Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Neil Enock
Hi All,

Apparently I have more problems than I though with my Lasso 8.5.5
update.  While trying to get email working, I have had more and more
crashes of Lasso - to the point where it is basically non-functional.
I have cleaned off the update and reinstalled a couple of times. The
symptoms are replicable. Lasso is running and it shows that the
default site (the only one I use) is running.  But clicking to the
site is met with... nothing.  No authentication dialog, just a blank
page.

Just before it totally collapsed, I did get through to the Site page
once, and everything looked right except that my Filemaker Server
Advanced databases were not showing up.

I'm quite stuck as all our sites are dead in the water now.

Any Ideas?

--
     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Bil Corry-3
Neil Enock wrote on 1/23/2009 12:15 AM:
> I'm quite stuck as all our sites are dead in the water now.

Run Lasso in console mode and see what errors are reported, or what Lasso appears to be doing.  You can also look at the error log for Site 1 here:

        <OS Specific Path>/Lasso Professional 8/LassoSites/default-1/LassoErrors.txt

Re: Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Neil Enock
Hi Bil,

Thnaks, I will look at that shortly.

I finally got a -9995 error trying to get into the Site and have sent
that off to bugs@....  Failure was not an option so I kept going last
night and finally did get the server running again - except for email.
It took a couple of PRAM resets, uninstalls and a clean install to
prove that it could get going then a restore of the Lasso 8 files, a
PRAM reset and another upgrade to 8.5.5.  I seem to have all functions
except mail working. Now nothing happens at all when I send mail from
the Lasso Admin App.  It doesn't que - just nothing!

So I'm back to a version of my original problem.  Lasso does seem much
faster though!  ;)

I do appreciate the suggestions!

Neil

Neil Enock wrote on 1/23/2009 8:21 AM:
> Failure was not an option so I kept going last
> night and finally did get the server running again - except for email.
> It took a couple of PRAM resets, uninstalls and a clean install to prove
> that it could get going then a restore of the Lasso 8 files, a PRAM
> reset and another upgrade to 8.5.5.

Does everything else on the box work correctly?  It could be something more fundamental, such as bad ram or a hard drive at the end of its road.

Re: Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Neil Enock
Hi Bil,

Everything is fine - I've never had an issue with it.  Just the update
to 8.5.5 seemed to be the spark. It's a MacPro Dual G5 PPC running
10.4.11  2GB of RAM.

It's about the most stable I have!

I think it must be something in the LassoApp or an internal preference
that is corrupt causing the mail to fail.

Neil

On Jan 23, 2009, at 8:04 AM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Neil Enock wrote on 1/23/2009 8:21 AM:
>> Failure was not an option so I kept going last
>> night and finally did get the server running again - except for
>> email.
>> It took a couple of PRAM resets, uninstalls and a clean install to
>> prove
>> that it could get going then a restore of the Lasso 8 files, a PRAM
>> reset and another upgrade to 8.5.5.
>
> Does everything else on the box work correctly?  It could be
> something more fundamental, such as bad ram or a hard drive at the
> end of its road.
>

> - Bil

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Steve Upton
At 11:15 PM -0700 1/22/09, Neil Enock wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Apparently I have more problems than I though with my Lasso 8.5.5 update.  While trying to get email working, I have had more and more crashes of Lasso - to the point where it is basically non-functional.
>I have cleaned off the update and reinstalled a couple of times. The symptoms are replicable. Lasso is running and it shows that the default site (the only one I use) is running.  But clicking to the site is met with... nothing.  No authentication dialog, just a blank page.
>
>Just before it totally collapsed, I did get through to the Site page once, and everything looked right except that my Filemaker Server Advanced databases were not showing up.
>
>I'm quite stuck as all our sites are dead in the water now.

I feel your pain... are you still down?

Perhaps you should "redo" many of the setup parameters? I have found sometimes that exporting / importing lasso parameters does not work the way I expected.

This problem has the smell of an "external" issue that didn't show up on the older version and now reared its head. The email may be a red herring of sorts... not sure it that helps but keep your mind open..

Do you have the option to downgrade? It may be worth a try, painful though it is. If things work you know more, if they don't, you know more...

hey, are you in Calgary? cool. I'm a displaced Calgarian in Seattle.

good luck with it

Steve Upton

Re: Much more than eMail problems with 8.5.5 install

Neil Enock
Hi Steve,

I've got the sites up but no Lasso email.  I upgraded as part of a
plan to completely rewrite my FMP/Lasso based Office Management/CMS
system into a more portable, modern format with SQL/Filemaker and way
more functionality from Lasso. I am loathe to go backwards anyway as
Lasso 9 is due out 'soon'.  I've emailed Lassosoft but I'll try
calling now that the Sites are running again.

I am in Calgary, I hear Seattle is nice!

Neil