OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
Hei,

After some pause, I rejoined the list to ask this question. Nice to meet you
again.

I have trouble using OS_process. I moved the module to LassoModules,
restarted Lasso Service, created a user in the OS Process Users group.

Now I get the browser authentication prompt every time I try to run the
page. THe prompt says

   Enter the name and password for "Lasso Security" at www.mydomain.com

(where mydomain is my domain).

The code I use is like this:

inline: -username = 'myUser', -password = 'myPass';
    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/root/scripts/myscript.sh');
    Encode_HTML: $myProcess->Read;
    $myProcess->Close;
    'The script has been run!';
/inline;

If I replace this code with a trivial Lasso code (like date;) the page runs
without problem. So the problem must be connected with the OS_process tag.

What to do?

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
Have you checked the security on os_process users?  I would start
there.  Make sure your user is in that group.

On 27-Feb-09, at 4:34 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> If I replace this code with a trivial Lasso code (like date;) the
> page runs
> without problem. So the problem must be connected with the
> OS_process tag.
>
> What to do?

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

When you get the authentication prompt, enter the u/p that you have in your inline.  Do you authenticate?

If no, then the u/p is either incorrect or the u is not a member of a group that can use the os_process tag.

In the context of Lasso Security, os_process is very similar to the file_ tags.  So you can use my file perms guide, as well as the Language Guide, for further information.

http://www.stevepiercy.com/lasso_stuff/file_perms.lasso

--steve

On Friday, February 27, 2009, [hidden email] (Jussi Hirvi) pronounced:

>Hei,
>
>After some pause, I rejoined the list to ask this question. Nice to meet you
>again.
>
>I have trouble using OS_process. I moved the module to LassoModules,
>restarted Lasso Service, created a user in the OS Process Users group.
>
>Now I get the browser authentication prompt every time I try to run the
>page. THe prompt says
>
>   Enter the name and password for "Lasso Security" at www.mydomain.com
>
>(where mydomain is my domain).
>
>The code I use is like this:
>
>inline: -username = 'myUser', -password = 'myPass';
>    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/root/scripts/myscript.sh');
>    Encode_HTML: $myProcess->Read;
>    $myProcess->Close;
>    'The script has been run!';
>/inline;
>
>If I replace this code with a trivial Lasso code (like date;) the page runs
>without problem. So the problem must be connected with the OS_process tag.
>
>What to do?
>
>- Jussi

Re: OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
Ok, I solved some issues. The main issue was that the domain I was working
with was assigned to a different Lasso Site than I thought. :-)

Now the page runs ok, but the script seems to do nothing, when run with a
browser (though it works fine when run from the shell).

27.2.2009 11:44 Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder ([hidden email])
kirjoitteli:
> In the context of Lasso Security, os_process is very similar to the file_
> tags.  So you can use my file perms guide, as well as the Language Guide, for
> further information.
> http://www.stevepiercy.com/lasso_stuff/file_perms.lasso

Do I have to manually enable the needed file paths for the group "OS Process
Users"?

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
[hidden email] * http://www.greenspot.fi

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
I am not sure about the command to run that script.

 From page 530:

Var: 'os' = (OS_Process: 'cmd', (Array: '/C batch.bat');

You have to specify what method to use, then the parameters.  In this
case, the latter would point to that shell script, but I am not sure
what you have to call to run the script.

On 27-Feb-09, at 6:24 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> Do I have to manually enable the needed file paths for the group "OS
> Process
> Users"?

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
My command has no parameters - it is like this:
    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '../myscript.sh');
So no worries about parameters.

- Jussi

27.2.2009 13:29 Viaduct Productions ([hidden email])
kirjoitteli:
> I am not sure about the command to run that script.
>
> From page 530:
> Var: 'os' = (OS_Process: 'cmd', (Array: '/C batch.bat');
>
> You have to specify what method to use, then the parameters.  In this
> case, the latter would point to that shell script, but I am not sure
> what you have to call to run the script.

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
[hidden email] * http://www.greenspot.fi

Re: OS_process authentication

Let's see your tag and its parameters.

Otherwise just follow the example syntax in the Language Guide.

--steve

On Friday, February 27, 2009, [hidden email] (Jussi Hirvi) pronounced:

>Ok, I solved some issues. The main issue was that the domain I was working
>with was assigned to a different Lasso Site than I thought. :-)
>
>Now the page runs ok, but the script seems to do nothing, when run with a
>browser (though it works fine when run from the shell).
>
>27.2.2009 11:44 Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder ([hidden email])
>kirjoitteli:
>> In the context of Lasso Security, os_process is very similar to the file_
>> tags.  So you can use my file perms guide, as well as the Language Guide, for
>> further information.
>> http://www.stevepiercy.com/lasso_stuff/file_perms.lasso
>
>Do I have to manually enable the needed file paths for the group "OS Process
>Users"?
>
>- Jussi

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
Yes I know.  That might be the problem though.  It's like saying
"Computer:  /users/jussi/files/porkloin.txt'".  There's no indication
what you want to do, and you are assuming you want to open the file.
Your script file might need to be a parameter to run using a unix app.

On 27-Feb-09, at 6:32 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> My command has no parameters - it is like this:
>    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '../myscript.sh');
> So no worries about parameters.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
I didn't see any direct script called in the LG.

On 27-Feb-09, at 6:34 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Let's see your tag and its parameters.
>
> Otherwise just follow the example syntax in the Language Guide.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
Ok, I think the script has to be in the PATH - so far I tried the /root
directory, and the web directory.

    var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/bin/ls');

works for me, and shows the output in the browser window.

- Jussi

27.2.2009 13:35 Viaduct Productions ([hidden email])
kirjoitteli:
> I didn't see any direct script called in the LG.
>

> On 27-Feb-09, at 6:34 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> Let's see your tag and its parameters.
>>
>> Otherwise just follow the example syntax in the Language Guide.

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
[hidden email] * http://www.greenspot.fi

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
OK, but that isn't a script you are calling.  LS is an application.
It's a function.  I am just thinking that you have to do the same,
point to an application of some sort, and then use your script as a
file.  I could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.
I've used os_process for various things, and she's a tricky one, but
I've never called a script.

On 27-Feb-09, at 6:39 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> Ok, I think the script has to be in the PATH - so far I tried the /
> root
> directory, and the web directory.
>
>    var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/bin/ls');
>
> works for me, and shows the output in the browser window.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
I think I'm back to square one: how to trigger my own shell script with
browser? Do I have to compile it to make it work?? I've never done that
before.

- Jussi

27.2.2009 13:39 Jussi Hirvi ([hidden email]) kirjoitteli:
> Ok, I think the script has to be in the PATH - so far I tried the /root
> directory, and the web directory.
>
> var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/bin/ls');
>
> works for me, and shows the output in the browser window.

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
[hidden email] * http://www.greenspot.fi

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
No it's not about compilation.  It's about finding the right
os_process way of launching it, as opposed to just calling it.  I'm
sure someone will poke in here.

Try /bin/bash.

On 27-Feb-09, at 6:47 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> I think I'm back to square one: how to trigger my own shell script
> with
> browser? Do I have to compile it to make it work?? I've never done
> that
> before.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
Ok, I got forward with this. I first tested with
    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/bin/pwd');

(pwd shows the current directory)

..and from the output I found out that the "current" dir is the Lasso Site,
inside the Lasso\ Professional\ ... etc. etc. folder (why on earth such long
names??).

Then I made a new subfolder in there, called JussiScripts, and put my new
script in there. I can now trigger it like this:

    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: './JussiScripts/MyScript.sh');

The problem is only that I cannot accomplish what I want - to correct
(chmod) the privileges in the www root directory of this www site. If I try
that, the www page (supposed to launch the script) hangs.

Apparently the Lasso user does not have enough privileges for chmod.

- Jussi

27.2.2009 13:56 Viaduct Productions ([hidden email])
kirjoitteli:

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
[hidden email] * http://www.greenspot.fi

Re: OS_process authentication

Here is an example.

ls.lasso
--------
<code>
[
inline(
    -username='os_process_user',
    -password='os_process_pass',
    -nothing
);
// use the filesystem-relative path to the command
    var('myprocess2') = os_process('/Library/WebServer/Documents/site/lsal.sh');
    encode_break($myprocess2->read);
    $myprocess2->isopen;
    $myprocess2->close;
/inline;
]
</code>

lsal.sh
--------
#!/bin/bash
# all shell scripts must begin with the above line in order to invoke your shell and user profile

# also shell scripts might have problems with the BOM of UTF-8 files, so try saving it without a BOM.

#print the current directory
pwd

# list all items in the current directory in long format
ls -al .

-------

Make lsal.sh executable by changing its system file perms to whatever works (start with 555, then make it more secure).

==>

/Applications/Lasso Professional 8/LassoSites/default-1
total 1240
drwxrwxr-x 13 lasso admin 442 Feb 23 07:22 .
drwxrwxr-x 5 lasso admin 170 Oct 30 19:16 ..
-rw-rw-r--@ 1 stevepiercy admin 6148 Feb 23 07:28 .DS_Store
drwxrwxr-x 2 lasso admin 68 Jul 16 2005 JDBCDrivers
drwxrwxr-x 2 lasso admin 68 Jul 16 2005 JavaLibraries
drwxrwxr-x 2 lasso admin 68 Jul 16 2005 LassoAdmin
drwxrwxr-x 2 lasso admin 68 Aug 10 2005 LassoApps
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lasso admin 625243 Feb 27 04:16 LassoErrors.txt
drwxrwxr-x 3 lasso admin 102 Nov 5 03:46 LassoLibraries
drwxrwxr-x 2 lasso admin 68 Jul 16 2005 LassoModules
drwxrwxr-x 8 lasso admin 272 Feb 23 07:24 LassoStartup
drwxrwxr-x 12 lasso admin 408 Feb 27 04:31 SQLiteDBs

Note that the output of the current directory is relative to the current Lasso Site.

This actually makes me curious to try the montage command again.  I mean, if you write a shell script that does what you want, just fire off an os_process to the shell script, and you're golden.  That of course means learning how to do basic shell scripting, but it would work.

--steve

On Friday, February 27, 2009, [hidden email] (Jussi Hirvi) pronounced:

>I think I'm back to square one: how to trigger my own shell script with
>browser? Do I have to compile it to make it work?? I've never done that
>before.
>
>- Jussi
>
>27.2.2009 13:39 Jussi Hirvi ([hidden email]) kirjoitteli:
>> Ok, I think the script has to be in the PATH - so far I tried the /root
>> directory, and the web directory.
>>
>> var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: '/bin/ls');
>>
>> works for me, and shows the output in the browser window.

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
OK then, it has to do with where os_process has its point of view.
When I call third party apps, I have to consider that as well.  Good
to know you can launch a bash shell directly as well.

On 27-Feb-09, at 7:37 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> Then I made a new subfolder in there, called JussiScripts, and put
> my new
> script in there. I can now trigger it like this:
>
>    Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: './JussiScripts/MyScript.sh');

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

jasonhuck
I always found it a little confusing that [os_process] had the Lasso
application folder as it's pwd instead of the web root from which it's
called (since that's most often where you want to manipulate
something). That's why I change it automatically right off the bat in
the [shell] wrapper tag. I also find it a lot easier to just spawn a
terminal than to interact directly with whatever process I'm using, so
that I can directly transfer whatever works on the command line to the
tag.

http://tagswap.net/shell/

- jason

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Viaduct Productions
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK then, it has to do with where os_process has its point of view.  When I
> call third party apps, I have to consider that as well.  Good to know you
> can launch a bash shell directly as well.
>
> On 27-Feb-09, at 7:37 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
>
>> Then I made a new subfolder in there, called JussiScripts, and put my new
>> script in there. I can now trigger it like this:
>>
>>   Var: 'myProcess' = (OS_Process: './JussiScripts/MyScript.sh');
>

> Rich in Toronto
> ...now go get on your bike

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
I originally thought os_process was about terminal control, as opposed
to the whole library of potential uses.  When I first saw your tag, I
thought the cd command was to give it a fixed scope, and that the
os_process had no current viewpoint.

Oh I am so looking forward to 9.  "9 is the new 5!"

On 27-Feb-09, at 7:48 AM, Jason Huck wrote:

> I also find it a lot easier to just spawn a
> terminal than to interact directly with whatever process I'm using, so
> that I can directly transfer whatever works on the command line to the
> tag.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: OS_process authentication

Jussi Hirvi
27.2.2009 14:39 Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder ([hidden email])
kirjoitteli:
> Here is an example.

Ok, but it seems that ls is easy to trigger. I cannot trigger the chmod
command at all. ls is not so much fun yet. :-)

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
[hidden email] * http://www.greenspot.fi

Re: OS_process authentication

Viaduct Productions
os_process can have multiple commands, so you can interact with a
multi-command session.  It's tricky, and I had to test it through and
through to make sure things were going on properly.  Perhaps you can
get into su and try it that way.  I don't know, just speculating.