that they
can do what they like until they get sued (and, so what, it's just
the investors' money anyway!?).

> So, I am interested in what others here might be thinking on this
> topic.

Right now my philosophy is to "own" my own content. There are far too
many people out there who think that because content is free to
access then they are free to do what they like with it. From what
I've seen much of the material on YouTube is infringing to start with
(ie it's "rebroadcast" by people who don't have permission to do so).
So, on the subscription-based site I run there are free bits and log-
in bits (most of it), and a free RSS with limited content - this
seems to strike about the right balance for me.

At the end of the day I've looked at many of these free content/user
generated content sites over the years, and I've always come to the
conclusion that there's little real value in about 99.99999% of them.
Just because you can build a system to "join up the dots" doesn't
really mean that the whole picture is worth seeing. The overriding
purpose of most appears to be to gain as many page hits as possible
for ad revenue generation.

-- Clive

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: [OT]? - Content Aggregation (or is it aggravation?)

Viaduct Productions
You will find that Digg is about many things, including stuff that
isn't meant to be initially packaged as PR material.  Stories on
things that are cool, is what Digg is all about.  Digg it?

Also, that story of Kevin Rose was false.  it was a bad move on
BusinessWeek's part.  No formal valuation was done, and it was pure
speculation.  He's one bright kid, and he's had a lot of experience,
but if you watch his podcast, he ain't a normal tech dude.  He
actually thinks biz, but has a passion for technology.  Amber Mac is
another person that has this infection, here in Toronto.

Often Diggnation (podcast) will often slam individuals, products, or
companies.  I often wonder if they get lawyer-speak mail from time to
time.  They never mention anything, and Kevin seems to have a sense
of being responsible, while having a clear understanding when to
mention an issue with some very unkind words.  Their common sense
approach seems to work for them, but they have shown they are icons
and they are cool.  I don't know if it was intentional, but having
podcasts in public places with a fan base around them (recently at La
Jolla Brewing Company (tiny place, btw)), builds this status.  Maybe
Fletcher needs a funky haircut and a US nationwide tour...with Kerry
wearing a grass sombrero while playing the bongos...sipping
microbrews.  Sounds like Devcon.

Ahem...anyway, repackaging other people's PR releases or 'news' is
nothing new.  These guys are young, they're making tech cool again,
while integrating the concept of business, cash flows, strategy,
product design, and other aspects that should be on the forefront of
such stories.  Heck, how many tune in to Steve Jobs' podcast, just to
see new products and his presentation style?  It's very much a part
of the story.

Most forms of art are stolen.  Repackaged and consolidated in one
area from many different sources, is what Rocketboom is all about.
Offloading content creation upon the masses, is a great way to
populate your tables, for a Lasso project that has a public face.

My 2 Pesos.

Cheers