Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Todd Vainisi-2
Hi Listers,

This has probably been fixed in lasso 9, but for various reasons, I am unable to move from 8.6 at this time.

I have to restart lasso every couple days because it continually hogs up more and more memory resources each hour of the day that its running (in top the RES column just grows every minute - starts at ~70m and will climb over 1gb over the course of a handful of days).  I have had a person or two theorize that this is because I have pages that have custom tag defined on them and each time they run they consume a little more.  I’ve gone in and tried to eliminate a lot of that (but not all of it, I’m sure, as I was making custom tags without this problem for years).  And in any case, it doesn’t seem to have helped much (anecdotal) as if I forget about the machine over a long weekend, when I come back its performing at a crawl.

Does this scenario ring true to anyone else (that the problem is my use of custom tags?  Is there a fix planned - it seems like a really unfair “gotcha” to me (if its true)?  

Is there a script I can write (but not a custom tag, lol) that can detect that lasso is consuming too many resources and force a lasso8ctl restart?

Todd V


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Hi Todd,

In Lasso 8 it's not likely to be the redefining of custom tags. In Lasso 9, yes, but not in Lasso 8.

It's more likely to be PDF, file or image transactions, and more acute if you're dealing with large ones.

One way to isolate is to move one of the websites to a separate Lasso Site, and monitor the memory consumption of the different site processes. If the new site's process doesn't bloat like the original site's process, move another... etc, until you isolate the offender. Then you have a better idea of where to look.

Thanks
Jono


On Jun 13, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Todd Vainisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> This has probably been fixed in lasso 9, but for various reasons, I am unable to move from 8.6 at this time.
>
> I have to restart lasso every couple days because it continually hogs up more and more memory resources each hour of the day that its running (in top the RES column just grows every minute - starts at ~70m and will climb over 1gb over the course of a handful of days).  I have had a person or two theorize that this is because I have pages that have custom tag defined on them and each time they run they consume a little more.  I’ve gone in and tried to eliminate a lot of that (but not all of it, I’m sure, as I was making custom tags without this problem for years).  And in any case, it doesn’t seem to have helped much (anecdotal) as if I forget about the machine over a long weekend, when I come back its performing at a crawl.
>
> Does this scenario ring true to anyone else (that the problem is my use of custom tags?  Is there a fix planned - it seems like a really unfair “gotcha” to me (if its true)?  
>
> Is there a script I can write (but not a custom tag, lol) that can detect that lasso is consuming too many resources and force a lasso8ctl restart?
>
> Todd V

Jono

----------------------------
Jonathan Guthrie
[hidden email]
@iamjono
LassoSoft Inc.
AIM Chatroom: lassochat

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Brad Lindsay
On 6/13/14, 11:21 AM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
> In Lasso 8 it's not likely to be the redefining of custom tags. In Lasso 9, yes, but not in Lasso 8.

And newer version of Lasso 9 have mitigated this considerably. That
being said, best practice says to only redefine a method if you need to
change its definition. Most of the time, that means you should put your
custom definitions into LassoStartup (or in a LassoApp or compiled and
in LassoLibraries).

Brad
#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Carl Ketterling
In reply to this post by Todd Vainisi-2
Todd,

I have a similar problem.  I¹m using Lasso v9.2.4 running on Mac OS X Server
v10.7.5, connecting to FileMaker Server (v11 I think).

My problem started after adding lines like this:

        local(theLocalVariable) =
curl('https://www.thursby.com/anotherpage.html')->asstring;
        local(theOtherLocalVariable) = # theLocalVariable->trim &
split('sometext')->first;
        #theOtherLocalVariable->trim
        #theOtherLocalVariable->replace('moretext', 'replacement of
moretext');
        #theOtherLocalVariable->replace('even more text', ' replacement of
even more text');

        #theOtherLocalVariable

I was trying to load the basic page framework of one site from another site
of mine.  Since doing this, the server has frozen more than once per week.

To mitigate this problem, I learned about Lasso¹s caching and have
implemented it in this section.  Now, the server freezes every two weeks or
so (I¹ve set it to reboot every week).

Obviously, I¹m also very interested in how to troubleshoot this problem and
ultimately in a resolution.

Carl


From: Todd Vainisi <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:07:34 -0400
To: Lasso Talk <[hidden email]>
Subject: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Hi Listers,

This has probably been fixed in lasso 9, but for various reasons, I am
unable to move from 8.6 at this time.

I have to restart lasso every couple days because it continually hogs up
more and more memory resources each hour of the day that its running (in top
the RES column just grows every minute - starts at ~70m and will climb over
1gb over the course of a handful of days).  I have had a person or two
theorize that this is because I have pages that have custom tag defined on
them and each time they run they consume a little more.  I¹ve gone in and
tried to eliminate a lot of that (but not all of it, I¹m sure, as I was
making custom tags without this problem for years).  And in any case, it
doesn¹t seem to have helped much (anecdotal) as if I forget about the
machine over a long weekend, when I come back its performing at a crawl.

Does this scenario ring true to anyone else (that the problem is my use of
custom tags?  Is there a fix planned - it seems like a really unfair
³gotcha² to me (if its true)?

Is there a script I can write (but not a custom tag, lol) that can detect
that lasso is consuming too many resources and force a lasso8ctl restart?

Todd V


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Daniel Parker
In reply to this post by Brad Lindsay

On 14/06/2014, at 4:13 am, Brad Lindsay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/13/14, 11:21 AM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>> In Lasso 8 it's not likely to be the redefining of custom tags. In Lasso 9, yes, but not in Lasso 8.
>
> And newer version of Lasso 9 have mitigated this considerably. That being said, best practice says to only redefine a method if you need to change its definition. Most of the time, that means you should put your custom definitions into LassoStartup (or in a LassoApp or compiled and in LassoLibraries).

My site is also crashing on a regular basis.. about once or twice a week. I thought I found the cause with our Logs database growing to 2.5gb (This certainly was a cause of issues, but I have had another crash since)

I store all of my tags in a single file, which is called via an include on every page that needs to use them.

Our memory usage grows to about 4GB (of a maximum 4GB) then crosses over into swap, where it quickly crashes. (Machine is running normally, Apache will respond to things like image requests not requiting Lasso, anything Lasso related will not load)

Running Lasso 9.2.7 of CentOS 6 64bit. I am about to increase the amount of memory in the machine to see if the RAM used climbs to a new limit prior to crashing.

Daniel
#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Once a type or method is defined in lasso 9 it stays defined until the instance is restarted.

That may be the reason for your memory creep in lasso 9...

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 13, 2014, at 4:53 PM, Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I store all of my tags in a single file, which is called via an include on every page that needs to use them.
#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

stevepiercy
In reply to this post by Todd Vainisi-2
Another possible suspect is cache.  The same thing happens to
me.  I use PDF, too, but they are less than 1MB each, so I
suspect that less than cache.

One time when resources had climbed up, a user reported that
they could not toggle the language on a web site.  I use Knop on
the site, knop_lang to do translations, and I cache the
languages.  I also cache knop_nav elements.  I noticed that the
site had page content in Spanish while the navigation was in English.

As far as how to monitor and automatically restart Lasso, see
this article:
http://www.lassosoft.com/Monitoring-Lasso-with-Monit

--steve


On 6/13/14 at 10:07 AM, [hidden email] (Todd
Vainisi) pronounced:

>Hi Listers,
>
>This has probably been fixed in lasso 9, but for various
>reasons, I am unable to move from 8.6 at this time.
>
>I have to restart lasso every couple days because it
>continually hogs up more and more memory resources each hour of
>the day that its running (in top the RES column just grows
>every minute - starts at ~70m and will climb over 1gb over the
>course of a handful of days).  I have had a person or two
>theorize that this is because I have pages that have custom tag
>defined on them and each time they run they consume a little
>more.  I’ve gone in and tried to eliminate a lot of that (but
>not all of it, I’m sure, as I was making custom tags without
>this problem for years).  And in any case, it doesn’t seem to
>have helped much (anecdotal) as if I forget about the machine
>over a long weekend, when I come back its performing at a crawl.
>
>Does this scenario ring true to anyone else (that the problem
>is my use of custom tags?  Is there a fix planned - it seems
>like a really unfair “gotcha” to me (if its true)?
>Is there a script I can write (but not a custom tag, lol) that
>can detect that lasso is consuming too many resources and force
>a lasso8ctl restart?
>Todd V
>
>
>#############################################################
>This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
>Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
>To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Soquel, CA
<[hidden email]>               <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Daniel Parker
In reply to this post by Jonathan Guthrie-3

On 14/06/2014, at 8:56 am, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once a type or method is defined in lasso 9 it stays defined until the instance is restarted.
>
> That may be the reason for your memory creep in lasso 9...

This is how I understood it to.. So no matter how many times these tags are included, its only the first time it is run that really matters, so this shouldn't be an issue?

Daniel
#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Yes it does matter. Each time you redefine it it's probably consuming a little more memory.

As Brad said, define it once and leave it alone.

Put it in lassostartup or load via an _init in a lassoapp.

Or use
not lasso_tagexists('something') ? Include('filethatdefinessomething.lasso')

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 13, 2014, at 6:08 PM, Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> On 14/06/2014, at 8:56 am, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Once a type or method is defined in lasso 9 it stays defined until the instance is restarted.
>>
>> That may be the reason for your memory creep in lasso 9...
>
> This is how I understood it to.. So no matter how many times these tags are included, its only the first time it is run that really matters, so this shouldn't be an issue?
>
> Daniel
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
> Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lasso 8.6 resource consumption

Daniel Parker

On 14/06/2014, at 11:12 am, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes it does matter. Each time you redefine it it's probably consuming a little more memory.
>
> As Brad said, define it once and leave it alone.
>
> Put it in lassostartup or load via an _init in a lassoapp.
>
> Or use
> not lasso_tagexists('something') ? Include('filethatdefinessomething.lasso')

Interesting.. I didn't realise that this would occur (I though that if it was defined, it would basically get ignored if redefined).

I did a test..

[loop:1000000]
[include:'/includes/lib/tags.lasso']
[/loop]

It consumes about 2mb a second for the first 4 minutes, then about 2GB/sec until it crashes.. weird.

Anyway, now I have something to fix. Thanks.

Daniel
#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list Lasso [hidden email]
Official list archives available at http://www.lassotalk.com
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>