Lasso Resurgence

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lasso Resurgence

Rick Draper-2
Just wanted to say that while many are not seeing a future with Lasso, we have just today launched a major application written in Lasso 9

Exceptional work by Ke Carlton on WasteID !

Very best regards

Rick Draper




#############################################################

This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso Resurgence

Marc Vos-3
Well, I have also thought many times about trading Lasso in for PHP.
It would save me money – not only the license costs, but mainly RAM, which I rent from ANU. RAM is expensive and Lasso8 and 9 are a real memory-eaters:

       2583 _lasso    20   0 6464m 4.1g  12m S  0.7 61.6 400:39.64 lassoserver                                                                    

61.6% of memory used by a single instance of Lasso 9.3.2 on a virtual machine with 6GB RAM, with only a few users accessing the L9 webpages.

But then I remember why I chose Lasso back in 2004, and I check if my arguments are still valid.
And they are, for 90%. The other 10% is about batch processing of data server-side only, like sending e-mail, processing FTP uploads, handling REST-calls, etc..
I did that in L8 via L8-scripts in the event-scheduler, but porting those few to L9 as standalone scripts that must be called from the command prompt, was way too complicated; which made me switch to PHP for those, and new, batch-scripts.

So I stick with Lasso for interactive web pages.
I have developed a framework for Lasso 8 & 9 and PHP with which I can setup a business backoffice site within a day or two.
I have developed a Lasso code generator in Xojo (prev. REALStudio/REALbasic) which generates a 'ready-for-use'-web app for my L8/L9-framework.
I think I have to put these up for sale one day!

- -
Marc Vos


On 25-07-2016 11:16, "Rick Draper" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Just wanted to say that while many are not seeing a future with Lasso, we have just today launched a major application written in Lasso 9
   
    Exceptional work by Ke Carlton on WasteID !
   
    Very best regards
   
    Rick Draper
   
   
   
   
    #############################################################
   
    This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
      the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
    Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
    To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
    Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
   



#############################################################

This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>