[OT] Billing Rates

Fred Weinhaus
Hi,

I have been working for a startup developing their web sites and
databases using Lasso for the last year and half without pay, but
promise of stock. I am trying to evaluate what my software effort
might be if I had billed the number of hours spent at some reasonable
rate. I am in legal discussions to strengthen my stock position on
the basis of what my intellectual property (software) is worth.

It has been about 5-7 years since I charged for such development
(mostly been working with startups since then). Back then I billed at
$75 per hour. In the last seven years, I expect nominal rates for
such development might have changed.

I am not asking for anyone to divulge their actual rates, but would
like to know what people in the Lasso group think the going rate
range might be currently.

Is $75 per hour still reasonable or has it come down or gone up.

Please email me directly, if anyone is willing to offer suggestions.

Thanks.

Fred Weinhaus

Re: [OT] Billing Rates

m i l e s
Fred,

While I have no problem divulging my hourly, Im sure that there are
those on the list
who would state that doing such would create a state of price fixing,
which is illegal.

That said...your rates are reasonable.

M i l e s.

---- LASSO DEVELOPER FOR HIRE: CHEAP RATES - NEEDS WORK ----
  *!- lasso tips for newbies - look fro them every monday -*
M i l e s                                [hidden email]
MagicMiles Software                         (413) 374 - 5161
http://www.magicmiles.com         AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles
I create content management systems for the rest of humanity,
starting at just $25 a month, includes domain registration,
web hosting, email and webmail -- PLUS -- * TOOLBOXENGINE*!

Re: [OT] Billing Rates

The market rate is somewhere between what your time is worth to you and whatever you can get.

It varies widely, though I have found there is some correlation to what you charge and the local cost of living.  In San Francisco, rates can be an astounding USD$200-300/hour, although a good chunk of that goes toward the high cost of living in the area.

--steve

On Tuesday, May 24, 2005, [hidden email] (Fred Weinhaus) pronounced:

>Hi,
>
>I have been working for a startup developing their web sites and
>databases using Lasso for the last year and half without pay, but
>promise of stock. I am trying to evaluate what my software effort
>might be if I had billed the number of hours spent at some reasonable
>rate. I am in legal discussions to strengthen my stock position on
>the basis of what my intellectual property (software) is worth.
>
>It has been about 5-7 years since I charged for such development
>(mostly been working with startups since then). Back then I billed at
>$75 per hour. In the last seven years, I expect nominal rates for
>such development might have changed.
>
>I am not asking for anyone to divulge their actual rates, but would
>like to know what people in the Lasso group think the going rate
>range might be currently.
>
>Is $75 per hour still reasonable or has it come down or gone up.
>
>Please email me directly, if anyone is willing to offer suggestions.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Fred Weinhaus

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: [OT] Billing Rates

m i l e s
Fred,

Steve makes a valid point in terms of rates.  I just moved to
San Francisco about 8 months ago now, and I had to raise my rates...

And those rates that steve quoted are not out of the realm of
possibility.

I was charging 75 in Northampton, when I moved here, that 75 an hour
noize
wasn't gonna fly...I don't know about you...but I like eating, oh yeah
and paying the rent....I personally wouldn't mind not paying the rent
but Im rather certain that the landlord would mind....jusst a leeetle
bit.

M i l e s.

---- LASSO DEVELOPER FOR HIRE: CHEAP RATES - NEEDS WORK ----
  *!- lasso tips for newbies - look fro them every monday -*
M i l e s                                [hidden email]
MagicMiles Software                         (413) 374 - 5161
http://www.magicmiles.com         AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles
I create content management systems for the rest of humanity,
starting at just $25 a month, includes domain registration,
web hosting, email and webmail -- PLUS -- * TOOLBOXENGINE*!

Re: [OT] Billing Rates

Doug Gentry
Miles - you had it right the first time. We should not be discussing
rates on this list.

....Doug Gentry

On May 24, 2005, at 4:46 PM, m i l e s wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Steve makes a valid point in terms of rates.  I just moved to
> San Francisco about 8 months ago now, and I had to raise my rates...

---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Re: [OT] Billing Rates

m i l e s
Ooops!

My bad, that was supposed to go to Fred privately..

Sorry list!

M i l e s.