Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Lee Glickenhaus

Sorry if this has been asked -- couldn't find an answer in any of the usual places.

Finally dipping my toe into LP9 but can't seem to find a way to import my settings from 8.5.  Please tell me it's possible (and perhaps give me a few clues on how to go about it -- I don't see a way in the LP9 Admin stuff which looks very spare to me)  -- the thought of recreating everything from scratch is not a happy one.

Thanks

lee

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Hi there Lee,

I'm open to correction but I'm not aware of any settings migrator. It's quite a different beast and as such a lot of the underlying structure you might have been used to on 8.5 has been changed.

What sort of settings are you wanting to copy across?

I suggest moving things to 9 on a project by project basis, testing and evaluating as you go - you can run both 8.5 and 9 side by side. A lot of syntax has been tightened up with 9, and a few things have been suddenly deprecated or processes modified (not meaning to open up THAT can of worms again).

The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?

On 2010-04-05, at 2:16 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> Sorry if this has been asked -- couldn't find an answer in any of the usual places.
>
> Finally dipping my toe into LP9 but can't seem to find a way to import my settings from 8.5.  Please tell me it's possible (and perhaps give me a few clues on how to go about it -- I don't see a way in the LP9 Admin stuff which looks very spare to me)  -- the thought of recreating everything from scratch is not a happy one.
>
> Thanks
>
> lee

Jonathan Guthrie
Software Development Manager

Treefrog Interactive Inc.
www.treefrog.ca

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Lee Glickenhaus
"The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?'

-- EXACTLY!!!  Hours of work (assuming no mistakes along the way which, knowing me, is a BIG assumption) to recreate what I have in my 8.5 setup.

I also don't see an Import/Export option as there is in 8.5.  Keeping a safe backup of my Lasso settings that I can load in the event of various types of emergency is a key piece of my disaster recovery plans.

Thanks for the reply.

On Apr 5, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> Hi there Lee,
>
> I'm open to correction but I'm not aware of any settings migrator. It's quite a different beast and as such a lot of the underlying structure you might have been used to on 8.5 has been changed.
>
> What sort of settings are you wanting to copy across?
>
> I suggest moving things to 9 on a project by project basis, testing and evaluating as you go - you can run both 8.5 and 9 side by side. A lot of syntax has been tightened up with 9, and a few things have been suddenly deprecated or processes modified (not meaning to open up THAT can of worms again).
>
> The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?
>

> On 2010-04-05, at 2:16 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>

>> Sorry if this has been asked -- couldn't find an answer in any of the usual places.
>>
>> Finally dipping my toe into LP9 but can't seem to find a way to import my settings from 8.5.  Please tell me it's possible (and perhaps give me a few clues on how to go about it -- I don't see a way in the LP9 Admin stuff which looks very spare to me)  -- the thought of recreating everything from scratch is not a happy one.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> lee
>
> Jonathan Guthrie
> Software Development Manager
>
> Treefrog Interactive Inc.
> www.treefrog.ca

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Hi Lee,

I hear ya. IMHO there are quite a few things in the admin that should be in the "to be done" list, I am not aware that this one's on LS's radar although it should be.

The L9 admin is "open", and discussing it just now here in the office, we need it too, so one of us here might write it after hours and submit it to Kyle for evaluation and inclusion in the general distro. The problem here is we're so frikken busy it's all about *time*.

So watch this space, bear in mind the finer points of L9 are a work in progress. It hasn't stopped us from writing a certain large app in L9-specific code :)

On 2010-04-05, at 2:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> "The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?'
>
> -- EXACTLY!!!  Hours of work (assuming no mistakes along the way which, knowing me, is a BIG assumption) to recreate what I have in my 8.5 setup.
>
> I also don't see an Import/Export option as there is in 8.5.  Keeping a safe backup of my Lasso settings that I can load in the event of various types of emergency is a key piece of my disaster recovery plans.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>
>> Hi there Lee,
>>
>> I'm open to correction but I'm not aware of any settings migrator. It's quite a different beast and as such a lot of the underlying structure you might have been used to on 8.5 has been changed.
>>
>> What sort of settings are you wanting to copy across?
>>
>> I suggest moving things to 9 on a project by project basis, testing and evaluating as you go - you can run both 8.5 and 9 side by side. A lot of syntax has been tightened up with 9, and a few things have been suddenly deprecated or processes modified (not meaning to open up THAT can of worms again).
>>
>> The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?
>>

>> On 2010-04-05, at 2:16 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry if this has been asked -- couldn't find an answer in any of the usual places.
>>>
>>> Finally dipping my toe into LP9 but can't seem to find a way to import my settings from 8.5.  Please tell me it's possible (and perhaps give me a few clues on how to go about it -- I don't see a way in the LP9 Admin stuff which looks very spare to me)  -- the thought of recreating everything from scratch is not a happy one.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> lee
>>
>> Jonathan Guthrie
>> Software Development Manager
>>
>> Treefrog Interactive Inc.
>> www.treefrog.ca
>> [hidden email]

Jonathan Guthrie
Software Development Manager

Treefrog Interactive Inc.
www.treefrog.ca

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Tim Taplin
I would second the suggestion to move one project at a time. This will allow you to make your setup and config changes one at a time, so you wont have to dedicate hours to initially setting things up.

Secondly, since the users and groups are currently used only for authentication to the admin area, you wont have as much to do there as you might expect.

Third, regarding database setup, if you have multiple db users connecting to the same db server, I'm not entirely clear how this should be configured. ( tips, pointers, Anyone?? ) but you should be able to get your projects up and running relatively easily just by configuring access to each of your db servers used by the site.

If no one has done this already, it would seem to be moderately easy to create a settings export tag which would dump the sqlite tables out to a backup destination. If this is holding you up and no one else has a simpler solution, I'd offer to help you come up with such a solution.

Tim Taplin

On Apr 5, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> "The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?'
>
> -- EXACTLY!!!  Hours of work (assuming no mistakes along the way which, knowing me, is a BIG assumption) to recreate what I have in my 8.5 setup.
>
> I also don't see an Import/Export option as there is in 8.5.  Keeping a safe backup of my Lasso settings that I can load in the event of various types of emergency is a key piece of my disaster recovery plans.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>
>> Hi there Lee,
>>
>> I'm open to correction but I'm not aware of any settings migrator. It's quite a different beast and as such a lot of the underlying structure you might have been used to on 8.5 has been changed.
>>
>> What sort of settings are you wanting to copy across?
>>
>> I suggest moving things to 9 on a project by project basis, testing and evaluating as you go - you can run both 8.5 and 9 side by side. A lot of syntax has been tightened up with 9, and a few things have been suddenly deprecated or processes modified (not meaning to open up THAT can of worms again).
>>
>> The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?
>>

>> On 2010-04-05, at 2:16 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry if this has been asked -- couldn't find an answer in any of the usual places.
>>>
>>> Finally dipping my toe into LP9 but can't seem to find a way to import my settings from 8.5.  Please tell me it's possible (and perhaps give me a few clues on how to go about it -- I don't see a way in the LP9 Admin stuff which looks very spare to me)  -- the thought of recreating everything from scratch is not a happy one.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> lee
>>
>> Jonathan Guthrie
>> Software Development Manager
>>
>> Treefrog Interactive Inc.
>> www.treefrog.ca
>> [hidden email]

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Lee Glickenhaus
Frankly I can't even figure out how to assign db permissions :(

I'm in localhost/lasso9/admin and have set up my host, one group and one user. But I can't see how to assign db permissions to a user or group.  Am I in the equivalent of 8.5 "Server Admin" and I have to get to a "Site Admin" somehow?

I realize that the docs are non-existent but is there any way to begin to penetrate this beast?

PS -- also wondering how to set up LP9 to process .html files.  Is that done the same way as it was in LP8.x?

I'm eager to dig into this new tool but without a map I will clearly be up a creek.  Sigh.

On Apr 5, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Tim Taplin wrote:

> I would second the suggestion to move one project at a time. This will allow you to make your setup and config changes one at a time, so you wont have to dedicate hours to initially setting things up.
>
> Secondly, since the users and groups are currently used only for authentication to the admin area, you wont have as much to do there as you might expect.
>
> Third, regarding database setup, if you have multiple db users connecting to the same db server, I'm not entirely clear how this should be configured. ( tips, pointers, Anyone?? ) but you should be able to get your projects up and running relatively easily just by configuring access to each of your db servers used by the site.
>
> If no one has done this already, it would seem to be moderately easy to create a settings export tag which would dump the sqlite tables out to a backup destination. If this is holding you up and no one else has a simpler solution, I'd offer to help you come up with such a solution.
>
> Tim Taplin
>
> On Apr 5, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>
>> "The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?'
>>
>> -- EXACTLY!!!  Hours of work (assuming no mistakes along the way which, knowing me, is a BIG assumption) to recreate what I have in my 8.5 setup.
>>
>> I also don't see an Import/Export option as there is in 8.5.  Keeping a safe backup of my Lasso settings that I can load in the event of various types of emergency is a key piece of my disaster recovery plans.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>

>> On Apr 5, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there Lee,
>>>
>>> I'm open to correction but I'm not aware of any settings migrator. It's quite a different beast and as such a lot of the underlying structure you might have been used to on 8.5 has been changed.
>>>
>>> What sort of settings are you wanting to copy across?
>>>
>>> I suggest moving things to 9 on a project by project basis, testing and evaluating as you go - you can run both 8.5 and 9 side by side. A lot of syntax has been tightened up with 9, and a few things have been suddenly deprecated or processes modified (not meaning to open up THAT can of worms again).
>>>
>>> The main thing I would assume you'd want to copy across are the users/groups, and database/host permissions & setup?

>>> Jonathan Guthrie
>>> Software Development Manager
>>>
>>> Treefrog Interactive Inc.
>>> www.treefrog.ca
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Brad Lindsay-2
On Apr 5, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
> Frankly I can't even figure out how to assign db permissions :(
>
> I'm in localhost/lasso9/admin and have set up my host, one group and one user. But I can't see how to assign db permissions to a user or group.  Am I in the equivalent of 8.5 "Server Admin" and I have to get to a "Site Admin" somehow?

You assign DB permissions via your DB.  Set your permissions for the user you used to add a host to lasso 9 on your DB correctly, and everything should work.  No need to assign an extra level of permissions that are specific to lasso as lasso just inherits what you setup at the database level.  This is a huge improvement, IMHO

> PS -- also wondering how to set up LP9 to process .html files.  Is that done the same way as it was in LP8.x?

Can definitely be done.  Im the Apache configuration file you'll see a line that looks like this:
AddType application/x-httpd-lasso9 .lasso .lasso9

Just add a space and .html to the end of that line:
AddType application/x-httpd-lasso9 .lasso .lasso9 .html

Hope this helps,
Brad

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

John May-2
On 4/5/10 4:19 PM, Brad Lindsay wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>> Frankly I can't even figure out how to assign db permissions :(
>>
>> I'm in localhost/lasso9/admin and have set up my host, one group
>> and one user. But I can't see how to assign db permissions to a
>> user or group.  Am I in the equivalent of 8.5 "Server Admin" and I
>> have to get to a "Site Admin" somehow?
>
> You assign DB permissions via your DB.  Set your permissions for the
> user you used to add a host to lasso 9 on your DB correctly, and
> everything should work.  No need to assign an extra level of
> permissions that are specific to lasso as lasso just inherits what
> you setup at the database level.  This is a huge improvement, IMHO

So what are the users + groups in 9's admin for then?

        - John

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:17 PM, John May wrote:

> On 4/5/10 4:19 PM, Brad Lindsay wrote:
>> On Apr 5, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>>> Frankly I can't even figure out how to assign db permissions :(
>>>
>>> I'm in localhost/lasso9/admin and have set up my host, one group
>>> and one user. But I can't see how to assign db permissions to a
>>> user or group.  Am I in the equivalent of 8.5 "Server Admin" and I
>>> have to get to a "Site Admin" somehow?
>>
>> You assign DB permissions via your DB.  Set your permissions for the
>> user you used to add a host to lasso 9 on your DB correctly, and
>> everything should work.  No need to assign an extra level of
>> permissions that are specific to lasso as lasso just inherits what
>> you setup at the database level.  This is a huge improvement, IMHO
>>

> So what are the users + groups in 9's admin for then?

As far as I can tell, determining who can log into the Admin interface.

Brad

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

gzasuwa
Sounds like you did what I have done with 8.5.  I have 270 users in a
Group defined in Lasso Admin.  If I have to move all of them to the DB
level, then that sounds like you have to create a separate USER
database yourself, with passwords that can access the DB that have a
primary single or multiple user account.

Sincerely,

Gerard Zasuwa Gary
Senior Systems Analyst
Henry Ford Health System
Greenfield Health System
(313)-916-2651 work
(313)-585-9621 NEW CELL
(248)-360-0456 home

On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:17 PM, John May wrote:

> On 4/5/10 4:19 PM, Brad Lindsay wrote:
>> On Apr 5, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>>> Frankly I can't even figure out how to assign db permissions :(
>>>
>>> I'm in localhost/lasso9/admin and have set up my host, one group
>>> and one user. But I can't see how to assign db permissions to a
>>> user or group.  Am I in the equivalent of 8.5 "Server Admin" and I
>>> have to get to a "Site Admin" somehow?
>>
>> You assign DB permissions via your DB.  Set your permissions for the
>> user you used to add a host to lasso 9 on your DB correctly, and
>> everything should work.  No need to assign an extra level of
>> permissions that are specific to lasso as lasso just inherits what
>> you setup at the database level.  This is a huge improvement, IMHO
>>

> So what are the users + groups in 9's admin for then?
>
> - John

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Ke Carlton-3
And / or support for the auth tags.

Personally I've always used custom methods for user / group management
- but it's possible that others uses this approach in conjunction with
the html authentication header...

Ke

On 5 April 2010 22:45, Brad Lindsay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:17 PM, John May wrote:
>>
>> So what are the users + groups in 9's admin for then?
>
> As far as I can tell, determining who can log into the Admin interface.
>
> Brad

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Clive Bruton

On 5 Apr 2010, at 22:51, Zasuwa wrote:

> Sounds like you did what I have done with 8.5.  I have 270 users in
> a Group defined in Lasso Admin.  If I have to move all of them to
> the DB level, then that sounds like you have to create a separate
> USER database yourself, with passwords that can access the DB that
> have a primary single or multiple user account.

I think you don't want to do that (multiple user accounts), unless
you have a really good reason for having each of them have different
database privileges. Assuming they are all the same, then you'll want
a database of users/passwords, when they pass that hurdle then you'll
give them access with a single database user/password combination.
Even if they had different privileges, I think I'd be trying to
manage that by the modules in the solution that they can access,
rather than trying to give them different privileges as MySQL users
(which may not achieve the same thing anyway).

-- Clive

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

gzasuwa
It's just that Lasso used to manage that task - even though it did it ungloriously, it was reliable and steady. It was a way to avoid having to write an additional database to manage the housekeeping and registration of users. Of course, it lacked over -the-net encryption of course, but in some situations (internal company-wide) that's really not an issue per-se. I am not sure I have time right now to adopt this task - it might have to wait till later, and so will Lasso 9. Gary Zasuwa

> Sounds like you did what I have done with 8.5. I have 270 users in
> a Group defined in Lasso Admin. If I have to move all of them to
> the DB level, then that sounds like you have to create a separate
> USER database yourself, with passwords that can access the DB that
> have a primary single or multiple user account.

I think you don't want to do that (multiple user accounts), unless
you have a really good reason for having each of them have different
database privileges. Assuming they are all the same, then you'll want
a database of users/passwords, when they pass that hurdle then you'll
give them access with a single database user/password combination.
Even if they had different privileges, I think I'd be trying to
manage that by the modules in the solution that they can access,
rather than trying to give them different privileges as MySQL users
(which may not achieve the same thing anyway).

-- Clive

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

Tim Taplin
your assumption is what I would recommend.

I've always felt that the users and groups in lasso admin were not flexible or useable enough to use for actual user level permissions, so have only used them to define general groups of privilege and used a user database in mysql to control actual login and web app level permissions. From what I've seen of most of the open solutions I've seen, this is fairly normal although I have seen a few people go so far as to just open it all up on one user and then control with their own user database completely.

I think you'll find that not having to fight with the rather convoluted lasso security will be a relief.

Tim Taplin

On Apr 5, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Zasuwa wrote:

> Sounds like you did what I have done with 8.5.  I have 270 users in a Group defined in Lasso Admin.  If I have to move all of them to the DB level, then that sounds like you have to create a separate USER database yourself, with passwords that can access the DB that have a primary single or multiple user account.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gerard Zasuwa Gary
> Senior Systems Analyst
> Henry Ford Health System
> Greenfield Health System
> (313)-916-2651 work
> (313)-585-9621 NEW CELL
> (248)-360-0456 home
>

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:17 PM, John May wrote:

>>> You assign DB permissions via your DB.  Set your permissions for the
>>> user you used to add a host to lasso 9 on your DB correctly, and
>>> everything should work.  No need to assign an extra level of
>>> permissions that are specific to lasso as lasso just inherits what
>>> you setup at the database level.  This is a huge improvement, IMHO
>>>

>> So what are the users + groups in 9's admin for then?
>>
>> - John

>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>
>>      Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>         on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Migrate settings from 8 to 9

dguardiola

Le 6 avr. 10 à 03:11, [hidden email] a écrit :

> It's just that Lasso used to manage that task - even though it did
> it ungloriously, it was reliable and steady.

When I came back to lasso (it was 8.5), some people on this list
convinced me to make a user db rather than use Lasso's one. This way I
can add any field I want and expand capabilities.

I guess someone could write a lasso script that will import every
lasso user, iterating through them with lasso users and groups tags
and fill a MySQL db quickly...

> It was a way to avoid having to write an additional database to
> manage the housekeeping and registration of users. Of course, it
> lacked over -the-net encryption of course, but in some situations
> (internal company-wide) that's really not an issue per-se. I am not
> sure I have time right now to adopt this task - it might have to
> wait till later, and so will Lasso 9. Gary Zasuwa

Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/
• Tel : 04.27.86.84.37
• GSM : 06.15.13.22.27