[NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

[NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Kerry Adams-2
LassoSoft Newsletter
October, 2008
<http://www.lassosoft.com/Company/Newsletter/index.lasso?9371>

Lasso Developers,

We're back from this year's Lasso Developer Conference in Chicago with a
lot of really great news.  In this month's newsletter you can read about
the conference and get access to the materials presented.  Also, we were
able to capture video of nearly all of the conference sessions, which we
think you'll really enjoy.  We're still getting the videos wrapped up,
but as soon as their ready we will let everyone know and make them
publicly available.

We also announced and showcased Lasso 9 at this year's event, and you
can read more about it below.  We're very excited about Lasso 9.  It
represents years of hard work by LassoSoft, and is going to be the most
advanced version of Lasso to date.  For a limited time, we're accepting
pre-orders for Lasso 9 at a significant savings.  If you plan to upgrade
to or buy the ultimate version of Lasso - and with 9, there's no reason
not to - now is the time to do so and save some money in the process.

Please check out this month's newsletter and the LassoSoft web site for
more information on this and other exciting news.

Happy Coding,

The LassoSoft Team

This month's newsletter has the following topics:

- Announcing Lasso 9
- Lasso 9 Pre-Sale
- Lasso Developer Conference 2008 Overview
- Lasso Developer Conference 2008 Materials
- Tips of the Week

Announcing Lasso 9

LassoSoft is pleased to announce the next generation of Lasso
technology. Lasso 9 was demonstrated at the Lasso Developer Conference
held in Chicago, Illinois from September 18-21, 2008.

Lasso 9 has dramatic performance improvements and is the fastest version
to date.  Lasso 9 is now natively compiled, not interpreted - giving it
the best performance possible.  It will consume fewer resources,
enabling it to better handle load.  A tremendous amount of time and
effort has been put into simplifying the design to result in fewer
pieces, thereby eliminating potential bottlenecks.

More of Lasso 9 is implemented in itself, making the system very
flexible.  Lasso will give you the tools necessary to create whatever
you may need.  That includes more open access to the underlaying
operating system, other libraries, and functions from within the language.

Lasso 9 has many new built-in features for accomplishing a variety of
tasks, including full cURL support, improved date and time objects, more
internationalization related features, integrated zip archive
reader/writer, and a whole lot more.

You can learn more about Lasso 9 and read some FAQ by visiting the
LassoSoft site <http://www.lassosoft.com/Products/Lasso9/index.lasso>.

Lasso 9 Pre-Sale

For a limited time, we're accepting pre-orders for Lasso 9 at a
significant savings of 20% off the regular price*.  Buy your copy today
and be one of the very first to have Lasso 9 when it is released.

Pre-ordering also helps support the final development stages and release
of this amazing new product.  We appreciate the continued business and
support of the Lasso Community.

You can pre-order your copy of Lasso 9 by visiting the LassoSoft online
store <http://store.lassosoft.com/lasso9.lasso> (discounts will show in
cart during checkout).

*(additional discounts may not be applied to pre-orders)

Lasso Developer Conference 2008 Overview

Thank you to everyone who attended the 2008 Lasso Developer Conference
in Chicago.  The speakers at the conference exceeded our expectations,
and we received very excellent feedback and high praise from the
attendees.  See the LDC page for photos from the event, materials
download, and (coming soon) videos of the presentations. We are looking
forward to the next LDC, possibly in Europe, in 2009.

We would also like to thank our sponsors for their support and
contributions.  We couldn't do it without them.  Please support our
sponsors by visiting their sites.

For more overview and information about LDC08 please visit the LassoSoft
site <http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/index.lasso>.

Lasso Developer Conference 2008 Materials

The materials for the talks which were featured at the conference can be
downloaded from the LassoSoft web site.  This includes the papers
presented by each of the speakers, many real world examples, and the
materials from the round tables.

<http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/index.lasso>

Materials from previous Lasso Summits can be found on the LassoTech site.

<http://www.lassotech.com/index.lasso>

Tips of the Week

The latest tip of the week discusses Speeding up Email Sending with
Asynchronous Tags.

Speeding up Email Sending with Asynchronous Tags

<http://www.lassotech.com/TotW_20080815>

Other recent tips of the week include:

Storing and Recalling Inline Database Results: How database results
which are stored in an array can be fed back into an inline.

<http://www.lassotech.com/store_and_recalling_inlines>

Post-Processing Database Results Using Arrays and Matchers: How Lasso
can be used to post-process database results using array tools, and how
a custom matcher can be used to filter elements from one array into a
new array.

<http://www.lassotech.com/TotW_20060421>

Subscribe to the Tip of the Week using our RSS feed:

<http://www.lassosoft.com/Documentation/TotW/rss.lasso>

Comments, corrections, or ideas for future tips of the week are
appreciated and can be sent to [hidden email]

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Bil Corry-3
Kerry Adams wrote on 10/16/2008 12:54 PM:
> Lasso 9 Pre-Sale
>
> For a limited time, we're accepting pre-orders for Lasso 9 at a
> significant savings of 20% off the regular price*.  Buy your copy today
> and be one of the very first to have Lasso 9 when it is released.

Done.  I upgraded 2 licenses to L9.

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Marc Pope
What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just mean
the full version?

-Marc

On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Kerry Adams wrote:

>  If you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate version of Lasso

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Kerry Adams-2
lol

We mean to say that it is the best version of Lasso yet - the Ultimate
Version Of Lasso!!

Sorry if it came across differently.

-Kerry

Marc Pope wrote:

> What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just mean
> the full version?
>
> -Marc
>
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Kerry Adams wrote:
>
>>  If you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate version of Lasso

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Göran Törnquist-2
Given choices, I chose this one. According to Albatross Insurance
ultimate means "ULTIMATE
Experience (eg mortality) for which the DURATION exceeds the SELECT PERIOD".

;-)

Joke aside, I hope it's not the concluding version of Lasso.

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=ultimate

/Göran

Marc Pope wrote:
> What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just mean
> the full version?
>
> -Marc
>
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Kerry Adams wrote:
>
>>  If you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate version of Lasso

believed to be clean.

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Göran Törnquist-2
http://www.google.se/search?q=define%3Aultimate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

/Göran

Kerry Adams wrote:

> lol
>
> We mean to say that it is the best version of Lasso yet - the Ultimate
> Version Of Lasso!!
>
> Sorry if it came across differently.
>
> -Kerry
>

> Marc Pope wrote:
>> What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just
>> mean the full version?
>>
>> -Marc
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Kerry Adams wrote:
>>
>>>  If you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate version of Lasso

believed to be clean.

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Brian K. Middendorf
On Oct 16, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Marc Pope wrote:

> What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just
> mean the full version?

I think it is marketing speak.

-brian.

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Kerry Adams-2
We meant this definition here:

"Ultimate (often called Ultimate Frisbee in reference to the trademarked
brand name) is a non-contact competitive team game played with a 175
gram flying disc. ..."

Lasso 9 will cease to be a software product, and will instead be a disk
(DVD, of course) that you throw at your friends in the hopes of
inflicting an injury of some sort (despite what it says above about
"non-contact").

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

-Kerry

Göran Törnquist wrote:

> http://www.google.se/search?q=define%3Aultimate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>

> /Göran
>
> Kerry Adams wrote:
>> lol
>>
>> We mean to say that it is the best version of Lasso yet - the
>> Ultimate Version Of Lasso!!
>>
>> Sorry if it came across differently.
>>
>> -Kerry
>>

>> Marc Pope wrote:
>>> What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just
>>> mean the full version?
>>>
>>> -Marc

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
The version to end all versions. Can't be less or Kerry would
disappoint ;)

Since the world as we know it will end in four years from now anyway
(The Maya Calendar crap), then why not see to get the ultimate version
out now, prosper from it some 3-4 yers and then - goodbye... :-D

/nikolaj

On 16/10/2008, at 21.36, Marc Pope wrote:

> What do you mean by "Ultimate Version of Lasso" ?  or do you just
> mean the full version?

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
LOL :)

/nikolaj

On 16/10/2008, at 21.46, Kerry Adams wrote:

> We meant this definition here:
>
> "Ultimate (often called Ultimate Frisbee in reference to the
> trademarked brand name) is a non-contact competitive team game
> played with a 175 gram flying disc. ..."
>
> Lasso 9 will cease to be a software product, and will instead be a
> disk (DVD, of course) that you throw at your friends in the hopes of
> inflicting an injury of some sort (despite what it says above about
> "non-contact").
>
> So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

feh.  I'm waiting for the XTREME version.

--steve

On Thursday, October 16, 2008, [hidden email] (Kerry Adams) pronounced:

>We meant this definition here:
>
>"Ultimate (often called Ultimate Frisbee in reference to the trademarked
>brand name) is a non-contact competitive team game played with a 175
>gram flying disc. ..."
>
>Lasso 9 will cease to be a software product, and will instead be a disk
>(DVD, of course) that you throw at your friends in the hopes of
>inflicting an injury of some sort (despite what it says above about
>"non-contact").
>
>So long, and thanks for all the fish!
>
>-Kerry
>

>Göran Törnquist wrote:
>>
>http://www.google.se/search?q=define%3Aultimate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.
>mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>>

>> /Göran
>>
>> Kerry Adams wrote:
>>> lol
>>>
>>> We mean to say that it is the best version of Lasso yet - the
>>> Ultimate Version Of Lasso!!
>>>
>>> Sorry if it came across differently.
>>>
>>> -Kerry

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Greg Hemphill
do you mean Lasso XP?

/wrists

On Oct 16, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> feh.  I'm waiting for the XTREME version.
>
> --steve
>

> On Thursday, October 16, 2008, [hidden email] (Kerry Adams)
> pronounced:
>
>> We meant this definition here:
>>
>> "Ultimate (often called Ultimate Frisbee in reference to the
>> trademarked
>> brand name) is a non-contact competitive team game played with a 175
>> gram flying disc. ..."
>>
>> Lasso 9 will cease to be a software product, and will instead be a
>> disk
>> (DVD, of course) that you throw at your friends in the hopes of
>> inflicting an injury of some sort (despite what it says above about
>> "non-contact").
>>
>> So long, and thanks for all the fish!
>>
>> -Kerry
>>

>> Göran Törnquist wrote:
>>>
>> http://www.google.se/search?q=define%3Aultimate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org
>> .
>> mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>>>

>>> /Göran

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Kerry Adams-2
"Lasso 9: infinity times faster than Lasso 4."

-Kerry

Greg Hemphill wrote:

> do you mean Lasso XP?
>
> /wrists
>

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> feh.  I'm waiting for the XTREME version.
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On Thursday, October 16, 2008, [hidden email] (Kerry Adams)
>> pronounced:
>>
>>> We meant this definition here:
>>>
>>> "Ultimate (often called Ultimate Frisbee in reference to the
>>> trademarked
>>> brand name) is a non-contact competitive team game played with a 175
>>> gram flying disc. ..."
>>>
>>> Lasso 9 will cease to be a software product, and will instead be a disk
>>> (DVD, of course) that you throw at your friends in the hopes of
>>> inflicting an injury of some sort (despite what it says above about
>>> "non-contact").
>>>
>>> So long, and thanks for all the fish!
>>>
>>> -Kerry
>>>

>>> Göran Törnquist wrote:
>>>>
>>> http://www.google.se/search?q=define%3Aultimate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.
>>>
>>> mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Kevin Bice
It seems that I am totally out of the loop on things, but when might
we expect to see the production version (ultimate or whatever) be
delivered. I might want to look at the future value of my money
before I jump on updating all or some of my licenses.  :-)
Kevin Bice
512-879-1653
http://fmpweb.com
Web Development and Design

On Oct 16, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Kerry Adams wrote:

> For a limited time, we're accepting pre-orders for Lasso 9 at a
> significant savings.  If you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate
> version of Lasso - and with 9, there's no reason not to - now is
> the time to do so and save some money in the process.

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Kerry Adams-2
Check out the LP9 FAQ:

http://www.lassosoft.com/Products/Lasso9/FAQs/index.lasso

We'll keep it updated as we move forward.

-Kerry

Kevin Bice wrote:

> It seems that I am totally out of the loop on things, but when might
> we expect to see the production version (ultimate or whatever) be
> delivered. I might want to look at the future value of my money before
> I jump on updating all or some of my licenses.  :-)
> Kevin Bice
> 512-879-1653
> http://fmpweb.com
> Web Development and Design
>

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Kerry Adams wrote:
>
>> For a limited time, we're accepting pre-orders for Lasso 9 at a
>> significant savings.  If you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate
>> version of Lasso - and with 9, there's no reason not to - now is the
>> time to do so and save some money in the process.

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Viaduct Productions
Near Optimal.

On Oct 16, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Brian K. Middendorf wrote:

> I think it is marketing speak.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Daniel Parker

On 17/10/2008, at 6:54 AM, Kerry Adams wrote:

> We also announced and showcased Lasso 9 at this year's event, and
> you can read more about it below.  We're very excited about Lasso
> 9.  It represents years of hard work by LassoSoft, and is going to
> be the most advanced version of Lasso to date.  For a limited time,
> we're accepting pre-orders for Lasso 9 at a significant savings.  If
> you plan to upgrade to or buy the ultimate version of Lasso - and
> with 9, there's no reason not to - now is the time to do so and save
> some money in the process.

Hi,

I took a look at the system requirements, and for Mac OS X it only
mentions LP 8.5..

I'm just wanting to know if LP9 will work on a PPC G5 Running 10.5.5
before I upgrade. (I assume it does, but I had better check it is not
Intel only)

Regards
Daniel Parker

Re: [NEWS] LassoSoft Newsletter, October - Lasso 9, LDC08 Overview and Materials

Pier Kuipers
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Göran Törnquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Joke aside, I hope it's not the concluding version of Lasso.

Or the subultimate version?
--
Pier Kuipers
Visual ID