Length of Connect Time for CWP connections

Length of Connect Time for CWP connections

Keith M. Rettig
I asked this last year and wasn’t able to get a definitive response.  Hoping someone has had the issue since and has a solution.

Using Filemaker Server 16, Apache on Mac, and Lasso.
The calls to the database stay connected, as reported in the Clients tab of the Activity pane of Filemaker Server, for 5 minutes.
There is no reason for them to hang so long.  The transactions are over and done in about 1 second or less.
I don’t see much re-use of the connections (I am under the impression the connections stay cached for re-use if from the same IP address.  One web server for all requests, so every connection should, in theory, be available for re-use.).  Connections all identify the same LassoUser that is set up for the connection from Lasso to Filemaker datasource.

Can someone explain how FIlemaker decides on using an existing connection with Lasso versus starting up a new connection for the Lasso call?
Any ideas as to what parameter or setting is controlling this?
I have an impending nightmare scenario; they want every kiosk (~500) to submit a heartbeat every 30 seconds.  Without super efficient re-use of the connections this will exceed my limit of 220 Filemaker Server connections in very short time.  Not good at all!

Thanks for any ideas.
Keith.

PS.  I posted this to the FilemakerTalk list last week as well; sorry if you are seeing it again but the post has been modified.

Re: Length of Connect Time for CWP connections

stevepiercy
I'd move the data into an SQL datasource and have Lasso connect
to that instead of FM, then use ESS for those few clients who
need a FMP GUI.

--steve

On 10/9/18 at 9:05 PM, [hidden email] (Keith M. Rettig) pronounced:

>I asked this last year and wasn’t able to get a definitive
>response.  Hoping someone has had the issue since and has a solution.
>
>Using Filemaker Server 16, Apache on Mac, and Lasso.
>The calls to the database stay connected, as reported in the
>Clients tab of the Activity pane of Filemaker Server, for 5 minutes.
>There is no reason for them to hang so long.  The transactions
>are over and done in about 1 second or less.
>I don’t see much re-use of the connections (I am under the
>impression the connections stay cached for re-use if from the
>same IP address.  One web server for all requests, so every
>connection should, in theory, be available for re-use.).
>Connections all identify the same LassoUser that is set up for
>the connection from Lasso to Filemaker datasource.
>Can someone explain how FIlemaker decides on using an existing
>connection with Lasso versus starting up a new connection for
>the Lasso call?
>Any ideas as to what parameter or setting is controlling this?
>I have an impending nightmare scenario; they want every kiosk
>(~500) to submit a heartbeat every 30 seconds.  Without super
>efficient re-use of the connections this will exceed my limit
>of 220 Filemaker Server connections in very short time.  Not
>good at all!
>
>Thanks for any ideas.
>Keith.
>
>PS.  I posted this to the FilemakerTalk list last week as well;
>sorry if you are seeing it again but the post has been modified.

>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Eugene, OR
<[hidden email]>               <http://www.stevepiercy.com/>

Re: Length of Connect Time for CWP connections

Stephen Smiroldo-4

Or... Move data into MySQL and use PHP, Python, AngularJS, or almost anything else but Lasso to connect to that data.

I used Lasso for about 20 years but started learning PHP a little over 1 year ago, and now AngularJS, and can’t believe I ever used Lasso and dealt with it’s proprietary, expensive, quirkiness.

These other languages are ubiquitous, inexpensive (or free), and very stable and it’s foolish to not learn them.

Plus, Lasso is a dead language – unless Lassosoft open sources it, if there really is a Lassosoft anymore. A year and a half ago I couldn’t even get in touch with them for 1-2 weeks. Maybe things are better but you’re only doing yourself harm by not learning and using these other ubiquitous languages.

Just my advice. Take it or leave it.

On Oct 10, 2018, at 12:15 AM, Steve Piercy - Website Builder <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I'd move the data into an SQL datasource and have Lasso connect to that instead of FM, then use ESS for those few clients who need a FMP GUI.

--steve

On 10/9/18 at 9:05 PM, [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> (Keith M. Rettig) pronounced:

[...]

Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Eugene, OR
<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>               <http://www.stevepiercy.com/>

Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>