Nabble

Mr. Bret Williams
Came across this site which appears to be hosting the Lasso Talk list:

http://www.nabble.com/Lasso---Talk-f739.html

Is this new? Is this a service of OmniPilot?

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Ke Carlton

I don't believe it's Omnipilot - it looks like a great setup though.

I think they've simply subscribed a bot to the lists, which in turn archives
them online - cute and impressive.

Re: Nabble

Mark Palmer
I find it quite useful occasionally, particularly when OP have the
listsearch server down for maintenance etc. This is sometimes first
thing in the morning UK time, just when I'm starting my day and keen
to find articles.

On 19 Aug 2006, at 08:19, Mr. Bret Williams wrote:

> Came across this site which appears to be hosting the Lasso Talk list:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Lasso---Talk-f739.html
>
> Is this new? Is this a service of OmniPilot?
>

> Bret Williams
> Novusweb
>
> www.Novusweb.com
>
> 760.942.3773 voice
> 866.668.8793 toll-free
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
> attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
> may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are
> not the intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or
> disseminate this information.  Please contact the sender by reply
> immediately and destroy all copies of the original message
> including all attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

JP-14
It's neat but there's a little thread issue

Look at the one with [LS3.6] Struggling with Table

http://www.nabble.com/-L3.6--Struggling-with-a-table-tf2116112.html

looks like there are 2 other threads in there that are not related to
this one.

jp

On Aug 19, 2006, at 6:27 AM, Mark Palmer wrote:

> I find it quite useful occasionally, particularly when OP have the
> listsearch server down for maintenance etc. This is sometimes first
> thing in the morning UK time, just when I'm starting my day and
> keen to find articles.
>

> On 19 Aug 2006, at 08:19, Mr. Bret Williams wrote:
>
>> Came across this site which appears to be hosting the Lasso Talk
>> list:
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/Lasso---Talk-f739.html
>>
>> Is this new? Is this a service of OmniPilot?
>>

>> Bret Williams
>> Novusweb
>>
>> www.Novusweb.com
>>
>> 760.942.3773 voice
>> 866.668.8793 toll-free
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
>> attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
>> may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are
>> not the intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or
>> disseminate this information.  Please contact the sender by reply
>> immediately and destroy all copies of the original message
>> including all attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
>>

>> ------------------------------
>> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
>> data on the web.
>> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>

> Regards
>
> Mark Palmer
> E: [hidden email]
> T: 01902 620500
> W: www.pageworks.co.uk
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Mr. Bret Williams
I think that's something else involved. I view my Lasso list emails
as Threads in Apple Mail. Oftentimes, the threads contain messages
that have different subject lines.

I don't know much about mail lists, but is there a thread identifier
that may be messed on these entries? Is that possible?

On Aug 19, 2006, at 10:15 AM, JP wrote:

> It's neat but there's a little thread issue
>
> Look at the one with [LS3.6] Struggling with Table
>
> http://www.nabble.com/-L3.6--Struggling-with-a-table-tf2116112.html
>
> looks like there are 2 other threads in there that are not related
> to this one.
>
> jp

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Fletcher Sandbeck
On 2006-08-19 at 18:20 by [hidden email] (Mr. Bret Williams):

>I think that's something else involved. I view my Lasso list emails
>as Threads in Apple Mail. Oftentimes, the threads contain messages
>that have different subject lines.
>
>I don't know much about mail lists, but is there a thread identifier
>that may be messed on these entries? Is that possible?

Each message has a Message-ID in its headers which uniquely identifies it.  In the case of this list the Message-ID is set by the list server.  When you reply the Message-ID of the message you replied to is set as an In-Reply-To header. There can also be a References header which can list the Message-ID of the message you replied to and sometimes the IDs of any other messages in the thread.

These headers can be used for threading, but they get messed up if you use the reply command in your email program in order to start a new thread.  Some archivers like ListSearch use the actual Subject headers to try to determine threads heuristically.

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

JP-14
So, we just uncovered a flaw in the logic at Nabble. Will the Nabble
programmers look into this, please?  The reason I ask is that in some
cases, it may make the search for a specific thread harder or worse
yet ..confusing because it would turn up messages with a totally
different subject.

Also, now why would some of us start a new thread just by overwriting
a different message?  Best way to get around this:  Add the
[hidden email] to the address book!

Smile

jp

On Aug 19, 2006, at 9:07 PM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> On 2006-08-19 at 18:20 by [hidden email] (Mr. Bret Williams):
>
>> I think that's something else involved. I view my Lasso list emails
>> as Threads in Apple Mail. Oftentimes, the threads contain messages
>> that have different subject lines.
>>
>> I don't know much about mail lists, but is there a thread identifier
>> that may be messed on these entries? Is that possible?
>
> Each message has a Message-ID in its headers which uniquely
> identifies it.  In the case of this list the Message-ID is set by
> the list server.  When you reply the Message-ID of the message you
> replied to is set as an In-Reply-To header. There can also be a
> References header which can list the Message-ID of the message you
> replied to and sometimes the IDs of any other messages in the thread.

> These headers can be used for threading, but they get messed up if
> you use the reply command in your email program in order to start a
> new thread.  Some archivers like ListSearch use the actual Subject
> headers to try to determine threads heuristically.
>
> [fletcher]
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
> OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Göran Törnquist-2
At 21.21 -0500 06-08-19, JP wrote:
>Also, now why would some of us start a new
>thread just by overwriting a different message?
>Best way to get around this:  Add the
>[hidden email] to the address book!

Because users and programmers are lazy. Both
expect the machine to be hard-working...

(...and I am smiling...)

/Göran

Göran Törnquist
--
0733-86 04 70
--

believed to be clean.

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Wade Maxfield

>>Each message has a Message-ID in its headers which uniquely
>>identifies it.  In the case of this list the Message-ID is set by
>>the list server.  When you reply the Message-ID of the message you
>>replied to is set as an In-Reply-To header. There can also be a
>>References header which can list the Message-ID of the message you
>>replied to and sometimes the IDs of any other messages in the
>>thread.

>>These headers can be used for threading, but they get messed up if
>>you use the reply command in your email program in order to start a
>>new thread.  Some archivers like ListSearch use the actual Subject
>>headers to try to determine threads heuristically.
>>
>>[fletcher]

>-- So, we just uncovered a flaw in the logic at Nabble. Will the
>Nabble programmers look into this, please?  The reason I ask is that
>in some cases, it may make the search for a specific thread harder
>or worse yet ..confusing because it would turn up messages with a
>totally different subject.
>
>Also, now why would some of us start a new thread just by
>overwriting a different message?  Best way to get around this:  Add
>the [hidden email] to the address book!
>
>Smile
>
>jp

It's not a flaw in the logic of Nabble.  And yes it can be confusing.
The In-Reply-To header is being used by Nabble in the way it is
intended.  Mail (Apple's app) also uses that header for threading, so
changing Nabble's behaviour to match Listsearch isn't necessarily
correct.

The real solution is for people on the list to start new threads by
sending a new message to [hidden email], and not just by
replying to a previous message and changing the subject.

Now might be a good time for someone in a position to, to chime in on
the lasso list etiquette (I couldn't find anything official mentioned
on listsearch, just a couple of opinions from 2001 & 2002)

My preferences are - just in case anyone cares: 8)

No top posting,  no ALL CAPITALS, relevant subjects (no HELP! URGENT!
type subjects),  do practice quote trimming to keep just the relevant
info,  and always start new threads with new messages - not by
replying to previous ones and changing the subject.

  - Wade

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Bil Corry
Wade Maxfield wrote:
> The real solution is for people on the list to start new threads by
> sending a new message to [hidden email], and not just by
> replying to a previous message and changing the subject.

The best solution would be for email apps to discard that header when a message is replied to, but the subject and message are erased.  Since Thunderbird threads the same way as Nabble, I always know who the "lazy" new thread starters are.  Not sure I understand the "lazy" part though; really, isn't it *less* work to hit "new message" and have LassoTalk in your address book then to hit "reply" then erase the subject, then erase the message?

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Greg Willits-2
> These headers can be used for threading, but they get messed up if
> you use the reply command in your email program in order to start a
> new thread.  Some archivers like ListSearch

and pbTalk :-)

> use the actual Subject headers to try to determine threads
> heuristically.

(but that's only after Adam gave me some pointers).

-- gw

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Jolle Carlestam
Please explain?

HDB
JC

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Wade Maxfield
>Please explain?
>
>HDB
>JC
>
>20 aug 2006 kl. 05.23 skrev Wade Maxfield:
>
>>No top posting

Exactly what you just did 8)

Top posting is putting your reply to a message before the actual bit
of a message you are replying to.  It's generally harder to read and
comprehend.  For instance to understand your question, I had to read
past it to see what it was you would like explained.

  - Wade

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Ke Carlton

A lot of mail clients don't use plain/text by default (or choose not to).
It's easier to reply as opposed to having to resend a mail due to rejection.

Ke

> The real solution is for people on the list to start new threads by
> sending a new message to [hidden email], and not just by
> replying to a previous message and changing the subject.

The best solution would be for email apps to discard that header when a
message is replied to, but the subject and message are erased.  Since
Thunderbird threads the same way as Nabble, I always know who the "lazy" new
isn't it *less* work to hit "new message" and have LassoTalk in your address
book then to hit "reply" then erase the subject, then erase the message?

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on
the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Jono-2
LOL, PaintBall Talk or PrimeBase Talk?

On 20/08/2006, at 5:34 PM, Greg Willits wrote:

> and pbTalk :-)

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Jono-2
Sorry Greg, as I hit send I realized you meant Page Blocks :)

(Says Jono who habitually Top Posts, sorry Wade ;) )

On 20/08/2006, at 11:35 PM, Jono wrote:

> LOL, PaintBall Talk or PrimeBase Talk?
>

> On 20/08/2006, at 5:34 PM, Greg Willits wrote:
>
>> and pbTalk :-)

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

JP-14
That is how some email clients handle replies.    Generally, new
information are put at the top.   The thread is kept as a tail for
reference.

Now, this thread is sort of becoming OT!  But I can't quite change
the subject for breaking the thread.

There have been times when it is best  to pick apart a message and
replied to specific parts etc  But sometimes that makes it more
difficult to discern which is an older message than new.   That is
true especially if the email client uses lines or carets (>)

Now, I did this reply with a twist ..I erased the message because you
can always follow the thread on listsearch or in your email client.
You just have to read more messages.    (smirk)

Bottom line:  There is no such perfect email client, period.  We all
have to live and learn, after all, the human brain is a very complex
piece of hardware.  (er ...is that software?)

Happy Reading

jp

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

JP-14
But my replies occasionally gets rejected because they were not in
plain text.  But the funny thing, the message itself was NOT in plain
text but my reply is.  I haven't been able to figure that out why, yet.

jp

------------------------------

Ke wrote:
> A lot of mail clients don't use plain/text by default (or choose not to).
> It's easier to reply as opposed to having to resend a mail due to rejection.

Thanks, that makes more sense.  I configured Thunderbird to send in plaintext and to convert HTML emails to plaintext.  So I never see those HTML emails or the problems associated with them.

And BTW, for those of you sending bulk HTML emails via Lasso, make sure you include a plaintext version.  Nothing funnier than getting an email that simply says, "Your email client doesn't recognize HTML email."  Gee, thanks for the email!

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Nabble

Douglas Burchard
On Aug 20, 2006, at 8:21 AM, JP wrote:

> the human brain is a very complex piece of hardware.  (er ...is
> that software?)

Wetware

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetware>

--