Monitoring Services

Marc Pope
I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various services are
available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..

Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a bunch, but
they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to respond the
way I expect them too.

Re: Monitoring Services

Jim Van Heule
Something like this?

http://squeaky.heunox.net/

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:

> I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various services are
> available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
>
> Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a
> bunch, but
> they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to
> respond the
> way I expect them too.
>
> Thanks
> Marc

Re: Monitoring Services

Brad Hill
well thats pretty cool.

On 6/22/06, Jim Van Heule <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something like this?
>
> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066
>

> On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:
>
> > I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various services are
> > available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
> >
> > Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a
> > bunch, but
> > they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to
> > respond the
> > way I expect them too.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Marc

Brad

Re: Monitoring Services

Mason Miller
Hey Jim,

Just started using it.  BTW, it requires 7, not six characters in the
password.

Mason

Jim Van Heule wrote:

> Something like this?
>
> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066
>

> On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various services are
>> available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
>>
>> Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a
>> bunch, but
>> they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to
>> respond the
>> way I expect them too.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Marc

Re: Monitoring Services

Marc Pope
Jim,
    That's pretty close to what I wanted to make.
    Glad I thought of it first :(

Marc

On 6/22/06 11:19 AM, "Jim Van Heule" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something like this?
>
> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066

Re: Monitoring Services

Jim Van Heule
Squeaky wasn't planed to be announced until sometime next week as
there are still some features and issues being worked out. but seeing
the request, I thought I'd share a bit early. So I guess you can
consider this a pre-announcement.

Squeaky was born out of my love for Whistleblower's ease of use, but
needed something that continues to be supported, remains simple and
works on mobile devices. After not liking anything I saw out there, I
built my own. Yep.... all Lasso driven.

Feel free to give it a try and see if it fits your needs.

http://squeaky.heunox.net/

I'm open to suggestions. If your looking for the revision logs, they
can be found at:

http://squeaky.heunox.net/version.lasso

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Jun 22, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Marc Pope wrote:

> Jim,
>     That's pretty close to what I wanted to make.
>     Glad I thought of it first :(
>
> Marc
>

> On 6/22/06 11:19 AM, "Jim Van Heule" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Something like this?
>>
>> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>>
>> --
>> Jim Van Heule
>> Heunox Corporation
>> (616) 844-0066

Re: Monitoring Services

Jim Van Heule
Thanks Mason,

I'll add that to my bug list to have fixed for the next beta release.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Jun 22, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Mason Miller wrote:

> Hey Jim,
>
> Just started using it.  BTW, it requires 7, not six characters in
> the password.
>
> Mason
>
> Jim Van Heule wrote:
>> Something like this?
>>
>> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>>
>> --
>> Jim Van Heule
>> Heunox Corporation
>> (616) 844-0066
>>

>> On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various
>>> services are
>>> available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
>>>
>>> Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a
>>> bunch, but
>>> they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to
>>> respond the
>>> way I expect them too.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Marc

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Monitoring Services

Neil Enock
Jim that's cool!  Keep us posted.

I run Whistle Blower at a remote location to monitor my servers and
have it email me if it detects any issues, the I use my Treo to
double check and reboot the servers as required.

For my Treo, I use an html page hosted on a remote telco server that
polls, by request only, the various servers and bits of software in
my own arrays, FileMaker, Lasso, Apache, Webstar, etc.

As an add-on, I've added access to my digital loggers' web power
switch from the Treo, so that I can toggle the power from anywhere if
any one of the servers goes arwy.

It's not fancy, but it makes me feel much better about taking that
camping trip with the family...

Neil

>Something like this?
>
>http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>
>--
>Jim Van Heule
>Heunox Corporation
>(616) 844-0066
>

>On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:
>
>>  I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various services are
>>  available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
>>
>>  Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a bunch, but
>>  they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to respond the
>>  way I expect them too.
>>
>>  Thanks
>>  Marc

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Monitoring Services

Richard Taubo
Hi!

On 22. jun. 2006, at 17.59, Jim Van Heule wrote:

> Squeaky wasn't planed to be announced until sometime next week as
> there are still some features and issues being worked out. but seeing
> the request, I thought I'd share a bit early. So I guess you can
> consider this a pre-announcement.
>
> Squeaky was born out of my love for Whistleblower's ease of use, but
> needed something that continues to be supported, remains simple and
> works on mobile devices. After not liking anything I saw out there, I
> built my own. Yep.... all Lasso driven.
>
> Feel free to give it a try and see if it fits your needs.
>
> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>
> I'm open to suggestions. If your looking for the revision logs, they
> can be found at:
>
> http://squeaky.heunox.net/version.lasso

Nice. :-)

Do you plan to sell the code or the service (looks like the latter from
your "About" menu)?

How do you plan to monitor the monitor itself?

Instead of monitoring from the inside, I decided to use Alertsite.com
to monitor a specific website for me, and use my local website to check
if dns, mysql, filemaker, pop etc. is okay, and if not return and
error. I really don't like to trust my own equipment and network to
monitor my own stuff. :-)

Using Alertsite.com can get pricey though, that is the reason why I
only monitor one site and check the other services locally, but I have
been happy with them.

Richard.

Re: Monitoring Services

Jim Van Heule
Funny thing Neil, that's pretty much exactly how I do it including
the digital loggers on my Treo.

Squeaky was originally going to be used for internal purposes only,
but decided while building it to give it an interface to allow others
to use it if there is enough interest.

One of my internal projects once Squeaky is completed is to tie in
the option to have Squeaky do hard restarts using my digital logger
and soft restarts using shell. That way, I'd have everything needed
in one app to keep a healthy server farm.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Jun 22, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Neil Enock wrote:

> Jim that's cool!  Keep us posted.
>
> I run Whistle Blower at a remote location to monitor my servers and
> have it email me if it detects any issues, the I use my Treo to
> double check and reboot the servers as required.
>
> For my Treo, I use an html page hosted on a remote telco server
> that polls, by request only, the various servers and bits of
> software in my own arrays, FileMaker, Lasso, Apache, Webstar, etc.
>
> As an add-on, I've added access to my digital loggers' web power
> switch from the Treo, so that I can toggle the power from anywhere
> if any one of the servers goes arwy.
>
> It's not fancy, but it makes me feel much better about taking that
> camping trip with the family...
>
> Neil
>

>> Something like this?
>>
>> http://squeaky.heunox.net/
>>
>> --
>> Jim Van Heule
>> Heunox Corporation
>> (616) 844-0066
>>

>> On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:
>>
>>>  I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various
>>> services are
>>>  available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
>>>
>>>  Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags
>>> a bunch, but
>>>  they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to
>>> respond the
>>>  way I expect them too.
>>>
>>>  Thanks
>>>  Marc

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>
> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com
> [hidden email]
> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   neil@ePrint-
> network.com
> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         neil@wooden-
> boxes.com

Re: Monitoring Services

Jim Van Heule
> Do you plan to sell the code or the service (looks like the latter
> from your "About" menu)?

Theoriginal plan was for it to be an internally used app. I'm
exploring the possibility of offering it as a service.

> How do you plan to monitor the monitor itself?

Right now Squeaky is running on my own network during testing. That's
great for everyone else, but not so great for me. I'm looking at
various external locations to install a second Squeaky that I would
use for my own network. Since I would then have two networks, I can
have each Squeaky service monitor each other and build in some
additional options to manage that as well. Once that is done, I'd
probably offer the option to use onr or the other or both services
for redundant monitoring.

> Instead of monitoring from the inside, I decided to use
> Alertsite.com to monitor a specific website for me, and use my
> local website to check if dns, mysql, filemaker, pop etc. is okay,
> and if not return and error. I really don't like to trust my own
> equipment and network to monitor my own stuff. :-)

Agreed

> Using Alertsite.com can get pricey though, that is the reason why I
> only monitor one site and check the other services locally, but I
> have been happy with them.

Yeah. Pricing was a stickler for me as well. If I go that route and
offer it as a service, my pricing scheme in mind is much lower. I'd
be looking more to cover costs of equipment and bandwidth and not
price it as my next great way of retiring. My thoughts? A yearly
price something close to the others price for 1-3 months.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

Re: Monitoring Services

Lee Glickenhaus
on 6/22/06 11:59 AM, Jim Van Heule wrote:

> Squeaky was born out of my love for Whistleblower's ease of use, but
> needed something that continues to be supported,

Has Whistleblower gone to the great bit-bin in the sky?  I live by it and
would hate to see that

lee

Re: Monitoring Services

m i l e s-5
Lee,

 >Has Whistleblower gone to the great bit-bin in the sky?  I live by
it and
 >would hate to see that

It has.

The developer hasn't updated the software in a long while (since
2003) and it appears the site for whistleblower is powered or managed
by plesk.  And is not configured for it....

No matter...it would appear the answer to your question is a sad but
honest, 'YUP!".

Let us all have a moment of silence and no double clicks.

Ok that's over....moving right along...

JVH's tool is nice start at something along the same lines....only
its webbased and lasso driven!  Which assuming that JVH would release
the code to the public we could all use and modify to our hearts
content....however I can see how he'd want to run it as a service....

M i l e s.

Re: Monitoring Services

CoMedia
M i l e s. wrote:

> >Has Whistleblower gone to the great bit-bin in the sky?  I live by
> it and would hate to see that
>
> It has.
>
> The developer hasn't updated the software in a long while (since
> 2003) and it appears the site for whistleblower is powered or managed
> by plesk.  And is not configured for it....
>
> No matter...it would appear the answer to your question is a sad but
> honest, 'YUP!".
>
> Let us all have a moment of silence and no double clicks.

Not enterely true, Miles.

James Sentman, the developer of WhistleBlower, said back in April to
me that he is working on a new version, due out in beta within a few
months. However, he has not been very responsive during the last
years -- it took me some weeks to get my Light version upgraded to
the unlimited Full version. Which is still running fine, I am having
no problems with it besides that my new APC MasterSwitch is not
recognized (it did work with an older version).

Nevertheless I am interested in an all-Lasso solution, like Jim is
preparing, if it is flexible enough. Personally I would like to run
it on my own server, rather than hiring a service, and being able to
customize it (adapting it for other mobiles than Treo, translating
strings, etc.). That being said, even the beta version of Squeaky
looks very promising!

Kind regards,

CoMedia,
Alfred Konijnenbelt

____

CoMedia [web & data concepts]            Bakemastraat 2, 3822 WJ
Amersfoort
[i] http://www.comedia.nl                                [e]
[hidden email]
[t] +31 (0)33 455 84 26   [f] +31 (0)33 455 09 38    [m] +31 (0)628
82 01 22

Re: Monitoring Services

Jono-2
try webmin and it's system and server status monitoring.

On 23/06/2006, at 2:11 AM, Marc Pope wrote:

> I am trying to build a little monitor to check if various services are
> available, ftp, mysql, http, ssh etc..
>
> Is there any easy way to do this? I've played with the net tags a
> bunch, but
> they don't seem as documented as they could be and don't seem to
> respond the
> way I expect them too.

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: Monitoring Services

Mark Palmer
I've used WhistleBlower for some time and do like it - so that's interesting
about a new version.

The current version has a bug, it will trample all over it prefs file
periodically. James Sentman acknowledged the bug and gave a work-around
(lock the prefs file in the Finder).

I think I would ultimately prefer a Lasso solution.

Jim would you consider selling the source - obviously on a 'not to be
re-sold basis'.

on 23/6/06 06:48, CoMedia web & data concepts at [hidden email] wrote:

> M i l e s. wrote:
>
>>> Has Whistleblower gone to the great bit-bin in the sky?  I live by
>> it and would hate to see that
>>
>> It has.
>>
>> The developer hasn't updated the software in a long while (since
>> 2003) and it appears the site for whistleblower is powered or managed
>> by plesk.  And is not configured for it....
>>
>> No matter...it would appear the answer to your question is a sad but
>> honest, 'YUP!".
>>
>> Let us all have a moment of silence and no double clicks.
>
> Not enterely true, Miles.
>
> James Sentman, the developer of WhistleBlower, said back in April to
> me that he is working on a new version, due out in beta within a few
> months. However, he has not been very responsive during the last
> years -- it took me some weeks to get my Light version upgraded to
> the unlimited Full version. Which is still running fine, I am having
> no problems with it besides that my new APC MasterSwitch is not
> recognized (it did work with an older version).
>
> Nevertheless I am interested in an all-Lasso solution, like Jim is
> preparing, if it is flexible enough. Personally I would like to run
> it on my own server, rather than hiring a service, and being able to
> customize it (adapting it for other mobiles than Treo, translating
> strings, etc.). That being said, even the beta version of Squeaky
> looks very promising!
>
> Kind regards,
>

> CoMedia,
> Alfred Konijnenbelt

> ____
>
> CoMedia [web & data concepts]            Bakemastraat 2, 3822 WJ
> Amersfoort
> [i] http://www.comedia.nl                                [e]
> [hidden email]
> [t] +31 (0)33 455 84 26   [f] +31 (0)33 455 09 38    [m] +31 (0)628
> 82 01 22

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: Monitoring Services

Jim Van Heule
> I think I would ultimately prefer a Lasso solution.
>
> Jim would you consider selling the source - obviously on a 'not to be
> re-sold basis'.

Let's revisit this once I get further along in the development.

I'm not so sure anyone enjoys working with another's undocumented
code. You end up spending almost as much time deciphering what they
did as you would have building it yourself. Sure, the best case would
be a perfectly documented code base, but how many of us go that far
when we write our code? It can easily take as much time to document
code as it does to write it. Currently, I don't have the luxury of
that time. I wish I did. :-)

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

Re: Monitoring Services

CoMedia
> Let's revisit this once I get further along in the development.
>
> I'm not so sure anyone enjoys working with another's undocumented
> code. You end up spending almost as much time deciphering what they
> did as you would have building it yourself. Sure, the best case would
> be a perfectly documented code base, but how many of us go that far
> when we write our code? It can easily take as much time to document
> code as it does to write it. Currently, I don't have the luxury of
> that time. I wish I did. :-)

Maybe it's a better idea to make Squeaky fully configurable and
localisable, and offer the core functionality for purchase as a
compiled lassoApp. That may be a far easier job than 'reverse
documenting' your code...

Kind regards,

CoMedia,
Alfred Konijnenbelt