Newbie to Lasso

Matthew Robbins
Hello,

I have installed Lasso following all the instructions in the Getting
Started Guide but when I create my first sample page all I get is this
- 'String: 'Hello World']' The service is running, I have checked
using the set up Guide to see if everything was configured correctly
and it all seemed to checkout.  I obviously have some going on that is
working. Can anyone help me?

Also I installed the Examples Pack and went to the
/ExamplesPack/index.lasso page and this is the error I get:
Warning: No examples were found. Check to be sure one or more examples
folders have been installed and that Lasso has permission to read
those folders. If you are running WebSTAR V you need to add * to list
of File Tags Extensions in the Setup > Site > File Extensions section
of Lasso Site Administration.

How do I set the permissions for Lasso to read the folders?

Thanks,
Matt Robbins

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

stevepiercy
Matt,

Which operating system?

Which web server?

Can you visit these URLs?
<http://localhost/serveradmin.lassoapp>
<http://localhost/siteadmin.lassoapp>

Can you paste the code from your first sample page?

--steve

On Wednesday, August 2, 2006, [hidden email] (Matthew Robbins) pronounced:

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

Jussi Hirvi
Matthew Robbins ([hidden email]) kirjoitteli (3.8.2006 07:57):
> I have installed Lasso following all the instructions in the Getting
> Started Guide but when I create my first sample page all I get is this
> - 'String: 'Hello World']' The service is running, I have checked
> using the set up Guide to see if everything was configured correctly
> and it all seemed to checkout.  I obviously have some going on that is
> working. Can anyone help me?

Welcome to Lasso and LassoTalk, I hope you will enjoy both! I have been more
or less around for maybe 7 years, and this list never fails! Well, sometimes
I didn't get an answer right away but had to remind the list first. Anyway
this list has saved me many times already.

What is the file suffix of your test file? If it's .lasso, there's probably
no problem related to it. If it's .html, you have to make sure that Lasso
processes files with that suffix.

In Lasso 6 this can be set on the admin page Setup > Global settings >
Settings. Could be something similar in L8.x.

Regards,
Jussi Hirvi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

Matthew Robbins
Hello Steve,

I am using win xp, w/ iis. I can also visit the URL's listed below.

Matt

On 8/3/06, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Which operating system?
>
> Which web server?
>
> Can you visit these URLs?
> <http://localhost/serveradmin.lassoapp>
> <http://localhost/siteadmin.lassoapp>
>
> Can you paste the code from your first sample page?
>
> --steve
>

> On Wednesday, August 2, 2006, [hidden email] (Matthew Robbins)
> pronounced:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have installed Lasso following all the instructions in the Getting
> >Started Guide but when I create my first sample page all I get is this
> >- 'String: 'Hello World']' The service is running, I have checked
> >using the set up Guide to see if everything was configured correctly
> >and it all seemed to checkout.  I obviously have some going on that is
> >working. Can anyone help me?
> >
> >Also I installed the Examples Pack and went to the
> >/ExamplesPack/index.lasso page and this is the error I get:
> >Warning: No examples were found. Check to be sure one or more examples
> >folders have been installed and that Lasso has permission to read
> >those folders. If you are running WebSTAR V you need to add * to list
> >of File Tags Extensions in the Setup > Site > File Extensions section
> >of Lasso Site Administration.
> >
> >How do I set the permissions for Lasso to read the folders?
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Matt Robbins
> >
> >------------------------------
> >LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> >Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> >2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on
> the web.
> >http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>
>
> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on
> the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

Cory Robin-2
Matt,

Welcome to the wonderful world of lasso!  ;)    I see there already have
been several responses to your email, you're in capable hands.   If you
need anything, feel free to contact me.

Cory.

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

Ke Carlton
Welcome to the list,

In IIS Admin go to: Site -> Properties -> Home Directory -> Configuration

Check that .lasso is mapped to: C:\WINNT\system32\Lasso8ConnectorforIIS.dll
(or similar) and that GET, POST is enabled and "check file exists" is
unchecked.

If you want lasso to process other extensions you can add them here -
although you will also need to enable those extensions in
siteAdmin.lassoapp.

Lasso is working if you can access siteAdmin.lassoapp

[String: 'Is it working?']

Ke

I am using win xp, w/ iis. I can also visit the URL's listed below.

Matt

On 8/3/06, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Which operating system?
>
> Which web server?
>
> Can you visit these URLs?
> <http://localhost/serveradmin.lassoapp>
> <http://localhost/siteadmin.lassoapp>
>
> Can you paste the code from your first sample page?
>
> --steve
>

> On Wednesday, August 2, 2006, [hidden email] (Matthew Robbins)
> pronounced:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have installed Lasso following all the instructions in the Getting
> >Started Guide but when I create my first sample page all I get is this
> >- 'String: 'Hello World']' The service is running, I have checked
> >using the set up Guide to see if everything was configured correctly
> >and it all seemed to checkout.  I obviously have some going on that is
> >working. Can anyone help me?
> >
> >Also I installed the Examples Pack and went to the
> >/ExamplesPack/index.lasso page and this is the error I get:
> >Warning: No examples were found. Check to be sure one or more examples
> >folders have been installed and that Lasso has permission to read
> >those folders. If you are running WebSTAR V you need to add * to list
> >of File Tags Extensions in the Setup > Site > File Extensions section
> >of Lasso Site Administration.
> >
> >How do I set the permissions for Lasso to read the folders?
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Matt Robbins
> >
> >------------------------------
> >LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> >Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> >2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on
> the web.
> >http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>
>
> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on
> the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on
the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

Jon Harris
Hi Matt

Welcome to Lasso! I hope you find the list helpful. It's the friendliest
list I know (honest)

If you want an example of an unfriendly list try joining the Qmail (a
linux mailserver) list. Unless you can re-program a hard drive with a
magnet you'll get flamed before you 've posted your first question.

If you are using iis/pws you should put your files in the
c:\inetpub\wwwroot folder,

1. Start with an html file and make sure your PC can serve the file.
http://127.0.0.1/myfile.html

2. If that works OK, just rename the file to myfile.lasso and try the
url again.

3. If that works ok, try embedding some Lasso code in the file.

[var: 'sample' = 'hello world']
[$sample]

Let us know where it stops working. Which I suspect it is at number 2.
In which case you wil probably have  to add the lassoconnector.dll as
the handler for .lasso files.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Jon Harris

I am using win xp, w/ iis. I can also visit the URL's listed below.

Matt

On 8/3/06, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Which operating system?
>
> Which web server?
>
> Can you visit these URLs?
> <http://localhost/serveradmin.lassoapp>
> <http://localhost/siteadmin.lassoapp>
>
> Can you paste the code from your first sample page?
>
> --steve
>

> On Wednesday, August 2, 2006, [hidden email] (Matthew Robbins)
> pronounced:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have installed Lasso following all the instructions in the Getting
> >Started Guide but when I create my first sample page all I get is
> >this
> >- 'String: 'Hello World']' The service is running, I have checked
> >using the set up Guide to see if everything was configured correctly
> >and it all seemed to checkout.  I obviously have some going on that
> >is working. Can anyone help me?
> >
> >Also I installed the Examples Pack and went to the
> >/ExamplesPack/index.lasso page and this is the error I get:
> >Warning: No examples were found. Check to be sure one or more
> >examples folders have been installed and that Lasso has permission to

> >read those folders. If you are running WebSTAR V you need to add * to

> >list of File Tags Extensions in the Setup > Site > File Extensions
> >section of Lasso Site Administration.
> >
> >How do I set the permissions for Lasso to read the folders?
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Matt Robbins
> >
> >------------------------------
> >LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> >Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> >2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> >data on
> the web.
> >http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>
>
> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data

> on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data
on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Newbie to Lasso

Matthew Robbins
Hello,

Thanks for responding everyone.  Sorry it took me awhile to respond. I
do not have much time to spend on learning Lasso. So I take every
chance I can get.

I tried every thing that was said and it still wasn't working. Then I
realized I missed typed the code and so it didn't work.  It is working
just fine.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

On 8/3/06, Jon Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Matt
>
> Welcome to Lasso! I hope you find the list helpful. It's the friendliest
> list I know (honest)
>
> If you want an example of an unfriendly list try joining the Qmail (a
> linux mailserver) list. Unless you can re-program a hard drive with a
> magnet you'll get flamed before you 've posted your first question.
>
> If you are using iis/pws you should put your files in the
> c:\inetpub\wwwroot folder,
>
> 1. Start with an html file and make sure your PC can serve the file.
> http://127.0.0.1/myfile.html
>
> 2. If that works OK, just rename the file to myfile.lasso and try the
> url again.
>
> 3. If that works ok, try embedding some Lasso code in the file.
>
> [var: 'sample' = 'hello world']
> [$sample]
>
> Let us know where it stops working. Which I suspect it is at number 2.
> In which case you wil probably have  to add the lassoconnector.dll as
> the handler for .lasso files.
>
> Good luck and let us know how you get on.
>
> Regards
>
> Jon Harris

pass parameter with include

Jeremy Reynolds-2
I am doing a page include-- not an external url include.

But I want to pass a parameter (action_param) to the included page.
How would I code that?

Jeremy

Re: pass parameter with include

Fletcher Sandbeck
On 2006-08-29 at 14:05 by [hidden email] (Jeremy Reynolds):

>I am doing a page include-- not an external url include.
>
>But I want to pass a parameter (action_param) to the included page.
>How would I code that?

You can surround the [Include] with [Inline] ... [/Inline] tags.  The [Action_Param] tag will pull its values from the nearest surrounding inline tags.

[Inline: 'param'='value']
  [Include: 'myfile.lasso']
[/Inline]

Hope this helps,

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: pass parameter with include

Paul Melia

On Aug 29, 2006, at 2:05 PM, Jeremy Reynolds wrote:

> I am doing a page include-- not an external url include.
>
> But I want to pass a parameter (action_param) to the included page.
> How would I code that?
>
> Jeremy

cast the [action_param] to a [variable] and then call the variable in
the included page.

Just make sure you do the casting BEFORE the include.

HTH,
Paul

Jeremy Reynolds wrote:
> I am doing a page include-- not an external url include.
>
> But I want to pass a parameter (action_param) to the included page. How
> would I code that?

By default, all action_params are available in the included page.  Where it becomes a problem is when you have inlines, the outmost action_params will not be available inside an inline.  If the action_param you're looking to retrieve is something from the user (i.e. something passed to the page via a URL or form), then this tag will allow you to access them from within inlines and includes:

  <http://tagswap.net/lp_client_param>

Re: pass parameter with include

Jeremy Reynolds-2
That worked.  Thank you.