Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
We've got this one server running 10.4.7 OS X server and Lasso 8.5

Every three days I have to restart the lasso service because Lasso
eats up all the drive space.  I usually let this run down to about 3
gig then restart lasso service and the avail space pops back up to
about 23.4 gig on this machine which is what it has.

In the event I miss this the mail service on this machine will grind
to a halt and it wont receive any more email (writing to the full
drive wont work).

I could cron this but I'm after the underlying cause.

The system has 2 Gig of RAM and never seems to use up more than 1.2
Gig.  Lasso doesn't seem to be over-consuming processor cycles either.

Any ideas?

Brian

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Eric Landmann
Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, September 2, 2006:

>We've got this one server running 10.4.7 OS X server and Lasso 8.5
>
>Every three days I have to restart the lasso service because Lasso
>eats up all the drive space.  I usually let this run down to about 3
>gig then restart lasso service and the avail space pops back up to
>about 23.4 gig on this machine which is what it has.
>
>In the event I miss this the mail service on this machine will grind
>to a halt and it wont receive any more email (writing to the full
>drive wont work).
>
>I could cron this but I'm after the underlying cause.
>
>The system has 2 Gig of RAM and never seems to use up more than 1.2
>Gig.  Lasso doesn't seem to be over-consuming processor cycles either.
>
>Any ideas?

What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs great which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb currently after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1). Usually it is around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will peak at around 20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is pretty typical for OS X server. This server has 6Gb of physical RAM, so it's not exactly short of RAM. Perhaps the services running on your server are requiring tons of RAM.

Run top and see what it says, e.g.:

    top -s5 20

This will refresh every 20 seconds. Check the pageouts. Here is another thread that talks about what this all means:

    http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=154361

Hope that helps.

--Eric

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
I've run all the tools, done all my tricks that I know of. All I have
to do is restart lasso and I have 20 gigs more free space.  Doesn't
take a server restart. It isn't any other service.

Brian
On Sep 2, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday,
> September 2, 2006:
>
>> We've got this one server running 10.4.7 OS X server and Lasso 8.5
>>
>> Every three days I have to restart the lasso service because Lasso
>> eats up all the drive space.  I usually let this run down to about 3
>> gig then restart lasso service and the avail space pops back up to
>> about 23.4 gig on this machine which is what it has.
>>
>> In the event I miss this the mail service on this machine will grind
>> to a halt and it wont receive any more email (writing to the full
>> drive wont work).
>>
>> I could cron this but I'm after the underlying cause.
>>
>> The system has 2 Gig of RAM and never seems to use up more than 1.2
>> Gig.  Lasso doesn't seem to be over-consuming processor cycles
>> either.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs great
> which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb currently
> after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1). Usually it is
> around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will peak at around
> 20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is pretty typical for OS
> X server. This server has 6Gb of physical RAM, so it's not exactly
> short of RAM. Perhaps the services running on your server are
> requiring tons of RAM.
>
> Run top and see what it says, e.g.:
>
>     top -s5 20
>
> This will refresh every 20 seconds. Check the pageouts. Here is
> another thread that talks about what this all means:
>
>     http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=154361
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --Eric

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

m i l e s-5
B,

What version of Lasso ?

What version of the OS ?

What's the Hardware ?

Anything else installed aside from Lasso and the OS ?

If you want some help, then let's get a lil more specific.

M i l e s.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

JP-14
Miles ....B already provided most of the specs in his first message
to the thread.

On Sep 2, 2006, at 5:04 PM, m i l e s wrote:

> B,
>
> What version of Lasso ?
        He said Lasso 8.5
> What version of the OS ?
        He said OS X 10.4.7
> What's the Hardware ?
        All he said about this was it has 2GB of RAM and 23GB (or
thereabouts) of free disk space after a Lasso service restart

> Anything else installed aside from Lasso and the OS ?
        He said he's running mail server but he already ruled that out.

> If you want some help, then let's get a lil more specific.
>
> M i l e s.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

m i l e s-5
JP & B.

Sorry.  Missed that.

M i l e s.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

John May-2
>Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday,
>September 2, 2006:
>
>>We've got this one server running 10.4.7 OS X server and Lasso 8.5
>>
>>Every three days I have to restart the lasso service because Lasso
>>eats up all the drive space.  I usually let this run down to about 3
>>gig then restart lasso service and the avail space pops back up to
>>about 23.4 gig on this machine which is what it has.
>>
>>In the event I miss this the mail service on this machine will grind
>>to a halt and it wont receive any more email (writing to the full
>>drive wont work).
>>
>>I could cron this but I'm after the underlying cause.
>>
>>The system has 2 Gig of RAM and never seems to use up more than 1.2
>>Gig.  Lasso doesn't seem to be over-consuming processor cycles either.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
>What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs great
>which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb currently
>after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1). Usually it is
>around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will peak at around
>20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is pretty typical for OS X
>server. This server has 6Gb of physical RAM, so it's not exactly
>short of RAM. Perhaps the services running on your server are
>requiring tons of RAM.

What number are you looking at that's telling you your server's using
that much virtual memory?  The numbers you mention are certainly not
typical of OS X server at all.  There's no way you should have that
much paging to disk going on.

        - John

John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
yeah JEEZ miles.

On Sep 2, 2006, at 4:26 PM, m i l e s wrote:

> JP & B.
>
> Sorry.  Missed that.
>
> M i l e s.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
Here's the rub, running df reveals:

Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity
Mounted on
/dev/disk0s3             160565168 124263096 35790072    78%    /
devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
<volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100%    /.vol
automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /Network
automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%    /
automount/Servers
automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%    /
automount/static

Which shows that I ALWAYS have the free space, but the finder anytime
I open the window shows less and less.

When it gets down to nothing I get the finder disk full errors, but
df returns what you see above.

However postfix conks out and wont accept anymore mail.

restart lasso, df shows the same stuff, and then finder shows what
matches df.

then finder slowly starts to creep down.

On Sep 2, 2006, at 7:59 PM, John May wrote:

>> Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday,
>> September 2, 2006:
>>
>>> We've got this one server running 10.4.7 OS X server and Lasso 8.5
>>>
>>> Every three days I have to restart the lasso service because
>>> Lasso eats up all the drive space.  I usually let this run down
>>> to about 3 gig then restart lasso service and the avail space
>>> pops back up to about 23.4 gig on this machine which is what it has.
>>>
>>> In the event I miss this the mail service on this machine will
>>> grind to a halt and it wont receive any more email (writing to
>>> the full drive wont work).
>>>
>>> I could cron this but I'm after the underlying cause.
>>>
>>> The system has 2 Gig of RAM and never seems to use up more than
>>> 1.2 Gig.  Lasso doesn't seem to be over-consuming processor
>>> cycles either.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs
>> great which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb
>> currently after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1).
>> Usually it is around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will
>> peak at around 20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is pretty
>> typical for OS X server. This server has 6Gb of physical RAM, so
>> it's not exactly short of RAM. Perhaps the services running on
>> your server are requiring tons of RAM.
>
> What number are you looking at that's telling you your server's
> using that much virtual memory?  The numbers you mention are
> certainly not typical of OS X server at all.  There's no way you
> should have that much paging to disk going on.
>
> - John

> John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Paul Melia

On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:19 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> yeah JEEZ miles.
>
> On Sep 2, 2006, at 4:26 PM, m i l e s wrote:
>
>> JP & B.
>>
>> Sorry.  Missed that.
>>
>> M i l e s.

Hey!

No picking on Miles when he is not feeling well.
Or do I need to stop this list and take everyone back home for timeout?

:)

Paul

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian K. Middendorf
> No picking on Miles when he is not feeling well.

Miles is always fair game.  =)

> Or do I need to stop this list and take everyone back home for
> timeout?

Are we there yet Dad?

-brian.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
he started it!   I'm telling!! teacher!!

On Sep 2, 2006, at 10:24 PM, Paul Melia wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:19 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>
>> yeah JEEZ miles.
>>
>> On Sep 2, 2006, at 4:26 PM, m i l e s wrote:
>>
>>> JP & B.
>>>
>>> Sorry.  Missed that.
>>>
>>> M i l e s.
>>>

> Hey!
>
> No picking on Miles when he is not feeling well.
> Or do I need to stop this list and take everyone back home for
> timeout?
>
> :)
>
> Paul

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
and just for miles...

It's a cluster node dual 2.3 rear exhaust overhead cam 4 barrel 16 x
9  widescreen 5.1 dts thx 460 horsepower gunflake sunset dappled
metal 1u server.

On Sep 2, 2006, at 10:22 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> Here's the rub, running df reveals:
>
> Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity
> Mounted on
> /dev/disk0s3             160565168 124263096 35790072    78%    /
> devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
> fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
> <volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100%    /.vol
> automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /
> Network
> automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%    /
> automount/Servers
> automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%    /
> automount/static
>
> Which shows that I ALWAYS have the free space, but the finder
> anytime I open the window shows less and less.
>
> When it gets down to nothing I get the finder disk full errors, but
> df returns what you see above.
>
> However postfix conks out and wont accept anymore mail.
>
> restart lasso, df shows the same stuff, and then finder shows what
> matches df.
>
> then finder slowly starts to creep down.
>
> On Sep 2, 2006, at 7:59 PM, John May wrote:
>
>>> Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday,
>>> September 2, 2006:

>>> What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs
>>> great which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb
>>> currently after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1).
>>> Usually it is around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will
>>> peak at around 20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is
>>> pretty typical for OS X server. This server has 6Gb of physical
>>> RAM, so it's not exactly short of RAM. Perhaps the services
>>> running on your server are requiring tons of RAM.
>>
>> What number are you looking at that's telling you your server's
>> using that much virtual memory?  The numbers you mention are
>> certainly not typical of OS X server at all.  There's no way you
>> should have that much paging to disk going on.
>>
>> - John

>> John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>
>>       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Adam Randall-4
Do you have a lasso site that is going nuts logging stuff? It's
possible that it's eating up disk space, and by restarting lasso it's
clearing up the errors table, as well as the LassoService out file
in /private/tmp/

If you have your logging set to log everything to everywhere, you
might want to reduce it.

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Senior Web Architect

Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they
don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.
Hobbes: Isn't your pants zipper supposed to be in the front?

On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:38 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> and just for miles...
>
> It's a cluster node dual 2.3 rear exhaust overhead cam 4 barrel 16
> x 9  widescreen 5.1 dts thx 460 horsepower gunflake sunset dappled
> metal 1u server.
>

> On Sep 2, 2006, at 10:22 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>
>> Here's the rub, running df reveals:
>>
>> Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity
>> Mounted on
>> /dev/disk0s3             160565168 124263096 35790072    78%    /
>> devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
>> fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
>> <volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100%    /.vol
>> automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /
>> Network
>> automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%    /
>> automount/Servers
>> automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%    /
>> automount/static
>>
>> Which shows that I ALWAYS have the free space, but the finder
>> anytime I open the window shows less and less.
>>
>> When it gets down to nothing I get the finder disk full errors,
>> but df returns what you see above.
>>
>> However postfix conks out and wont accept anymore mail.
>>
>> restart lasso, df shows the same stuff, and then finder shows what
>> matches df.
>>
>> then finder slowly starts to creep down.

>>> What number are you looking at that's telling you your server's
>>> using that much virtual memory?  The numbers you mention are
>>> certainly not typical of OS X server at all.  There's no way you
>>> should have that much paging to disk going on.
>>>
>>> - John
>>>
>>> --

>>> John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
>>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>>
>>>       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

>>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
no I'm not going overboard on the logging, actually haven't changed
it from the default.

There is a site that is massively active, it's indexing rss feeds
every fifteen minutes.  The box itself stays pegged at about 20% CPU
during the fifteen minute intervals it's running at 80% cpu for about
4 - 5 minutes.

On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Adam Randall wrote:

> Do you have a lasso site that is going nuts logging stuff? It's
> possible that it's eating up disk space, and by restarting lasso
> it's clearing up the errors table, as well as the LassoService out
> file in /private/tmp/
>
> If you have your logging set to log everything to everywhere, you
> might want to reduce it.
>
> Adam.
>
> --
> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
> Senior Web Architect
> Stork Avenue, Inc.
> http://www.storkavenue.com/
> (800) 861-5437
> AIM/iChat: blitz574
>
> Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they
> don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the
> world.
> Hobbes: Isn't your pants zipper supposed to be in the front?
>

> On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:38 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>
>> and just for miles...
>>
>> It's a cluster node dual 2.3 rear exhaust overhead cam 4 barrel 16
>> x 9  widescreen 5.1 dts thx 460 horsepower gunflake sunset dappled
>> metal 1u server.
>>

>> On Sep 2, 2006, at 10:22 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the rub, running df reveals:
>>>
>>> Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity
>>> Mounted on
>>> /dev/disk0s3             160565168 124263096 35790072    78%    /
>>> devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
>>> fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
>>> <volfs>                       1024      1024        0
>>> 100%    /.vol
>>> automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /
>>> Network
>>> automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%    /
>>> automount/Servers
>>> automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%    /
>>> automount/static
>>>
>>> Which shows that I ALWAYS have the free space, but the finder
>>> anytime I open the window shows less and less.
>>>
>>> When it gets down to nothing I get the finder disk full errors,
>>> but df returns what you see above.
>>>
>>> However postfix conks out and wont accept anymore mail.
>>>
>>> restart lasso, df shows the same stuff, and then finder shows
>>> what matches df.
>>>
>>> then finder slowly starts to creep down.

>>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

JP-14
I do wonder if the indexing of the rss feeds is really causing this?

Lasso itself doesn't really gobble that much CPU unless it's doing
something CPU cycle intensive (like mass emailing).  But Lasso is
pretty nice about releasing unnecessary stuff back to the pool.  (Yes
there are some RARE occasions that Lasso doesn't but it's pretty DARN
rare).  Keep in mind that this is based on what I have read in the
under the hood.  I could be far off or pretty right on ....just my
collective thoughts working here.

Here's an idea that might be worth thinking about .....  create Lasso
code to create a table, add records (the rss feeds info) and then let
your db server index the table instead of having Mac OS doing it?
The table could be temporary or one that gets cleaned out on a
regular basis of old RSS feeds, etc.

All I know about those RSS feeds ....massive amounts of information
that could be taxing the MacOS during the indexing operaitons?

If my idea isn't good ..just don't shoot me ...I'm needed on a
project I'm working on.

jp

On Sep 3, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> no I'm not going overboard on the logging, actually haven't changed
> it from the default.
>
> There is a site that is massively active, it's indexing rss feeds
> every fifteen minutes.  The box itself stays pegged at about 20%
> CPU during the fifteen minute intervals it's running at 80% cpu for
> about 4 - 5 minutes.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Perhaps someone is doing a file upload that never stops uploading a file.  For kicks, check the directory that stores the temporary uploaded files and see if there's one that is really really big (or if there is thousands of small ones).

- Bil

Brian Loomis wrote:

> Here's the rub, running df reveals:
>
> Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/disk0s3             160565168 124263096 35790072    78%    /
> devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
> fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
> <volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100%    /.vol
> automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /Network
> automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%
> /automount/Servers
> automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%
> /automount/static
>
> Which shows that I ALWAYS have the free space, but the finder anytime I
> open the window shows less and less.
>
> When it gets down to nothing I get the finder disk full errors, but df
> returns what you see above.
>
> However postfix conks out and wont accept anymore mail.
>
> restart lasso, df shows the same stuff, and then finder shows what
> matches df.
>
> then finder slowly starts to creep down.

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
looks like df is tied to finder on this.  Restarted lasso again and
the filesystem freed up the space in both areas, 20 Gig worth.

Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity
Mounted on
/dev/disk0s3             160565168 115481696 44571472    72%    /
devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
<volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100%    /.vol
automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /Network
automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%    /
automount/Servers
automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%    /
automount/static

On Sep 2, 2006, at 7:59 PM, John May wrote:

>> Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday,
>> September 2, 2006:
>>
>>> We've got this one server running 10.4.7 OS X server and Lasso 8.5
>>>
>>> Every three days I have to restart the lasso service because
>>> Lasso eats up all the drive space.  I usually let this run down
>>> to about 3 gig then restart lasso service and the avail space
>>> pops back up to about 23.4 gig on this machine which is what it has.
>>>
>>> In the event I miss this the mail service on this machine will
>>> grind to a halt and it wont receive any more email (writing to
>>> the full drive wont work).
>>>
>>> I could cron this but I'm after the underlying cause.
>>>
>>> The system has 2 Gig of RAM and never seems to use up more than
>>> 1.2 Gig.  Lasso doesn't seem to be over-consuming processor
>>> cycles either.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs
>> great which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb
>> currently after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1).
>> Usually it is around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will
>> peak at around 20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is pretty
>> typical for OS X server. This server has 6Gb of physical RAM, so
>> it's not exactly short of RAM. Perhaps the services running on
>> your server are requiring tons of RAM.
>
> What number are you looking at that's telling you your server's
> using that much virtual memory?  The numbers you mention are
> certainly not typical of OS X server at all.  There's no way you
> should have that much paging to disk going on.
>
> - John

> John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Brian Loomis
anyone seen anything like this?  a 20 gig paging file?

On Sep 3, 2006, at 10:08 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> looks like df is tied to finder on this.  Restarted lasso again and
> the filesystem freed up the space in both areas, 20 Gig worth.
>
> Filesystem              512-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity
> Mounted on
> /dev/disk0s3             160565168 115481696 44571472    72%    /
> devfs                          190       190        0   100%    /dev
> fdesc                            2         2        0   100%    /dev
> <volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100%    /.vol
> automount -nsl [154]             0         0        0   100%    /
> Network
> automount -fstab [165]           0         0        0   100%    /
> automount/Servers
> automount -static [165]          0         0        0   100%    /
> automount/static
>
> On Sep 2, 2006, at 7:59 PM, John May wrote:
>
>>> Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday,
>>> September 2, 2006:

>>> What makes you think it is Lasso? We have an XServe that runs
>>> great which typically consumes gigs of virtual memory (14 Gb
>>> currently after a restart yesterday installing Lasso 8.5.1).
>>> Usually it is around the 20-23Gb range. The amount consumed will
>>> peak at around 20-25Gb, then stay there,w hich I believe is
>>> pretty typical for OS X server. This server has 6Gb of physical
>>> RAM, so it's not exactly short of RAM. Perhaps the services
>>> running on your server are requiring tons of RAM.
>>
>> What number are you looking at that's telling you your server's
>> using that much virtual memory?  The numbers you mention are
>> certainly not typical of OS X server at all.  There's no way you
>> should have that much paging to disk going on.
>>
>> - John

>> John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>
>>       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Lasso and Available Disk Space Weekly Puzzler

Adam Randall-4
It won't be your paging file. Here's what I suggest. When the space
gets eaten up, check these locations:

/tmp
/Applications/Lasso Professional 8/

When lasso is restarting, the LassoService8.out file is flushed in
the /tmp directory. Additionally, the error logs trimmed during the
startup process in the SQLiteDBs folders. The fastest way to check
these locations is to do this:

du -sh /tmp
du -sh /Applications/Lasso\ Professional\ 8/

This should give you an idea as to why this is happening. Now, if you
have something that is logging out a lot, even if it's not going to
your LassoErrors.txt or Errors table, it will be in the
LassoService8.out file. All your SQL statements would be logged here
as well.

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Senior Web Architect

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated
by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin