OS X Server 9 - use stock apache, etc?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OS X Server 9 - use stock apache, etc?

Robert Carpenter
Hey Lassoers-

Loooong time since I've posted, glad to see some familiar names still here. Hope I can hit folks up for some wisdom before rolling out a new server.

The time has come to upgrade from our current production web XServe to something newer and more appropriate for our needs. So I've got a newish Mac Mini server, running OS X Server 9 and mirrored SSDs with a nice chunk of RAM. What I'm wondering is:

- Any gotchas to watch out for running Lasso 8.6 on OS X Server 9? Nothing too esoteric, except maybe a few spots using the image tags and some crypto stuff in some hand-rolled tags I made to interact with Amazon's SES email service.

- Am I better off using the stock Apache, etc., or if I should load or compile my own? Our current setup uses the stock apache in 10.6 server(!), it's worked fine except for the PITA factor of having ServerAdmin stomp on my custom vhost .conf files if I'm not careful.

- I'll be using MySQL for most data storage. Box will also be running a few WordPress sites (ugh, PHP) and likely some python-based apps via flask and django.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

-Robert-

#############################################################
Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2014!
October 1-3, 2014 at Treefrog HQ, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-newmarket-2014

#############################################################

This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OS X Server 9 - use stock apache, etc?

Lars A. Gundersen-2
Hi!

Any *other* reason why you use Mac OS X Server as opposed to the standard client version? It is not needed for Lasso/Apache, and as you say, the server software installed might even interfere with your setup. I ran Lasso, Apache and mySQL on Mac OS X client for many years without a problem, and never had reason to install my own version of Apache.
But regardless, when you upgrade between major Mac OS X versions, the installer will usually place new versions of the Apache config files in the config directories, so be sure to back them up before you so upgrade.

Lars

On 2. juli 2014, at 22:13, Robert Carpenter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Lassoers-
>
> Loooong time since I've posted, glad to see some familiar names still here. Hope I can hit folks up for some wisdom before rolling out a new server.
>
> The time has come to upgrade from our current production web XServe to something newer and more appropriate for our needs. So I've got a newish Mac Mini server, running OS X Server 9 and mirrored SSDs with a nice chunk of RAM. What I'm wondering is:
>
> - Any gotchas to watch out for running Lasso 8.6 on OS X Server 9? Nothing too esoteric, except maybe a few spots using the image tags and some crypto stuff in some hand-rolled tags I made to interact with Amazon's SES email service.
>
> - Am I better off using the stock Apache, etc., or if I should load or compile my own? Our current setup uses the stock apache in 10.6 server(!), it's worked fine except for the PITA factor of having ServerAdmin stomp on my custom vhost .conf files if I'm not careful.
>
> - I'll be using MySQL for most data storage. Box will also be running a few WordPress sites (ugh, PHP) and likely some python-based apps via flask and django.
>
> Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!
>
> -Robert-
>
> #############################################################
> Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2014!
> October 1-3, 2014 at Treefrog HQ, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
> http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-newmarket-2014
>
> #############################################################
>
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
> the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
> Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

#############################################################
Attend the Lasso Developer Conference 2014!
October 1-3, 2014 at Treefrog HQ, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-newmarket-2014

#############################################################

This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>