MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

stevepiercy
I am evaluating various CSS editors (currently using BBEdit with Preview, but it has shortcomings).  I looked at Western Civilizations StyleMaster, but disliked the GUI elements (too many clicks needed, not easily keyboard accessible).  I've moved on to try out Coda and CSSEdit (still evaluating).

I stumbled across this bit of interesting news, a new text editor that supposedly rivals Coda, currently in public beta, from the makers of CSSEdit.

http://macrabbit.com/espresso/

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

jasonhuck
Are you going to create a "Sugar" (what they're calling their plugins)
for Lasso? There doesn't appear to be one yet:

http://fileability.net/coffee/index.php

This doesn't look too bad. It'll be interesting to see if it takes
off. Still, I can't get too excited about yet another new text editor
that doesn't consider integrated source code management to be an
essential feature right out of the box. (I do see that someone has
created a git.sugar, so maybe someone is working on svn.sugar, too.)
Since these guys make CSSEdit, they've probably got a leg up on most
of the competition, but it's a *very* crowded space.

- jason

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am evaluating various CSS editors (currently using BBEdit with Preview, but it has shortcomings).  I looked at Western Civilizations StyleMaster, but disliked the GUI elements (too many clicks needed, not easily keyboard accessible).  I've moved on to try out Coda and CSSEdit (still evaluating).
>
> I stumbled across this bit of interesting news, a new text editor that supposedly rivals Coda, currently in public beta, from the makers of CSSEdit.
>
> http://macrabbit.com/espresso/
>
> --steve
>

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Waters, Thomas C
Has anyone looked at the way Dreamweaver CS4 manages CSS, PHP, and
other external files?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:27 AM, "Jason Huck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you going to create a "Sugar" (what they're calling their plugins)
> for Lasso? There doesn't appear to be one yet:
>
> http://fileability.net/coffee/index.php
>
> This doesn't look too bad. It'll be interesting to see if it takes
> off. Still, I can't get too excited about yet another new text editor
> that doesn't consider integrated source code management to be an
> essential feature right out of the box. (I do see that someone has
> created a git.sugar, so maybe someone is working on svn.sugar, too.)
> Since these guys make CSSEdit, they've probably got a leg up on most
> of the competition, but it's a *very* crowded space.
>
> - jason
>

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am evaluating various CSS editors (currently using BBEdit with
>> Preview, but it has shortcomings).  I looked at Western
>> Civilizations StyleMaster, but disliked the GUI elements (too many
>> clicks needed, not easily keyboard accessible).  I've moved on to
>> try out Coda and CSSEdit (still evaluating).
>>
>> I stumbled across this bit of interesting news, a new text editor
>> that supposedly rivals Coda, currently in public beta, from the
>> makers of CSSEdit.
>>
>> http://macrabbit.com/espresso/
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

decorior
Without good source code control it will struggle.

Deco
On Jan 10, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Waters, Thomas C wrote:

> Has anyone looked at the way Dreamweaver CS4 manages CSS, PHP, and
> other external files?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:27 AM, "Jason Huck" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Are you going to create a "Sugar" (what they're calling their
>> plugins)
>> for Lasso? There doesn't appear to be one yet:
>>
>> http://fileability.net/coffee/index.php
>>
>> This doesn't look too bad. It'll be interesting to see if it takes
>> off. Still, I can't get too excited about yet another new text editor
>> that doesn't consider integrated source code management to be an
>> essential feature right out of the box. (I do see that someone has
>> created a git.sugar, so maybe someone is working on svn.sugar, too.)
>> Since these guys make CSSEdit, they've probably got a leg up on most
>> of the competition, but it's a *very* crowded space.
>>
>> - jason
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am evaluating various CSS editors (currently using BBEdit with
>>> Preview, but it has shortcomings).  I looked at Western
>>> Civilizations StyleMaster, but disliked the GUI elements (too many
>>> clicks needed, not easily keyboard accessible).  I've moved on to
>>> try out Coda and CSSEdit (still evaluating).
>>>
>>> I stumbled across this bit of interesting news, a new text editor
>>> that supposedly rivals Coda, currently in public beta, from the
>>> makers of CSSEdit.
>>>
>>> http://macrabbit.com/espresso/
>>>
>>> --steve
>>>

>>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>
>>>
>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
>> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Indeed.

I did not look closely enough to correctly interpret their marketing-speak:

    "Extremely powerful editing, sleek projects, live preview (we
    make CSSEdit!), real publishing and ***extensive synchronization
    tools.***"

Bah.  Which means, no lasso.sugar from me.

--steve

On Saturday, January 10, 2009, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:

>Are you going to create a "Sugar" (what they're calling their plugins)
>for Lasso? There doesn't appear to be one yet:
>
>http://fileability.net/coffee/index.php
>
>This doesn't look too bad. It'll be interesting to see if it takes
>off. Still, I can't get too excited about yet another new text editor
>that doesn't consider integrated source code management to be an
>essential feature right out of the box. (I do see that someone has
>created a git.sugar, so maybe someone is working on svn.sugar, too.)
>Since these guys make CSSEdit, they've probably got a leg up on most
>of the competition, but it's a *very* crowded space.
>
>- jason
>

>On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am evaluating various CSS editors (currently using BBEdit with Preview, but it
>has shortcomings).  I looked at Western Civilizations StyleMaster, but disliked the
>GUI elements (too many clicks needed, not easily keyboard accessible).  I've moved
>on to try out Coda and CSSEdit (still evaluating).
>>
>> I stumbled across this bit of interesting news, a new text editor that supposedly
>rivals Coda, currently in public beta, from the makers of CSSEdit.
>>
>> http://macrabbit.com/espresso/
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

>tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
><http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

I gave up on DW back on version MX years ago.  I found that DW just got in the way of productivity and occasionally screwed things up.  I admit it was a great help to me for learning basic HTML and CSS, but not much more.  BBEdit has live preview and Interarchy has solid FTP (and other protocols).

More recently Lasso Studio for Eclipse has entered my toolkit, and I have found it provides a lot more functionality than the "server technology" LS4DW provided.

The only hole in my toolkit is a nice GUI CSS editor.  BBEdit is just okay because it lacks the ability to render the page then examine an element on the page.  I currently rely on the Firefox plugin Firebug to do that, but it is a slow process to switch between apps and reload.

Now that I think about it, is there a solid Eclipse plugin for GUI CSS editing?

--steve

On Saturday, January 10, 2009, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C) pronounced:

>Has anyone looked at the way Dreamweaver CS4 manages CSS, PHP, and
>other external files?
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:27 AM, "Jason Huck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Are you going to create a "Sugar" (what they're calling their plugins)
>> for Lasso? There doesn't appear to be one yet:
>>
>> http://fileability.net/coffee/index.php
>>
>> This doesn't look too bad. It'll be interesting to see if it takes
>> off. Still, I can't get too excited about yet another new text editor
>> that doesn't consider integrated source code management to be an
>> essential feature right out of the box. (I do see that someone has
>> created a git.sugar, so maybe someone is working on svn.sugar, too.)
>> Since these guys make CSSEdit, they've probably got a leg up on most
>> of the competition, but it's a *very* crowded space.
>>
>> - jason
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am evaluating various CSS editors (currently using BBEdit with
>>> Preview, but it has shortcomings).  I looked at Western
>>> Civilizations StyleMaster, but disliked the GUI elements (too many
>>> clicks needed, not easily keyboard accessible).  I've moved on to
>>> try out Coda and CSSEdit (still evaluating).
>>>
>>> I stumbled across this bit of interesting news, a new text editor
>>> that supposedly rivals Coda, currently in public beta, from the
>>> makers of CSSEdit.
>>>
>>> http://macrabbit.com/espresso/
>>>
>>> --steve
>>>

>>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>
>>>
>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
>> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Waters, Thomas C
So did many others and Adobe made some dramatc changes to better suit
the way productive people- people who spend lots of time in code view
work.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2009, at 5:56 PM, "Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder" <[hidden email]
 > wrote:

> I gave up on DW back on version MX years ago.  I found that DW just
> got in the way of productivity and occasionally screwed things up.
> I admit it was a great help to me for learning basic HTML and CSS,
> but not much more.  BBEdit has live preview and Interarchy has solid
> FTP (and other protocols).
>
> More recently Lasso Studio for Eclipse has entered my toolkit, and I
> have found it provides a lot more functionality than the "server
> technology" LS4DW provided.
>
> The only hole in my toolkit is a nice GUI CSS editor.  BBEdit is
> just okay because it lacks the ability to render the page then
> examine an element on the page.  I currently rely on the Firefox
> plugin Firebug to do that, but it is a slow process to switch
> between apps and reload.
>
> Now that I think about it, is there a solid Eclipse plugin for GUI
> CSS editing?
>
> --steve
>

> On Saturday, January 10, 2009, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C)
> pronounced:
>
>> Has anyone looked at the way Dreamweaver CS4 manages CSS, PHP, and
>> other external files?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:27 AM, "Jason Huck" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you going to create a "Sugar" (what they're calling their
>>> plugins)
>>> for Lasso? There doesn't appear to be one yet:
>>>
>>> http://fileability.net/coffee/index.php
>>>
>>> This doesn't look too bad. It'll be interesting to see if it takes
>>> off. Still, I can't get too excited about yet another new text
>>> editor
>>> that doesn't consider integrated source code management to be an
>>> essential feature right out of the box. (I do see that someone has
>>> created a git.sugar, so maybe someone is working on svn.sugar, too.)
>>> Since these guys make CSSEdit, they've probably got a leg up on most
>>> of the competition, but it's a *very* crowded space.
>>>
>>> - jason

>>> --
>>> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
>>> <http://tagSwap.net/>
>>>
>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
>>>

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Nathan Zabaldo
Test

Brian K. Middendorf
On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Without good source code control it will struggle.

What is source code control?

-brian.

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

dguardiola

Le 10 janv. 09 à 23:56, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder a écrit :
> The only hole in my toolkit is a nice GUI CSS editor.

Steve, CSSEdit is your best bet in graphical CSS Editors. But you need
a Mac.

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Source Code Control is the use of products such as subversion, CVS, or
perforce.

It allows you to basically maintain an entire development history as
well as allow multiple developers to work on the same code.

Basically when you work on a file you check it out of a repository and
then when you are done you check it in again.

If you accidently delete something or screw it up you can always go
back and get the file.

There are huge advantages to a SCC system,and once you use one I doubt
you will ever develop without one again :-)

We use it a lot to go back and look at what we did. For example, if we
think we fixed a bug several months ago, and it crops up again we can

Last year we switched to a combination of:

CODA (Editing)
FogzBug (Defect Tracking System)
Beanstalk (Subversion repository)

These are all linked together which allows us to log a defect in
support and see exactly what files were modified (and the code
changes) to fix the problem.

We chose both FogzBug and Beanstallk SAAS services, because then we
don't have to worry about setup and maintenance.

Deco

On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:05 PM, Brian K. Middendorf wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>> Without good source code control it will struggle.
>
> What is source code control?
>
> -brian.

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

stevepiercy
I think Brian was being facetious.  It's hard to tell sometimes.

http://www.nabble.com/CSS%3DJS%3DAJAX%3DFlash%3DCheap-Hosting-to3565991.html#a3566048

Or maybe philosophical?  "If I choose not to use source code control, does it make a noise?"

--steve

On Sunday, January 11, 2009, [hidden email] (Deco Rior) pronounced:

>Source Code Control is the use of products such as subversion, CVS, or
>perforce.

<snip>

>Deco
>
>On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:05 PM, Brian K. Middendorf wrote:
>
>> On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>>> Without good source code control it will struggle.
>>
>> What is source code control?
>>
>> -brian.

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

decorior
It still amazes me how many people don't link their code changes to
their defect tracking system

(i.e. most link code to SVN but not to CRM)

FogzBug is about the best we have seen. In fact this was why we
eliminated Eric's bug-tracking system as viable last year.

Deco

On Jan 11, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Deco Rior wrote:

> It still amazes me how many people don't link their code changes to
> their defect tracking system

Are you in sales or upper management?  Because, as a developer, I can
tell you that software does not have defects--it always work as coded.

<http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Stop_Reviewing_the_Code.aspx#86214>

Now, there may be errors in documentation, wrongfully promised
features/functionality by sales/management, misinterpretations of
functionality by the support staff, misinterpretations of
functionality by customers, etc, but software does always work as
coded.  It's a universal law.

-brian.

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

decorior
Are you advocating not using SCC?

On Jan 11, 2009, at 10:09 PM, Brian K. Middendorf wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>> It still amazes me how many people don't link their code changes to
>> their defect tracking system
>
> Are you in sales or upper management?  Because, as a developer, I
> can tell you that software does not have defects--it always work as
> coded.
>
> <http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Stop_Reviewing_the_Code.aspx#86214>
>
> Now, there may be errors in documentation, wrongfully promised
> features/functionality by sales/management, misinterpretations of
> functionality by the support staff, misinterpretations of
> functionality by customers, etc, but software does always work as
> coded.  It's a universal law.
>
> -brian.

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Tim Taplin
I think that Brian may need a tutorial on the use of [sarcasm] [/
sarcasm] tags. Or perhaps the reverse, that some of us may need to
learn to see the implied usage of same.

I enjoyed the skewering of sales/management types.  Unfortunately, I
usually only have myself to blame when it comes to these problems
since I usually have to wear the sales/management/support hats in
addition to the developer hat.

Tim

On Jan 12, 2009, at 7:16 AM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Are you advocating not using SCC?
>
> On Jan 11, 2009, at 10:09 PM, Brian K. Middendorf wrote:
>
>> On Jan 11, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>>> It still amazes me how many people don't link their code changes
>>> to their defect tracking system
>>
>> Are you in sales or upper management?  Because, as a developer, I
>> can tell you that software does not have defects--it always work
>> as coded.
>>
>> <http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Stop_Reviewing_the_Code.aspx#86214>
>>
>> Now, there may be errors in documentation, wrongfully promised
>> features/functionality by sales/management, misinterpretations of
>> functionality by the support staff, misinterpretations of
>> functionality by customers, etc, but software does always work as
>> coded.  It's a universal law.
>>
>> -brian.

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

decorior
LOL

Agreed

Lasso attracts a very broad range of skill-sets from trained
developers to those trained in other fields. It was not all that long
ago that implementation and maintenance of an SCC system was beyond
the scope of many small software development efforts.

Tim Taplin wrote on 1/12/2009 8:36 AM:
> I think that Brian may need a tutorial on the use of [sarcasm]
> [/sarcasm] tags. Or perhaps the reverse, that some of us may need to
> learn to see the implied usage of same.

Probably need some list rules...

Rules for LassoTalk
-------------------

        (1) Always add [sarcasm] around whatever the 'Dorf (Brian) writes.

        (2) Always wait 10 minutes before replying to any question posed by Alex Pilson, because most likely he will have answered his own question within that timeframe.

        (3) Pictures of yourself may be used against you (ask SuperMiles).

        (4) Do NOT ever bring up "Filemaker vs. MySQL" as a topic of discussion

I'm sure others have a few more...

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

decorior
(5) Never try to beat Bill to answer unless you can handle
disappointment

On Jan 12, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Tim Taplin wrote on 1/12/2009 8:36 AM:
>> I think that Brian may need a tutorial on the use of [sarcasm]
>> [/sarcasm] tags. Or perhaps the reverse, that some of us may need to
>> learn to see the implied usage of same.
>
> Probably need some list rules...
>

> Rules for LassoTalk
> -------------------
>
> (1) Always add [sarcasm] around whatever the 'Dorf (Brian) writes.
>
> (2) Always wait 10 minutes before replying to any question posed by
> Alex Pilson, because most likely he will have answered his own
> question within that timeframe.
>
> (3) Pictures of yourself may be used against you (ask SuperMiles).
>
> (4) Do NOT ever bring up "Filemaker vs. MySQL" as a topic of
> discussion
>

> I'm sure others have a few more...
>

> - Bil

Re: MacRabbit public beta of Espresso web editor

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
Deco Rior wrote:
> (5) Never try to beat Bill to answer unless you can handle disappointment

Very true

--
Jonathan Vanherpe - Tallieu & Tallieu NV - [hidden email]