Lasso9Docs?

Lasso-2
Hey Lassosoft!

What's the deal with Lasso9 documentation?  Hate to be one of those guys, but it's been over a month since Launch.  Please tell me you're not going to pull a Retrospect8 on us ( 1 year after launch with still no User Guide!).

I'm still kinda curious what happened to Portal /Portal, why all my -Username -Password inlines fail, and many more things.  (Yes, I use the Portal container.  There's a self help group, but we don't meet during the winter).

I really can't move ahead and decide to upgrade til I can test all my sites, and man do they ever fail all over the place in Lasso9.

Need them docs.  And some word on FM11 Compatibilty with LP8.5 & 9 wouldn't hurt neither.

Cheers,
Paul Fabris
IT Manager
Market Connections Inc.
www.marketconnections.com

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Mark Levin
Still no answer to this ???

Lasso-2 wrote
What's the deal with Lasso9 documentation?  Hate to be one of those guys, but it's been over a month since Launch.
<snip>
Need them docs.  And some word on FM11 Compatibilty with LP8.5 & 9 wouldn't hurt neither.

Re: Lasso9Docs?

John May-2
Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft
regarding such now...

        - John

On 3/26/10 11:50 AM, Mark Levin wrote:

> Still no answer to this ???
>

> Lasso-2 wrote:
>>
>> What's the deal with Lasso9 documentation?  Hate to be one of those guys,
>> but it's been over a month since Launch.
>> <snip>
>> Need them docs.  And some word on FM11 Compatibilty with LP8.5&  9
>> wouldn't hurt neither.

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Lasso-2
>We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft regarding such now...

Personally, I won't try to work with 9 until I see docs; it's simply a waste of time to guess my way through the changes.

I humbly submit the following suggestions:

1. Give us a progress report of *some* kind.  It's a little unsettling that *no* updates to the docs have been made in months, and more unsettling that no communication has been made about them recently.  I have no idea if they're even a priority for
you.  Will we see them next week, next month, next year?  Who knows.  I wouldn't have thought the latter was possible til I lived for a year without Retrospect 8 documentation.

2. If you're having a hard time with a single comprehensive update, there's nothing wrong with posting what you have so far, with placeholders for what you still need to write, with some kind of priority indicator letting us know in what order we'll see
things.  You're not publishing a book, you're posting to the web.  Docs that are halfway there are better than nothing.

3. Enable (moderated) comments on your doc pages, like PHP.  It's a valuable centralized resource, and much better than poring though listsearch threads.  Real world code snippets are much more useful than all that foo->at(bar) stuff.

Hope all is well over there,
Paul Fabris
IT Manager
Market Connections Inc.
www.marketconnections.com

Re: Lasso9Docs?

gzasuwa
Count me in - I will sit on the sidelines too and wait to write my
cheque.

Sincerely,

Gerard Zasuwa Gary
Senior Systems Analyst
Henry Ford Health System
Greenfield Health System
(313)-916-2651 work
(313)-585-9621 NEW CELL
(248)-360-0456 home

On Mar 27, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Lasso wrote:

>> We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft
>> regarding such now...
>
> Personally, I won't try to work with 9 until I see docs; it's simply
> a waste of time to guess my way through the changes.
>
> I humbly submit the following suggestions:
>
> 1. Give us a progress report of *some* kind.  It's a little
> unsettling that *no* updates to the docs have been made in months,
> and more unsettling that no communication has been made about them
> recently.  I have no idea if they're even a priority for
> you.  Will we see them next week, next month, next year?  Who
> knows.  I wouldn't have thought the latter was possible til I lived
> for a year without Retrospect 8 documentation.
>
> 2. If you're having a hard time with a single comprehensive update,
> there's nothing wrong with posting what you have so far, with
> placeholders for what you still need to write, with some kind of
> priority indicator letting us know in what order we'll see
> things.  You're not publishing a book, you're posting to the web.
> Docs that are halfway there are better than nothing.
>
> 3. Enable (moderated) comments on your doc pages, like PHP.  It's a
> valuable centralized resource, and much better than poring though
> listsearch threads.  Real world code snippets are much more useful
> than all that foo->at(bar) stuff.
>

> Hope all is well over there,
> Paul Fabris
> IT Manager
> Market Connections Inc.
> www.marketconnections.com

Re: Lasso9Docs?

smp design
... and yet another week passes and we are not even graced with a reply to one of the better suggestions...

1. Give us a progress report of *some* kind.  It's a little unsettling that *no* updates to the docs have been made in months, and more unsettling that no communication has been made about them recently.  I have no idea if they're even a priority for
you.  Will we see them next week, next month, next year?  Who knows.  I wouldn't have thought the latter was possible til I lived for a year without Retrospect 8 documentation.

2. If you're having a hard time with a single comprehensive update, there's nothing wrong with posting what you have so far, with placeholders for what you still need to write, with some kind of priority indicator letting us know in what order we'll see
things.  You're not publishing a book, you're posting to the web.  Docs that are halfway there are better than nothing.

As I paid well over a year ago, I thought I might as well just try the new Mac Installer (posted yesterday i think) on a freshly installed OSX Server 10.6.3. I tried to find at least a basic 'here you find the admin page and this is where you start setting basic default stuff, like a new 'site' in the current online docs (and at lassotech), but after about 10 mins searching for anything remotely resembling a Setup Guide (or part thereof), I gave up!

With the current state of installers and docs still being in such disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are entering the 'don't bother' stage.

That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have a spare one now.

Regards
Chris

On 27/03/2010, at 4:56 AM, John May wrote:

> Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft regarding such now...
>
> - John
>

> On 3/26/10 11:50 AM, Mark Levin wrote:
>>
>> Still no answer to this ???
>>

>> Lasso-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> What's the deal with Lasso9 documentation?  Hate to be one of those guys,
>>> but it's been over a month since Launch.
>>> <snip>
>>> Need them docs.  And some word on FM11 Compatibilty with LP8.5&  9
>>> wouldn't hurt neither.

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Kevin Bice
I was up early when I read this. Thought I wold take a look at
Lassosoft.com to see if I might find any thing over there. It was
lights out! Well,more like lights on and no one home... just a blank
page was returned.

It might be a coincidence, but it makes you wonder what, if anything
is going on at the mother ship. Kyle surely seems to be busy, but
where is the rest of the crew? Lasso 9 has slipped to say the least,
but let's hope that it has not fallen off the cliff. The points put
forward below seem to be reasonable, and they surely deserve a response.
Kevin Bice
512-879-1653
http://fmpweb.com
Web Development and Design

On Apr 1, 2010, at 11:18 PM, designsmp wrote:

> ... and yet another week passes and we are not even graced with a
> reply to one of the better suggestions...
>
> 1. Give us a progress report of *some* kind.  It's a little
> unsettling that *no* updates to the docs have been made in months,
> and more unsettling that no communication has been made about them
> recently.  I have no idea if they're even a priority for
> you.  Will we see them next week, next month, next year?  Who
> knows.  I wouldn't have thought the latter was possible til I lived
> for a year without Retrospect 8 documentation.
>
> 2. If you're having a hard time with a single comprehensive update,
> there's nothing wrong with posting what you have so far, with
> placeholders for what you still need to write, with some kind of
> priority indicator letting us know in what order we'll see
> things.  You're not publishing a book, you're posting to the web.
> Docs that are halfway there are better than nothing.
>
> As I paid well over a year ago, I thought I might as well just try
> the new Mac Installer (posted yesterday i think) on a freshly
> installed OSX Server 10.6.3. I tried to find at least a basic 'here
> you find the admin page and this is where you start setting basic
> default stuff, like a new 'site' in the current online docs (and at
> lassotech), but after about 10 mins searching for anything remotely
> resembling a Setup Guide (or part thereof), I gave up!
>
> With the current state of installers and docs still being in such
> disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We
> are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are
> entering the 'don't bother' stage.
>
> That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have
> a spare one now.
>
> Regards
> Chris
>
> On 27/03/2010, at 4:56 AM, John May wrote:
>
>> Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from
>> LassoSoft regarding such now...
>>
>> - John
>>

>> On 3/26/10 11:50 AM, Mark Levin wrote:
>>>
>>> Still no answer to this ???

>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>
>>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Kerry Adams-2
Hi Chris,

We're working on the documentation, as well as working on some new
revisions with Lasso 9.  As soon as we're finished with revisions for
Lasso 9, we'll be able to continue with the documentation.

I apologize if the communication level hasn't been satisfactory for
you.  The fact that we haven't communicated anything does not equate to
us not caring or having it at the top of our priority list.

This has been stated, directly, on a number of occasions, but I'll
gladly reiterate: documentation is important to us, and we're working on
it as quickly as possible, while at the same time being careful not to
neglect the Lasso product itself, and work that may need to be done on
it as well.

If you're having trouble with your Lasso 9 installation, please feel
free to ask your questions on the lists, or contact our support
department directly for assistance - they'll be happy to help you out.

Best Regards,

Kerry Adams

[ LassoSoft ]
[ www.lassosoft.com ]
[ 954.302.3526 - 888.286.7753 ]

designsmp wrote:

> ... and yet another week passes and we are not even graced with a reply to one of the better suggestions...
>
> 1. Give us a progress report of *some* kind.  It's a little unsettling that *no* updates to the docs have been made in months, and more unsettling that no communication has been made about them recently.  I have no idea if they're even a priority for
> you.  Will we see them next week, next month, next year?  Who knows.  I wouldn't have thought the latter was possible til I lived for a year without Retrospect 8 documentation.
>
> 2. If you're having a hard time with a single comprehensive update, there's nothing wrong with posting what you have so far, with placeholders for what you still need to write, with some kind of priority indicator letting us know in what order we'll see
> things.  You're not publishing a book, you're posting to the web.  Docs that are halfway there are better than nothing.
>
> As I paid well over a year ago, I thought I might as well just try the new Mac Installer (posted yesterday i think) on a freshly installed OSX Server 10.6.3. I tried to find at least a basic 'here you find the admin page and this is where you start setting basic default stuff, like a new 'site' in the current online docs (and at lassotech), but after about 10 mins searching for anything remotely resembling a Setup Guide (or part thereof), I gave up!
>
> With the current state of installers and docs still being in such disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are entering the 'don't bother' stage.
>
> That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have a spare one now.
>
> Regards
> Chris
>
> On 27/03/2010, at 4:56 AM, John May wrote:
>

>> Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft regarding such now...
>>
>> - John
>>

>> On 3/26/10 11:50 AM, Mark Levin wrote:
>>
>>> Still no answer to this ???

>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>
>>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Kerry Adams-2
Hi Kevin,

It's true that the site was down this morning.  Unfortunately, we're
having some issues with the current LassoSoft site and it's causing some
occasional outages.  I'm sure that, being in the industry, you can
understand that it is bound to happen from time to time.  It's nothing
to to with Anu's hosting services, it unfortunately has to do with some
of the old Lasso code still kicking around on the server.  We're working
on the best way to remedy the situation.

Regarding your comment about the mother ship and wondering where the
rest of the crew is, well, I'm sorry that you feel that way.  I
certainly don't think it's the case.  I reply to emails every day, as do
the other LassoSoft team members.  Just a day ago, our senior support
tech, Paul, was posting on this very list, and assisting people.  I
respond to somewhere around twenty or thirty email daily, as anyone who
has recently contacted me can attest to (assuming it reached me; stupid
spam filters).

But anyway, we ARE here, and I think that it's apparent that we are.
But we do have a LOT of work to be done on many different fronts, so we
don't have all day to spend in the public talk forums.  I sincerely
apologize if this comes across as indifference or as a lack of
involvement, because nothing could be further from the truth.

Of course, anyone is welcome to contact us directly at any time
(preferably by email), and we'll be sure to respond as quickly as possible.

Best Regards,

Kerry Adams

[ LassoSoft ]
[ www.lassosoft.com ]
[ 954.302.3526 - 888.286.7753 ]

Kevin Bice wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> With the current state of installers and docs still being in such
>> disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We
>> are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are
>> entering the 'don't bother' stage.
>>
>> That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have a
>> spare one now.
>>
>> Regards
>> Chris
>>
>> On 27/03/2010, at 4:56 AM, John May wrote:
>>
>>> Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft
>>> regarding such now...
>>>
>>>     - John

>>> --

>>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>>
>>>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Waters, Thomas C
I don't think the lack of communication translates as "us not caring or having it at the top of our priority list."  I worry that it translates as the company is barely getting by, and may disappear.  It has been heartening to read the past statements assuring readers that LassoSoft is hard at work, and this continued message is welcome.

I'd hate to see Lasso go away, similar to the way Webstar died. So, I'm a bit concerned when I read,  "working on some new
revisions with Lasso 9." Webstar was continually trying to add new features, when they didn't even have a stable, application that people could use as is. But they were hellbent on continuing to build the application, as if they had a large enough crew to do that simultaneously while fixing bugs, etc.

It is clear that the team at LassoSoft have done great work at growing this product to be a more powerful tool for web developers. I just hope that isn't coming at the expense of ease of use.

I admit, I haven't even tried Lasso9 yet. Time is so limited, that I can't afford to spend any time, only to find out that I can't get it up and running easily. So, I can't talk about specific issues. I can only see that others have had a rough time, while many long time, heavy duty programmers find it a wonderful product.

--
Thomas Waters
Director of New Media

On Apr 2, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Kerry Adams wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> With the current state of installers and docs still being in such disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are entering the 'don't bother' stage.
>>
>> That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have a spare one now.
>>
>> Regards
>> Chris
>>
>> On 27/03/2010, at 4:56 AM, John May wrote:
>>

>>> Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft regarding such now...
>>>
>>> - John

>>> --

>>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>>
>>>      Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>>         on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Hi Tomas,

Yes, I definitely agree with what you're saying.  When I mentioned that
we are currently working on a Lasso 9 revision, I meant that quite
literally, in the sense that Lasso 9 now employs SVN, and that Kyle has
been working on a latest revision which is promising so offer some nice
performance increases as well as squash out a error that some people
were seeing.  We're definitely not trying to add new features or focus
on non-issues, when we have important things like the docs to focus on!  :-)

Best Regards,

Kerry Adams

[ LassoSoft ]
[ www.lassosoft.com ]
[ 954.302.3526 - 888.286.7753 ]

Waters, Thomas C wrote:
> I'd hate to see Lasso go away, similar to the way Webstar died. So, I'm a bit concerned when I read,  "working on some new
> revisions with Lasso 9." Webstar was continually trying to add new features, when they didn't even have a stable, application that people could use as is. But they were hellbent on continuing to build the application, as if they had a large enough crew to do that simultaneously while fixing bugs, etc.

Re: Lasso9Docs?

stevepiercy
FYI, "revision" defined in the context of Subversion:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.basic.in-action.revs

If you use SVN, you can view the repository's History, or just
browse to this URL to see the current revision number:
http://download.lassosoft.com/svn/lasso/lasso9_beta/trunk/

--steve

On 4/2/10 at 1:59 PM, [hidden email] (Kerry Adams) pronounced:

>Hi Tomas,
>
>Yes, I definitely agree with what you're saying.  When I
>mentioned that we are currently working on a Lasso 9 revision,
>I meant that quite literally, in the sense that Lasso 9 now
>employs SVN, and that Kyle has been working on a latest
>revision which is promising so offer some nice performance
>increases as well as squash out a error that some people were
>seeing.  We're definitely not trying to add new features or
>focus on non-issues, when we have important things like the
>docs to focus on!  :-)
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Kerry Adams
>
>[ LassoSoft ]
>[ www.lassosoft.com ]
>[ 954.302.3526 - 888.286.7753 ]

>Waters, Thomas C wrote:
>>I'd hate to see Lasso go away, similar to the way Webstar
>>died. So, I'm a bit concerned when I read,  "working on some
>>new revisions with Lasso 9." Webstar was continually trying to
>>add new features, when they didn't even have a stable,
>>application that people could use as is. But they were
>>hellbent on continuing to build the application, as if they
>>had a large enough crew to do that simultaneously while fixing
>>bugs, etc.
>>

>--
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Chris Corwin
also, lasso admin is available at:

http://localhost/lasso9/admin

(assuming you're running on localhost)

Re: Lasso9Docs?

smp design
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the reply.

Help to get L9 installed is all very nice, but what do I do after that? Unless the docs are complete, I will be stuck wasting countless days trying to figure out how things work, hence many of us are getting so frustrated and give up...

Regards
Chris

On 3/04/2010, at 12:31 AM, Kerry Adams wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> With the current state of installers and docs still being in such disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are entering the 'don't bother' stage.
>>
>> That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have a spare one now.
>>
>> Regards
>> Chris
>>
>> On 27/03/2010, at 4:56 AM, John May wrote:
>>

>>> Ditto.  We're at a month past the last communication from LassoSoft regarding such now...
>>>
>>> - John

>>> --

>>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>>
>>>      Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>>         on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Tim Taplin
Chris, and others in similar boats and soapboxes:

As much as I'm insulted by Kerry's relatively off handed reply/rebuke, I dont think there 's much of an excuse to walk away from lasso9 for the lack of docs.

By far the majority of your existing code will work out of the box, the major points have been discussed, and you can start using some of the new features and language syntax when you are ready or when those docs get more complete.

It would be more helpful to the community as a whole to have discussion of how we are dealing with deploying this new software than moaning about not having docs, ( trust me I mutter under my breath about the docs every day).

 I'm working on a project where we have taken the original code and installed on a lasso9 install with excellent results. Fortunately the original author of this project didn't go down the road of dynamicly named locals, so I didnt have a bunch of map logic to work out. I've had to ask for help in working out some differences in how iterating maps works and had to get my head around using a thread var instead of creating a global. Also, found a gem in those blasted docs regarding how to use the activetick thread type to create an event handler.

Most of the issues I had to deal with on a debugging level were either old lasso code that on inspection should not have worked but somehow did, Even found a few instances where code was working but not as intended because of missing tag closures, or where colon based code was in place, sometimes the lasso9 parser choked on too many nested colonized tags, rewriting as paren syntax in 8.5 code worked out just fine.

I know there are greater issues for some projects, but I'd love to be hearing about them, having discussions about them and figuring out as a group how to work with this new beast.

All this rah rah is still not blinding fanboy speak for Lasso, I'm annoyed with Kerry's response. I dont think its in any way out of order for someone to point out that its been over a month since the last update regarding the docs. I thought the request was well worded and the points reasonable and should have been well taken and considered by lasso staff. This list may not be the official source for notices on things like that but it has been the only fountain of information in recent months. I dont think its too much to ask that some type of update be posted either on the website, on this list or on the beta list regarding progress or lack of progress.

Tim Taplin
ps. Kerry: Pauls recent "help" amounted to one reply requesting what platform we were using. still no further response after providing that information.

On Apr 2, 2010, at 3:12 PM, designsmp wrote:

> [...]
>>> As I paid well over a year ago, I thought I might as well just try the new Mac Installer (posted yesterday i think) on a freshly installed OSX Server 10.6.3. I tried to find at least a basic 'here you find the admin page and this is where you start setting basic default stuff, like a new 'site' in the current online docs (and at lassotech), but after about 10 mins searching for anything remotely resembling a Setup Guide (or part thereof), I gave up!
>>>
>>> With the current state of installers and docs still being in such disarray, I have given up now to do anything with L9 this year. We are now past the being understandably unresponsive stage and are entering the 'don't bother' stage.
>>>
>>> That said, if anyone needs a L9 License, please let me know, I have a spare one now.

Clive Bruton

On 2 Apr 2010, at 22:12, designsmp wrote:

> Help to get L9 installed is all very nice, but what do I do after
> that? Unless the docs are complete, I will be stuck wasting
> countless days trying to figure out how things work, hence many of
> us are getting so frustrated and give up...

I think the general theory is, if you don't have the time to waste/
investigate something that doesn't appear fully formed, then don't.
There are probably people on this list that want to get in there
early and get their hands dirty - but at the same time aren't putting
Lasso 9 into production environments. If you are wanting to put it
into a live situation, you should probably wait until the docs are
out and a few more revisions go by.

Until then, it's probably worthwhile reviewing your existing code to
see if you can bring it into line with L9 without breaking L8.5,
using the notes that people have posted on this matter. I don't
really see that anyone asking for docs is going to get them done any
faster (though I think you've made reasonable suggestions as to let's
see the partial docs as they become available...).

-- Clive

Re: Lasso9Docs?

rpdwyer
An idea... wiki's have been discussed before... there are a lot of
people on this list with information regarding 9 through actual use...
perhaps people should start posting what they know to a Wiki, others
add to it, etc.

I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the community should
have to do this, but, if Lassosoft is so inundated, if the community
could put some sort of unofficial documentation together and ask
Lassosoft to fill in the gaps, documentation might come that much
sooner.  I mean, if Kerry and others are spending time on an area of
documentation that board members have already investigated and know,
they would be better suited, we all would, if that focus were put on
areas that knowledge was thin on.

OR lassosoft can post the documentation they do have instead of
waiting for it to be 100% complete.

Just a thought.

  --Rick

On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2010, at 22:12, designsmp wrote:
>
>> Help to get L9 installed is all very nice, but what do I do after
>> that? Unless the docs are complete, I will be stuck wasting
>> countless days trying to figure out how things work, hence many of
>> us are getting so frustrated and give up...
>
> I think the general theory is, if you don't have the time to waste/
> investigate something that doesn't appear fully formed, then don't.
> There are probably people on this list that want to get in there
> early and get their hands dirty - but at the same time aren't
> putting Lasso 9 into production environments. If you are wanting to
> put it into a live situation, you should probably wait until the
> docs are out and a few more revisions go by.
>
> Until then, it's probably worthwhile reviewing your existing code to
> see if you can bring it into line with L9 without breaking L8.5,
> using the notes that people have posted on this matter. I don't
> really see that anyone asking for docs is going to get them done any
> faster (though I think you've made reasonable suggestions as to
> let's see the partial docs as they become available...).
>

> -- Clive

Re: Lasso9Docs?

stevepiercy
http://www.lassotech.com/Lasso%209/

--steve

On 4/3/10 at 2:08 AM, [hidden email] (Rick Dwyer) pronounced:

>An idea... wiki's have been discussed before... there are a lot
>of people on this list with information regarding 9 through
>actual use... perhaps people should start posting what they
>know to a Wiki, others add to it, etc.
>
>I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the community
>should have to do this, but, if Lassosoft is so inundated, if
>the community could put some sort of unofficial documentation
>together and ask Lassosoft to fill in the gaps, documentation
>might come that much sooner.  I mean, if Kerry and others are
>spending time on an area of documentation that board members
>have already investigated and know, they would be better
>suited, we all would, if that focus were put on areas that
>knowledge was thin on.
>
>OR lassosoft can post the documentation they do have instead of
>waiting for it to be 100% complete.
>
>Just a thought.
>
>--Rick
>

>On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
>

>>On 2 Apr 2010, at 22:12, designsmp wrote:
>>
>>>Help to get L9 installed is all very nice, but what do I do
>>>after that? Unless the docs are complete, I will be stuck
>>>wasting countless days trying to figure out how things work,
>>>hence many of us are getting so frustrated and give up...
>>
>>I think the general theory is, if you don't have the time to
>>waste/investigate something that doesn't appear fully formed,
>>then don't. There are probably people on this list that want
>>to get in there early and get their hands dirty - but at the
>>same time aren't putting Lasso 9 into production environments.
>>If you are wanting to put it into a live situation, you should
>>probably wait until the docs are out and a few more revisions
>>go by.
>>
>>Until then, it's probably worthwhile reviewing your existing
>>code to see if you can bring it into line with L9 without
>>breaking L8.5, using the notes that people have posted on this
>>matter. I don't really see that anyone asking for docs is
>>going to get them done any faster (though I think you've made
>>reasonable suggestions as to let's see the partial docs as
>>they become available...).
>>

>>-- Clive
>>
>>--
>>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Lasso9Docs?

Waters, Thomas C
Documentation is an essential part of a product, so I understand why LassoSoft wants to create it. I personally really liked how documentation in the past allowed users to add notes and examples. The problem with a Wiki is the need for information verification. It is really not useful for someone to post something only to find out it was incorrect, and led someone else astray, and then there all the work to correct the text. Users, especially users coming to a new version of an app want to know that what they read is accurate and complete. They need it so they can increase their trust and comfort level with an app. When something doesn't work, they need to feel comfortable that the problem is in their code or a mistake they made, not in the documentation itself.

If there is a base level of documentation that is error free, and then a community of users are able to add examples- that can be very useful and powerful documentation.

--
Thomas Waters
Director of New Media

On Apr 3, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> An idea... wiki's have been discussed before... there are a lot of
> people on this list with information regarding 9 through actual use...
> perhaps people should start posting what they know to a Wiki, others
> add to it, etc.
>
> I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the community should
> have to do this, but, if Lassosoft is so inundated, if the community
> could put some sort of unofficial documentation together and ask
> Lassosoft to fill in the gaps, documentation might come that much
> sooner.  I mean, if Kerry and others are spending time on an area of
> documentation that board members have already investigated and know,
> they would be better suited, we all would, if that focus were put on
> areas that knowledge was thin on.
>
> OR lassosoft can post the documentation they do have instead of
> waiting for it to be 100% complete.
>
> Just a thought.
>
>  --Rick
>

> On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:
>

>> On 2 Apr 2010, at 22:12, designsmp wrote:
>>
>>> Help to get L9 installed is all very nice, but what do I do after
>>> that? Unless the docs are complete, I will be stuck wasting
>>> countless days trying to figure out how things work, hence many of
>>> us are getting so frustrated and give up...
>>
>> I think the general theory is, if you don't have the time to waste/
>> investigate something that doesn't appear fully formed, then don't.
>> There are probably people on this list that want to get in there
>> early and get their hands dirty - but at the same time aren't
>> putting Lasso 9 into production environments. If you are wanting to
>> put it into a live situation, you should probably wait until the
>> docs are out and a few more revisions go by.
>>
>> Until then, it's probably worthwhile reviewing your existing code to
>> see if you can bring it into line with L9 without breaking L8.5,
>> using the notes that people have posted on this matter. I don't
>> really see that anyone asking for docs is going to get them done any
>> faster (though I think you've made reasonable suggestions as to
>> let's see the partial docs as they become available...).
>>

>> -- Clive

Re: Lasso9Docs?

stevepiercy
So you would like LassoSoft to replicate these models of
documentation, for example?

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.phpmode.php
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mac-os-x-installation.html

--steve

On 4/3/10 at 10:05 AM, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C) pronounced: