Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.

Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.

The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.

Is there a more graceful way to do this?

Patrick Larkin
Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
Bethlehem Area School District

Re: Network change hell

James Harvard
>I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>
>Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>
>The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>
>Is there a more graceful way to do this?

I don't know, but I doubt Lasso really cares too much about its own IP. Assuming you've at restarted the servers since the IP change, I would be tempted to look elsewhere.

Some random thoughts for you to consider!

Have you looked carefully at your HTTP server (Apache?) config to make sure that's not got any IP-specific stuff in it. Are you sure you've changed the IP in all the necessary places in the OS?

IIRC Lasso Admin could be slow to load if it couldn't contact a db server. Have you got a network / firewall / MySQL permissions problem that means the db isn't allowing connections from the Lasso server's new IP?

Any proxies involved? Can you get static content from the web server? Can you get responses from a) the web server b) Lasso when accessing from localhost (i.e. a browser on the problem server).

Are you accessing Lasso admin via the new IP address or using a hostname? I would use the IP if possible as at least that eliminates any potential DNS problem in loading the site.

Ah - but then I think you need to use a hostname to get the correct Lasso site up, if you're accessing SiteAdmin.LassoApp. Can you access ServerAdmin.LassoApp though?

Good luck,
James Harvard

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
Web servers addresses remain unchanged.  They each have a backend IP which connects to multiple Filemaker and MySQL hosts.  They are the ones that have changed.

I finally got the Lasso 8.5 box to work again.  The Lasso 6 machine won't do anything.  Won't load the admin console.  Won't even run any Lasso app (gives an internal 500 error).  I stop the Lasso service manually and start it again.  Lasso says it couldn't start the service.  If I try and start it again, it says it's already running.  But I still get a 500 error.

The Lasso server has no idea how to contact the new database hosts.  The config still has the old IPs and I cannot get in to change them.  When I did manage to get in earlier, it wouldn't allow me to change the IP info, it just sat there loading forever.

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:55 AM, James Harvard wrote:

>> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>>
>> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>>
>> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>>
>> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>
> I don't know, but I doubt Lasso really cares too much about its own IP. Assuming you've at restarted the servers since the IP change, I would be tempted to look elsewhere.
>
> Some random thoughts for you to consider!
>
> Have you looked carefully at your HTTP server (Apache?) config to make sure that's not got any IP-specific stuff in it. Are you sure you've changed the IP in all the necessary places in the OS?
>
> IIRC Lasso Admin could be slow to load if it couldn't contact a db server. Have you got a network / firewall / MySQL permissions problem that means the db isn't allowing connections from the Lasso server's new IP?
>
> Any proxies involved? Can you get static content from the web server? Can you get responses from a) the web server b) Lasso when accessing from localhost (i.e. a browser on the problem server).
>
> Are you accessing Lasso admin via the new IP address or using a hostname? I would use the IP if possible as at least that eliminates any potential DNS problem in loading the site.
>
> Ah - but then I think you need to use a hostname to get the correct Lasso site up, if you're accessing SiteAdmin.LassoApp. Can you access ServerAdmin.LassoApp though?
>
> Good luck,
> James Harvard

Re: Network change hell

maxwellk2
If you're running OS X Server you need to do a changeip from the command line:

        http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=1506

On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:02 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>
> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>
> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>
> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District

Re: Network change hell

Jim Sheffer-3
Patrick-

This is one of the reasons I always use "Hostnames" for my addresses for my MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not worry about code changes.

James is correct - If Lasso cannot connect to the DB servers, the admin can run VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.

If you cannot load the admin at all, something may be cached somewhere in your network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.

I don't run OSX server (If your even on a mac) but there is a change you need to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...

Can you connect to the DB servers directly (without Lasso) on the new IP addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have several hosts set up in Lasso.

James Sheffer,

The HigherPowered Team!

[hidden email]          [hidden email]
Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
phone:  469-256-0268
 "We help businesses succeed on the web!"

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> Web servers addresses remain unchanged.  They each have a backend IP which connects to multiple Filemaker and MySQL hosts.  They are the ones that have changed.
>
> I finally got the Lasso 8.5 box to work again.  The Lasso 6 machine won't do anything.  Won't load the admin console.  Won't even run any Lasso app (gives an internal 500 error).  I stop the Lasso service manually and start it again.  Lasso says it couldn't start the service.  If I try and start it again, it says it's already running.  But I still get a 500 error.
>
> The Lasso server has no idea how to contact the new database hosts.  The config still has the old IPs and I cannot get in to change them.  When I did manage to get in earlier, it wouldn't allow me to change the IP info, it just sat there loading forever.
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:55 AM, James Harvard wrote:
>
>>> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>>>
>>> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>>>
>>> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>>>
>>> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>>
>> I don't know, but I doubt Lasso really cares too much about its own IP. Assuming you've at restarted the servers since the IP change, I would be tempted to look elsewhere.
>>
>> Some random thoughts for you to consider!
>>
>> Have you looked carefully at your HTTP server (Apache?) config to make sure that's not got any IP-specific stuff in it. Are you sure you've changed the IP in all the necessary places in the OS?
>>
>> IIRC Lasso Admin could be slow to load if it couldn't contact a db server. Have you got a network / firewall / MySQL permissions problem that means the db isn't allowing connections from the Lasso server's new IP?
>>
>> Any proxies involved? Can you get static content from the web server? Can you get responses from a) the web server b) Lasso when accessing from localhost (i.e. a browser on the problem server).
>>
>> Are you accessing Lasso admin via the new IP address or using a hostname? I would use the IP if possible as at least that eliminates any potential DNS problem in loading the site.
>>
>> Ah - but then I think you need to use a hostname to get the correct Lasso site up, if you're accessing SiteAdmin.LassoApp. Can you access ServerAdmin.LassoApp though?
>>
>> Good luck,
>> James Harvard

Re: Network change hell

Jim Sheffer-3

Sorry for the re-post -  - Somehow I got the subject of my last response to the list :-)

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> If you're running OS X Server you need to do a changeip from the command line:
>
> http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=1506
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:02 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>
>> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>>
>> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>>
>> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>>
>> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>>

>> Patrick Larkin
>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>> Bethlehem Area School District

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
All IPs are changed and I can ping everything or RDC into them.  That's not the issue.  The issue now seems to be Lasso Admin and continuous thrashing and never saving.

I bring up my list of hosts, change the IP, hit Save and it never saves.  Just constantly loads.

I'm not sure exactly what Lasso Admin is doing.  That was the real purpose of my question.  Does Lasso admin go out and poll every host and wait for a response?  I'm not clear on why a simple update to a database table (host IP) is taking so long and in the end never executing.

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:

> Sorry for the re-post -  - Somehow I got the subject of my last response to the list :-)
> Patrick-
>
> This is one of the reasons I always use "Hostnames" for my addresses for my MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not worry about code changes.
>
> James is correct - If Lasso cannot connect to the DB servers, the admin can run VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.
>
> If you cannot load the admin at all, something may be cached somewhere in your network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.
>
> I don't run OSX server (If your even on a mac) but there is a change you need to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...
>
> Can you connect to the DB servers directly (without Lasso) on the new IP addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have several hosts set up in Lasso.
>

> James Sheffer,
>
> The HigherPowered Team!
>
> [hidden email]          [hidden email]
> Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
> phone:  469-256-0268
> "We help businesses succeed on the web!"
>        -------------------------------------------
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>
>> If you're running OS X Server you need to do a changeip from the command line:
>>
>> http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=1506
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:02 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>>
>>> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>>>
>>> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>>>
>>> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>>>
>>> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>>>

>>> Patrick Larkin
>>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>>> Bethlehem Area School District
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
By the way, I tried disabling the host and then changing the IP.  I tried the opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the backend network hoping that it would eventually time out and give me the admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has worked.  Just continuous thrash.

Patrick Larkin
Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
Bethlehem Area School District

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:

> Sorry for the re-post -  - Somehow I got the subject of my last response to the list :-)
> Patrick-
>
> This is one of the reasons I always use "Hostnames" for my addresses for my MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not worry about code changes.
>
> James is correct - If Lasso cannot connect to the DB servers, the admin can run VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.
>
> If you cannot load the admin at all, something may be cached somewhere in your network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.
>
> I don't run OSX server (If your even on a mac) but there is a change you need to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...
>
> Can you connect to the DB servers directly (without Lasso) on the new IP addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have several hosts set up in Lasso.
>

> James Sheffer,
>
> The HigherPowered Team!
>
> [hidden email]          [hidden email]
> Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
> phone:  469-256-0268
> "We help businesses succeed on the web!"
>        -------------------------------------------
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>
>> If you're running OS X Server you need to do a changeip from the command line:
>>
>> http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=1506
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:02 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>>
>>> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as the backend interface on my web servers.
>>>
>>> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>>>
>>> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading after clicking update.
>>>
>>> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>>>

>>> Patrick Larkin
>>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>>> Bethlehem Area School District
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

Jim Sheffer-3
Partick-

I know this doesn't seem very possible being that all you did was to change the IP address, but it could be that Lasso Admin files are corrupt.  I've only had it happen once, and that was during a server change, but a corrupt admin file will reek all kinds of havoc!

Maybe you can try rebuilding the admin settings from scratch in a new "Admin Site" (If you can get into it at all :-)

Jim

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:15 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> All IPs are changed and I can ping everything or RDC into them.  That's not the issue.  The issue now seems to be Lasso Admin and continuous thrashing and never saving.
>
> I bring up my list of hosts, change the IP, hit Save and it never saves.  Just constantly loads.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what Lasso Admin is doing.  That was the real purpose of my question.  Does Lasso admin go out and poll every host and wait for a response?  I'm not clear on why a simple update to a database table (host IP) is taking so long and in the end never executing.
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:
>

>> Sorry for the re-post -  - Somehow I got the subject of my last response to the list :-)
>> Patrick-
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I always use "Hostnames" for my addresses for my MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not worry about code changes.
>>
>> James is correct - If Lasso cannot connect to the DB servers, the admin can run VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.
>>
>> If you cannot load the admin at all, something may be cached somewhere in your network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.
>>
>> I don't run OSX server (If your even on a mac) but there is a change you need to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...
>>
>> Can you connect to the DB servers directly (without Lasso) on the new IP addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have several hosts set up in Lasso.
>>

>> James Sheffer,
>>
>> The HigherPowered Team!
>>
>> [hidden email]          [hidden email]
>> Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
>> phone:  469-256-0268
>> "We help businesses succeed on the web!"
>>       -------------------------------------------
>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>
>>> If you're running OS X Server you need to do a changeip from the command line:
>>>
>>> http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=1506

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

Kevin Bice
Peter,
This sounds like the problem I had when I had to move my servers last
year. I finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and changed
the host IP there. Restarted it and all was fine - after a couple of
hours of pulling my hair out.
Kevin Bice
512-879-1653
http://fmpweb.com
Web Development and Design

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> By the way, I tried disabling the host and then changing the IP.  I
> tried the opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the backend
> network hoping that it would eventually time out and give me the
> admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has worked.  Just continuous
> thrash.
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:
>

>> Sorry for the re-post -  - Somehow I got the subject of my last
>> response to the list :-)
>> Patrick-
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I always use "Hostnames" for my
>> addresses for my MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to
>> do is change the DNS tables and not worry about code changes.
>>
>> James is correct - If Lasso cannot connect to the DB servers, the
>> admin can run VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.
>>
>> If you cannot load the admin at all, something may be cached
>> somewhere in your network.  I can't see any reason that changing
>> the IP address (and restarting the server) would make any
>> difference to Lasso loading It's admin.
>>
>> I don't run OSX server (If your even on a mac) but there is a
>> change you need to make when changing IP addresses - I can't
>> remember what it is...
>>
>> Can you connect to the DB servers directly (without Lasso) on the
>> new IP addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there...
>> Like I stated above, Lasso does not like it when it cannot connect
>> to the DB servers, especially if you have several hosts set up in
>> Lasso.
>>

>> James Sheffer,
>>
>> The HigherPowered Team!
>>
>> [hidden email]          [hidden email]
>> Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
>> phone:  469-256-0268
>> "We help businesses succeed on the web!"
>>        -------------------------------------------
>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>
>>> If you're running OS X Server you need to do a changeip from the
>>> command line:
>>>
>>> http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=1506

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
I was thinking that too.  How do I get into the internal LassoMySQL again?  (It's Lasso 6)

On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Kevin Bice wrote:

> Peter,
> This sounds like the problem I had when I had to move my servers last year. I finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and changed the host IP there. Restarted it and all was fine - after a couple of hours of pulling my hair out.
> Kevin Bice
> 512-879-1653
> http://fmpweb.com
> Web Development and Design
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>
>> By the way, I tried disabling the host and then changing the IP.  I tried the opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the backend network hoping that it would eventually time out and give me the admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has worked.  Just continuous thrash.
>>

>> Patrick Larkin
>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>> Bethlehem Area School District
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry for the re-post -  - Somehow I got the subject of my last response to the list :-)
>>> Patrick-
>>>
>>> This is one of the reasons I always use "Hostnames" for my addresses for my MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not worry about code changes.
>>>
>>> James is correct - If Lasso cannot connect to the DB servers, the admin can run VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.
>>>
>>> If you cannot load the admin at all, something may be cached somewhere in your network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.
>>>
>>> I don't run OSX server (If your even on a mac) but there is a change you need to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...
>>>
>>> Can you connect to the DB servers directly (without Lasso) on the new IP addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have several hosts set up in Lasso.
>>>

>>> James Sheffer,
>>>
>>> The HigherPowered Team!
>>>
>>> [hidden email]          [hidden email]
>>> Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
>>> phone:  469-256-0268
>>> "We help businesses succeed on the web!"
>>>       -------------------------------------------

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

Kevin Bice
It has been a while. You should be able to connect to it through the
command line if you can remember the port it runs on - my memory
fails me. You might also use the databasebrowser.lassoapp to get into
it. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.
Kevin Bice
512-879-1653
http://fmpweb.com
Web Development and Design

On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:43 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> I was thinking that too.  How do I get into the internal LassoMySQL
> again?  (It's Lasso 6)
>
> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Kevin Bice wrote:
>
>> Peter,
>> This sounds like the problem I had when I had to move my servers
>> last year. I finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and
>> changed the host IP there. Restarted it and all was fine - after a
>> couple of hours of pulling my hair out.
>> Kevin Bice
>> 512-879-1653
>> http://fmpweb.com
>> Web Development and Design
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>>
>>> By the way, I tried disabling the host and then changing the IP.
>>> I tried the opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the
>>> backend network hoping that it would eventually time out and give
>>> me the admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has worked.  Just
>>> continuous thrash.
>>>

>>> Patrick Larkin
>>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>>> Bethlehem Area School District

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

jasonhuck
IIRC it runs on port 14550, or maybe 14551...

- jason

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Kevin Bice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It has been a while. You should be able to connect to it through the command
> line if you can remember the port it runs on - my memory fails me. You might
> also use the databasebrowser.lassoapp to get into it. Sorry that I cannot be
> of more help.
> Kevin Bice
> 512-879-1653
> http://fmpweb.com
> Web Development and Design
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:43 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that too.  How do I get into the internal LassoMySQL again?
>>  (It's Lasso 6)
>>
>> Patrick Larkin
>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>> Bethlehem Area School District
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Kevin Bice wrote:
>>
>>> Peter,
>>> This sounds like the problem I had when I had to move my servers last
>>> year. I finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and changed the
>>> host IP there. Restarted it and all was fine - after a couple of hours of
>>> pulling my hair out.
>>> Kevin Bice
>>> 512-879-1653
>>> http://fmpweb.com
>>> Web Development and Design

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: Network change hell

Göran Törnquist-2
Any SQL application would do. Though the TCP port is non-standard.
Can't remember which though.

/Göran Törnquist
Usertime
+46-733 860470

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Patrick Larkin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I was thinking that too.  How do I get into the internal LassoMySQL
> again?  (It's Lasso 6)
>
> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Kevin Bice wrote:
>
>> Peter,
>> This sounds like the problem I had when I had to move my servers
>> last year. I finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and
>> changed the host IP there. Restarted it and all was fine - after a
>> couple of hours of pulling my hair out.
>> Kevin Bice
>> 512-879-1653
>> http://fmpweb.com
>> Web Development and Design
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>>
>>> By the way, I tried disabling the host and then changing the IP.
>>> I tried the opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the
>>> backend network hoping that it would eventually time out and give
>>> me the admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has worked.  Just
>>> continuous thrash.
>>>

>>> Patrick Larkin
>>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>>> Bethlehem Area School District

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
Thanks.

I am in a total bind now.  This server appears to be toast.  And an earlier question about a new install of Lasso 8 continues to be a problem.  Whenever I try and import settings from Lasso 6 into a fresh 8.1 install, it tells me

"This site does not have permission to access uploaded files."

There is nothing in the documentation about changing any setting prior to import.  I guess I may have to abandon Lasso.  I cannot be down this long.

On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Göran Törnquist wrote:

> Any SQL application would do. Though the TCP port is non-standard. Can't remember which though.
>
> /Göran Törnquist
> Usertime
> +46-733 860470
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Patrick Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that too.  How do I get into the internal LassoMySQL again?  (It's Lasso 6)
>>
>> Patrick Larkin
>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>> Bethlehem Area School District
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Kevin Bice wrote:
>>
>>> Peter,
>>> This sounds like the problem I had when I had to move my servers last year. I finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and changed the host IP there. Restarted it and all was fine - after a couple of hours of pulling my hair out.
>>> Kevin Bice
>>> 512-879-1653
>>> http://fmpweb.com
>>> Web Development and Design

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin wrote on 6/14/2010 8:02 AM:

> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as
> the backend interface on my web servers.
>
> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>
> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box
> loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It
> just sits there loading after clicking update.
>
> Is there a more graceful way to do this?

When you launch Lasso Admin, it connects to all the configured database hosts.  If one or more of them are not available, then Lasso Admin will appear to "hang" as it has to time out for each host.  I'd recommend you stop Lasso, remove the db connectors that you're using (MySQL? FM?), then start Lasso.  Since the connectors are unavailable, Lasso should auto-disable the hosts that are configured for them and load promptly.  Fix the IP addresses, stop Lasso, drop the connectors back in, start Lasso and enable everything.  It should now work properly.

Re: Network change hell

Jumping in late here.  Did you follow the instructions in the Lasso Setup Guide?

You need to use the Lasso Settings Migrator to upgrade Lasso 5, 6, or 7 settings to 8+.

--steve

On 6/14/10 at 3:52 PM, [hidden email] (Patrick Larkin) pronounced:

> Thanks.
>
> I am in a total bind now.  This server appears to be toast.  And an earlier question
> about a new install of Lasso 8 continues to be a problem.  Whenever I try and import
> settings from Lasso 6 into a fresh 8.1 install, it tells me
>
> "This site does not have permission to access uploaded files."
>
> There is nothing in the documentation about changing any setting prior to import.  I
> guess I may have to abandon Lasso.  I cannot be down this long.
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Göran Törnquist wrote:
>
> > Any SQL application would do. Though the TCP port is non-standard. Can't remember
> which though.
> >
> > /Göran Törnquist
> > Usertime
> > +46-733 860470
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Patrick Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I was thinking that too.  How do I get into the internal LassoMySQL again?  (It's
> Lasso 6)
> >>
> >> Patrick Larkin
> >> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> >> Bethlehem Area School District

> finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and changed the host IP there.
> Restarted it and all was fine - after a couple of hours of pulling my hair out.

> opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the backend network hoping that it
> would eventually time out and give me the admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has
> worked.  Just continuous thrash.

> list :-)

> MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not
> worry about code changes.

> VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.

> network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the
> server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.

> to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...

> addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso
> does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have
> several hosts set up in Lasso.

> backend interface on my web servers.

> saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading
> after clicking update.

> >> --
> >> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> >>

> >> --
> >> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> >> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> >> believed to be clean.
> >>

> > --
> > believed to be clean.
> >

> > --
> > This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
Yes, I used to the LAsso Settings Migrator.

I then followed the directions to import them.  There is nothing in the 8.1 docs suggesting that any settings need to be changed prior to import.

On Jun 14, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Jumping in late here.  Did you follow the instructions in the Lasso Setup Guide?
>
> You need to use the Lasso Settings Migrator to upgrade Lasso 5, 6, or 7 settings to 8+.
>
> --steve
>

> On 6/14/10 at 3:52 PM, [hidden email] (Patrick Larkin) pronounced:
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I am in a total bind now.  This server appears to be toast.  And an earlier question
>> about a new install of Lasso 8 continues to be a problem.  Whenever I try and import
>> settings from Lasso 6 into a fresh 8.1 install, it tells me
>>
>> "This site does not have permission to access uploaded files."
>>
>> There is nothing in the documentation about changing any setting prior to import.  I
>> guess I may have to abandon Lasso.  I cannot be down this long.
>>

>> Patrick Larkin
>> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
>> Bethlehem Area School District
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Göran Törnquist wrote:
>>
>>> Any SQL application would do. Though the TCP port is non-standard. Can't remember
>> which though.
>>>
>>> /Göran Törnquist
>>> Usertime
>>> +46-733 860470
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> Lasso 6)

>> finally went into the internal databases of Lasso and changed the host IP there.
>> Restarted it and all was fine - after a couple of hours of pulling my hair out.

>> opposite.  I tried unplugging the server from the backend network hoping that it
>> would eventually time out and give me the admin so I can make changes.  Nothing has
>> worked.  Just continuous thrash.

>> list :-)

>> MySQL and FileMaker servers - Then all I have to do is change the DNS tables and not
>> worry about code changes.

>> VERY slowly, and sometimes seem to not connect at all.

>> network.  I can't see any reason that changing the IP address (and restarting the
>> server) would make any difference to Lasso loading It's admin.

>> to make when changing IP addresses - I can't remember what it is...

>> addresses?  I'd check that first, then go from there... Like I stated above, Lasso
>> does not like it when it cannot connect to the DB servers, especially if you have
>> several hosts set up in Lasso.

>> backend interface on my web servers.

>> saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It just sits there loading
>> after clicking update.

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
Thanks Bil.

When I pull the connectors and restarted Lasso, there are now old settings.  It shows 4 FMP hosts when I had 6.  It doesn't even show my MySQL host at all.  It seems like it reverted to really old settings before I even had an MySQL host.

Ugh.

On Jun 14, 2010, at 4:29 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Patrick Larkin wrote on 6/14/2010 8:02 AM:
>> I was asked to re-IP all of my MySQL and Filemaker hosts as well as
>> the backend interface on my web servers.
>>
>> Needless to say, it is total Lasso chaos.
>>
>> The Lasso admin interface never loads on my 8.5 box and the 6.0 box
>> loads but saving the changed IP addresses never seems to happen.  It
>> just sits there loading after clicking update.
>>
>> Is there a more graceful way to do this?
>
> When you launch Lasso Admin, it connects to all the configured database hosts.  If one or more of them are not available, then Lasso Admin will appear to "hang" as it has to time out for each host.  I'd recommend you stop Lasso, remove the db connectors that you're using (MySQL? FM?), then start Lasso.  Since the connectors are unavailable, Lasso should auto-disable the hosts that are configured for them and load promptly.  Fix the IP addresses, stop Lasso, drop the connectors back in, start Lasso and enable everything.  It should now work properly.
>

> - Bil

Re: Network change hell

Patrick Larkin-2
Seems the weird settings are in LassoMySQL locaed in /Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMysql/bin

When I run the command line MySQL client from this location, I get the old, limited settings.

I have no idea where the newer settings are or why it reverts to these settings when I remove the connectors.