Lasso query quickbooks?

Steven Evans
Good morning.

As part of a purchase order system I am currently writing, I would
like to be able to query our in-house quickbooks for current
pricing.  I have researched some ODBC options, but all appear to be
pc-based and need to be installed on the client running the
quickbooks.  Is there no way to query the quickbook data files?  Has
anyone had experience with this?

Thanks.

sqe

Steven Q. Evans
Director of Technological Resources
MSI Productions
(858)344-3351 • (858)348-0629 • (707)215-1032 Fax • [hidden email]

Re: Lasso query quickbooks?

decorior
This is consistent with what we know. We have moved to QBOE which is
really no better :-)

Deco

On Jun 25, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Steven Q. Evans wrote:

> Good morning.
>
> As part of a purchase order system I am currently writing, I would
> like to be able to query our in-house quickbooks for current
> pricing.  I have researched some ODBC options, but all appear to be
> pc-based and need to be installed on the client running the
> quickbooks.  Is there no way to query the quickbook data files?
> Has anyone had experience with this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> sqe
>

> Steven Q. Evans
> Director of Technological Resources
> MSI Productions
> (858)344-3351 • (858)348-0629 • (707)215-1032 Fax •

Re: Lasso query quickbooks?

jasonhuck
I despise Quickbooks. It's been a constant source of headaches in our
organization.

Who makes "cross platform" software in which the PC and Mac file
formats are different?!? It's asinine.

Even on the same platform, differences between versions make it
practically impossible to reliably import data from a Quickbooks file.
Just ask your bank.

FWIW, I have heard good things about these guys:

http://www.freshbooks.com/

...and they have an API...new version coming soon...

- jason

On 6/25/07, Deco Rior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is consistent with what we know. We have moved to QBOE which is
> really no better :-)
>
> Deco
>

> On Jun 25, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Steven Q. Evans wrote:
>
> > Good morning.
> >
> > As part of a purchase order system I am currently writing, I would
> > like to be able to query our in-house quickbooks for current
> > pricing.  I have researched some ODBC options, but all appear to be
> > pc-based and need to be installed on the client running the
> > quickbooks.  Is there no way to query the quickbook data files?
> > Has anyone had experience with this?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > sqe
> >

> > Steven Q. Evans
> > Director of Technological Resources
> > MSI Productions
> > (858)344-3351 • (858)348-0629 • (707)215-1032 Fax •
> > [hidden email]
> >

> > --
> > This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/

Re: Lasso query quickbooks?

Justin Dennis
We're about to upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise Edition so that we
can gain ODBC access... I understand that it uses some type of
embedded Sybase server to provide ODBC read / write access directly
to tables. It's expensive ($5,000), but for us it's either upgrade or
hire another person in accounting.

Right now I am doing some VERY elaborate things with IIFs, and it's
not pretty. Even so, these are writing to QuickBooks, not reading.

We've tried some of the plugins, but they all seem a little funky and
not well suited to server-type processes where things are supposed to
be automated.

This may be a totally impractical solution for you, but have you
considered making a database your primary source of price data, and
using Lasso for both the price data entry interface and for feeding
QuickBooks thru IIFs? Instead of the other way around?

This is basically what we do. We keep "real" data in our database and
push it to QuickBooks as needed.

Please keep us updated. I, for one, am very interested in learning
better ways to integrate QuickBooks into our processes.

- Justin

> As part of a purchase order system I am currently writing, I would
> like to be able to query our in-house quickbooks for current
> pricing.  I have researched some ODBC options, but all appear to be
> pc-based and need to be installed on the client running the
> quickbooks.  Is there no way to query the quickbook data files?
> Has anyone had experience with this?

Re: Lasso query quickbooks?

rdwyer
We ended up installing QB for the PC and installed FileMaker on the
PC with it.  The FM database loops every 20 minutes retrieving QB
info, paids, unpaids, etc and updates our master file running on FM
Server 8 on OS X 10.4.  The integration for FileMaker and Quick Books
is done with a plugin called QuickBooks Link.
It was a pain to set up, but once done, works reliably providing
realtime (well, every 20 minutes) snapshots to our sales staffs FM
based contact managers.
Rick

On Jun 25, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Steven Q. Evans wrote:

> Good morning.
>
> As part of a purchase order system I am currently writing, I would
> like to be able to query our in-house quickbooks for current
> pricing.  I have researched some ODBC options, but all appear to be
> pc-based and need to be installed on the client running the
> quickbooks.  Is there no way to query the quickbook data files?
> Has anyone had experience with this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> sqe
>

> Steven Q. Evans
> Director of Technological Resources
> MSI Productions
> (858)344-3351 • (858)348-0629 • (707)215-1032 Fax •

Re: Lasso query quickbooks?

Mr. Bret Williams
We use AccountEdge (formerly MYOB) for accounting. It's much, much
better than quickbooks for companies that need inventory, payroll,
multi-level pricing, etc.. in fact, it's about the only reasonable
solution out there.

That said, it's very slow in multi-user mode..

The reason I bring it up is that there are ODBC hooks into the
database, primarily - as I understand - for queries only. I don't
think you can changed records.

I haven't tried it, but it's one reason we're working with it -
besides it being the most robust Mac solution - so we could
eventually do ODBC calls to the database.

On Jun 25, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Jason Huck wrote:

> I despise Quickbooks. It's been a constant source of headaches in our
> organization.
>
> Who makes "cross platform" software in which the PC and Mac file
> formats are different?!? It's asinine.
>
> Even on the same platform, differences between versions make it
> practically impossible to reliably import data from a Quickbooks file.
> Just ask your bank.
>
> FWIW, I have heard good things about these guys:
>
> http://www.freshbooks.com/
>
> ...and they have an API...new version coming soon...
>
> - jason
>

> On 6/25/07, Deco Rior <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is consistent with what we know. We have moved to QBOE which is
>> really no better :-)
>>
>> Deco
>>

>> On Jun 25, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Steven Q. Evans wrote:
>>
>> > Good morning.
>> >
>> > As part of a purchase order system I am currently writing, I would
>> > like to be able to query our in-house quickbooks for current
>> > pricing.  I have researched some ODBC options, but all appear to be
>> > pc-based and need to be installed on the client running the
>> > quickbooks.  Is there no way to query the quickbook data files?
>> > Has anyone had experience with this?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > sqe
>> >

>> > Steven Q. Evans
>> > Director of Technological Resources
>> > MSI Productions
>> > (858)344-3351 • (858)348-0629 • (707)215-1032 Fax •
>> > [hidden email]
>> >

>> > --
>> > This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

> Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
> Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
> for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
> http://tagSwap.net/

Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.