LassoDevCon day 2 summary

Rachel Guthrie

Day 2 opened with Jordon Davidson giving a 'new-comers guide to Lasso' - a way to describe Lasso to the non-technical (like many of our clients are). The live example of how a server works performed by Jolle, Ryan and Christina was something to be seen.

Next up was K Carlton on system architecture - this enormous topic was abbreviated into "on meeting project requirements and fulfilling a satisfying user experience" and set the stage for how we can make the best system possible.

Clive Moore presented the A.mphibio.us CSS framework http://youtu.be/2aRUy_Fc1nk - a way to standardise your CSS layout without limiting your site design / designers ability to provide excellent and varied designs. The 16 column grid allows many degrees of freedom in design and does not produce a 'templated look'. Clive also presented a demo of the new "blueworld" site & system drag n drop blueprinting system - still in beta stage - which will be able to turn out the A.mphibio.us CSS from the resulting page blueprints. Drag n drop high-value website development with Lasso is only a few steps away.

Chris Corwin gave a fascinating insight into how to use LESS to compile and debug CSS, and demonstrated changing the CSS on the fly. An example shared in Lassochat was http://less2css.org/

Jesse Skinner presented on JQuery usability improvements and included some cool things like 3D animations to make your sites more attractive and engaging without adding overhead.

Chris Voorberg presented on how to avoid page Jank, and further improve the usability and a discussion was had about view the frames per second using a tool under chrome://flags/

Time Taplin presented on the challenges and success of developing an Android App with a Lasso backend... and now moving to do the iOS version and the completely different set of challenges.

Bil Corry's talk on the OWASP Top 10 webapp threats was a highlight - even tho it was a lightening talk on each threat, attendees soaked up every word.

Lasso and the Cloud by Fletcher Sandbeck demystified the process and benefits of using Cloud servers.

The IDE wars compared and contrasted the various IDE's used by developers in the room - almost all used more than one IDE, each had a preference and there are unique benefits to each version. Sean Stephens, CEO of LassoSoft facilitated this discussion where a nominated 'champion' for each of Coda, BBEdit, LassoLab, Sublime, and a couple of others. We'll share the outcome chart of which features are used in which tool.

The Awards dinner included having the Niagara Falls illuminated in Lasso Blue from 8:30pm for 15 minutes. It was a great backdrop to our dinner where we sat with huge windows directly overlooking the falls. A fantastic meal was had, and the Awards were announced, after lengthy deliberation due to the exceptional calibre of the entries, the winners were as follows:

Best use of Lasso 8 - John Morris for DACIS http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-Niagara-Falls-2013-Lasso-Excellence-Awards-Entry?appid=28735E6AA3EE22FCC2C2
Best use of Lasso 9 - Kim Vandenbroek for SUTP Administration http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-Niagara-Falls-2013-Lasso-Excellence-Awards-Entry?appid=28735E6AA3EC22FC8E00
Best New Developer - Marc Decker for Matrix Balance Reports - http://www.lassosoft.com/LDC-Niagara-Falls-2013-Lasso-Excellence-Awards-Entry?appid=28735E6AA2EF22FC5953
Lasso Values award - Ari Najarian for Backpacks for Schools - ww.lassosoft.com/LDC-Niagara-Falls-2013-Lasso-Excellence-Awards-Entry?appid=28735E6AA0EC22FCEE94
Lasso Community award (based on community contributions / code / lassotalk / ref examples etc) - awarded to Brad Lindsay.

And this year we had three unique awards given out: the 'Lasso Forefathers Award"
Sean regaled the crowd with tales of the exploits of each of the Forefathers and how they have been influential and instrumental in making Lasso what it is, and ensuring it's existence through the years up to the time Sean took over the reins.
The Forefathers Awards went to:
Jim Van Heule
Bil Corry
Fletcher Sandbeck

Following the dinner the conference group went out to the terrace to view the fireworks over the falls, and then rode the tram back up the hill and continued the festivities with the cutting of an awe-inspiring (?horrifying) cake-head for Sean Stephen's birthday, followed by blue nail-polish applications to all willing victims (starting with Brad, Jono, Jolle, Chris Corwin, Kyle, Adam .... to name a few) and libations until the close the bar at the hotel!

Photos of the awards, and fun and festivities will follow.

Don't miss the fun, start forward planning for next years event... we are!

Rachel Guthrie
Manager, LassoSoft Inc

Re: LassoDevCon day 2 summary

Patrick Larkin-2
Ugh.  Wish I could be there.  Lots of great stuff.

See you next year, I hope!

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone