Net->Connect timeout

Al Fleming
I'm trying to work out how to set a timeout for the [Net->connect] tag.
With the TCP_open tags there was a timeout parameter but with Net-
 >Connect it doesnt seem possible to change this from the default (60
seconds?)
I may need to increase or reduce this timeout depending on my
particular application.

I'm testing this by trying to connect to a non-existent IP address on
our subnet.

i.e.
var:'myConnection'=(net);
$myConnection->(Connect: '192.168.0.11', 80);

Al Fleming

430am Ltd.
Tel: +44 (0)1543 473333
Fax: +44 (0)1543 473335

Re: Net->Connect timeout

Kyle Jessup

On Jun 1, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Al Fleming wrote:

> I'm trying to work out how to set a timeout for the [Net->connect]
> tag.
> With the TCP_open tags there was a timeout parameter but with Net-
> >Connect it doesnt seem possible to change this from the default
> (60 seconds?)
> I may need to increase or reduce this timeout depending on my
> particular application.
>
> I'm testing this by trying to connect to a non-existent IP address
> on our subnet.
>
> i.e.
> var:'myConnection'=(net);
> $myConnection->(Connect: '192.168.0.11', 80);

The only example of using the net type in the online LDML ref shows
exactly how to do this.

Here is another example. This one will wait 12 seconds for a
connection to localhost, then ask for the default HTTP document and
output the first up to 4000 chars:

local('net' = net);
if (#net->setBlocking(false) & connect('127.0.0.1', 80) & wait(12,
net_waitwrite) == net_waitwrite);
     #net->setBlocking(true) & write('GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n') & read
(4000);
/if;
handle;
     #net->close;
/handle;

-K

Re: Net->Connect timeout

Al Fleming
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.
For what its worth, I couldnt get the example in the LDML
ref to work: With setblocking set to false, the first
Fail_If was kicking in every time - you might want to have
a look and see if its just me or whether the example needs
updating.