Lasso9 receiving emails

Steven McIntosh
I’m having difficulty getting email_pop to work with any email server that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later reference—just a couple emails a month.

Has anyone had success in connecting Lasso9 to an free email service for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter). I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours trying to get something to just connect.

Thanks!
Steve

Steven J. McIntosh
Director of Technology
Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Marc Vos-3
Hi Steve,

If I were you I would invest those 3 hours and code a PHP email receiver.
I had the same problem and separated processing into dedicated parts coded with PHP and Lasso:

- a PHP email receiver: reads the emails, stores attachments on disk in special folders.
- a Lasso or PHP file processor that scans those folders for new files and processes them.

This way we process about 400 Excel email-attachments per work day.

DIY: http://www.electrictoolbox.com/php-imap-message-body-attachments/
or contact me off-llist.

- -
Regards,
Marc Vos

http://marc.vos.net/
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/mhevos

> On 28 mei 2015, at 21:20, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m having difficulty getting email_pop to work with any email server that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later reference—just a couple emails a month.
>
> Has anyone had success in connecting Lasso9 to an free email service for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter). I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours trying to get something to just connect.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve
>

> Steven J. McIntosh
> Director of Technology
> Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Hi Steven,

I’ve done this in several environments over the last several years with Lasso 9 and not had any issues.

Whats the errors you’re seeing?

> On May 29, 2015, at 7:20 AM, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m having difficulty getting email_pop to work with any email server that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later reference—just a couple emails a month.
>
> Has anyone had success in connecting Lasso9 to an free email service for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter). I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours trying to get something to just connect.

Jono

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Steven McIntosh
Hey, Marc.

I’ll look into this—I have no experience with php and I have no control over the server itself (outside of Lasso). Thanks!
Steve

Steven J. McIntosh
Director of Technology
Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> On May 28, 2015, at 4:19 PM, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> If I were you I would invest those 3 hours and code a PHP email receiver.
> I had the same problem and separated processing into dedicated parts coded with PHP and Lasso:
>
> - a PHP email receiver: reads the emails, stores attachments on disk in special folders.
> - a Lasso or PHP file processor that scans those folders for new files and processes them.
>
> This way we process about 400 Excel email-attachments per work day.
>
> DIY: http://www.electrictoolbox.com/php-imap-message-body-attachments/
> or contact me off-llist.
>
> - -
> Regards,
> Marc Vos
>
> http://marc.vos.net/
> http://nl.linkedin.com/in/mhevos
>

>> On 28 mei 2015, at 21:20, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m having difficulty getting email_pop to work with any email server that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later reference—just a couple emails a month.
>>
>> Has anyone had success in connecting Lasso9 to an free email service for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter). I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours trying to get something to just connect.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Steve
>>

>> Steven J. McIntosh
>> Director of Technology
>> Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Steven McIntosh
Hey Jono,

One of the exchange servers I’ve tested will not authenticate—I’ve tried everything I can think of, but their server restrictions are pretty tight.
The exchange server that I would like this to work with just comes back with “the remote server timed out on connect”, but they are specifically changing the server setup to allow my lasso server connections and they don’t normally do anything except the exchange protocol, so this may not work without having someone familiar with this particular setup working with my client.

I was going to just try an iCloud account, but those don’t support POP.

There is no restriction on what email address I use to accept these newsletters, so it can be any (free) email service—I just want to make sure that someone has specific experience in getting one of these operational. I saw some threads about gmail on the lasso boards, but those were specific to L86 and this has to be L9.

Steve

Steven J. McIntosh
Director of Technology
Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> On May 28, 2015, at 5:09 PM, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> I’ve done this in several environments over the last several years with Lasso 9 and not had any issues.
>
> Whats the errors you’re seeing?
>

>> On May 29, 2015, at 7:20 AM, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m having difficulty getting email_pop to work with any email server that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later reference—just a couple emails a month.
>>
>> Has anyone had success in connecting Lasso9 to an free email service for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter). I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours trying to get something to just connect.
>
> Jono

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Marc Pope-2
Could you forward email to a non exchange server and then read it that way?

Just thinking.

> On May 29, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Jono,
>
> One of the exchange servers I’ve tested will not authenticate—I’ve tried everything I can think of, but their server restrictions are pretty tight.
> The exchange server that I would like this to work with just comes back with “the remote server timed out on connect”, but they are specifically changing the server setup to allow my lasso server connections and they don’t normally do anything except the exchange protocol, so this may not work without having someone familiar with this particular setup working with my client.
>
> I was going to just try an iCloud account, but those don’t support POP.
>
> There is no restriction on what email address I use to accept these newsletters, so it can be any (free) email service—I just want to make sure that someone has specific experience in getting one of these operational. I saw some threads about gmail on the lasso boards, but those were specific to L86 and this has to be L9.
>
> Steve
>
> Steven J. McIntosh
> Director of Technology
> Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> On May 28, 2015, at 5:09 PM, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> I’ve done this in several environments over the last several years with Lasso 9 and not had any issues.
>>
>> Whats the errors you’re seeing?
>>

>>> On May 29, 2015, at 7:20 AM, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m having difficulty getting email_pop to work with any email server that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later reference—just a couple emails a month.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had success in connecting Lasso9 to an free email service for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter). I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours trying to get something to just connect.
>>
>> Jono

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Steven McIntosh
The newsletters can be sent to any email address - does not need to be the client’s exchange server. So I can send to a gmail account and pull there (if someone can verify that they have had gmail work for this type of thing), but any free email service will be fine as long as it works.

Steven J. McIntosh
Director of Technology
Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> On May 29, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Marc Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could you forward email to a non exchange server and then read it that way?
>
> Just thinking.
>

>> On May 29, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Jono,
>>
>> One of the exchange servers I’ve tested will not authenticate—I’ve tried everything I can think of, but their server restrictions are pretty tight.
>> The exchange server that I would like this to work with just comes back with “the remote server timed out on connect”, but they are specifically changing the server setup to allow my lasso server connections and they don’t normally do anything except the exchange protocol, so this may not work without having someone familiar with this particular setup working with my client.
>>
>> I was going to just try an iCloud account, but those don’t support POP.
>>
>> There is no restriction on what email address I use to accept these newsletters, so it can be any (free) email service—I just want to make sure that someone has specific experience in getting one of these operational. I saw some threads about gmail on the lasso boards, but those were specific to L86 and this has to be L9.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Steven J. McIntosh
>> Director of Technology
>> Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> On May 28, 2015, at 5:09 PM, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Steven,
>>>
>>> I’ve done this in several environments over the last several years with Lasso 9 and not had any issues.
>>>
>>> Whats the errors you’re seeing?

>>> Jono

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Ke Carlton-3
Have done this successfully with Lasso 9.x and Gmail.

https://gist.github.com/Ke-/54b5ba95b9490070e7a6

I think this was converted from a Lasso 8.x version by Bil Corry? Am not
sure, did the conversion a few years ago now.

You'll need to have ldebug (https://github.com/zeroloop/l-debug) installed
or strip out the debug comments before hand.

Ke

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 4:20 AM Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The newsletters can be sent to any email address - does not need to be the
> client’s exchange server. So I can send to a gmail account and pull there
> (if someone can verify that they have had gmail work for this type of
> thing), but any free email service will be fine as long as it works.
>
> Steven J. McIntosh
> Director of Technology
> Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > On May 29, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Marc Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Could you forward email to a non exchange server and then read it that
> way?
> >
> > Just thinking.
> >

> >> On May 29, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Steven McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey Jono,
> >>
> >> One of the exchange servers I’ve tested will not authenticate—I’ve
> tried everything I can think of, but their server restrictions are pretty
> tight.
> >> The exchange server that I would like this to work with just comes back
> with “the remote server timed out on connect”, but they are specifically
> changing the server setup to allow my lasso server connections and they
> don’t normally do anything except the exchange protocol, so this may not
> work without having someone familiar with this particular setup working
> with my client.
> >>
> >> I was going to just try an iCloud account, but those don’t support POP.
> >>
> >> There is no restriction on what email address I use to accept these
> newsletters, so it can be any (free) email service—I just want to make sure
> that someone has specific experience in getting one of these operational. I
> saw some threads about gmail on the lasso boards, but those were specific
> to L86 and this has to be L9.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >>
> >> Steven J. McIntosh
> >> Director of Technology
> >> Equitek, Inc. - Oak Park / Chicago
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> with Lasso 9 and not had any issues.

> that I have access to: I’ve tried two exchange servers, and others don’t
> have POP. I have a client that needs specific emails to be automatically
> received by the lasso site and archived into a database for later
> reference—just a couple emails a month.

> for this type of work? I have no problem signing up for a gmail account if
> someone can assure me that it works (or any other service for that matter).
> I’m out of time for this aspect of the project and can’t spend 3 more hours
> trying to get something to just connect.

> >> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

> > Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: Lasso9 receiving emails

Ke Carlton-3
It may be worth pointing out that this was with 9.1, so the capabilities of
9.3 may have since improved.