Migrating from W* to Apache & Webmin

Fiorenzo de Palma
A little off topic but I need your input.

We plan to migrate our servers from WebStar V/Lasso 7 to Apache/Lasso
7 and Webmin on OSX,
for flexibility and extensibility reason.

Are there any issues with this configuration or do you have any
experience;
is Apache 1.x or Apache 2.x better for that?
OSX 10.3.x or 10.4.x?

We also do that because it's very difficult to defend the use of
WebStar/Lasso against the concerns of our customers, it's easier to
defend Apache/Lasso (cross-platform solution, Windows blah-blah....)

Thanks

Fiorenzo de Palma
MEDIANCER

Re: Migrating from W* to Apache & Webmin

Eric Landmann
Fiorenzo de Palma <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, August 20, 2005:

>A little off topic but I need your input.
>
>We plan to migrate our servers from WebStar V/Lasso 7 to Apache/Lasso
>7 and Webmin on OSX,
>for flexibility and extensibility reason.
>
>Are there any issues with this configuration or do you have any
>experience;
>is Apache 1.x or Apache 2.x better for that?
>OSX 10.3.x or 10.4.x?
>
>We also do that because it's very difficult to defend the use of
>WebStar/Lasso against the concerns of our customers, it's easier to
>defend Apache/Lasso (cross-platform solution, Windows blah-blah....)

Fiorenzo:

There are no issues relating to Apache/Lasso 7 and webmin on OS X. However, there really aren't any issues regarding WebStar, either. We run both. Not sure what you mean by "hard to defend". There have been no exploits.

Anyway, I would recommend Apache 1.x unless there is some overriding reason why you might want Apache 2 (can't think of one myself).

If you go with OS X Server (instead of client), I would recommend using OS X Server's Admin program, in conjunction with webmin, to setup and manage the sites. There are some things that are a lot easier to do in Server Admin. Conversely, there are some things that are easier in webmin, so it helps to know both.

--Eric