Lasso Hondas

Brian Loomis-2
One of the things I would like to see in the framework is something
similar to Ruby Gems.

I was struck with Jono's framwork management using subversion and I
think in any good framework there needs to be an ability to
standardize and syncronize common elements between applicaitions and
projects.

Digging through old projects to find code to cut and paste sucks and
is a waste of time.

I would like to be able to have a library of types and pull them into
a project with the lasso ftp tags, similar to how ruby gems are
installed.

A honda is the small knot that holds a  lasso together and I think we
should use knot names for different elements of the framework
whatever language they are in, swedish, english, spanish etc.

http://www.juggling.org/books/lasso/HTML/chap1.html

Let's reserve the term honda for a library element or type that can
be standardized around and the inclusion of automated, for example in
rails there is acts_as_authenticated.

Any ideas about this?
If we can develop hondas for calendar types, authetication types,
image types, and embed types (quicktime, flash applets etc) it would
be great.

Brian

(log in with your email and ConfirmationID as password, send message to
<[hidden email]> to get that ID)

Re: Lasso Hondas

Johan Solve-2
Noted.

Good thoughts, both the need to handle common elements or modules without duplication, and the use of lasso or knot terms for framework parts.

As an alternative to actually copy the code for the module as you say ruby gems are installed, something similar to my include_global tag could be used (and similar to what Jono talked about in his presentation) to have it look for a module first within the root of the solution, and if not found there it looks one level above the web root where common modules can be stored, and finally if it doesn't find what it's looking for there either then it looks in a default location which could serve as a central repository for common modules.

That way different levels of local overrides are possible for those common modules, without any reconfiguration other than dropping in the module in the right location.

http://tagswap.net/include_global

A drawback with this is that it only works within the same physical server. But it might feel nice to not sprinkle the server with identical copies of a module, even if the copy happens transparently.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Member, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer