Looking to move up from LP 8.5.6

Jerad Hoff-2
Greetings,

I have helping a non-profit out for the past 5-6 years writing little solutions here and there in Lasso 8.5.6 running on a old mac mini of mine. We’ve decided it’s time for them to get their own server to partially reduce the “hit by a bus” scenario if I disappear and my server goes with me (there’s also the issue where I’m using software nobody has heard of, but at least it will run until they can find a volunteer to re-write it in php or whatever). I’m worried about trying to get 8.5 running in the latest linux or Mac OS (not sure yet on the server type).

I started with Tango, moving over to Lasso 2.5 back in the day. Anyway, I never advanced to the LassoScript stuff, I’m still an old-school put everything in brackets kind of guy. I mention this because I’m trying to figure out why Lasso 8.6 is still for sale when 9.3 is out in the wild. Are there issues moving to 9.x when upgrading 8.x sites that 8.6 needs to remain available? I’m a little confused by 8.6 and 9.3 both being available and both costing the same.

Also I see now that the licenses include “instances” of the software. Does this mean if I get three instances with my license, I can run one of the instances on a completely different server as a backup? Or do all of the instances need to remain one one computer?

That said, is this worrying for nothing? Can I simply move my 8.5 license to a newer server running the latest linux or Mac OS and will it still work? I’m almost done ditching FMP as a datasource, so that won’t be a worry any longer.

Thanks for the advice guys!

   - Jerad

Re: Looking to move up from LP 8.5.6

Tom Parker-16
Hi Jerad,

I do not often post here, but I am replying to you because I am probably
more in your situation than others who post frequently on this list.

(Preface: I remain forever grateful to the Treefrog/ new LassoSoft folks
who have kept Lasso alive as long as they have, and these suggestions
are not in any way intended to disrespect what you have done for Lasso.)

I have a large web-based commercial software application that has been
Lasso-based since 2001.  It is currently running on Lasso 8.6 because it
would have taken too much time to convert it to Lasso 9.x.  When/if it
needs a new cycle of development, we will rewrite it in a different
language such as Python or php.  Lasso 8.6 and 9.3 are (in my mind)
essentially different languages because it takes significant work to get
a complex 8.6 site to work completely in 9.3 (I have never accomplished
it despite having succeeded at developing several complete applications
in previous versions of Lasso), so when we considered the next language,
we evaluated 9.3 as if it was a completely different language and chose
not to pursue it.

I also have two internal applications I use to run my business--both are
running on 8.6.  I joined the Certified Lasso Developer (CLD) program (I
think that is what it is called) whenever Treefrog took over Lasso, and
that costs $49/month and you get three instances of whichever Lasso
version you prefer and you can use those instances on different
servers--which I think is more flexible than the normal subscription.
The "test" to become a CLD is fairly trivial, easy to pass, if you have
built anything in Lasso and can Google for obscure questions.

However, I will be having a college student convert these internal
applications to python or php later this summer as I am worried about
future server operating systems supporting Lasso 8.6.

I taught my son how to program using Lasso when he was 11, and he has
built a few applications since then.  This summer, he used Lasso and
other tools to build an interactive spatial database cataloguing music
composers in Paris during the 1920's and accounting for how history and
geography influenced their compositions.  I was letting him use one of
my servers which had Lasso 8.6 running on it, but the University where
he is interning was not interested in supporting a subscription-based
software to run their interactive web site so he rewrote the Lasso
portions in php, which was fairly painless apparently.  I'd advise you
to go this route.

You should contact LassoSoft directly (not via this list) and ask them
about their plans for Lasso, if you are considering trying to stay with
Lasso as your language.

Good luck,

--Tom Parker