Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

rdwyer
Just installed Tiger 10.4.1 on a machine followed by an install of
Complete MySQL 4.0.21.  MySQL is running as I use Navicat to connect
to it.  Navicat runs on the MySQL machine and I connect via
"localhost".  No problems.  When I try to set up the new MySQL host
in the Lasso admin, it fails to find any databases.

I go back to the MySQL machine and use the terminal to confirm MySQL
is running. . . . it is.  I can connect and open tables when on this
machine.  It appears that MySQL running on Tiger is preventing
outside connections from being made.  I can even use Navicat on this
machine to connect to other MySQL installs running neighboring boxes
running OS 10.3.9 by entering their IP address in the Host IP.

Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Rick

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

jimsheffer
Might have to do with Apple moving the socket location from /tmp to
/var/mysql from Panther to Tiger.
I've heard similar problems with people using CocoaMySQL.  Navcat has a
setting to auto-detect the socket, so it works as always for most people.

Jim

On 6/16/05 1:03 PM, "Rick Dwyer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just installed Tiger 10.4.1 on a machine followed by an install of
> Complete MySQL 4.0.21.  MySQL is running as I use Navicat to connect
> to it.  Navicat runs on the MySQL machine and I connect via
> "localhost".  No problems.  When I try to set up the new MySQL host
> in the Lasso admin, it fails to find any databases.
>
> I go back to the MySQL machine and use the terminal to confirm MySQL
> is running. . . . it is.  I can connect and open tables when on this
> machine.  It appears that MySQL running on Tiger is preventing
> outside connections from being made.  I can even use Navicat on this
> machine to connect to other MySQL installs running neighboring boxes
> running OS 10.3.9 by entering their IP address in the Host IP.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
> Thanks
> Rick

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

Adam Randall
How are you setting up the host, with localhost, or the ip address of
the machine. Are you seeing connection errors in the Errors pane of
the Site Admin?

Adam.

On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Just installed Tiger 10.4.1 on a machine followed by an install of
> Complete MySQL 4.0.21.  MySQL is running as I use Navicat to
> connect to it.  Navicat runs on the MySQL machine and I connect via
> "localhost".  No problems.  When I try to set up the new MySQL host
> in the Lasso admin, it fails to find any databases.
>
> I go back to the MySQL machine and use the terminal to confirm
> MySQL is running. . . . it is.  I can connect and open tables when
> on this machine.  It appears that MySQL running on Tiger is
> preventing outside connections from being made.  I can even use
> Navicat on this machine to connect to other MySQL installs running
> neighboring boxes running OS 10.3.9 by entering their IP address in
> the Host IP.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
> Thanks
> Rick

Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
http://www.omnipilot.com/
(954) 874-3100
AIM/iChat: adamomni

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

rdwyer
Ok, so is this change made in the MySQL config file (I'm assuming
my.cnf)?
Thanks.
Rick
On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:09 PM, jimsheffer wrote:

> Might have to do with Apple moving the socket location from /tmp to
> /var/mysql from Panther to Tiger.
> I've heard similar problems with people using CocoaMySQL.  Navcat
> has a
> setting to auto-detect the socket, so it works as always for most
> people.
>
> Jim
>

> On 6/16/05 1:03 PM, "Rick Dwyer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Just installed Tiger 10.4.1 on a machine followed by an install of
>> Complete MySQL 4.0.21.  MySQL is running as I use Navicat to connect
>> to it.  Navicat runs on the MySQL machine and I connect via
>> "localhost".  No problems.  When I try to set up the new MySQL host
>> in the Lasso admin, it fails to find any databases.
>>
>> I go back to the MySQL machine and use the terminal to confirm MySQL
>> is running. . . . it is.  I can connect and open tables when on this
>> machine.  It appears that MySQL running on Tiger is preventing
>> outside connections from being made.  I can even use Navicat on this
>> machine to connect to other MySQL installs running neighboring boxes
>> running OS 10.3.9 by entering their IP address in the Host IP.
>>
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>> Thanks
>> Rick

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

afshad dinshaw
We had the exact same problem here. Lasso could not connect most of
the time and we got the error:
Malformed Packets. Lost connection to mysql. We went back to panther.
Incompatibility problem. Have you tried LAsso 8? Does it work?

Afshad E. Dinshaw
Research Assistant II
Virtual Technology Center
University of Houston
SR1 Room: 204
email: [hidden email]
Phone: 713-743-7741

On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Adam Randall wrote:

> How are you setting up the host, with localhost, or the ip address
> of the machine. Are you seeing connection errors in the Errors pane
> of the Site Admin?

Setting up the host in Lasso, I use the IP of the MySQL machine.  My
error log indicates error 1130 and " . . . not allowed to connect to
MySQL Server"
Rick

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

rdwyer
No, I haven't tried Lasso 8 as 7.x seems to work just fine with the
exception of connecting to Tiger.  I have a feeling if I revert back
to 10.3.9 with the same version of MySQL it will work.

Rick
On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:15 PM, afshad dinshaw wrote:

> We had the exact same problem here. Lasso could not connect most of
> the time and we got the error:
> Malformed Packets. Lost connection to mysql. We went back to
> panther. Incompatibility problem. Have you tried LAsso 8? Does it
> work?
>
> Afshad E. Dinshaw
> Research Assistant II
> Virtual Technology Center
> University of Houston
> SR1 Room: 204
> email: [hidden email]
> Phone: 713-743-7741
>

> On Jun 16, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:
>

>> Just installed Tiger 10.4.1 on a machine followed by an install of
>> Complete MySQL 4.0.21.  MySQL is running as I use Navicat to
>> connect to it.  Navicat runs on the MySQL machine and I connect
>> via "localhost".  No problems.  When I try to set up the new MySQL
>> host in the Lasso admin, it fails to find any databases.
>>
>> I go back to the MySQL machine and use the terminal to confirm
>> MySQL is running. . . . it is.  I can connect and open tables when
>> on this machine.  It appears that MySQL running on Tiger is
>> preventing outside connections from being made.  I can even use
>> Navicat on this machine to connect to other MySQL installs running
>> neighboring boxes running OS 10.3.9 by entering their IP address
>> in the Host IP.
>>
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>> Thanks
>> Rick

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

Adam Randall
That's a permissions problem between your lasso server and your mysql
server. Check your MySQL permissions. Are you on DHCP maybe?

Adam.

On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Adam Randall wrote:
>

>> How are you setting up the host, with localhost, or the ip address
>> of the machine. Are you seeing connection errors in the Errors
>> pane of the Site Admin?
>>

> Setting up the host in Lasso, I use the IP of the MySQL machine.
> My error log indicates error 1130 and " . . . not allowed to
> connect to MySQL Server"
> Rick

Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
http://www.omnipilot.com/
(954) 874-3100
AIM/iChat: adamomni

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

Olivier Miossec

> Setting up the host in Lasso, I use the IP of the MySQL machine.  My
> error log indicates error 1130 and " . . . not allowed to connect to
> MySQL Server"
> Rick

Strange what host do you have in the error message ?

Also can you see what do you have in mysql.user and mysql.host tables

---
Olivier Miossec
AIM/ichat omiossec
--
http://www.lasso-developpeur.net
--

Need a Lasso consultant ?
(Lasso, Java, Databases Consultant ...)

On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:29 PM, Adam Randall wrote:

> That's a permissions problem between your lasso server and your
> mysql server. Check your MySQL permissions. Are you on DHCP maybe?

I'm home at this point so further testing will have to wait until
Monday.  I'm fairly certain my permissions are set correctly and I
have an assigned IP not DHCP.  But I will look into the permissions
issue.

On Jun 16, 2005, at 8:30 PM, Olivier Miossec wrote:

>> Setting up the host in Lasso, I use the IP of the MySQL machine.  My
>> error log indicates error 1130 and " . . . not allowed to connect to
>> MySQL Server"
>> Rick
>>

> Strange what host do you have in the error message ?

The host in the error message is the IP of the lasso machine.

> Also can you see what do you have in mysql.user and mysql.host tables

I assume you mean the MySQL.User table on the MySQL machine (not the
lasso machine).  The user table contains the two default accounts
(root and unassigned) and a third account I setup and created.  I
have granted all permissions to this third account and can use it
successfully to connect to MySQL with Navicat on the MySQL machine.
It will not work when trying to connect from Lasso Admin using  the
same user and password.

I will play with this on Monday, but if I cannot resolve it, I will
Rick

> ---
> Olivier Miossec
> AIM/ichat omiossec
> --
> http://www.lasso-developpeur.net
> --
>
> Need a Lasso consultant ?
> (Lasso, Java, Databases Consultant ...)
> http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/oliviermiossec/

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

afshad dinshaw
After we went back to 10.3.9 we were fine. Mysql and lasso work fine.
We here also would like to move to Tiger.

Afshad E. Dinshaw
Research Assistant II
Virtual Technology Center
University of Houston
SR1 Room: 204
email: [hidden email]
Phone: 713-743-7741

On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2005, at 8:30 PM, Olivier Miossec wrote:
>

>>> Setting up the host in Lasso, I use the IP of the MySQL machine.  My
>>> error log indicates error 1130 and " . . . not allowed to connect to
>>> MySQL Server"
>>> Rick
>>>

>> Strange what host do you have in the error message ?
>>

> The host in the error message is the IP of the lasso machine.
>

>> Also can you see what do you have in mysql.user and mysql.host tables
>>

> I assume you mean the MySQL.User table on the MySQL machine (not
> the lasso machine).  The user table contains the two default
> accounts (root and unassigned) and a third account I setup and
> created.  I have granted all permissions to this third account and
> can use it successfully to connect to MySQL with Navicat on the
> MySQL machine.  It will not work when trying to connect from Lasso
> Admin using  the same user and password.
>
> I will play with this on Monday, but if I cannot resolve it, I will
> Rick
>

>> ---
>> Olivier Miossec
>> AIM/ichat omiossec
>> --
>> http://www.lasso-developpeur.net
>> --
>>
>> Need a Lasso consultant ?
>> (Lasso, Java, Databases Consultant ...)
>> http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/oliviermiossec/

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

Alan Golub
For what it's worth -- with Tiger 10.4.1 and Lasso 8.0.5, I had no trouble
connecting to mySQL v. 4.1.3. Even after upgrading from 10.3+, I had no
problem connecting - the upgrade was smooth as can be, and I didn't need to
revise any part of my config.

Alan S. Golub

On 6/16/05 5:30 PM, "afshad dinshaw" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After we went back to 10.3.9 we were fine. Mysql and lasso work fine.
> We here also would like to move to Tiger.
>
> Afshad E. Dinshaw
> Research Assistant II
> Virtual Technology Center
> University of Houston
> SR1 Room: 204
> email: [hidden email]
> Phone: 713-743-7741

>>> Strange what host do you have in the error message ?
>>>

>> The host in the error message is the IP of the lasso machine.
>>

>>> Also can you see what do you have in mysql.user and mysql.host tables
>>>

>> I assume you mean the MySQL.User table on the MySQL machine (not
>> the lasso machine).  The user table contains the two default
>> accounts (root and unassigned) and a third account I setup and
>> created.  I have granted all permissions to this third account and
>> can use it successfully to connect to MySQL with Navicat on the
>> MySQL machine.  It will not work when trying to connect from Lasso
>> Admin using  the same user and password.
>>
>> I will play with this on Monday, but if I cannot resolve it, I will
>> Rick
>>

>>> ---
>>> Olivier Miossec
>>> AIM/ichat omiossec
>>> --
>>> http://www.lasso-developpeur.net
>>> --
>>>
>>> Need a Lasso consultant ?
>>> (Lasso, Java, Databases Consultant ...)
>>> http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/oliviermiossec/
>>>
>>> --

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

Wade Maxfield
>Just installed Tiger 10.4.1 on a machine followed by an install of
>Complete MySQL 4.0.21.  MySQL is running as I use Navicat to connect
>to it.  Navicat runs on the MySQL machine and I connect via
>"localhost".  No problems.  When I try to set up the new MySQL host
>in the Lasso admin, it fails to find any databases.
>
>I go back to the MySQL machine and use the terminal to confirm MySQL
>is running. . . . it is.  I can connect and open tables when on this
>machine.  It appears that MySQL running on Tiger is preventing
>outside connections from being made.  I can even use Navicat on this
>machine to connect to other MySQL installs running neighboring boxes
>running OS 10.3.9 by entering their IP address in the Host IP.
>
>Anyone else have this problem?
>Thanks
>Rick

Straight out of left field here, but:

Have you checked the firewall settings on the Tiger machine?

I've just gone through a similar problem with a mate and FTP.  Can't
connect to any FTP servers, from machine with fresh install of Tiger.
Reboot to 10.3.9 and it's fine.
Tracked it down to the firewall being on under Tiger.  Turning it off
and the problems went away.
It seems that that the firewall is enabled by default on a clean
install of Tiger (I can't confirm this - but he says that he hadn't
turned it on)

  - Wade

Re: Lasso can't connect to MySQL under Tiger

rdwyer
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.  You have given me a
number of areas to look at when I return to work on Monday.
Rick