Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Bergstrom
Hi,

Looking at Lasso Listsearch I wonder why it's so slow sometimes?
(Trying to figure out if there is a difference between Lasso and PHP in
speed.)

Pål Bergström
(Paul)

----

Pål Bergström Solutions
Tel +46 42 91278
[hidden email]
http://www.palbergstrom.com

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Trevor Jacques
>Looking at Lasso Listsearch I wonder why it's so slow sometimes?
>(Trying to figure out if there is a difference between Lasso and PHP
>in speed.)

If it's on OS X, I'd bet that it's often because of OS X's virtual
memory paging. The implication seems likely that the box in question
might need more RAM. At least, that's my experience with my box.
Fortunately, 10.3.8 significantly improved the Mac's recovery of
unused memory when compared to previous versions of the OS.

Trevor.

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Melia
Pal,

Not being critical of your asking the question but I think your
question is a bit too broad.

There are so many factors that will contribute to any given site's
performance at any given time, that trying to compare two
technologies based on one site is impossible.

Consider that Listsearch uses both Mac OS X and Windows together to
serve the site or the fact that there are millions of records to be
searched. Plus there are background functions, such as adding new
emails to the database.

If you have a php site that is constructed similarly with a similar
dataset and functionality, then I would suggest constructing a test
suite and run the test over a period of time and then evaluate the
results. That is most likely the only way to get a somewhat accurate
comparison.

Probably the better test for you would be, if you are not a Lasso
user presently, would be to download a free trial of Lasso, install
it on your machine and build two sites, one in php and one in lasso,
and compare the results. Evaluate your comfort with the language, the
value of the offerings (like Lasso's built-in security, pdf handling,
email services, etc) and then make your judgement.

If you are just frustrated at the performance of listsearch.com, then
I would suggest sending an email to omnipilot and let them know. And
feel free to voice that complaint here in those terms. This list,
unlike many, is very open and tolerant of dissenting views.

FWIW,
Paul Melia

On May 26, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Pål Bergström wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking at Lasso Listsearch I wonder why it's so slow sometimes?
> (Trying to figure out if there is a difference between Lasso and
> PHP in speed.)
>
> Pål Bergström
> (Paul)
>
> ----
>
> Pål Bergström Solutions
> Tel +46 42 91278
> [hidden email]
> http://www.palbergstrom.com

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Olivier Miossec

 [ISO-8859-1] P?l_Bergstr?m ?crit:

> Hi,
>
> Looking at Lasso Listsearch I wonder why it's so slow sometimes?
> (Trying to figure out if there is a difference between Lasso and PHP in
> speed.)
>
> P?l Bergstr?m
> (Paul)

there can be many reasons for that
Database problem
Hardward problem
BAd programming
Configuration ...

You should give us more clue

---
Olivier Miossec
AIM/ichat omiossec
--
http://www.lasso-developpeur.net
--

Need a Lasso consultant ?
(Lasso, Java, Databases Consultant ...)

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Bergstrom

Hälsningar
Pål Bergström

----
Pål Bergström Solutions
Tel 042 91278
[hidden email]
http://www.palbergstrom.com

2005-05-27 kl. 01.22 skrev Olivier Miossec:

>  [ISO-8859-1] Pål_Bergström écrit:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking at Lasso Listsearch I wonder why it's so slow sometimes?
>> (Trying to figure out if there is a difference between Lasso and PHP
>> in
>> speed.)
>>
>> Pål Bergström
>> (Paul)
>>

> there can be many reasons for that
> Database problem
> Hardward problem
> BAd programming
> Configuration ...
>
> You should give us more clue

I know. Can be many things. Just curious. Can it be it has a lot of
content compared to some forums I use for PHP?  Well, I guess Lasso per
se is not to blame.

Just wish they could use a traditional forum instead of this list. Much
easier and less mails :-)

Pål

2005-05-26 kl. 22.40 skrev Paul Melia:

> Pal,
>
> Not being critical of your asking the question but I think your
> question is a bit too broad.
>
> There are so many factors that will contribute to any given site's
> performance at any given time, that trying to compare two technologies
> based on one site is impossible.

True.

> Consider that Listsearch uses both Mac OS X and Windows together to
> serve the site or the fact that there are millions of records to be
> searched. Plus there are background functions, such as adding new
> emails to the database.
>
> If you have a php site that is constructed similarly with a similar
> dataset and functionality, then I would suggest constructing a test
> suite and run the test over a period of time and then evaluate the
> results. That is most likely the only way to get a somewhat accurate
> comparison.
>
> Probably the better test for you would be, if you are not a Lasso user
> presently, would be to download a free trial of Lasso, install it on
> your machine and build two sites, one in php and one in lasso, and
> compare the results. Evaluate your comfort with the language, the
> value of the offerings (like Lasso's built-in security, pdf handling,
> email services, etc) and then make your judgement.

I am a Lasso first. Just been away for some time. Got Lasso Dev. but
been hesitating to go back from PHP (on a solution I'm working on). PHP
works well in a lot of ways, and some forums I use for support are
excellent. But I think I soon will take the step back. Not 100% yet.
Wanting to hide the code, use pdf-tags, and more, I see Lasso as the
smartest alternative.

Just some small things that makes me hesitate. But I'm on my way :-)

Pål

> If you are just frustrated at the performance of listsearch.com, then
> I would suggest sending an email to omnipilot and let them know. And
> feel free to voice that complaint here in those terms. This list,
> unlike many, is very open and tolerant of dissenting views.
>
> FWIW,
> Paul Melia
>

> On May 26, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Pål Bergström wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking at Lasso Listsearch I wonder why it's so slow sometimes?
>> (Trying to figure out if there is a difference between Lasso and PHP
>> in speed.)
>>
>> Pål Bergström
>> (Paul)
>>
>> ----
>>
>> Pål Bergström Solutions
>> Tel +46 42 91278
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.palbergstrom.com

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

jc-15
I disagree. Letting my mail application filter out all lasso list
mails into a mailbox of it's own is my cup of tea. Then I can read
them when I feel like it. Delete messages of no interest for me. Save
them in an archive (or several based on type of contact). Search them
with ease. Read them offline (like in bed or bathroom...). Sort them
based on thread or author. And all of this much faster than any
online forum I've visited.

Don't change that please, Omnipilot!

27 maj 2005 kl. 08.38 skrev Pål Bergström:

> Just wish they could use a traditional forum instead of this list.
> Much easier and less mails :-)

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Bergstrom

2005-05-27 kl. 09.10 skrev JC:

> I disagree. Letting my mail application filter out all lasso list
> mails into a mailbox of it's own is my cup of tea. Then I can read
> them when I feel like it. Delete messages of no interest for me. Save
> them in an archive (or several based on type of contact). Search them
> with ease. Read them offline (like in bed or bathroom...). Sort them
> based on thread or author. And all of this much faster than any online
> forum I've visited.

Well, why bother the mail client when you can have it all in one place
(now 1110 mails in my Lasso list folder)? The forums I use are equally
fast and have all the things you ask for but without having to sort it
out yourself.

One other aspect is "spreading the word". Don't underestimate the power
forums compared to a "hidden" support list like this. In these days I
think they can be important for marketing purposes. A friendly and well
visited forum will draw attention from non Lasso users in another-way
than this list.

Yet another aspect is understanding of how a list works. I actually
hestitated a bit to mail here because I wasn't sure how it worked. Now
I see it works well, but I think it's much easier to get into a forum.
Many forums are based on phpBB and similar and then makes it very
familiar for people to use.

Pål

> Don't change that please, Omnipilot!
>
> HDB
> Jolle
>
> 27 maj 2005 kl. 08.38 skrev Pål Bergström:
>
>> Just wish they could use a traditional forum instead of this list.
>> Much easier and less mails :-)

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Greg Willits
On May 27, 2005, at 12:27 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:

> 2005-05-27 kl. 09.10 skrev JC:
>
>> I disagree. Letting my mail application filter out all lasso list
>> mails into a mailbox of it's own is my cup of tea. Then I can read
>> them when I feel like it. Delete messages of no interest for me. Save
>> them in an archive (or several based on type of contact). Search them
>> with ease. Read them offline (like in bed or bathroom...). Sort them
>> based on thread or author. And all of this much faster than any
>> online forum I've visited.
>
> Well, why bother the mail client when you can have it all in one place
> (now 1110 mails in my Lasso list folder)?

For all the reasons listed above :-)

> The forums I use are equally fast and have all the things you ask for
> but without having to sort it out yourself.

No forum is as fast as email for reading. And most are not as fast for
searching either IMO.

> One other aspect is "spreading the word". Don't underestimate the
> power forums compared to a "hidden" support list like this. In these
> days I think they can be important for marketing purposes. A friendly
> and well visited forum will draw attention from non Lasso users in
> another-way than this list.

> Yet another aspect is understanding of how a list works. I actually
> hestitated a bit to mail here because I wasn't sure how it worked. Now
> I see it works well, but I think it's much easier to get into a forum.
> Many forums are based on phpBB and similar and then makes it very
> familiar for people to use.

It sounds as though you're not aware of
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso

-- greg willits

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Bergstrom

Hälsningar
Pål Bergström

----
Pål Bergström Solutions
Tel 042 91278
[hidden email]
http://www.palbergstrom.com

2005-05-27 kl. 09.32 skrev Greg Willits:

> On May 27, 2005, at 12:27 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:
>> 2005-05-27 kl. 09.10 skrev JC:
>>
>>> I disagree. Letting my mail application filter out all lasso list
>>> mails into a mailbox of it's own is my cup of tea. Then I can read
>>> them when I feel like it. Delete messages of no interest for me.
>>> Save them in an archive (or several based on type of contact).
>>> Search them with ease. Read them offline (like in bed or
>>> bathroom...). Sort them based on thread or author. And all of this
>>> much faster than any online forum I've visited.
>>
>> Well, why bother the mail client when you can have it all in one
>> place (now 1110 mails in my Lasso list folder)?
>
> For all the reasons listed above :-)

Yes, just like forum, but without a lot of mails.

>> The forums I use are equally fast and have all the things you ask for
>> but without having to sort it out yourself.
>
> No forum is as fast as email for reading. And most are not as fast for
> searching either IMO.

Could be true, if you save all mail. Some PHP forums I use are fast
enough for me.

>> One other aspect is "spreading the word". Don't underestimate the
>> power forums compared to a "hidden" support list like this. In these
>> days I think they can be important for marketing purposes. A friendly
>> and well visited forum will draw attention from non Lasso users in
>> another-way than this list.
>
>> Yet another aspect is understanding of how a list works. I actually
>> hestitated a bit to mail here because I wasn't sure how it worked.
>> Now I see it works well, but I think it's much easier to get into a
>> forum. Many forums are based on phpBB and similar and then makes it
>> very familiar for people to use.
>
> It sounds as though you're not aware of
> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso

A great source. I've used it a lot. A bit slow sometimes though. Just
wish it would be possible to send messages directly form in there. I
still think a forum is more organized way for this purpose.

Pål

> -- greg willits

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Greg Willits
>>> One other aspect is "spreading the word". Don't underestimate the
>>> power forums compared to a "hidden" support list like this. In these
>>> days I think they can be important for marketing purposes. A
>>> friendly and well visited forum will draw attention from non Lasso
>>> users in another-way than this list.
>>
>>> Yet another aspect is understanding of how a list works. I actually
>>> hestitated a bit to mail here because I wasn't sure how it worked.
>>> Now I see it works well, but I think it's much easier to get into a
>>> forum. Many forums are based on phpBB and similar and then makes it
>>> very familiar for people to use.
>>
>> It sounds as though you're not aware of
>> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
>
> A great source. I've used it a lot. A bit slow sometimes though. Just
> wish it would be possible to send messages directly form in there. I
> still think a forum is more organized way for this purpose.

Duh, your first message started with saying the list was slow -- sorry
:-)

While I generally find the List archives to be just as effective as a
forum format for searching and finding content I want, I will grant you
that one impact to the list search system is that posts do not show up
in google searches whereas many forums do. Whether that's good or bad
is a toss up -- I'd say more often than not, when goggle offers up a
bunch of forum links they're useless to my quest. But sometimes,
they've been the key to hidden gems.

It would be rather handy to click a link to add to a thread directly
from the archives -- just provide a link to lasso talk email address
with subject prepopulated with the thread subject and perhaps start the
body off with a reference to the clicked on message with perhaps a
little message saying:

        Picking up an old thread:
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=149326

That'd be handy for people to refc the old thread, and to continue
discussion connected to it.

-- gw

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

jc-15
Do you find 1110 mails a bother? I tried to figure out how many mail
I have but gave up when the count exceeded 10 000. And I was only
about one third into my mailboxes. I tend to keep any message that's
sent to me. SPAM and other commercial messages are one exception.
Listmails are kept if I find the info relevant. If a mailbox get to
large I file them away into archive mailboxes. With irregular
intervals some issue come up when it turns out to be really nice that
I can search some particular message out and retrieve the info.

And beg your pardon but I don't find forums fitting into "all in one
place". First of all they are not in one place. They each have their
own URL. If I want to search for some particular subject and don't
remember in what forum I read it I would have to search each forum
separately. Whereas if the info came in a mail it would truly be in
one place. I would only have to search my mail boxes.

Finally quoting myself:
> Then I can read them when I feel like it. Delete messages of no
> interest for me. Save them in an archive (or several based on type
> of contact). Search them with ease. Read them offline (like in bed
> or bathroom...). Sort them based on thread or author. And all of
> this much faster than any online forum I've visited.

How do you do any of this in a forum? Read offline? Save in archive
(with ease)? Delete?

Well enough of this. I don't think it's a relevant Lasso subject
anymore. We each have our own flavors. That's why there's so many ice
creams. You like your forums and I like mail lists. And chocolate and
strawberry. Gregs proposal with an enchantment of the listsearch
sound good to me. Lets encourage Omnipilot to implement that.

HDB
JC

2005-05-27 kl. 10.25 skrev Greg Willits:

>>> It sounds as though you're not aware of
>>> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
>>
>> A great source. I've used it a lot. A bit slow sometimes though. Just
>> wish it would be possible to send messages directly form in there. I
>> still think a forum is more organized way for this purpose.
>
> Duh, your first message started with saying the list was slow -- sorry
> :-)
>
> While I generally find the List archives to be just as effective as a
> forum format for searching and finding content I want, I will grant
> you that one impact to the list search system is that posts do not
> show up in google searches whereas many forums do. Whether that's good
> or bad is a toss up -- I'd say more often than not, when goggle offers
> up a bunch of forum links they're useless to my quest. But sometimes,
> they've been the key to hidden gems.
>
> It would be rather handy to click a link to add to a thread directly
> from the archives -- just provide a link to lasso talk email address
> with subject prepopulated with the thread subject and perhaps start
> the body off with a reference to the clicked on message with perhaps a
> little message saying:
>
> Picking up an old thread:
> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=149326
>
> That'd be handy for people to refc the old thread, and to continue
> discussion connected to it.

Good idea. A simple solution that would deal with my concern. But I
guess you still have to subscribe.

Pål

> -- gw

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Bergstrom

2005-05-27 kl. 10.55 skrev JC:

> Do you find 1110 mails a bother? I tried to figure out how many mail I
> have but gave up when the count exceeded 10 000. And I was only about
> one third into my mailboxes. I tend to keep any message that's sent to
> me. SPAM and other commercial messages are one exception. Listmails
> are kept if I find the info relevant. If a mailbox get to large I file
> them away into archive mailboxes. With irregular intervals some issue
> come up when it turns out to be really nice that I can search some
> particular message out and retrieve the info.

That's a lot :-) I have ap that too, but I meant 1110 for my Lasso list
folder.

I archive mails after a while. No need for old mails in the client, but
good to have when I need to go back and find something.

> And beg your pardon but I don't find forums fitting into "all in one
> place". First of all they are not in one place. They each have their
> own URL. If I want to search for some particular subject and don't
> remember in what forum I read it I would have to search each forum
> separately. Whereas if the info came in a mail it would truly be in
> one place. I would only have to search my mail boxes.
>
> Finally quoting myself:
>> Then I can read them when I feel like it. Delete messages of no
>> interest for me. Save them in an archive (or several based on type of
>> contact). Search them with ease. Read them offline (like in bed or
>> bathroom...). Sort them based on thread or author. And all of this
>> much faster than any online forum I've visited.
>
> How do you do any of this in a forum? Read offline? Save in archive
> (with ease)? Delete?

Offline? I'm never offline :-)

Well it can happen. I didn't say the list is bad. I also see the
positive aspects of it. Perhaps one day I will get used to the list and
see it as better than a forum.

> Well enough of this. I don't think it's a relevant Lasso subject
> anymore. We each have our own flavors. That's why there's so many ice
> creams. You like your forums and I like mail lists. And chocolate and
> strawberry. Gregs proposal with an enchantment of the listsearch sound
> good to me. Lets encourage Omnipilot to implement that.

Yes. Good thinking.

DS
Pål

> HDB
> JC
>
> 27 maj 2005 kl. 09.27 skrev Pål Bergström:
>
>> Well, why bother the mail client when you can have it all in one
>> place (now 1110 mails in my Lasso list folder)? The forums I use are
>> equally fast and have all the things you ask for but without having
>> to sort it out yourself.

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

jc-15
> Offline? I'm never offline :-)

My professional life is completely centered around my PowerBook 12".
I have it with me everywhere. And although I have Airport and
Bluetooth I'm not always online. On the contrary, I live on a farm
that's really off line and can only access Internet on a lousy, shaky
modem connection. Liking the country life for other aspects than
connection I still tend to do a lot of my work from home. Especially
development work.

On my PB I have Lasso Developer, Mysql and a complete duplicate of
all DBs and files used in various projects. Using a tip I think Greg
came up with I have fake addresses that's handled locally. Like
www.xcompany.dev and www.yproject.dev instead of www.xcompany.com and
www.yproject.se etc. It's very convenient, very effective and allows
me to actually do most of my development work offline. Hence my
interest to also have everything smart said about Lasso at hand where
ever I lay my hat (computer...).

HDB
JC

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Paul Bergstrom

2005-05-27 kl. 11.31 skrev JC:

>> Offline? I'm never offline :-)
>
> My professional life is completely centered around my PowerBook 12". I
> have it with me everywhere. And although I have Airport and Bluetooth
> I'm not always online. On the contrary, I live on a farm that's really
> off line and can only access Internet on a lousy, shaky modem
> connection. Liking the country life for other aspects than connection
> I still tend to do a lot of my work from home. Especially development
> work.
>
> On my PB I have Lasso Developer, Mysql and a complete duplicate of all
> DBs and files used in various projects. Using a tip I think Greg came
> up with I have fake addresses that's handled locally. Like
> www.xcompany.dev and www.yproject.dev instead of www.xcompany.com and
> www.yproject.se etc. It's very convenient, very effective and allows
> me to actually do most of my development work offline. Hence my
> interest to also have everything smart said about Lasso at hand where
> ever I lay my hat (computer...).

That's clever, the .dev thing.

Pål

> HDB
> JC

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

jc-15

>> On my PB I have Lasso Developer, Mysql and a complete duplicate of
>> all DBs and files used in various projects. Using a tip I think
>> Greg came up with I have fake addresses that's handled locally.
>> Like www.xcompany.dev and www.yproject.dev instead of
>> www.xcompany.com and www.yproject.se etc. It's very convenient,
>> very effective and allows me to actually do most of my development
>> work offline. Hence my interest to also have everything smart said
>> about Lasso at hand where ever I lay my hat (computer...).
>>

> That's clever, the .dev thing.

Gregs the clever guy. Read all about it here:

http://www.ldml.org/articles/multisite_testing.lasso

HDB
JC

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

A while back, I switched my LassoTalk subscription to a GMail account.
The only thing I use this account for is mailing lists, so, in terms
of how you search, view, and reply to posts, it feels almost exactly
like a web-based forum, and keeps all that list traffic out of your
local Inbox.

Perhaps there is a lost opportunity in not having the search engines
index the archived posts from ListSearch.com, though...?

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Doug Gentry
I'm happy and comfortable with LassoTalk and the ListSearch archives.
Still, it is very cool when a community is based around WebCrossing,
where you can browse and search via the web, and send messages from
there. WebCrossing was and is the only web forum that "got" the
relationship between email and the web.

...Doug

On May 27, 2005, at 12:59 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:

>> It sounds as though you're not aware of
>> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
>
> A great source. I've used it a lot. A bit slow sometimes though. Just
> wish it would be possible to send messages directly form in there. I
> still think a forum is more organized way for this purpose.
>
> Pål

---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Re: Lasso slow or fast?

Ke Carlton
Another very useful (yet simple) feature for listsearch would be including
the subject of the message in the title of the html page. It would stop
bookmarks attempting to overwrite one another and let you glance through
them at ease.

Search engines would also appreciate this.