[OT AJAX] Floating DIV

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
I have seen it but don't remember where, not even sure its
necessarily AJAX: user hovers an element, typically a link, and a
floating layer, following the mouse's position within the elements
boundaries, pops up displaying detailed info for the hovered element.

Can anybody point me in some direction regarding this?

Thanks in advance, Nikolaj

_____________________________________
Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
http://www.musicmedia.dk

Re: [OT AJAX] Floating DIV

Marc Pinnell-3
On http://www.bigstockphoto.com it looks to be straight javascript. I
have seen it a few other places....

Marc

On May 7, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> I have seen it but don't remember where, not even sure its
> necessarily AJAX: user hovers an element, typically a link, and a
> floating layer, following the mouse's position within the elements
> boundaries, pops up displaying detailed info for the hovered element.
>
> Can anybody point me in some direction regarding this?
>
> Thanks in advance, Nikolaj
>
> _____________________________________
> Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
> Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
> http://www.musicmedia.dk

Re: [OT AJAX] Floating DIV

Paul Melia
There are a ton of links on Google for this effect.

Here are some to explore:

http://boxover.swazz.org/
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/js_floating_dimming_div.asp

A pure CSS solution: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/
demo.html

HTH,
Paul

On May 7, 2006, at 7:39 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> I have seen it but don't remember where, not even sure its
> necessarily AJAX: user hovers an element, typically a link, and a
> floating layer, following the mouse's position within the elements
> boundaries, pops up displaying detailed info for the hovered element.
>
> Can anybody point me in some direction regarding this?
>
> Thanks in advance, Nikolaj
>
> _____________________________________
> Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
> Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
> http://www.musicmedia.dk

Re: [OT AJAX] Floating DIV

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Marc, Paul,

Thank you for your quick replies, you are right Paul, I should have
done a little more research myself at first :)

http://boxover.swazz.org/
this one is very perfect and exactly what I had in mind. I guess I
just pull the extra data I want to show in the divs at page load and
stores it in the html/css the way BoxOver does it, no need to do
asyncronous requests for data and stuff like that I haven't really
looked into yet...?

/nikolaj

_____________________________________
Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
http://www.musicmedia.dk

Re: [OT AJAX] Floating DIV

Paul Melia
Hi Nicholas,

I didn't mean to imply that you need to search more, just that if the
links I shared were not enough, there were plenty more options out
there.
As for the boxover solution, how you wan to populate the popups is up
to you.

You can pre-populate them statically (hard coded into the page),
dynamically (have Lasso fill them at page load) or you could use AJAX
to populate them at the moment the user triggers them (you would need
to add a javascript trigger to call the Ajax function and there could
be a momentary delay in the contents of the div appearing depending
on whether you are calling remote data at the time of triggering, etc)

Hope all works out for you,
Paul

On May 7, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Marc, Paul,
>
> Thank you for your quick replies, you are right Paul, I should have
> done a little more research myself at first :)
>
> http://boxover.swazz.org/
> this one is very perfect and exactly what I had in mind. I guess I
> just pull the extra data I want to show in the divs at page load
> and stores it in the html/css the way BoxOver does it, no need to
> do asyncronous requests for data and stuff like that I haven't
> really looked into yet...?
>
> /nikolaj
>
> On 8. maj 2006, at 1:54, Paul Melia wrote:
>
>> There are a ton of links on Google for this effect.
>>
>> Here are some to explore:
>>
>> http://boxover.swazz.org/
>> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/js_floating_dimming_div.asp
>>
>> A pure CSS solution: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/
>> demo.html
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul
>
> _____________________________________
> Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
> Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
> http://www.musicmedia.dk

Re: [OT AJAX] Floating DIV

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Paul,

Just to say that I now use BoxOver with pre-populated values from
Lasso - I find it an amazing effect and very handy for whoever needs
to get some ekstra details for an entry in a list without even having
to do an AJAX-call (once the page is loaded).

Thanks again, Nikolaj